YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram Yoga and Acne
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Attiepay
Posted 2004-09-30 6:28 PM (#10432)
Subject: Bikram Yoga and Acne

I am new to Bikram Yoga (tonight will be my 15th class) and I have been experiencing horrible problems with acne.  My acne was bad before but now it's 10 times worse and I have a different type called "comedomes" - which I think are the offical name for whiteheads. I have them all over my cheeks and chin and it's so frustrating. I finally went and saw a dermatologist last week and after paying my insurance co-pay and buying about 7 different products (one to wash face with, medicine to put on, Retin A to add on top of that at night, a special sun screen for the day) and starting on Doxycycline I've realized that it's really expensive to treat acne.  I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this problem when first starting Bikram Yoga, and if it eventually cleared up. My dermatologist said that humidity makes acne worse, but Bikram Yoga has helped my scoliosis so much I am not ready to give it up.   I welcome any thoughts on this. 

P.s. I'm 33 so I know it's not just a teenager type of acne that I will just grow out of. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-09-30 7:47 PM (#10438 - in reply to #10432)
Subject: RE: Bikram Yoga and Acne

Have you mentioned it to your teachers? I've not heard of that in the Bikram world--seems like worse acne is counter to being in the heat and keeping your pores open. Sorry youre going through that and hope you get some effective results from what your doc recommended and/or via the forum.
Wulfheir
Posted 2004-10-01 10:58 AM (#10454 - in reply to #10432)

I have done detoxifying diets in the past that list temporary acne as a side effect. Your skin is an organ and can detoxify your body, which i understand, results in acne. Bikram Yoga claims it detoxifies, so perhaps there is a connection. If this is what is happening, I would suspect that it will clear up. But I'm not a dermatologist, nor do i suffer from acne, i'm just a draftsman who lives in a world of ones and zeros, so take it for what it's worth. If you haven't tried before, I would try a natural skin detox program.
Attiepay
Posted 2004-10-02 2:52 PM (#10472 - in reply to #10432)

Bruce and Wulfheir- thank you for your replies.

I too have heard that Bikram Yoga will detox the body, but so far haven't run into anyone in class with acne as bad as mine. I did ask one instructor and she just said that it's just bad stuff in my body coming out and that it should go away. I had two really large lumps appear in the head to knee pose and she just said that the yoga didn't cause the bumps......it was there and the yoga was getting it out.  The bumps did slowly disappear, oddly enough they just went down, no puss or anything to deal with. 

I was just hoping someone out there also had the severe acne reaction that I have had to let me know it was normal.  I will be getting facials for the next month at my dermatologist office (again, at a price = $ 60 a treatment) and supposedly this will get all the poison out and clear all my clogged pores. 

Wulfheir - my friend that got me into Bikram Yoga told me about the "Fit for Life" book series. I started to read one and stopped when they got to the fasting/vegtable and fruit drinks.  I have considered the idea of fasting, but have douts that I can do that. I wonder if I should do it now, since my face is at an all time low anyway. It can't get any worse, and if it did it wouldn't make that much of a difference anyway !  What kind of fast do you recommend ?  Do I need to buy an expensive juicer ?

Gracie
Posted 2004-10-02 3:43 PM (#10473 - in reply to #10432)

Attiepay, I am so sorry you have to go through this, I wouldn't wish it on anyone!! I had the WORST acne in college, but mine was due to extreme stress (majored in finance and hated it every step of the way) and eating like crap. I know they say that food doesn't cause acne, but I believe it does! It was a serious blow to my self esteem, and caused some depression. I always had beautiful skin, and it seemed to come from nowhere. Anyway, I would suggest you look at your lifestyle and see if there has been any changes. Have you changed your diet at all? Do you have more stress than usual? What about hormones, have you started the bc pill or changed to a different dose? If the only change is the yoga, maybe it is causing it. I do not have the same reaction to Bikram, in fact I feel like it helps my skin. Make sure that your skin is clean before class, so you don't get makeup in your pores. I know that sometimes I don't wash my skin before class, and that causes problems. I never went as far as taking Accutane, but my husband's sister did, and boy does she have perfect skin now!!! Listen I know what you're going through, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Something will help, but you'll have to try different things. I took some anti-biotics and used retin-a, which really helped. But, ulimately the blessing for me was graduating from college, and reducing my stress level Good Luck to you.

