YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram Yoga and Acne
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2009-01-07 7:03 PM (#112800 - in reply to #101900)
Subject: RE: Bikram Yoga and Acne

Expert Yogi

tabula_rasa - 2008-01-13 12:57 AM

cyndi, so you mix all the sauce materials and don't heat it up at all? no stir frying it either?(i noticed on yahoo search that bitter melons are used as part ingredient on stir frying.)

I was in Italy when this came up...and today I just found it because someone stirred the pot here on this thread.

Yes, Tabula Rasa if you're still out there, you mix it all up and let the flavors mingle as long as possible. This is a good sauce for Mo Mo's, and Chinese Dumplings too!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
karen
Posted 2009-02-03 1:09 PM (#113347 - in reply to #10432)

I have read all the comments here and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of the clothing. I went to my dermatologist yesterday and she asked me if I worked out a lot and then she said that working out can cause acne breakouts. in fact i have the kind of skin that gets raised up red bumps if i casually lightly scratch it. apparently this is some kind of allergic response and some people have this. So anyway this got me to thinking about the clothing that I wear. She told me that my face was perfect. I use the great neutrogena salicytic acid stuff. But it wasnt working on my back. So I think its because I always use two cotton shirts which I sweat through and through. So now, I'm thinking with this back acne, maybe its better to get that high tech stuff that wicks away the moisture from the skin. someone please comment.

also, I am a huge advocate for proper eating, I eat 99% of the time organic, and superfoods only. I'm loving the winter months root veggies that are cheap and easy to fix. However, I know that the diet alone is not the culprit.

Dermatologist will help, but cleaning your mat regularly, using socks in the room and trying to step only on your mat with your clean feet is important. Washing after and being careful about wearing something on your head, like a bandana so that gel and conditioner products don't clog pores on the face is also key.

One more thing. The cell phones, we never think to clean them ever, and if you have acne on your lower right cheek, it is the phone, 100%.
icandoit
Posted 2009-02-05 4:54 PM (#113397 - in reply to #10432)

Hello, I just started bikram yoga in Oct. and I did have acne, but now it has gotten worse, it is actually finally clearing up. I make sure I wipe my face alot during yoga and wash it first thing. I have been using a product called Proactive for the past 10 yrs. and I have seen and felt a difference w/my skin, I haven't taken antibiotics for acne since I was 25. I also, do think the toxins are coming out and we just happen to have sensative skin. I also have found a cyst like bump on my knee that hasn't gone down. I haven't asked any of the instructors but I will and see what they say. Good luck!
onthefloor
Posted 2009-02-06 10:09 PM (#113451 - in reply to #10473)

Gracie - 2004-10-02 3:43 PM

I know they say that food doesn't cause acne, but I believe it does!

Gracie, you're on the right track here.... however, food is NOT a DIRECT cause of acne but it definitely is a factor of it. Remember, "you are what you eat" and having a clean / healthy diet is definitely beneficial to your body inside and OUT (your skin).
nutriangel
Posted 2009-07-09 3:57 PM (#116932 - in reply to #10432)
Subject: Re: Bikram Yoga and Acne

I will be a licensed esthetician in about 1 month and I have been representing a wonderful Australian naturally derived skincare product for 10 years and I've always had really clear skin. I started doing Bikram yoga about 4 months ago and for the first time in my life, I have been breaking out, pretty badly. Closed comedones along mainly the jaw area and when they are extracted they are full of bacteria...I've gone on two trips where I could not do yoga for a week or so at a time and the blemishes totally cleared up---then when I returned to yoga, the blemishes came back immediately. I have been a vegetarian for 13 years and I have taken a detox supplement for about 4 years so I really do not agree that this is a case of my body detoxifying that is causing the acne. I have spoken to my esthetics instructor and I believe that this is a simple case of a bacteria filled mat and towel that is coming into contact with my skin and is causing the breakouts... I am going to consider quitting yoga, which I love so much, but first I am going to try the following:
_washing my yoga mat with soap and water AND spraying it with a germicidal solution (EPA/ barbicide) after and before every class.
_of course I already wash my face before class (or at least I never wear makeup into the studio)
_using a new towel for the poses in which my face touches the towel (like locust, etc)
_cleanse, TONE and moisturize IMMEDIATELY AFTER class (instead of waiting until I get home to do so in the shower)

