YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ashtanga yoga during pregnancy
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

dclola
Posted 2004-10-27 6:11 PM (#11288)
Subject: ashtanga yoga during pregnancy

does anyone have experience with ashtanga practice while pregnant? I just found out I am 6 weeks and am distressed at the thought of not being able to practice and/or it being bad for the baby. saw an article on ashtanga.com about stopping practice entirely during the first trimester. any and all input would be greatly appreciated! namaste
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itchytummy
Posted 2004-10-27 10:04 PM (#11298 - in reply to #11288)
Subject: RE: ashtanga yoga during pregnancy

This is a subject with many different opinions. I think it depends on your situation. As a yoga instructor myself, I believe the recommendation by ashtanga.com is a good recommendation if you don't have a strongly grounded ashtanga practice and are new to the practice. On the other hand, I know of an Ashtanga instructor with a very strong and grounded practice who was practicing from the beginning of her pregnancy up until two weeks before she was due to deliver (she was even doing backbends a month before she gave birth!). She reported a very easy delivery and said that she believed her practice kept her healthy before, during and after the pregnancy. My personal recommendation is to stop ashtanga altogether if you don't have a lot of experience and don't have a firmly established practice. But you don't have to stop yoga if the idea of stopping is hard for you, maybe try a more gentle style such as Viniyoga or Kripalu. If you have a very solid and confident practice Ashtanga practice, I say go ahead, keep doing it, but be cautious--especially with inverted postures and postures that require much pressure on the belly--modify as you see fit. I also recommend reading up on prenatal yoga. Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa is a longtime Kundalini yoga instructor who specializes in prenatal yoga, I recommend anything written by her on the subject. Also, see if there are any instructors that specialize in prenatal yoga in your area and try to talk to them. I hope this helps. Namaste.
dclola
Posted 2004-10-28 9:43 PM (#11348 - in reply to #11298)

thanks for the detailed response! I am actually a yoga teacher too and have just heard so many different things...I'm sure it's only the beginning for that! I always told myself I would just see how I feel (if I became pregnant). I practice first and second series so am very strong and grounded in my practice, alas have the feeling I should put aside second series for now! your story about the ashtanga instructor is very encouraging. I have to say that yesterday I practiced for the first time since I found out I was pregnant, and I felt really good both during and after.
and I was researching pre-natal yoga books - can't believe how relatively little there is on the subject. but I saw the gurmukh book and thought it sounded really good, so I will definitely order it. I've never done kundalini before so it could be quite interesting!
it seems like someone needs to write an ashtanga pre-natal book...I could find very little on the subject! thanks again for your help.
itchytummy
Posted 2004-10-29 2:12 AM (#11353 - in reply to #11348)

I think your thought regarding seeing how you feel is a good one, as everyone is different. Every body responds differently to the changes in the pregnant body. Some women become nearly incapacitated by the effects of pregnancy, while others are virtually uneffected. It really depends on you. As an yoga instructor, you probably have seen yourself that one of the keys to a long-lived, strong, healthy, and happy practice is to listen intimately to the needs of your body and how you feel. I myself have seen people's practices gone sour because they just didn't pay attention to how they felt while doing yoga, resulting in injury, or possible miscarriage for some pregnant yoginis. I know that some women have blamed miscarriages on their not listening to their bodies while doing yoga, continuing a practice session despite feeling pain or discomfort. While the causes of pregnancy complications or miscarriages are often multiple and cannot be pinpointed on any one particular experience (i.e.: poor diet, drug abuse, stress, or just plain it's not quite the baby's time to come into the world yet), I can see where these women are coming from as with any type of physical activity, there risks for undesirable effects, and usually unwanted effects come from just plain old not paying attention to the way you are feeling.
I'm a strong believer in listening to your instincts, and the way you feel mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually during a practice--especially if you're with child, because you've got another life that's depending on you. I've seen yoga mommies who have paid strong attention to the way they felt and listened to their instincts throughout their pregnancies, and they have enjoyed good health during their pregnancies, have had relatively easy deliveries, experienced quick delivery recovery, have good post-partum health, and have happy and healthy yoga babies.
To me, it doesn't matter as much what style of yoga you practice, what you've read, or stories that you've heard, what matters most is that you pay attention to what's going on! (I know from personal experience.) While advice from people with experience in being a pregnant yogini can be invaluable, only you can gauge what's right for you and your little one.
itchytummy
Posted 2004-10-29 2:37 AM (#11354 - in reply to #11353)

