YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Was this Anusara?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-12 3:14 AM (#12072)
Subject: Was this Anusara?

I've already had a correspondence w/ Christine about my recent experience, but I'm curious to hear what other brave souls may think...

I've heard Anusara described as gentle, restorative, relaxing, lunchhour yoga, princess yoga, non sweatty yoga.

So, I go and take a class and HELLO it was anything but the above! I figured I would go to the class, get a good stretch, not have to work very hard, there would be no sweating.... let's just say it was completely opposite!

Am I crazy, or is the teacher?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2004-11-12 9:55 AM (#12080 - in reply to #12072)
Subject: RE: Was this Anusara?

Expert Yogi

Well now we need to know what Christine said! From what I know of Anusara and how it has its roots in Iyengar, I would say that the idea of it being soft and gentle would be way off the mark. Perhaps the attitude and approach are gentle to the participant, but if you are doing all those spirals, which is just a pretty way to say "engaging the muscles appropriately" you WILL work! And sweat! This is why I always want people to try a session or term of classes because popping in for one class may give a distorted picture of how a system works. If you drop in on restorative day you will come away thinking Iyengar is all about lying on a bolster, if you appear on Sun Salute day (I did that all last week) you will think it is all about aeorbics. So, tell us more!
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-11-12 10:05 AM (#12081 - in reply to #12072)

Gruvemom - 2004-11-12 3:14 AM

Am I crazy, or is the teacher?

Why can't it be both? Just kidding.

The Anusara classes I have taken are difficult. I don't sweat as much as I would in an ashtanga or vinyasa class, but I definitely work...hard!

Some of the more basic anusara classes I have taken are more vinyasa like: more poses, faster pace, less detail. The more advanced classes I took were slower and more detailed and much more challenging. They dealt with deeper postures and more alignment and more preparation to get you deeper into the poses properly.

Usually a class begins with a dharma talk, then chanting the invocation. Then some sun salutations. Then, depending on the level, a standing sequence that is either more vigorous or slower and more detailed. On the pinacle poses, there is usually a demo, a description and then a chance to practice it. Then it's usually arm balances which almost always include handstand variations. There is often some partner work too. Then it's various backbends, hip openers and floor poses.

Of course each teacher will be different. And classes can be crafted for many different levels. I am sure you can find the restorative, lunchtime, relaxing, non-sweaty, princess yoga class if you ask the studio. However, I would not go by the blanket statement that all Anusara is like that...'cuz it ain't!

Since it was new to you it might have just seemed a lot more challenging. In Anusara they give detailed cues on how to move every muscle in your body. If you are earnestly trying to follow all the cues, you will probably use a LOT more of your muscles than normal. That kind of increased energy output can result in much more heat and sweat. So a seemingly simple pose like triangle (uttitha trikonasana) can be done in a very lazy manner without recruiting the muscles of the legs, and abs and back. In Ashtanga, they occassionally remind you to activate your uddiyana bandha in triangle but otherwise usually only focus on getting your fingers toelocked around your big toe. If you are trying to do a proper triangle, in Anusara they will tell you to activate your legs and lift the toes and hug the muscles to the bones. They will have you try and pull your feet towards each other in an isometric contraction of the adducters. The inner and outer spirals of the back and front legs, respectively, work the hips. The belly draws in--uddiyana bandha. The shoulder blades draw together activating the muscles of the back. They lift and support the heart as you turn the torso heavenward. There is a slight backbend quality. The neck is long and the palette is drawn back opening the front of the throat. The arms pull into the shoulder sockets drawing toward the midline of the body. Then you grow organically outward in all directions. You radiate and open up to grace. Now breathe 5 deep ujjayi breaths.

****...I'm sweating just writing all that. It could be that all the little details added up to a much more involved and demanding class. I'm just speculating.

If you want a restorative class, then specifically seek it out. Ask before you pay them your money and go in. You can always request that the teacher work some restorative poses into the practice too. They have the right to say no, but you can always ask.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-12 10:40 AM (#12085 - in reply to #12080)

Guruvemom kept asking me if she'd sweat, or run around, or do all kinds of power-ish, Ashtanga-like activities. I said no, that it was true lunchtime yoga -- for me -- in that I don't break a sweat at all, but I work really hard. It's intense work, if you're putting your all into it, but not the type she is used to.