Posted 2004-10-03 6:28 PM (#10485 - in reply to #10473)

Pattie--are you wearing makeup prior to Bikram? Just wondered as a woman next to me today said her acne is better since she removed her makeup before practice.
Wulfheir
Posted 2004-10-04 9:55 AM (#10488 - in reply to #10472)

Attiepay - 2004-10-02 12:52 PM

What kind of fast do you recommend ?  Do I need to buy an expensive juicer ?

I would talk to your local natural health store. I have found them helpful in the past. I personally would not fast, nor buy an expensive juicer. Just find a program that suits you. It may or may not work. But if you've tried everything else, you've got nothing to lose.
pbwilson
Posted 2004-10-04 2:34 PM (#10491 - in reply to #10432)

My skin broke out a bit when I first started, but cleared itself up after a half dozen classes or so. Maybe your case is just a bit more severe? At any rate, good luck to you!
Attiepay
Posted 2004-10-04 11:19 PM (#10503 - in reply to #10432)

Thanks for your responses everyone.  Gracie - thanks for your understanding and words of encouragement.  Bruce - yes I have been washing my make up off before class. I do leave the eye make up on though, but that never runs down to my problem areas - my checks, sides of face and neck. 

I talked today for the first time about my acne to the Director of the studio. She had several good tips that I am going to try :

1) Bring TWO clean large towels.  She said she uses one towel for the standing poses, and then switches to the other towel for the 2nd half - the lying down poses. She says it helps to have a clean towel where your face is going for the second half of the poses so you don't put your face right where you have been standing. I wear sandals all day for work with no socks and the shoes are open on the sides, and I noticed before that sometimes there is a light brown stain a bit on the towel from the leather souls of the shoes. It never dawned on me that I am resting my face right there for the sitting poses !!

2) She said to rinse my face off as soon as I can afterwards. The studio is about 30 mins. to 40 mins. from my house, so she suggested that I just get up and go in the bathroom there at the studio to splash some clean water on my face so that everything isn't just sitting on my face there, with open pores. I tried this tonight and I really felt better.  Cleaner.  We'll see if it works in the long run.

3) She said to drink plenty of water to flush everything out.  She said it's actually good it's coming out. Better to be going out of me than stuck in me. She also re-iterated that yoga didn't cause the acne. It (the toxins)  was already in me and the yoga is just bringing it out.  

So, I'm gonna hold off on the juicer for now.....and the fasting idea.  Oddly enough, about a month ago I was starting to eat better and this is when I noticed my face starting to break out.  Now it's full blown pizza face and I am back to eating a little on the bad side.  I probably shouldn't have had the fruity pebbles and chocolate pop tarts after class tonight for my dinner.          I really need to get back on the healthy food wagon I guess.

Edited by Attiepay 2004-10-04 11:26 PM
beachbum
Posted 2004-10-17 6:08 PM (#10929 - in reply to #10432)

I just started doing Bikram Yoga in the beginning of September and I know what you're going through. My face and forehead broke out like crazy and so did my chest and back and what I decided to do about it was:

1. Take a shower at the studio instead of waiting to get home.
(so the sweat doesn't lay on your skin)

2. Use Proactiv.
(Works like a charm, I'm only on my third week and my skin is almost cleared up.)

3. Drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies.
(Water is miracle juice and the anti-oxidents in the veggies can do to your skin will amaze you.)

4. Keep those paws off the mug! (Don't touch your face)
(Bacteria and certain oils will clog up your pores if you do.)

I don't think facials are such a good idea. My aunt used to get them, but stopped because she started to break out even more. If you use Proactiv, be consistent and patient and you will see results. I sound like an informercial. Don't worry too much about the acne, they will go away!