I am not much of a germ freak BUT I can't tolerate this new problem especially as I am going to be a licensed esthetician. As for ProActive, it contains benzoyl peroxide, which helps to minimize breakouts by keeping the bacteria dormant in the skin--controls it but doesn't really kill the bacteria. I'd suggest high frequency blue electrodes to kill the bacteria--that has helped me. ProActiv also bleaches towels white though and is very drying for the skin, from what I have heard from my clients, and it has caused many of my clients a reaction so I would not personally use that. I am considering using our skin care line for troubled skin as it contains Tea Tree Oil, a natural antiseptic.

Posted 2009-07-09 5:21 PM (#116937 - in reply to #10432)

Really hope you do not have to quit yoga!! That would be tragic. Let us know how your experiments work... always good to learn new techniques. I bet the towel could do the trick... if it's just your face, you don't even need an entire new towel, just bring in a nice clean handtowel to lay down under your head. I see a lot of people who do this.
hamsandwich
Posted 2009-07-09 5:48 PM (#116938 - in reply to #10432)

I took a break from yoga for a week and a half and my face cleared up. Since then, I've been vigilant about washing with Clean and Clear Astringent wash in the morning when I get up, and right before bed, in addition to when I get home after class. Sometimes midday if needed. Since then, no problems.

I try not to touch my face after or during class.

This has helped tremendously.
joysweat
Posted 2009-07-09 7:28 PM (#116940 - in reply to #116938)

I have insanely sensitive skin and find it helps to wash my face immediately before class (esp for make-up removal); after class I wash my hands with soap right away, and then rinse my face with water several times. A shower follows pretty quickly, and that routine does it for me. In fact, I've been told that I have great skin more often since starting Bikram. But the longer that sweat sits on my skin, the more likely something nasty will bud.
StillOne
Posted 2009-07-10 2:04 PM (#116956 - in reply to #10432)

i found great success through a website that i found online. acne.org. check it out. you have to stick with the regimen but it's very gentile and very inexpensive, compartively speaking. check it out! i highly recommend it. oh... and i realize that since i'm new to this forum that people will be skeptical. please, at least check it out. i've been pretty much acne free for 3 years now thanks to them where doctors prescriptions and proactive didn't work.

a bit more info... i found other products to be very irritating (astringents, solutions etc.) this method seemed very logical so i tried it out. you have to be patient but will see results with consistency. i also realized that the previous solutions would irritate my skin so much and as a result be more susceptible to inflammation. i decided to start using as my soap a cooling and calming product by alba botanicals called sea lettuce cleansing milk which calmed my skin considerably. i also use as my lotion an alba product called something like aloe and green tea face lotion. both of these seemed to calm and cool my irritated skin quite a bit. in conjunction with the acne.org 2% benzyl peroxide solution it worked like a charm!

Edited by StillOne 2009-07-10 2:19 PM
A. Michele
Posted 2009-07-19 12:53 AM (#117051 - in reply to #10432)

I am really relieved to have found this page. I went for my first Bikram Yoga session in four years and I knew that the release of toxins in my body (of which there are many) could make me whoosy or even nauseous but I noticed that my normally smooth face was very rough and sort of broken out.

As someone mentioned earlier, I do not blame Bikram Yoga at all but the release of toxins in my body for the breakout. That just means that I will need to go more frequently and work on my diet to keep the nasty toxins out of my body in the first place.