The description of this class she gave me sounds like this younger faction that is showing up around the country, where they are taking John Friend's desire to "kick it up a bit" as putting things in front of people that they're not physically ready to do. There are a lot of bad adjustments going on -- whereas Anusara does not adjust much at all, preferring the student to find it in their body from the languaging -- and there are injuries occurring. John wants to be able to take students of all levels to their next level, but what I see happening isn't that.

It sounds like a workshop I took recently. Two good friends of mine, in their 20s. They're a hot couple in the Anusara community, where these couple, teaching teams seem to be smiled upon these days. It was a beginning/advanced beginning workshop. I didn't understand how they were offering Ashtavakrasana, Koundinyasana, Bird of Paradise, etc., to these people who were sweating in lunges. Just those 3 poses alone done without the openness and strength? Well, they're not "done" they're just ... well. I sat here for 3 minutes on the clock trying to find words to describe it. I can't. They couldn't do the poses and the things the students were doing to try were something that would make most teachers wince, scream, and beg them to stop. I was surprised at these two, because they're excellent teachers. But I've come to the realization that they're excellent teachers -- for advanced students.

Anyway, I digress. What Guruvemom experienced sounds like someone trying to "kick it up" and perhaps to show her a thing or two, knowing she takes a more demanding type of yoga.

I stated I wished she were in my area, or that she could experience someone like Betsey Downing, who does exactly as Tourist described: works you really hard in subtle, difficult ways. Ways that open the body, align the spirit and movement, and really get you into a place where you can just slip into an asana you didn't know you could do.

This teacher also made her partner. I wish everyone knew that it's OK to say "No thank you. I would like you to give me something else to do." Not everyone wants to partner, but few are brave enough to say so.

Anyway. I have really mixed, unhappy thoughts about the discussion Guruvemom and I had. I didn't like the sound of the class, although I'm probably being overly sensitive. Oh - the talk disturbed her. Anusara classes are give and take, not sit and listen. It's not disrespect, but community and learning. If you're not used to that, it can be distracting.

C.
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-12 12:22 PM (#12088 - in reply to #12072)

What Christine said is all true! 

Thanks for the description, BayGuy... I have to say, if I'd had your detailed explanation prior to class, then I would definitely have known what to expect - and probably enjoyed it more - instead about half way through class I was in "Oh my god,gasp, did I ever really think, gasp, yoga was fun?" mode. 
I based my original idea of "what is Anusara" on comments made by 5 people (including our Christine) who don't know each other, are located in 3 different parts of the country and so completely unbiased. When all of these people said pretty much the same thing, I "ass"umed the class would be as they said - after all, in Ashtanga, the class is the same no matter where you are and who you study with... I thought John Friend was more into having the classes taught in a certain manner.

One thing that really peeved me (at my self) was that vassisthasana (side plank) is my favorite of all poses. I have big shoulders and they really give me a huge amount of power so I feel like I'm soaring in this pose.... by the time we got to it in the class on Wed I was exhausted (hey, I was exhausted by the time I got to the class, forget the asana), not to mention my feet don't get sweaty enough to stick to my mysore rug and I hadn't brought my spray bottle.... and I felt all over the place...ick... I hate that!

as for me and/or the instructor being crazy... it's' definitely a draw
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-11-12 12:38 PM (#12089 - in reply to #12088)

Gruvemom - 2004-11-12 12:22 PM

Thanks for the description, BayGuy...

It's YOGA Guy, actually. Hard to believe you could get us confused.

When all of these people said pretty much the same thing, I "ass"umed the class would be as they said - after all, in Ashtanga, the class is the same no matter where you are and who you study with... I thought John Friend was more into having the classes taught in a certain manner.

That's funny, I have only been to one Anusara studio. I found that each teacher there has their own style, but seemed to follow the same program...give or take. I read through the Anusara Teacher Training Manual and the way he described classes was not restorative, princess yoga. He describes the flow of class sort of like what I described. I am kind of baffled as to how so many people had that experience of an easy restorative non-sweaty class.