P.S. Another book you might want to check out is "Ashtanga Yoga for Women" by Sally Griffyn and Michaela Clarke, it's got a special section on pregnancy modifications. I also recommend checking out the following link:

http://www.metta.org.uk/forums/yogaf/showsubj.asp?Subject=Ashtanga%20and%20Pregnancy

And by the way, I took a closer look at the ashtanga.com section on pregnancy, which I believe supports my point of leaving practice up to the individual. It says: "Sri K. Pattabhi Jois advises women not to practice Ashtanga Yoga at all during the first trimester, particularly if they have had miscarriages in the past. However, under his direct supervision at the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute, he has been known to give pregnant students a prescribed asana practice on a case-by-case basis during the first trimester.

Whether you decide to practice Ashtanga Yoga at all during the first trimester is your individual choice. There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that light yoga practice during the first trimester will help a woman retain her pregnancy by helping to eliminate toxins from the body. The lessening of nausea during or following yoga practice may be an indication of toxins being eliminated."
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-10-30 6:17 PM (#11417 - in reply to #11354)

I agree with itchytummy. There is a lot of anecdotal "evidence" about a lot of things, right now, so it's tough to make a decision. I agree that if a practice is not established, it's sure a less than optimal time to start! (I get people whose doctors have said, "Do yoga." Not what type, and not at weeks before delivery!!!)

Anyway, in my mind/experience/education, once one is pregnant, it's no longer about the mom or what the mom wants. It's about the baby -- but try telling this to fitness nuts or some I see at our Ashtanga studio!!! I digress.

Keep in mind that things we don't feel can effect the baby. So "how you feel" is one thing, but consider the "why" of things. For example, twisting with a hugely straight spine and not binding is generally considered OK, but many thing since their tummy isn't in the way yet, they are Ok to bind. No.... Urdhva Mukha Svanasana has been thought to cause rectal tears in the mother due to the baby's weight, but these mothers evidently felt ... fine.

Heat: Raising your blood pressure is not a good thing. Ujjiya breathing does just that. Any time you restrict the breath, the blood pressure rises. Consider an asthma attack, for example. Bikram's heat would be considered insane for a pregnant woman. If continuing to practice Ashtanga, I'd consider a slower practice, although with an even breath, not employing Ujjiya. It can be done, feel great, have good effects, and be a nice session.

One of my Ashtanga teachers was 2 weeks overdue and still throwing herself up into handstand. She did, towards the latter portion, give up ujjiya for that reason. She didn't suffer from preclampsia, (sp?) but didn't want to flirt with it, so through sensible breathing and watching her food intake and weight, seemed to turn out fine.

What you might consider adding to your practice (I think itchytummy talked about this) is a prenatal practice from a Kirpalu certified teacher, or the woman mentioned previously. A dear friend if mine is Kirpalu Certified and a long-time Ashtanga teacher. She's adapted the Primary Series for her preggy ladies and they love it. I think the teacher becomes more important here than it might be for a regular student.

