YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Resolutions / Predictions?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-08 2:24 PM (#13388 - in reply to #13157)
Subject: RE: Resolutions / Predictions?

Of course, Bed Guy, only small things like straightening out, stretching here and there, a bit of twisting, rolling the head and focusing the eyes on different points when I sit at the computer. And also when I drive I sit most of the times in half lotus. I never liked automatic but for practicing yoga it comes quite handy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sirensong2
Posted 2004-12-09 6:23 PM (#13433 - in reply to #13388)

i'm a preschool teacher, so i get the chance to sit on the floor in half lotus or double pigeon often... if it occurs to me. standing forward bends & and garland pose come in handy when conversing w/four year olds too!
-

Edited by sirensong2 2004-12-09 6:25 PM
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-09 7:11 PM (#13439 - in reply to #13157)

Oh, and whenever I'm standing in queue (sp?) somewhere, say bank or post office I try to spend as much time as possible in Vkrasana. Not the full pose with hands over the head mind you. I don't normally give a dam about what other people may think of me but what's too much is too much
tourist
Posted 2004-12-09 10:00 PM (#13447 - in reply to #13433)

Expert Yogi

Hey sirensong - me too! I work with the toddlers in our centre so I spend a lot of time on the floor:-) You can sit one child on each leg in upavista konasana for a good stretch. Just make sure they are similar weights
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-09 10:11 PM (#13449 - in reply to #13433)

Expert Yogi

sirensong2 - 2004-12-09 6:23 PM

i'm a preschool teacher, so i get the chance to sit on the floor in half lotus or double pigeon often... if it occurs to me. standing forward bends & and garland pose come in handy when conversing w/four year olds too!
-

I occasionally squat (and wish I could get away with going to Malasana/Garland) when
talking to people. I rather often sit on my chair in half lotus or lotus with a sweater
tossed over my lap (call it camouflage). And sometimes if I get to some annoying
meeting before everyone else shows up, I will do a handstand just to calm down.

Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-09 10:13 PM (#13451 - in reply to #13439)

Expert Yogi

afroyogi - 2004-12-09 7:11 PM

Oh, and whenever I'm standing in queue (sp?) somewhere, say bank or post office I try to spend as much time as possible in Vkrasana. Not the full pose with hands over the head mind you. I don't normally give a dam about what other people may think of me but what's too much is too much

Sometimes I do Standing Bow Pulling pose while pumping gas...if the pump is one that
has a working stop on the handle. A lot of places have missing stops so you have to
stand there clutching the stinky handle until the tank is full.
tourist
Posted 2004-12-09 10:17 PM (#13453 - in reply to #13449)

Expert Yogi

I have a friend who works in an office and has sometimes gone into a quiet corner to do a handstand to wake herself up - while wearing a dress!
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-09 10:19 PM (#13455 - in reply to #13453)

Expert Yogi

In a dress? Does she wear knee-length bloomers under it, or is she just counting
on nobody walking by?
tourist
Posted 2004-12-10 9:44 AM (#13469 - in reply to #13455)

Expert Yogi

Just hopes for the best, I think - at least the one time that she tells the story about anyaway I did a headstand at a party recently with upavista, baddhakonasana, eka pada and ardha variations but was wearing more appropriate clothing. (I don't want to say "pants," trousers" or "undergarments" in case this post gets deleted, too... )
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-10 1:49 PM (#13481 - in reply to #13157)

Bay Guy, come to South Africa, here nice little black men are filling up for you and cleaning your screen too. Since we're living here I never ever had to leave the car at a gas station, cool huh? They're also checking oil, water and tyre pressure if you want.
But never tell them full up! Coz then you have to wait endlessly while they're trying to fill the tank up to the very last possible drop.
amleu
Posted 2004-12-10 3:11 PM (#13487 - in reply to #13433)

I am a stay at home mom and I often do forward bends and mountain pose through the day.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-10 9:26 PM (#13501 - in reply to #13481)

Expert Yogi

afroyogi - 2004-12-10 1:49 PM

Bay Guy, come to South Africa, here nice little black men are filling up for you and cleaning your screen too. Since we're living here I never ever had to leave the car at a gas station, cool huh? They're also checking oil, water and tyre pressure if you want.
But never tell them full up! Coz then you have to wait endlessly while they're trying to fill the tank up to the very last possible drop.

Ah, you are missing out on one of the great chores of the Proletariat by letting someone
else fill your gas tank. You did say that you used to be communist, didn't you? Now I can
see the change that's come over you since you stopped following Brother Marx.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-11 6:26 PM (#13518 - in reply to #13157)

Bay Guy, as much as I like Marx's ideas do I dislike communism, or whatever those funny russians tried to sell as communism. It had nothing to do with Marx's manifesto!
That aside don't you find it nice that in a country with a very high unemployment rate they at least keep some of the low-profile jobs up? So there's some job opportunities for the uneducated township population. I heard these gas attendants don't even receive a regular salary but make a living from the tipps. For the same reason I can proudly state that we are employing a maid. Not that we wouldn't be able to keep our little semi clean by ourselves, but she came and begged us for the job. We also have someone mowing the lawn sometimes. It's more like a duty to employ some people here - even if you are considerably poor - what we are. It's actively sharing the "wealth", just without giving the money away for nothing. Let's not forget that even the poor blacks are proud people. Many wouldn't like to receive money for nothing and a job gives you a better social standing. Heck, many of the black guys are really parading around in their blue worksuits for everybody to see: Look at me, I have a task, I'm productive, I'm important!
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-11 7:33 PM (#13521 - in reply to #13518)

Expert Yogi

It's good to share the wealth and to help those who are less fortunate.