Guess we do things differently here in the big city...
Keith

Edited by YogaGuy 2004-11-12 12:39 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-11-12 1:45 PM (#12093 - in reply to #12089)

Expert Yogi

YogaGuy - 2004-11-12 12:38 PM

Gruvemom - 2004-11-12 12:22 PM

Thanks for the description, BayGuy...

It's YOGA Guy, actually. Hard to believe you could get us confused.

Keith

Take it as a compliment!
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-12 5:00 PM (#12100 - in reply to #12089)

It's YOGA Guy, actually"
Oh, God, I'm so sorry.... 

"Thats funny, I have only been to one Anusara studio."

WHAT?? You have a whole studio of Anusara teachers? We have one teacher that I know of in S florida! Wait, we might have 2 but I dont know where the other one is....
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-12 6:06 PM (#12105 - in reply to #12100)

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

No one said Anusara was restorative yoga, but rather that one works differently, equally as hard, though, as one would in a power/vinyasa/ashtanga class.

That was the relational difference. When compared to my Ashtanga practice, my Anusara theory classes are lunchtime, as far as rigor, building heat, aerobic exercise, or anything other than a little stretching for 1.5 hours.

Anusara is not forumla yoga, such as Bikram or the set series such as Ashtanga. The teachers are free to develop their own teaching style, and studios free to set their own syllabus, although JF's recommendations are in the teacher training manal and most studios honor that.

The flow or Vinyasa classes in Anusara can build a lot of heat and can be (but are not always) aerobic. Gurvemom said she was attending a Level I/II class. Vasisthasana is not considered of that level (but I'll have to check) for example, so it sounds to me like that teacher is doing as I described in this "kicking it up" mentality.

One can work really hard in an Anusara and Iyengar, even Sivananda class if one is acting on all the instructions and doing asana with total muscle and energy committment. No one called it restorative.

And yes, there is a lot of Anusara in Fl -- check the website. There's not as much as there is up here, though, this being the Anusara Armpit of the World. We're lucky: we have every type of yoga available to use in the world here in the DC area. Just like resturants, ethnic groceries, taxi drivers, etc.

C.
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-13 9:36 PM (#12136 - in reply to #12105)

I know what you mean Christine, and I did put that I'd heard it was restorative from a Svaroopa instructor who once told me "If you can't find Svaroopa, try an Anusara class". As you know (and the guys don't) I was looking for a less active class than my normal Ashtanga practice not one that was (for me) harder.
That's what I thought I was gettin'!
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-11-15 10:43 AM (#12220 - in reply to #12105)

YogaDancer - 2004-11-12 6:06 PM

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

No one said Anusara was restorative yoga, but rather that one works differently, equally as hard, though, as one would in a power/vinyasa/ashtanga class.

I've heard Anusara described as gentle, restorative, relaxing, lunchhour yoga, princess yoga, non sweatty yoga.

Christine:

This thread started off saying exactly that. You are exactly right about your descriptions of Anusara. However, the whole point of this thread (IMO) was that Gruvemom thought she was getting a gentle restorative yoga class.

Clearly there is a misunderstanding. You didn't say it. I didn't say it. But someone DEFINITELY said it.

Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-20 3:05 PM (#12618 - in reply to #12220)

Fortunately, I'll know what I'm getting myself into from now on! I'm trying to get him to start a new morning class that I would be able to go attend.... we'll see... maybe I'll come back from the "Ashtanga Dark Side".... mmuuuuwaaaahahhhahahahaah
CGG
Posted 2005-03-13 1:28 PM (#18952 - in reply to #12072)

So, I go and take a class and HELLO it was anything but the above! I figured I would go to the class, get a good stretch, not have to work very hard, there would be no sweating.... let's just say it was completely opposite!

I've heard that as well, but it's never been my personal experience. My anusara classes are often the most intense. I feel like I get the most "work" done there.
britt
Posted 2005-03-15 6:37 PM (#19160 - in reply to #18952)
Subject: Hi everyone!

message below

Edited by britt 2005-03-15 6:49 PM
britt
Posted 2005-03-15 6:38 PM (#19161 - in reply to #18952)
Subject: teacher/buyer 4 yoga studio CA

Hi - INFO I'd say the level of work load or expectation of any style or type of class can vary according to the experience level or wishes of the students or the preference of the teacher!