I appreciate the tips on washing the face after class and using two towels. I almost stopped to rinse my face before I left the studio today but decided to wait until I got back home. I ended up running errands that took two hours while the sewat and toxins sat on my skin. Again, I will try all of your helpful tips and check in later.
nassim
Posted 2010-05-18 12:32 AM (#122976 - in reply to #10432)

hi, I started bikram about a year ago and for the first 6 months my skin was teriible, I got bad acne like never before... but after that my skin cleared up and gradually got better and better. However I think its important to make sure your skin is clean BEFORE and AFTER each session. Also making sure you are well hydrated and that even the towel you use is clean so when your face touched the towel you prevent further infection etc. I also think you may need to modify your diet and even have your hormones assessed if your acne remains or continues or get worst. tc
Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-29 2:56 AM (#123213 - in reply to #10432)

I faced acne problem in the past, my acne was so bad and my skin is too oily. When I consulted Doctor about it, they told me the root of the acne problem is a hormone change which takes place when we grow from kids to teenage boy/girl.

Bikram Chick
Posted 2010-08-03 6:32 AM (#124437 - in reply to #10432)

Hi Attiepay and all

I felt compelled to write because I had the same problem as you... although I'm prone to cystic acne which is painful and can cause scarring... and I also found that every time I did Bikram guaranteed I would get a new lump under my skin.

Having said that, I seem to have found a way round it which I am SO relieved about!! So, I thought I'd spread the love and share...

Just before class I remove all my make-up and wash with hibi scrub. It is a vile smelling and tasting (not that I eat it) wash that surgeons use before operating to remove all bacteria. I then use an organic 3 in one cleanser (Korres 3 in 1 milk protein cleanser... marvelous stuff) which also tones and mosturises a little.

In class I use a separate towel for my face and regularly blot away the sweat. Nice.

Then straight after class I rush to the sink and wash with warm water with hibi scrub again and again apply the cleanser.

So far so good, I just look glowing and toned. Yeah!

I also use these products morning and night, but finish the ritual off with a spot cream over my jawline (where I suffer most) called Quinoderm. It turns invisible and leaves a nice matt finish which sits very well under make-up. I use bare minerals by the way, which is incredible and doesn't block pores.

Hope this helps and happy bikraming X

Posted 2010-08-06 11:09 AM (#124551 - in reply to #10432)

Initially, I wanted to dismiss Meditation/Unity's post about hormones being the cause. Obviously, acne isn't a "teenage" thing as people can suffer from it their entire lives.

But I noticed that when I went back to Bikram, the acne on my back/shoulders got worse almost immediately. I constantly had a couple of cysts coming up, and my back was just covered in red bumps. I tried acne washes before and after class, Differin prescription, blah blah blah. Nothing helped, and this went on for almost a year.

What finally worked was going on the pill... nice low-dose pill made it about 80% better in two months. It's now to the point where I can wear tank tops and not feel self-conscious. I still practice at least 3x/week. So, while the sweat apparently kicked it up, maybe controlling hormones is key?

Edited by Randomfemale 2010-08-06 11:10 AM
UltraKellon
Posted 2010-08-22 1:23 AM (#124754 - in reply to #10432)

New User

I have never really had a problem with acne. But whenever I would get a pimple here or there I would use a topical product called Colloidal Silver.

However I started Hot Yoga the other week, the room is typically at the most 103 degrees (not as hot as some other yoga rooms I have seen here on this blog). But even at 103 degrees I was starting to break out.

I started to use Colloidal Silver on the acne and it has been helping & I know it will make it go away.

You can take a look at the product here by following the link.
http://lifeforce.net/index.php?mode=products§ion=12&key=19

Contact me by email if you have any questions.
chellebelle
Posted 2010-09-27 3:31 AM (#125230 - in reply to #10432)

New User

Hi, I stumbled on this by accident and had to share my experience in hopes that it might help you. Ironically, when I had severe acne, I hated all the people with clear skin who would offer their unsolicited own advice.

Anyway, for me, I found that a combination of stress, hormones and allergies were causing my acne. My face would itch and feel uncomfortable while working out and I would take harsh cleansers to clean it. Eventually, I switched to a gentle, natural cleansing lotion and found that my skin really calmed down. I also stopped using product on my hair, facial moisturizer and wore as little make up as possible.