That said, congrats on the baby.
Christine
tourist
Posted 2004-10-31 10:46 AM (#11427 - in reply to #11417)

Expert Yogi

Yeah, the thing with "how you feel" is that we in N America are poster children for the mind/body disconnect and serious denial. Especially with a first pregnancy, women usually have no idea what is ok for them. I remember doing a little bit of shopping, just walking around the mall late in my 1st and BOOM suddenly thinking "oh, this is what all those people meant about overdoing it!". I had to go sit down in a cafe, order food and put my feet up for about an hour before I could take myself home. The signs were probably there before I even left the house. So I am definitely a believer in using discretion with preggies. You can pretty much always do baddha konasana and upavista konasana, preferrably with support but that's about as far as I'll go with an overall prescription.
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-08 12:49 AM (#11763 - in reply to #11427)

I think I need to clarify more. By the way, when I said going how you feel is a good, I didn't just mean physically going by how you feel, but intuitively as well. I agree that you can do damage and still feel fine physically, but I'm a big believer in if you feel intuitively, you can feel what's good or bad for the baby even though it's not affecting the mother or even before you do anything at all.

Also, I think if you're not in tune with yourself enough (physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, intuitively, etc.), you won't know if you're doing harm to yourself or your child, or you won't know to not do something potentially harmful at all. One can use mothers who are addicted to drugs as an example. If a mother is doing coke even though she knows in her brain and because it's common sense to know it's bad, she still might do it because she's just so disconnected from herself that she can't apply it.

Alright, enough of my rambling. I'm not sure if I'm making sense anymore. It's time for me to go!

Edited by itchytummy 2004-11-08 12:49 AM
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-08 8:35 AM (#11769 - in reply to #11763)

itchytummy, think of it in this example:

(Of course, it always comes back to being about me, right?)

The more I practice yoga, the more I realize I know zip, nada, buttkiss about my body. That I'm absolutely still operating in my western mind, vs. knowing intuitively what's going on -- or if I do get a flash of intuition, I generally overrule it with what I want to do, vs. what I should do.

With Ashtangis, I find this particularly apt. Perhaps Bikramites, too, but as I teach in an Ashtanga studio, I speak more knowledgably about that than other traditions. Ashtangis feel the burn all to often. Too often again, that's all they feel. Any fitness person will agree that there is an addiction to that feeling. Add into it that darned, "I don't feel it xxxx" mental thing and many Ashtangis are accidents waiting to happen to their babies and themselves.

I did a kind-of gentle class a while back. I had some full-blown, Mysore practicing AShtangis in it simply because they had time and "needed" another class. For some it was the 2nd or 3rd that day. (I'm in that nutty group at times, so I do understand.) Anyway, they grumbled when we did a bunch of restorative poses and several fought to hold still. Later, one did come to me and say that here next class that day was amazing. That I was right and those poses must open connective tissue because she was so ... EXPANSIVE ... after doing them. Not that she'd make a habit of it or anything...

Anyway, I don't trust or ever tell an Ashtangi to go with their intuition or how they feel, because it's too frequently askew. It's about them vs. what's happening with a baby. No disparaging comments intended, this is simply my very frequent observation. As tourist observed, we're far too disconnected to trust ourselves. I happen to think it is huge hubris to pretend to be able to do so, as a matter of fact! Perhaps I'm in touch enough to recognize how in touch I'm not. If you follow me.

It's like the more yoga you study the less you know...?

C.
dclola
Posted 2004-11-08 3:13 PM (#11795 - in reply to #11288)

well, I feel like I need to add something here since I started this whole thing - I can certainly relate to the ashtanga overdoing it thing. but I am also the kind of person that used to call in sick at the first sign of sickness. we can generalize about westerners being "poster children" for being out of touch with their bodies etc., but isn't this why we're drawn to yoga in the first place, to reclaim some of that? not sure if I'd agree with the more I learn about it, the less I feel I know. learning is always an ongoing process, esp. for a yoga student...but anyhow, back to the issue at hand, I myself trust my body to help guide me through this, but when it's all new and overwhelming you definitely want to hear about others' experiences. I don't think it's "hubris" to claim to be in touch with your body, and I don't think for pregnant women everything suddenly becomes all about the baby. I had a life before I became pregnant and yes everything is going to change in a big way, but the last thing I want to do is lose my focus or identity that I have taken so much care to develop. but again I digress...I am working with my intuition and so far, I am 2/3 of the way through my first trimester and feeling strong, healthy and still practicing both first and second series. yes some days I'm not feeling so hot, and am more than happy then to not practice and just turn my focus inwards, or to do some restorative work...and when I am practicing ashtanga, I am very aware of all that I do and not pushing myself as hard as I might have before. So, I am hoping that my yoga practice will help make my pregnancy a very healthy and balanced one, and also hope to be even MORE in tune with my intuition afterwards! thanks to everyone again for their input. namaste.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-09 7:09 PM (#11882 - in reply to #11795)

