YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Resolutions / Predictions?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-02 5:59 PM (#13157)
Subject: Resolutions / Predictions?

Well, it's that time of the year again when we sit back and think about what happened through the last 11 months. Did we do well? Did we make lots of mistakes? Did we take a wrong turn somewhere along the path of life? What are our resolutions to get a better life? What's the general outlook for the next year?
Since I started this, please allow me to go first:

1. Like all the years before I will try not to accept any bull**** anymore.
2. Become a better yogi.
3. Finally finish my bike project.
4. Convert to vegetarianism ... or at least give it a try.
5. Keep on being a loving and true hubby to my wife.
6. I predict that my computers will be even more outdated by the end of the year and still I will be to cheap to invest in a new 'putah.
7. Try to survive (crime, traffic, the neighboring nuclear power plant and oil refinery, my cooking...)
8. Tiling the kitchen and bathroom.
9. Build a sundeck in the garden.
10. Stay away from alcohol ... well, with the small exception of beer.
11. Stay healthy.
12. Did I mention that I intend not to take any bull**** anymore?
13. Become more honest - with others and myself too.
14. Drive less - Ride more!
15. Learn to walk upright.

So far my resolutions, now for some predictions:

1. Gas prices will rise
2. Nevertheless more soccer-moms will drive around in gas-guzzling SUVs
3. Politicians and big corporations will find more methods to make our lifes miserable
4. There will be the big american revolution and GW Bush will end on the guilottine ... no wait, I mixed up predictions witrh my last dream

Okay, who's next?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itchytummy
Posted 2004-12-02 7:33 PM (#13161 - in reply to #13157)
Subject: RE: Resolutions / Predictions?

1. Try to procastinate less.
2. Procrastinate less.
3. Procrastinate less.
4. Procrastinate less.

....Maybe I should go and stop procrastinating and get some papers done!
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-02 9:29 PM (#13163 - in reply to #13157)

Expert Yogi

Stefan, those are great. I have to say that resolutions 1 and 5 are going to be
very easy for you. You are that way. But I fear that number 4 is going to be difficult.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-02 10:17 PM (#13164 - in reply to #13163)

Expert Yogi

Oh wait, I'm supposed to put some resolutions here too. F*ck...

How about these:

1. I will sustain my yoga practice despite all obstacles.
2. I will spend more time with my kids.
3. [private]
4. I will not let [unnamed yoga board person #1] and [unnamed yoga board person #2]
pull me into pointless debates about semantics and opinions.
5. I will drink less alcohol.
6. I will eat more vegetables.
7. I will stop admiring beautiful women. Huh? Why should I do that? It's not like I'm
sleeping with them...only the one I'm married to. Oh, so the point is "I will only
admire my wife". Well, yes, of course, my wife is the only woman I admire in any
romantic sort of way... she is beautiful, by the way,...I seem to have lost my train
of thought on this one...let's try again.
7. I will learn to do Purna Matsyendrasana the way it is described in L.O.Y., instead
of substituting Ardha Matsyendrasana III.
8. I will try to make the world a better place.

That's eight. An eight-fold path for me.
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-02 10:26 PM (#13165 - in reply to #13157)

Afroyogi , Wow its great !!!!!!!!!

It’s a waste that No 1 and 12 are duplicated., Instead you should have added something like

12. I will learn a lot from wiser people in this world and I will be open to others ideas and thoughts without accusing them falsely

I m sure you will achieve all your goals next year..

In fact No 4 will be bit difficult for you

All the best!

