YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the roll up
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2004-11-17 6:16 PM (#12396)
Subject: the roll up

what am i doing wrong??

when i roll up my feet invariably leave the floor for a second or two. i know this is not correct. if i do a modified roll up (knees bent) - no problems.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-17 6:22 PM (#12398 - in reply to #12396)
Subject: RE: the roll up

Then do the modified roll up. You just probably need to build more strength until you can keep your feet on the floor. Either that, or just ask your teacher to watch you and help you troubleshoot.
easternsun
Posted 2004-11-18 9:11 AM (#12444 - in reply to #12396)

thanks itchytummy....

unfortunately, i live in an area where there is a lack of qualified teachers. you would not believe what is passing for a pilates class here.

i have been to several of the worst classes. they teach a modified class which looks nothing like a beginner mat video. i am no expert but i did do pilates years ago as part of my dance training. it would be best to describe the as basid and lacking substance. i also noted that the teachers do not really correct the students.

is there a way to search through an international network of teachers? i am in japan.
YogaChick
Posted 2004-11-18 10:04 AM (#12454 - in reply to #12396)

I agree with itchytummy, probably just a strength issue. Notice in your modified roll up if you are pressing your feet into the floor. If so, you are also engaging your leg muscles to do some of the work.

Try your modified roll up with relaxed feet. Then progress to a roll up with straighter legs and slightly bent knees before progressing to the full roll up with straight legs.

Sometimes it takes a very long time to develop a proper full roll up, even when other challenging Pilates moves seem to come more easily.
throwtoy
Posted 2004-11-19 9:11 AM (#12537 - in reply to #12454)

it happens to the best of us...

if legs extended, press legs together to really engage your bottom abdominals, flex feet, slightly pressing feet into the floor, pull your abdominals into your spine to help lift, lift your chin to your chest. try not to lift with your chest or thrust up. remember to reach but keep your shoulders away from your ears.

A lot of it is really pulling your abdominals in and up to ground you and to help lift you up. hope that helps!

Edited by throwtoy 2004-11-19 9:14 AM
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-19 8:25 PM (#12585 - in reply to #12444)

Pilates classes can differ quite a bit as there are very various different styles from the traditional pilates invented by Joseph Pilates himself, to the d.k. expansion system, yogalates--a mixture of yoga and pilates, stott pilates, etc. Are you sure you just weren't taking a pilates class that was a different style from the ones you took when you trained in dance?
sirensong2
Posted 2004-11-21 6:33 PM (#12659 - in reply to #12585)

i agree about pulling your abdominals in and up- it pulls your sacrum down and keeps you from tipping backward and lifting your toes off the floor. try going more slowly than you usually do too..see if that helps?
easternsun
Posted 2004-11-25 12:02 AM (#12866 - in reply to #12396)

itchytummy,

there is a current "boom" going on here in japan for yoga and pilates. everyone is signing up for classes. at my sports club, they are cramming students into classes. there is no correction either. what they are advertising is pilates. i have seen several tapes, done a lot of research on my own - and my opinion is that the students think they are doing a pilates class - but they are learning hardly anything in the course of a one hour class.

it would be better to call the classes, pilates based stretching. i would like nothing better than to find a qualified pilates practioner/teacher in my city...but so far it hasnt happened.

i will continue to look and continue to practice on my own but sometimes you just need a teacher to get the benefits!

and yes, i am still working on the roll up....i have also upped my yoga strength practice to twice a week. i cant have any ego about my yoga practice but i can have it about pilates!! ha ha
a perfect roll up by xmas??
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-26 5:15 PM (#12920 - in reply to #12866)

The perfect roll up is a possibilty. Just keep working on it. Sorry to hear that you don't have any qualified pilates instructors or studios in your area. Do you mind my asking what part of Japan you're in, maybe it would help the others in this forum point you in the right direction.

