YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vegetarians??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Posted 2004-12-01 2:08 PM (#13107 - in reply to #13106)
Subject: RE: Vegetarians??

Neel Wrote: "...heat to boil and then reduce heat to min and cover with a lead."

I'd think covering any veggies with lead would be hazardous to your health.

Sorry Brother Neel--couldn't resist.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tarakananda
Posted 2004-12-05 3:56 PM (#13231 - in reply to #12416)

I was a carnivore extreme when I took up meditation, and after reluctanly becoming a vegetarian, began to notice very beneficial results. It is essential that anyone wanting to make progress in meditation (or to remain healthy, period) should become a vegetarian.

Perhaps I've gone from carnivore extreme to vegetarian extreme.

See: Spiritual Benefits of a Vegetarian Diet
sirensong2
Posted 2004-12-09 6:35 PM (#13434 - in reply to #13231)

p fried tofu! I love it! it also gets crispy and brown if you bake it ( coat with herbed oil first)
i've also heard that if your freeze your tofu and then thaw before you cook, it it gets a nice sort of dense flaky swordfish-like texture.

on a slightly diferent note- my nana has decided to adopt a semi-vegetarian diet (mostly because she suffers from arthritis and her doctor told her less meat=less inflammation) and i'm looking for a beautiful cookbook to give her for the holidays. low salt/ diabetes friendly is a plus. she's in her 80's, so simple dishes w/loads of pictures would probably be best...

thanks!

Edited by sirensong2 2004-12-09 6:36 PM
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-09 7:17 PM (#13440 - in reply to #12416)

>> In Him is everything, Him you must try to find. (Anandamayi Ma) <<

Sounds like that "Him" is a cool dude. Whom are you talking about?

>> bad spellers of the world, untie! <<

Thushara
Posted 2004-12-09 10:12 PM (#13450 - in reply to #13440)

oh Afroyogi Grow up

Didn’t your mum teach you that googling is better than questioning???

http://www.anandamayi.org/pb/p59a.htm

(Any way this is not about my type of stuff ok.. Dont start fighting with me now :-) I was just curious as usual .)
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-09 10:17 PM (#13454 - in reply to #13450)

Expert Yogi

Thushara - 2004-12-09 10:12 PM

oh Afroyogi Grow up :x

Didn’t your mum teach you that googling is better than questioning???

http://www.anandamayi.org/pb/p59a.htm

(Any way this is not about my type of stuff ok.. Dont start fighting with me now :-) I was just curious as usual .)
:wink:

This is the answer???

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Edited by Bay Guy 2004-12-09 10:18 PM
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-10 4:02 AM (#13466 - in reply to #13454)

Oh bay guy

Its a .html extension.

Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-12 10:58 AM (#13534 - in reply to #13466)

Expert Yogi

Oh, okay, I got it. But that page makes me feel like I walked in on the
middle of a long conversation, where I don't quite know what's going on.

It sounds a bit like Bhakti yoga. Quoting from that page:

Remember always repetition of His name has enough power to wash away all sins if there be any whether of this life or of the past ones.

I don't know what sins are (I'm not kidding...WTF is a sin, beyond the errors that we
human beings are prone to make in dealing with one another?). I do remember what
Krishna Das said about chanting the revealed names of the divine as a path to reaching
the divine, and that's more or less how I would read the quote above.

That would lead me to saying that the answer to Stefan's question about "Who is him?"
would be "Him is in all of us human beings" or "Him is called Rama, Krishna, Siva, Sita,
Durga, Govidna, Gopala, Shambu,....Stefan, Thushara..."

afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-12 3:57 PM (#13544 - in reply to #12416)

Very good, BG! Although I meant my question more as a joke I slowly realize that it seems to be quite a clever one. According to the different religions there are many entities we could name "Him".
But I don't believe in the sins-wash-away theory. No matter what you do, praying 100 Ave Marias, chanting some sanskrit stuff or whatever - the sin stays with you! You did wrong and the people you've harmed still have to suffer from it. It's much to easy a solution to just go to church, confess and everything is fine again. No, I don't believe that! That would be like a general allowance to do evil things. I could go to the next Motorcycle shop then, steal my favourite Harley and come sunday I go to church, pray a little and the sin is gone. No sir!

Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-12 7:23 PM (#13551 - in reply to #13544)

Expert Yogi

Well, Stefan, as I said, I don't know what a sin is. I do know that we need to
work on dealing with other people in a harmonious way, and I completely agree
with you that going into a pew in a church and whispering to god about how sorry
you are doesn't do anything to patch things up with whomever you hurt. It's a lame
excuse for an apology, no?
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-13 6:45 AM (#13570 - in reply to #13551)

---------But I don't believe in the sins-wash-away theory

Afroyogi I have to agree with you., from my small age, when my catholic friends were talking about this, I was wondering about the logic behind this “sins wash away theory “ and I couldn’t figure out., What I thought was that ..Once you did it its done.

But now my thinking is that this theory is more like a “counseling work done by a psychologist”. Its that you do something wrong., But now you have realized and you regret, you need to tell somebody ., after that you feel relieved …... Sort of a thing.. In this way I think it’s not a bad idea though…

-------------------I don't know what a sin is

Bay guy, my idea of “Sin is that it’s a synonym for “wrong intention”

If you look at crime. it make harm to another living being so I see it as sin which is so obvious. But you cannot strictly define what you mean by “Wrong action”. It can be changed with various parameters.

I think “Sin” should be basically defined by intentions rather than actions, because you know that decisions begin with intentions, and there is qualitative content to intentions determining the specific complexities apart from external factors, which can affects the results of actions.

Actions are influenced by many factors, (environmental factors) which a person cannot control. But a person's intentions are perfectly an object, which he creates of himself (Which should be controlled). In shaping intentions, everything in a person's mind determines the result.

With intention you do action, and the action you do today and did yesterday will define your tomorrow. So if the intention is wrong the other phases of the flow might not be so good as it’s inherited from its set of series inherited from its previous. (So you call its results of sin you did) I can really explain what I mean, by using object-oriented concept in IT using classes, inheritance, and behaviors of classes. But as this should be a generic explanation I think it’s not a good idea to do that.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)