I'd say Anusara should include an approach which is recognisably learned from John Friend, enthusiastic, informed, respectful AND with humour... (see the web site www.anusara.com to order the manual for details of the approach) and certain emphasis on heart feelings, joyful release, strong work hugging the bones excellent alignment through inspiring terms and specific loops of energy and spirals of energy described so you can link in with them and improve your feeling in each pose.
That doesnt mean there cant be a lot of lying down tho!

I'm looking for premisis for a yoga studio in California ...modest is ok preferably already converted or in use but up for sale .... or partnership investment?

If you are aware of anyone who will be selling their studo or usable premisis anywhere in California shortly please please let me know ASAP?

im ready to go! (but in the Uk right now so looking isnt the easiest!! )

contact Britt direct yogandpilatesteacher@ yahoo.co.uk

Namaste

Edited by britt 2005-03-15 6:48 PM
Kabu
Posted 2005-03-18 12:36 PM (#19464 - in reply to #18952)

CGG - 2005-03-13 1:28 PM

I've heard that as well, but it's never been my personal experience. My anusara classes are often the most intense. I feel like I get the most "work" done there.

I find it intense because we hold the poses for a long time, and like mentioned in earlier posts, there's a great deal of adjusting and awareness of where different parts of my body are in a single pose. My legs get quite a workout.
CGG
Posted 2005-03-18 9:45 PM (#19515 - in reply to #19464)

I find it intense because we hold the poses for a long time, and like mentioned in earlier posts, there's a great deal of adjusting and awareness of where different parts of my body are in a single pose. My legs get quite a workout.

I went to a different studio with a friend today. It was quite different than my usual anusara classes, almost the entire 90 minutes was spent flowing through vinyasa with some inversion work thrown in as well. Afterwards the teacher asked me if I had studied lots of anusara. She then went on to compliment how I practiced, saying that my alignment was beautiful. She said that while she hasn't had much exposure to that style of yoga, students in her class who take it always have excellent alignment.

Going through postures so much faster was a real challenge. I'm so used to getting perfectly aligned in every pose, and today I didn't have that luxury. It was great to realize that I didn't need to worry because my body knew just what to do. The class was alot of fun. It's good to try something different every once in awhile. I enjoyed the workout and plan to attend again with my friend soon.
Kabu
Posted 2005-03-21 1:35 PM (#19727 - in reply to #19515)

My teacher offers a Vinyasa Flow class, but I think I'll hang out in the classic Anusara for a while for the reasons you've mentioned ~ I need the alignment practice before I can "flow" effortlessly. When I practice at home with "Power" DVDs, I'm usually a little behind because I'm busy monkeying with something like my shoulder blades, tailbone or my pinky toe. My hope is I'll be like you someday and able to drop into a pose out of habit.

I'm reading Baron Baptiste's book, and he mentions he can always spot Iyengar (and probably some Anusara) students ~ they're always concentrating, rarely smiling. I thought that was funny and now make a serious effort to smile in class.

Edited by Kabu 2005-03-21 1:36 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-03-21 6:43 PM (#19737 - in reply to #19727)

Expert Yogi

I have heard about those serious Iyengar students - we're not like that out here. Lots of giggles in class! I heard from a student who went to Pune to study with the Iyengars that a shopkeeper told her he could identify Iyengar students by their open shoulders and chests and Ashtangis by their bulky shoulders.
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-21 8:08 PM (#19743 - in reply to #19737)

Iyengar students by their open shoulders and chests and Ashtangis by their bulky shoulders.<(which we know is heavily Iyengar influenced - and where I started) and chiropractic have really openned my shoulders. Someone asked me if I'd been in the service b/c I was standing so erect the other day (it was a total stranger and I was at a mall). I thought it was strange...
LilBluGirl
Posted 2005-04-14 8:44 PM (#21988 - in reply to #19743)

Hi Gruvemom

Where are you in S. Florida. Did you go to Prana?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)