Maybe if you tell Santa you've been a good girl, he'll get you the pilates queen, Mari Winsor in person, for Christmas.
easternsun
Posted 2004-11-26 6:01 PM (#12929 - in reply to #12396)

itchytummy, let us just say that i do not live in tokyo. that is why i was asking if there is an international directory for pilates instructors.

i am not saying that there are no qualified teachers, i just have not found one in my area (west).

speaking of mary winsor...i have heard much about her dvds....too bad they would not work in my dvd player!! i keep telling my husband that i am going back to the old skool video tape player!!

the roll up is coming along....thanks for all the good words!

by the way, does anyone want to move to japan to teach pilates?? hee hee hee
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-27 12:50 PM (#12947 - in reply to #12929)

Easternsun, what Japanese city are you in? You said you are in the west, does that mean you are in the Kyushu region?

Edited by itchytummy 2004-11-27 12:53 PM
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-27 1:02 PM (#12948 - in reply to #12947)

Easternsun, you said the western part Japan, I don't if Fukuoka is anywhere near you, but here's a link to pilates studio in that area.

http://www.pilatesjapan.com/
easternsun
Posted 2004-11-27 10:35 PM (#12955 - in reply to #12396)

thanks itchytummy!

your name has such good connotations for me!!! itchytummy......scratch, scratch

thanks for the link. i am nowhere near fukuoka but i have contacted them to see if they can put me intouch with someone in my area.

i am thinking of ordering the winsor series....any comments?
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-28 12:18 PM (#12964 - in reply to #12955)

I'm sorry to hear fukuoka is nowhere near you, but I'm glad you were able to contact them to see if they could put you in touch with someone in your area, as the pilates community in one area can often point others to resources in another area. I don't know of free international pilates directory, but you can go to an online search engine specially geared to your area and see what comes up. Whereabouts are you in Japan, do you mind my asking? Maybe there's other people from your area in this forum that can help you out. Sorry to say I don't know much about pilates in Japan as I'm in Las Vegas.

As for the winsor series...I'm a little leery about videos. I think videos should come with warning labels. Use them with caution, as you don't have a live instructor correcting your form if you're doing potentially dangerous moves. But then again, you have experience with pilates already, so that gives you more of a solid foundation than people who are doing pilates for the first time. Winsor I think is good for people who have some experience, and it's great because it also gives modifications instead of telling people who aren't ready to do a certain move to do it. With any new fitness product purchase, I recommend checking it out first and finding out a little about it before purchase, so that you know that in the long run you will be happy with what you bought.

Here's a link to the Mari Winsor sight if it helps.
http://www.winsorpilates.com

Also here's a link where you can find reviews covering the pros and cons of her series.
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Exercise_Equipment-Winsor_Pilates/display_~reviews

Hope this helps.

By the way, thanks for scratching my belly.
reinbeau
Posted 2004-11-29 5:18 AM (#12983 - in reply to #12955)

easternsun - 2004-11-27 10:35 PM

thanks itchytummy!

your name has such good connotations for me!!! itchytummy......scratch, scratch

thanks for the link. i am nowhere near fukuoka but i have contacted them to see if they can put me intouch with someone in my area.

i am thinking of ordering the winsor series....any comments?
Of all the videos out there, I've heard the Winsor series are probably the best for home use, they're very complete, and Mari does know Pilates, she teaches it well. It's still no substitute for hands-on training, but if you have the fundamentals down they're a good resource.

Ann
easternsun
Posted 2004-11-29 8:07 AM (#12985 - in reply to #12396)

thanks for all the help....i will rollup!!!!

i am in osaka, japan. this area is called kansai and there are four main cities ; osaka, nara, kyoto and kobe. there are about 14 million people here, and these days a lot of them want to take yoga and pilates!!! i am sure if i keep networking i will come up with a teacher.

i totally agree with the "videos can be dangerous" theory. i do rely on videos a lot for pilates but i always try to do each move correctly. i also follow the "quality not quantity" theory!! one thing i find, if it is easy - i am definitely not doing it right!!!

thanks for the links!! much appreciated!
mecnunileyli
Posted 2009-01-14 9:55 AM (#112874 - in reply to #12948)

itchytummy - 2004-11-27 1:02 PM

http://www.pilatesjapan.com/

itchytummy , thank you very much for web address...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)