Edited by beachbum 2004-10-17 6:08 PM

Posted 2004-10-17 6:53 PM (#10932 - in reply to #10929)

Welcome to the forum Beachbum--sounds like good advice you've offered.
Attiepay
Posted 2004-10-31 5:37 PM (#11434 - in reply to #10432)

Thank you beach bum for your advise. Sorry I am late in commenting here. I have decided to take a break from Bikram Yoga until my face clears up on the medication. Then if I start to break out again when I go back I will know that it is indeed the Bikram Yoga and not the stress I am currently under. I did try ProActiv, but it didn't make a difference for me at all. I used it for two months and for me it didn't make any difference in my skin.......didn't help my break out areas.  And this was when my face was just a little broken out...not the full sides of my face acne I have now and under the jawline acne.  I will post here once again when I get back to doing Bikram Yoga.  Thanks again for all your comments everyone.    
dkf
Posted 2004-11-11 2:06 AM (#11967 - in reply to #11434)

I am so happy to find this site and this post! I have been doing Bikram yoga for about four months now, and my skin has gotten unbearable. I am so embarrassed of it! I definitely have acne problems, but they have been kept under control very well by Proactiv for the last couple years. Now it seems like it's no longer working, but rather than the kind I had before, it's the same kind you describe - comedones or whatever. Little bumps on my cheeks and forehead. As of today I'm starting to wash my face right before class and then again right after class. I'll let you know how that works out.

I'm so sorry you're having the same problem, but I'm really happy to hear that I'm not the only one for whom this has happened!
Orbilia
Posted 2004-11-11 6:33 AM (#11969 - in reply to #11967)

You might find that using a Tea Tree facial wash helps.

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-11-11 10:40 AM (#11986 - in reply to #10432)

Scoliosis is a deformity of Spine and is definitely at least partially caused by mis alignment of spine. So, it NOT only Bikram Yoga, but any Yoga which aligns the spine, strengtherns it , and followed by sufficient rest and proper nutrition will give benefit in case of Scoliosis.

Acne on the other hand is a reaction of body in relation to toxins in the system. The system needs to be cleaned up for Acne to go away. If your problem aggravates due to Heat in the Room, you must address it that way.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
gogirl58
Posted 2004-11-11 12:39 PM (#12006 - in reply to #11986)

Extreme Veteran

I know someone who had to quit Bikram because of her acne. Unfortunately, I do not know the details and I don't see her often. If I talk to her I will find the details. She did work with her dermatologist and the heat for a while, but finally gave up Bikram. Sorry if this is bad news.
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-12 7:59 PM (#12111 - in reply to #12006)

I have to say that I agree with everyone's comments here. The acne might be caused by your stress or just the toxins being flushed out of the system. Before I started Bikram, I had nice clear skin, but when I first started I began to break out, but decided to continue as I figured it was just my skin's reaction to the toxins being released. It turns out I was right. After a short while, the breakouts went away and my skin was not just nice, but began to glow because my system became so cleansed.
dkf
Posted 2004-11-22 3:18 PM (#12696 - in reply to #12111)

So a number of people are saying that they did have worse acne after starting Bikram but then it cleared up - how long did that take? I'm really losing patience...

I also feel like I know a fair amount about skin, and I think the idea of toxins being released (making breaking out a good thing) is false. Skin sheds and secretes oil, and either it takes care of itself or pores get clogged, causing acne. It's nothing unnatural that causes acne, it's just whether your skin keeps it in or releases it. Right?

Anyway, I've started washing my face before and right after class. Not sure if that's helping yet.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-11-22 9:56 PM (#12733 - in reply to #12696)

Expert Yogi

I'd suggest showering with soap after every practice and making sure that
you keep all your gear clean. Keep your face off the rug, keep your hands
off your face, and have your own mat. Use your own towels, too, since rental
towels have a lot in common with Petri Dishes.
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-23 2:41 AM (#12737 - in reply to #12696)

dkf - 2004-11-22 12:18 PM

I also feel like I know a fair amount about skin, and I think the idea of toxins being released (making breaking out a good thing) is false. Skin sheds and secretes oil, and either it takes care of itself or pores get clogged, causing acne. It's nothing unnatural that causes acne, it's just whether your skin keeps it in or releases it. Right?
QUOTE]

That is not necessarily so, grasshopper. Skin condition depends on a number of factors. Yes, external factors such as clogged pores from let's say dirty skin and bacteria, but you also have take into account internal factors such as diet, health, hormone levels (ex.: the pimply faced adolescent), even viruses, genetics, etc. Any good dermatologist will tell you the key to healthy skin is a healthy lifestyle and good skin hygeine (at least washing your face gently 1-2 times daily). Then again, once in a blue moon you get a person who takes care of themself but has a crater face, or who takes horrible care of themself and has flawless skin--both which are rare. It all depends, I guess.