During the US Depression, my grandmother (who's husband had a good
job) used to hire people to help with odd jobs. One fellow (yes, he was black)
came around to the back door (as such things were then done.. the back
door went to the kitchen, and it's where deliverymen were received), and he
pleaded for work, saying he needed to support his family. She hired him, and the
arrangement included her preparing lunch for him to eat (I don't recall whether
that was the entire wage for his time...my grandmother died 20 years ago, and
I was too young and oblivious to have written these stories down). So he did
miscellaneous chores in the house and the yard, and she would make his lunch every day.
She'd set the food out in the kitchen and leave him to eat. Each time she came
back, he would have cleared his plate and emptied the serving dish. Obviously
a very hungry man. So she would make a bit more each time, and each time
she returned he would have consumed it all.

Finally, one day she set out a large bowl of potatoes (boiled, I think) with his
lunch. Incredibly, that too was gone when she returned. Later that day, they
were out in the yard discussing some task to be done, when he absent mindedly
pulled a potato from his coat pocket and took a bite. They both looked at each
other, and he explained that he had been taking whatever she served home to
his family. It was the only food that they were getting.

I don't recall the rest of the tale, but I often think of it when, as tonight, one
of my kids refuses to eat the meal that he was served. In fact, I think I will
go and make a bedtime story of this.
jebaz
Posted 2004-12-11 10:19 PM (#13523 - in reply to #13157)

Bay Guy I really enjoyed your story. It reminded me of stories my family shared with me. I don't know how long presidence of people coming to the back(kitchen) door was or if that was regional. My grandfater was a chaplin in WWI he had stories of his grandmother in SC during the time post civil war having men come to the backyard porch looking to work(ie meal). During this holiday season your story remindes me of leasons my family wanted me to learn, and seem too often I am hurried in my daily life and don't think of. Thanks for the reminder

may Peace be with us all
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-12 11:04 AM (#13535 - in reply to #13523)

Expert Yogi

Thanks, Jebaz.

I did go and tell that story to my "won't eat dinner" kid, with the
result that he finished his meal. We're too well off nowadays for
kids to understand how lucky they really are.

Om shanti, shanti, shanti.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-12 4:06 PM (#13545 - in reply to #13157)

Kid: "Eeeek, I don't like that strange food you're serving, mom!"
Mom: "Go, finish your plate, kiddo!"
Kid: "No, mom, I won't eat that!"
Mom: "Boy, in India and Africa the kids would be happy if they only got half of your portion..."
Kid: "Yeah, me too!"

Edited by afroyogi 2004-12-12 4:08 PM
sirensong2
Posted 2004-12-12 6:51 PM (#13549 - in reply to #13545)

afroyogi's script coulda come right from my house circa 1989
i personally never (til i was old enough to true appreciate things on my own )got how kids starving in other countries were supposed to make the food on my plate more appealing. when you're really small that kind of abstract guilt tripping tends not to work- i do think its great for pre teens and teens, who have the developmental capacity for such empathy/appreciation , but not the will to use it!

as for the "back door" treatment for beggars, servicemen, & minorities of any economic class... it was pretty common all along the east coast of the US, until a few generations ago. ( my nana remembers this when she was a child and first came to NY) i don't know about the other regions.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-12 9:05 PM (#13556 - in reply to #13549)

Expert Yogi

My grandmother was in the midwest, so the backdoor thing
must've been widespread.

The guilt tripping, in this case, was aimed at a preteen. Still
had to go through the same thing tonight, with another unfamiliar
food. At least he's honing his rhetorical skills by debating his
parents.

Stefan, your dialog hits the nail on the head.

Thushara
Posted 2004-12-12 11:45 PM (#13567 - in reply to #13556)

I’m so happy that you guys from west have this sort of sensitivity towards social discrimination and poor kids. But what do you do about it? Any plans for New Year?

Ok. I will start telling what I do. I have been helping 2 small kids for schooling for more than 2 years now. They are from a very poor family. Father is in the prison and the mother is working in a small factory as an unskilled laborer. Their teacher told me that these kids are so good in studies., But they have no money for books., And they wont come to school daily because they have to look after their baby sister while mother goes to work. Imagine an 8-year-older (that time) is looking after his baby sister. These 2 kids (around 10, 12 years) were taking turns to come to school. When I heard that I thought of helping these 2 kids as the teacher said that they are very good in their studies., I get their yearly reports and I’m so happy that these 2 are doing very well now and the younger kid has got average around 75 for all the subjects this year. I’m sure and I hope these 2 will be very well educated one day and will have a different life than their parents. Not anybody in my family or friends who knows about these kids., coz I don’t want them to have any obligations in the future due to my help

I do not believe in most of the clubs and big societies, which are there to help poor kids. Most of them are just a big show. When they spend 1$ to do something useful they spend 100$ for advertisements and functions. (Yep still its good that these exists) So I believe in helping people (specially the kids) as much as I can individually and silently. If I have time I can tell you thousands of funny stories about these world famous societies who comes to poor countries for helping people.