>>I am also the kind of person that used to call in sick at the first sign of sickness. we can generalize about westerners being "poster children" for being out of touch with their bodies etc., but isn't this why we're drawn to yoga in the first place, to reclaim some of that? <<

being pregnant, this isn't a bad thing! And no, "we" weren't necessarily drawn to yoga for this in the first place, but for some, it has developed into such. I cannot make either claim for myself and don't buy into the idea that everyone does morph in this manner. [shrug]

>>not sure if I'd agree with the more I learn about it, the less I feel I know. learning is always an ongoing process, esp. for a yoga student...<<

I was referring to myself, but I do agree that if one is healthy and interested in life, learning remains ongoing. For those who live in fear? Perhaps not.

>>...I don't think for pregnant women everything suddenly becomes all about the baby. I had a life before I became pregnant and yes everything is going to change in a big way, but the last thing I want to do is lose my focus or identity that I have taken so much care to develop. <<

You've just exemplified my point. While you're pregnant it is all about the baby. No one is asking you to give up your life or lose focus/identity. However, while you're an incubator, you, your identity, your needs are secondary. I'm willing to bet that most first time mothers find it surprising years later to finally sit back and recall the days they actuall had an identity other than "MOOOOOOTHER!!!!!"

>>I am working with my intuition and so far, I am 2/3 of the way through my first trimester and feeling strong, healthy and still practicing both first and second series. yes some days I'm not feeling so hot, and am more than happy then to not practice and just turn my focus inwards, or to do some restorative work...and when I am practicing ashtanga, I am very aware of all that I do and not pushing myself as hard as I might have before. So, I am hoping that my yoga practice will help make my pregnancy a very healthy and balanced one, and also hope to be even MORE in tune with my intuition afterwards! <<

What you have going for you is the fact you already have what sounds like a very strong practice happening. I wish you were in the DC area. My first Ashtanga teacher is a certified Kripalu teacher who has modified the Primary and Second series for pregnancy. All too often intuition isn't enough, which is the point I think we were trying to make here.

I wish you luck, strong practices, and a child who will be a future yogi just like her mom. Once popped out safely, what better gift could you offer a child!?

C.
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-10 1:39 PM (#11927 - in reply to #11769)

"Ashtangis feel the burn all to often"

I would have to agree w/ you there, Christine! I see it, even among the teachers that come to class . I feel the burn too - it's attached to my Ischial Tuberosity and it won't go away! 

It is sometimes scary to watch someone do what I know must really be hurting them just b/c they know they "can" go "that far" on some days, therefor they should be able to do it everyday.

That being said... when I reach back to pachimottinasana c, I will be very happy. I felt a great amount of achievement and progress in getting there and then I hurt my back
tourist
Posted 2004-11-11 11:45 AM (#12000 - in reply to #11882)

Expert Yogi

>>the last thing I want to do is lose my focus or identity that I have taken so much care to develop. <<

Do read what yogadancer said about this

As a mother I can tell you that you will not lose your identity, you will expand it through being a concious and aware mother. Yes, there are those women (the sad ones on Oprah!) moaning about how they lost themselves waiting on kids and hubby hand and foot but that is not inevitable. They are the ones who wallow in motherhood. Instead of wallowing, REVEL in it! Keep your awareness, keep your personal identity, keep your strong sense of Self and build on that as you grow into the full maturity that motherhood offers you. Being a mother does not define me but it has been responsible for more personal growth, wisdom, maturity and spiritual growth than anything else in my life. Period. You have a great gift here, protect it and enjoy it!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)