Also, I was a vegetarian eating a high glycemic diet with very little protein which threw off my hormones. I went on birth control temporarily (yasmine) and started eating a diet that was low glycemic this really helped in getting my hormone back on track. I also found that dairy and peanuts triggered reactions. I discovered this by using a food diary to record every item I would eat and was amazed at how quickly I discovered patterns. I eat dairy today, but when I feel that familiar tingle, or break out, I quickly cut back on it until my breakout clears up.

If stress is an issue for you.. Perhaps Bikram isn't quite what you need. Perhaps you should focus on a more gentle and relaxing yoga. I love Bikram and agree the the release of toxins is amazing, but perhaps you should find something that calms you and come back to bikram once your stress is under control? Or find a way to stay calm in class (hard to do when you are worried about your skin I know) Speaking of stress, I would also consider cutting back on foods that create stress on the body: coffee, alcohol, sugar, fake sugars, chemicals, etc. Sorry but eating for beauty means loading up on healthy fats (avocado) and vitamin a (sweet potatoes, carrots), zinc (multivitamin) and drinking plenty of water and avoiding food that don't create beauty (uh hum...coco pebbles:-)).

I believe your yoga instructor was right about bringing in the second towel for just your face and I am even thinking a wet towel with tea tree and lavender oil on it to wipe down your face and map immediately after will give you that squeaky clean feeling without being harsh on your skin.

Try to be gentle with your skin and your self and know that it will heal in time and is no reflection on the beautiful person you are.

Nanaimoyogi
Posted 2010-10-02 4:36 AM (#125321 - in reply to #10432)

New User

I broke out when I first started Bikram. I now use a antibacterial towel on the top part of my mat. I haven't broke out since.
michaelho
Posted 2010-10-08 1:59 PM (#125427 - in reply to #10432)

New User

If I may add my two cents here. I had bad acne between 20 and 23 yrs old. I think one could try all day to find the root cause and remain frustrated. I had acne AFTER puberty. Was it stress/diet/environment? Were my hormones the cause? No Allopathic and Naturopathic Doctor will be able to accurately tell you the root cause IMnotsoHO. So, I think leave behind that train of thought.

Acne is an infection.

Thus the puss. AND, if you wash/scrub your skin, that's not good. It will make it worse. Not only will it irritate the infection, but it will spread it. Benzoyl Peroxide is OK for topical use to help, but it may not cure the acne. A dermatologist can drain the puss in combination with a monitored use of antibiotics and a depending on the severity a bp cream at night. That worked for me. 15 years later and I've had less than 15 pimples. Once the infection is gone, continue to eat healthy and do lots of yoga of course! BTW, I never wash my face anymore, except for the shampoo that runs down it.

Edited by michaelho 2010-10-08 2:03 PM
philippineyogi
Posted 2011-05-17 6:19 AM (#208405 - in reply to #10432)

lots of views for acne!!! Im surprised by this
mariyar
Posted 2011-06-16 11:04 PM (#208699 - in reply to #10432)

New User

I had two really large lumps appear in the head to knee pose and she just said that the yoga didn't cause the bumps......it was there and the yoga was getting it out.....

Edited by mariyar 2011-06-16 11:08 PM
yoga_training
Posted 2011-08-17 9:32 AM (#209074 - in reply to #10432)

One of two things can be happening: the sweat from the yoga class could be causing this because you dont wash it off. Or, you could be detoxing. Acne is generally an issue of the liver. Try some lemon juice with water first thing in the morning. This helps to flush the liver. And stay away from processed foods, refined sugar, and alcohol which all damage the liver
bolo1018
Posted 2011-09-22 3:38 PM (#209274 - in reply to #10432)
Subject: Re: Bikram Yoga and Acne- the real solution

New User

So far, I have yet to read anyone correlate this to mind body connection. If you study NLP and Hypnosis, quantum physics etc all dis-ease begins with thought first. This may have taken time to develop. The body signaling you is the last straw you are not paying attention to yourself.

I wish I could go into depth on this but please read "Your body is telling you to love yourself" Lise Bourbeau

There is certainly an emotional and mental aspect to the acne. NLP and hypnosis may help to get to root cause.