Some of these societies are gone to a stage where they say if your family converts to XXX religion, we support your kids.

Again I will tell you a true story on this

My mother is a government school teacher and one day there has been a Buddhist religious event at her school., So all the Buddhist children were asked to attend when the monk came to give a religious lecture. My mum has seen that one of the small kids was hiding behind the partition and listening to the monk without going to the area where kids were supposed to sit and listen. Obviously my mum was surprised and she has asked the kid why don’t you go there and sit with other kids., Then he has said, “teacher, I’m staying in the school hostel (All the XXX converted children are adopted in the school hostel with all the facilities ) and if they get to know that I came here to listen to the monk they will ask me to go back home and my parents cant afford for my schooling”

Isn’t it so sad?

Imagine how much money and food we waste??? So many people will be sorry for poor kids and talk about it. But how many of them do something about it??? I hope you guys obviously do.

Edited by Thushara 2004-12-12 11:48 PM
jebaz
Posted 2004-12-13 12:07 AM (#13568 - in reply to #13157)

Thushara I often wounder if most of the giving that others do are in a small and priviate maner. Helping locally is what my wife and I like to do. I have lived on or next to a Reservation in the South west out the us for the last 7 pluss years. Poverty is no stranger in the rual southwest. But just as in the southeast where I was raised compasion and love is often given in a small, indivigual gesture.

Just like a meal might have been served in the back kitchen in the days ago. Quite helping hands are out there helping others in our communities. I like to think that giving locally is a fine place to start. We (my wife and I) prefere to be quite about it. Service to our neighbors is not unique or regional and needed year round but any holiday from any religion that celebrates sharing with others is a sentament I applaud.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-13 4:21 PM (#13586 - in reply to #13157)

Thushara, may I ask where you live?
I think it's a great thing that you do. Let the politicians do the talking about "Children are the future!" and let's get practical ourselves.
See, my wife and me we supported an orphan in Urugay for a few years. But we had to give up our engagement when we went bankrupt. Nowadays we try to help on a small scale and share our "wealth" with poor people around the 'hood. Sometimes I help preparing food for the outreach project of the ashram as well, even if I don't attend many of their other activities.
Namaste
naturally
Posted 2004-12-13 5:26 PM (#13591 - in reply to #13567)

Personally, I'm more comfortable doing things without making a big fuss of it. I've worked with various charities/volunteer organizations and the red tape and politics make it little more than a lesson in futility. I'd much rather do things like take an unexpected meal by a neighbors that may be having a rough time (recent death, birth, loss of job...) and not make an issue than trying to make some grand gesture for the proverbial pat on the back. Call is a simplistic faith if you like, but I figure if someone has a need for what I can offer then they will cross my path, and vice versa. The hard part is that I find that the majority of society is suspicious of generosity and find it hard to accept.
Be Well
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-13 11:15 PM (#13600 - in reply to #13586)

afroyogi - 2004-12-14 3:21 AM

Thushara, may I ask where you live?

I live in Sri Lanka. But this situation doesn’t arise only in Sri Lanka., In most of the Asian countries the situation is such., Poverty is a very big issue., Any way in India it’s a major issue than SL., But in Singapore I have seen Its totally different as the Singapore government does quite a lot for the country and people. Some times I talk to taxi drivers when coming from Airport and so on., They adore the Government I have seen in Indonesia and Thailand again there are so many poor kids on the streets. Once I went to Pathaya Islands of Thailand and I cannot explain (in a public forum) the way 3 little girls tried to attract tourists to earn few bucks. Yeah like you said governments are screwed up., That’s one reason I don’t like to talk about politics. In the history, these countries have had a greater civilization while some of the countries had nothing but only the savages. But its sad, most of the problems today are due to stupid politics and corruptions and pointless war. Again its peoples fault too., If they are poor they should work hard., But most of them do not try to come out of it.

Its not only in Asia, Once I went to Uganda for a SME IT consultancy project supported by UN and that time I realized that Asia is not the worst place.

Im not worried much about adults. But when you see poor children suffering and when you cant do anything about it., you have no idea what a hopeless feeling it is. Coz children are so innocent and it’s not their fault.

Some times we spend so much of money for branded cloths and cosmetics and shoes., Sometimes I don’t know whether it the right thing to do as well., But still I like those stuff. I don’t know when I will be mature enough to spend less on this stuff and try to help more poor kids for their studies.

I think we all should do something instead talking when we see a small kid who needs help (within our capacity.) It will make a major difference in his or her life we never know., So one day we can be happy by thinking we really did something useful in our life.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)