YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sanskrit vs western names
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2004-11-29 8:13 AM (#12986)
Subject: sanskrit vs western names

i wanted to post this under general because i would like to get reponses from both teachers and students.

for teachers: do you teach only the sanskrit names? do you teach only the english names?
do you teach a combination of both? do you ever relate stories to how a certain asana was named?

for students: do you prefer sanskrit? in your mind, which do you recall? the sanskrit or the english version of the name?

are you interested in the history of the names or do you just want to get on the mat and get to it?

thanks for letting me pick your brains!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2004-11-29 9:52 AM (#12990 - in reply to #12986)
Subject: RE: sanskrit vs western names

Expert Yogi

I teach both but have a preference for the Sanskrit becuase I like words. Also, some of the English names are more complicated than the Sanskrit. I find that visual people tend not to remember either language ("you know, the pose where your arm goes here and your leg goes there" is how my friend D explains which pose she means). I talk about how the syllables combine to make the name when they are in the pose. I don't like having students stand to listen (unless I know they need a breather) as a rule. Better to be doing, especially for beginners.

Posted 2004-11-29 1:13 PM (#12994 - in reply to #12990)

As a current student and future teacher, and combining this thread with the good quote one--I really don't have a preference..."A rose is a rose is a rose." - Gertrude Stein
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-11-29 1:32 PM (#12996 - in reply to #12986)

I use both the english and the sanskrit. For several reasons:

1) Can't always remember the sanskrit
2) Most people don't understand sanskrit and don't know what the heck I'm talking about
3) Using English makes the practice more approachable and less foreign for many students

Sometimes I get so busy talking people into the poses, I just plain forget to tell them the name of the pose. Sometimes I make up variations of poses and vinyasas and I don't know what to call them.

Usually though it's something like "stand on your knees preparing for ustrasana, camel pose." Or alternating with each vinyasa "chaturanga, urdvha muka svanasana, adho muka svanasana" with "lower down halfway, upward facing dog, downward facing dog."

afroyogi
Posted 2004-11-29 1:33 PM (#12997 - in reply to #12986)

>> for students: do you prefer sanskrit? in your mind, which do you recall? the sanskrit or the english version of the name? <<

To be honest I would prefer neither but go for the german names Only one little problem: Not may yoga teachers in SA are speaking german, even if they are germans. The majority of the class wouldn't understand a word. Since the german names are pretty much the same as the english (but in german) it doesn't make that big a difference though. On the other hand I have to admit that very slowly I develop a liking for the sanskrit names. My teachers are using both english and sanskrit which I find great for it's learning effect.

>> are you interested in the history of the names or do you just want to get on the mat and get to it? <<

Though I am interested in all the theoretical things in yoga, I prefer to read about it on the net or in books. But in class I wanna get to it, true! I don't mind listening to some historical or philosophical readings while in savasana though.

For all the teachers: I know, I know, using the sanskrit names is so much better and more authentic but please give us time to get used to it. Especially as a beginner every class is a bit of a challenge as it is already. Why make us struggle even more by adding a new language on top of that "pretzel business"?

Edited by afroyogi 2004-11-29 1:38 PM
flipcat
Posted 2004-11-29 2:34 PM (#13002 - in reply to #12986)

As a student, allow me to present a case for both;

While concentrating so vigorously on this hip and that spin alignment, etc, I am really overloaded if having to struggle with interpreting asana names but on the other hand...I have been to several different classes where one 'style's' boat pose is another's bow pose, etc. It is kind of nice to have the Sanskrit name so that you have a unified standard. My ideal situation would be along the lines of YogaGuy's method. Throw them both in and hope something sticks over time
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-11-29 4:18 PM (#13009 - in reply to #13002)

flipcat - 2004-11-29 2:34 PM

...I have been to several different classes where one 'style's' boat pose is another's bow pose, etc. It is kind of nice to have the Sanskrit name so that you have a unified standard.

Sadly, I've seen the same confusion with sanskrit names for poses. Look at Bikram's ardha chandrasana and trikonasana compared to some other styles. Look at yogadancer's website and you'll see various interpretations of the same pose by different practitioners.

There is no unified standard.

Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-29 7:48 PM (#13018 - in reply to #13009)

My first teacher used both english and sanskrit for each pose, which I prefer.

Because so many teachers use different English words for the same pose, it can be confusing to go to a new class.

I have to say, I prefer the sanskrit
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-30 9:14 PM (#13081 - in reply to #13009)

YogaGuy - 2004-11-29 1:18 PM

There is no unified standard.

...Just when you thought yoga could make your life easier.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-11-30 9:37 PM (#13082 - in reply to #13081)

Expert Yogi

You not only have to adopt the Sanskrit, you have to adopt one school's
assignment of Sanskrit names to poses. Consider Samkatasana and
Durvasasana...same pose in the Ghosh lineage and the Iyengar lineage,
different Sanskrit name (roughly "difficult pose" and "Durvasa's pose", respectively).
Even Iyengar and Jois/Ashtanga names differ in places, especially in the higher
Ashtanga series --- and they had the same teacher.

The closest thing to a standard are Iyengar's Sanskrit names, and that's mainly
because his teachings are so widely known.

Some teachers argue that English names should be preferred simply because they
are descriptive -- "one-leg behind the head pose" is pretty clear, no?

Thushara
Posted 2004-11-30 11:08 PM (#13086 - in reply to #13082)

It doesn’t matter to me as I m familiar with Sanskrit words and English (to an extend). Both are not my Native languages, But still I like when they use Sanskrit words for yoga. That gives the real flavor of it.

When you say “Padmasana” to me its more rhythmic than you say “Lotus pose.”
Lakhesis
Posted 2005-01-20 2:59 AM (#15167 - in reply to #12986)

I love the Sanskrit myself. Once I've gotten into the flow of a session (it doesn't take long anymore!), its almost as though all oter words melt away outside of the Sanskrit asana names (unless my teacher is addressing me directly)
Funnily enough, I often find the English names a bit jolting and confusing, especially since they tend to differ slightly between teachers. (ie. 'That's a Frog??? I thought it was a Crow???!!!')
For me, the flow of Sanskrit reflects the flow that I feel in the class, and I like that.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-01-20 5:42 AM (#15175 - in reply to #12996)

My Swami tends to work like YogaGuy. He'll introduce a new pose by its Sanskrit name. He then repeats it, emphasising each part and explaining what it means. He then uses Sanskrit and English at random.... probably in the futile hope we'll eventually remember one or the other

The confusion thing is big time for me as the Bihar School of Yoga's English names for poses can be very different for what's meant by the same name in other forms. E.G. Your Extended Child is my Moon pose!

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-01-20 5:47 AM
itchytummy
Posted 2005-01-24 8:33 PM (#15492 - in reply to #15175)

I tend to mix in Sanskrit with English myself. Sometimes when I'm not fully present, I'll throw in some words from other languages as well. Odd, I know, but sometimes I get people who speak Spanish and not very good English in my classes, so neither English or Sanskrit helps them much--I usually just go up to those students and privately explain to them what to do in Spanish once in a while so that they're not going around in a complete state of confusion. Sometimes things can get very interesting when you're living in as culturally and linguistically diverse a community as I do.

Edited by itchytummy 2005-01-24 8:35 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)