YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hmmmm....Ashtanga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

ShaktiGrrl
Posted 2004-11-18 10:27 AM (#12462)
Subject: Hmmmm....Ashtanga?

I am kind of thinking about starting Ashtanga. I can go to the NY Shala studio, which seems to be the epicenter of American Ashtanga. I looked at their webiste and I don't get how the run their classes. Are there any adustments at all (I am a big ol' adjustment slut). I love the physicality of yoga and my mind follows my phisical transformation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-11-18 11:48 AM (#12471 - in reply to #12462)
Subject: RE: Hmmmm....Ashtanga?

Ah...we meet again ShaktiGrrl

Yoga Shala is a mysore style studio. Although they do have a beginner series workshop and a couple of Led Primary classes on the schedule.

Mysore style means you practice on your own, quietly, with occassional adjustments and instruction from the teacher. You first learn the Sun Salutations, then the standing series, then a few poses from the seated series and, finally, the closing series. You come in and do your sun salutes, your standing series, then as much of the seated (primary) series as you are capable of, then move to your closing sequence and then sivasana and you're out of there.

David Swenson describes the practice as a yoga sandwich. Your sun salutes and standing sequence is one slice of bread and your closing sequence is the other slice of bread. The meat (or tofu patty) is the primary (or whatever series you are up to) series. You only learn the poses one or two at a time and don't get taught more until you have mastered them. It requires a commitment to stick with it and come and work with the same teacher and allow him/her to guide you through the series over time.

Oh, and they love really deep adjustments usually....sometimes too deep.

Go take their beginner workshop to find out more about it. See if it's for you.

Also look into Eddie Stern's studio on Broome Street. And there is another place on Rivington Street....Manju Jois's school. Check that out too.

Good luck.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)