Consider just for a moment this correlation (if you study anything esoteric)
Possible metaphysical meaning of acne: lack of self love, anger or anything that involves increased energy in your body

Toxin defined as something your body does not want.
What kind of negative thinking are you putting into your body? (Just consider the question)

Anger could symbolize the fire element
Bikram Yoga = heat = fire
You add more fire to your body you are obviously adding fire to fire that may be in your body dormant.

Everything is energy. Good foods have better energy that can balance you.
Process food = energy that burns too fast

You are a complex being. You make 10 to the 10 to the 10th neurological connections. "Your body responds to your thoughts" (Deepak Chopra)

I have suffered with acne half my life. It comes and goes. Yoga symbolizes balance of mind. Consistency in loving yourself is what I believe will help you in letting the acne go away.

I love hot yoga. I had been doing it for 5 months and my acne was under control for the most part.

Until, I decided I wanted to be a teacher. Then I broke out. Hmmm? I know what the correlation is. I'm putting too much pressure on myself to be a great teacher. It has affected my practice. For awhile I wasn't enjoying going to class.

I'm sticking too it. All sort of negative emotions I repressed as a teen are coming up. My body is telling me, "time to let it go"

Focus, compassion and forgiveness of yourself is the bigger solution. Pay attention to your thoughts. Watch, "What the Bleep" Diet of course helps and keeping a clean face. However, this is only focusing on the symptom. If you want to let go of acne for good well...that is part of the spiritual path. Meditation is about quieting noisy thoughts.

Sigh. Patience too. I am with you on the path. It's not always easy. You have to be a scientist to figure out what works for you.

Hope this sparks a new solution.

As my teacher says Enlightment is something you do every day of your life. Meaning practice kind thoughts, right intention (focus on the result) and the body will respond. The body is physical so time plays a role. From experience depending on how long you have suffered with the dis-ease the more energy (time) you may need. Persist! I believe in you and me.

Forgive me but I cannot go into so much detail without writing a dissertation. Just go buy that book. Seek out practitioners that understand how energy flows in the body and how the unconscious and conscious mind connect. It is a great starting point.

Be well.

Edited by bolo1018 2011-09-22 3:58 PM
jpg
Posted 2011-09-22 5:32 PM (#209275 - in reply to #209274)
Subject: Re: Bikram Yoga and Acne- the real solution

Thoughts do not CAUSE specific diseases and they cannot CURE any disease, although they can increase the risk of certain diseases. Your body controls your thoughts more than your thoughts control your body. Thoughts, your brain, your mind, your feelings and your body are a single entity. Consciousness is a result of your bodily processes (your mind is a process not a thing). Without a body, there is no mind and no consciousness. Without consciousness, you still have a living body (deep sleep, many animals, bacteria etc).

Your thoughts CAN cause stress, which can affect your immune system, hormone production, etc. When your body produces specific hormones, those hormones chemically tell your brain what to think and what to feel as well as how your organs should act and react. Stress hormones can therefore lower your immunity, cause depression and impotence, raise blood pressure and cholesterol, increase the risk of osteoporosis, diabetes, and heart disease. It is the stress hormones that are causing the problems that make disease more likely because your natural defenses are lowered.

If anger caused acne, all angry people would have acne and no non-angry people would get it.

Outside of increasing your level of stress (sympathetic nervous system excitation) or relaxation (para-sympathetic nervous system excitation), your thoughts are more often a result of bodily processes than the cause of them. The idea that you can control cancer or any specific disease with thought is false causation (otherwise known as superstition).

If you have acne, it is because bacteria is getting stuck in your pores and causing infection. Your basic genetic makeup, your environment, your amount of exercise, your diet, the strength of your immune system and your physical and mental balance (homeostasis) together control whether you get acne as a result of that bacteria. Without the bacteria, you will not get an infection, no matter what you think.

Edited by jpg 2011-09-22 5:39 PM
jwilliams1
Posted 2012-04-26 11:04 PM (#210425 - in reply to #10432)

New User

My skin has actually gotten better after practicing bikram yoga. The first thing I usually do after class when I get home is wash my face.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)