Anyhoo, it took a few weeks for my skin to clear up after breaking out while Bikram, but you don't use that as an indicator for yourself, since everyone is different.
pigeonsailor
Posted 2005-03-08 8:42 PM (#18532 - in reply to #10432)

If you do decide to go the fasting route, I have done the Master Cleanser several times. (10 day minimum). You're not actually hungry during the this fast (because you can have as much of the drink as you want) but you do crave food for the first couple of days. For the first time, it's best to try to isolate yourself somewhat and get a great book or a bunch of movies to take your mind off what you're doing. Social interactions with food were too tempting. Anyway, it's always been worth it. I always look and feel better afterward. The first couple of days you can be prone to headache--just because of what's being released. You can find information about the fast on the web.

by the way, i practiced bikram a few times during the fast without problems.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-04-02 10:36 AM (#20952 - in reply to #10432)

I have never had a problem with acne. I am almost 45 years old. I just started doing Bikram five times a week, and now I have acne on the lower right side of my face.

I tend to be skeptical about the "detoxification" rationale, and yet I plan to give this a few weeks to see what happens. Acne hever has been a problem, so maybe this really is a detox effect!

But the advice to use yoru own mat, towels, and keep hands off the floor sounds like good advice to me.

Jeri
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-02 1:24 PM (#20958 - in reply to #20952)

Expert Yogi

Sorry guys but washing your face has nothing to do with Acne, it's NOT an external thing...its an internal cleansing that is going on. Acne is related to your Liver and it is your body detoxing. I suggest that you drink water, water and more water. That is not to mean drink so much water that your bladder and kidney are on major overload...it means don't drink any more sodas, coffee, watch the chemicals that you eat in most of your processed foods and stick to a very clear bland diet of fruits, vegetables, grains and protein (whatever source that may be). When your body is purging it goes through lots of changes and it will get better. But, if you go back to your old routine of adding the crap back in...I mean crap as in food, attitude, environment etc,, then you will just have to keep working it off and getting it back out. The mind, the physical body and spirit all work together and you need to find YOUR balance and your happy medium. Yoga is rearranging you internally and your external world effects your internal world, but the good news, yoga makes you stronger, but you have to learn how to adjust to this change. Does that make sense?? What goes in, must come out. Water is the only thing in this world that you need to drink, really. The rest is a luxury and we all know how that can be..Too many luxuries can make you lazy if your not careful.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-02 2:37 PM (#20959 - in reply to #20958)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - 2005-04-02 1:24 PM

Sorry guys but washing your face has nothing to do with Acne, it's NOT an external thing...its an internal cleansing that is going on. Acne is related to your Liver and it is your body detoxing. .

This is only half right. Dirty skin doesn't cause acne by itself, so that's basically true.
The liver and detox have nothing to do with acne, on the other hand. Hormones,
heredity, and how you handle your skin seem to be the main thing.

Here's a nice NON-commercial link on acne, from the National Institute of Health.
(most of the online sites are infomercials, to get you to buy this or that treatment.

http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/acne/acne.htm

Edited by Bay Guy 2005-04-02 2:52 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-02 3:18 PM (#20962 - in reply to #20959)

Expert Yogi

From a traditional Chinese Medicine point of view..the liver is very much associated with acne and heat related bumps/blemishes etc. But, there are also so many other factors that are associated with the liver, such as the kidney, stomach and bladder meridian. Soo, it is very complex and every BODY is different. I will say this a zillion times because this is so true. Not everyone is going to detox the same, nor is everyone going to be affected by heat the same, nor or they going to be affected by Bikram the same. Learning the human body system is imperative for optimal health. Sorry, your not going to get it from western medicine and science. They will put you in their one size fits all category and then you'll wonder why doesn't this work, why can't I get any results and you'll beat your head up against the wall like most people do, you'll die an early painful death in some hospice and say "we don't know what happend, we think it is....." or you will have some kind of surgery to remove whatever is causing your ailments and if it is major, you will lesson your quality of life and won't be able to do your yoga postures cause they invaded your body...the list goes on and on

So having all that said, I've seen people balance their bodies using traditional methods without having to spend all that money on pharmacutecals and chemicals...I'ts all just about Balance and learning the proper method - naturally. Of course, you can go the western way, but I'd rather spend my $$ on flowers and trees for my garden, or a nice to trip to Whole Foods Market to buy some good healthy food or better yet, for a nice long massage
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)