YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just a simple note
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Thushara
Posted 2004-11-01 12:42 AM (#11446)
Subject: Just a simple note

I just thought to post this to the forum as an encouragement note to all you guys around the world.

Im practicing Hatha yoga and suddenly I had to change the Yoga studio as my previous yoga master went abroad. So I just went for hunting for a new yoga teacher during the weekend.
When I went to see a new class, I found that there was quite an old gentleman teaching the class. As he saw me (Before even asking me why I came to see him) he asked me to sit back and watch what others do.

For my surprise there were 3 small kids (may be 5- 6 years old) practicing yoga same as adults and I felt shame of myself when I saw the way these kids were meditating. (How many times I cheat when meditating. I always want to open my eyes and see how others doing it .. Its tooooo bad…)

After the Class the teacher came and talked to me. He asked my purpose and then I started asking questions from him.,
I couldn’t believe what he said. He told me that he is 75 years old;(My previous teacher was in his late twenties) I couldn’t believe a 75-year-older was doing such postures and looks so strong and healthy. I think he understood my surprise and he told me that he and his wife were practicing yoga for more than 55 years.. Every day... both of them have not gone to a doctor for any health problems. They don’t even use spectacles, (I saw he was teaching some eye exercises which can be very effective).
He and his wife have started a free class at home for people who cannot afford to attend to a yoga studio.
I had a chat with him for about ½ hour and I realized that he has really mastered his Art.
I think that’s the age a majority of people in wheel chairs,

I wonder how much Yoga can do for a normal person.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2004-11-01 10:14 AM (#11457 - in reply to #11446)
Subject: RE: Just a simple note

Expert Yogi

My teacher is 73 and her teacher (BKSIyengar) is soon turning 86. Very inspiring! Due to the fitness emphasis in N America, people here are used to the idea of young, althetic teachers but yoga is a long term study and those who have lived it for several decades have so much more ingrained into their cellular and subtle bodies. A much richer teaching and learning
afroyogi
Posted 2004-11-01 4:12 PM (#11465 - in reply to #11446)
Subject: RE: Just a simple note

Absolutely right, my iyengar teacher is well over 70, practices yoga since more than 40 years and is astonishingly fit and flexible. He lives yoga!
The thing with the eyes: A few years ago, the company I was working for introduced a free eye-training course and I liked it very much. Mostly we did the same stuff we do sometimes in yoga class. Also a bit of meditation. I had no idea about yoga back then but it was awesome.
On the other hand there are some people who are genetically enabled for a long lifespan, no matter if they do yoga or not. My parents are both well in their 80s but very fit. Going on vacation to the canary islands 2x each year, self catering. Every summer season the are living on the campground in their little caravan, spend much time walking the beach, or doing bicycle tours. "Modern" things like yoga did never cross their minds, they drink a lot of beer, schnaps and eat fat stuff instead.
Yoga may help you stay healthy for longer but it's no guarantee!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)