Edited by Thushara 2004-12-02 10:28 PM
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-02 10:55 PM (#13166 - in reply to #13165)

I would like to keep my goals and plans to myself. It’s mostly related to my family, people whom I love the most, my studies, my profession and of course Yoga. I want to have my own Yoga site too
LoraB
Posted 2004-12-03 12:53 AM (#13167 - in reply to #13157)

Well, I prefer to take on this task for my birthday, rather than the conventional new year. That was back in August, but here's what I had:

1. Work myself harder and expect more than I ever have before - without attaching to the outcomes, of course! (check)
2. Do something every day that scares the **** out of me. (pretty much check)
3. Let go of the relationship that was dragging me down. (check)
4. Go back and really dive into myself and look at how my own decisions had affected said relationship. (check)
5. Stay firm to commitment to practice yoga asana at least 2 times a week if not 4, and yoga philosophy when not in class and/or not able to get to class. (mostly check)
6. Let my karma kick me in the butt when necessary and help me when well-deserved. (check and check).
7. Get into and stay in headstand. (yeah, not so much...)
8. Remember to pay the bills on time. (again, not so much)
9. Learn to accept that the will of the world may clash with the will of Lora and sometimes it's best to concede, let things happen as they will, and allow myself to be ok with whatever happens. (getting there)

So, in other words, I've got another 8 months, and I'm on the right track. We'll have to see how headstand goes.

Posted 2004-12-03 10:37 AM (#13174 - in reply to #13167)

Predictions for 2005:

1.YogaDancer and Kulkarnn will collaborate on THE definitive book of all things yoga (I’ll write the forward)

2.Afroyogi will be honored by U.S. President George Bush for his indefatigable efforts on the European and African continents to further the U.S. strategy to take over the world.

3.Itchytummy will change her screen name to something that will not cause people to feel compelled rub their bellys…or hers the little tease.

4.Bay Guy will give up on people butchering his screen name and swap names with Yoga Guy who really wants to be Bat Guy so when Crunch calls, he can don the guise of the Caped Crusader and dazzle the gym’s “A-Type” personalities.

5.LoraB will invite us all to her graduation…wait… these predications are for 2005, not 2006, 2007….
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-12-03 10:50 AM (#13176 - in reply to #13157)

Well, wishing you happy new year 2005. I mean keep happy face inspite of all those resolutions and predictions, and also the actual happenings.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
LoraB
Posted 2004-12-03 11:03 AM (#13177 - in reply to #13157)

At first when I read that, Bruce, it sounds like I'm never going to graduate! But, in the yoga spirit I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume (making an a@$ out of at least one of us) that you meant that last comment about all of your predictions!

I AM going to graduate, I AM going to graduate. I have to keep telling myself that! It's only 1 year from this month! Only 3 more semesters! And when it's done, I will try and post images of the yoga studio I designed this semester. The first floor plan refernces the symbol for om.

Posted 2004-12-03 1:17 PM (#13183 - in reply to #13177)

You know I was just funning you Missy Lora--and you know, the trite but true adage of the grass always being greener...ENJOY that time while in school--it can be ugly out here...carpe diem.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-03 1:39 PM (#13189 - in reply to #13157)

>> 2.Afroyogi will be honored by U.S. President George Bush for his indefatigable efforts on the European and African continents to further the U.S. strategy to take over the world. <<

Why? He must not make a mistake and misunderestimate me! I'm german, so I'm already working on my own plan for world domination, har har

>> It's only 1 year from this month! Only 3 more semesters! <<

Lora, I sure hope it's not your intention to graduate in something that requires logical thinking or mathematics

HINT: Last time I checked 2 semesters made 1 year. Or do american universities use a different calendar? 1 year = 18 months?

Edited by afroyogi 2004-12-03 1:45 PM
LoraB
Posted 2004-12-03 2:02 PM (#13190 - in reply to #13157)

I've always been accused of working on Lora Standard Time.

But in this case, I'm actually right on! See, there's spring semester from January to the last week of April, 2 wk break, Summer Semester from the 2nd week of May until the middle of August, 2 wk break, and then Fall Semester from the first week of September until about a week before Christmas.

I definitely enjoy being in school - rolling out of bed 5 minutes before I have to leave to get there, wearing sweats (cute ones of course) if I want, eating breakfast in class.....But when I get out there's more time for yoga! The 1902347109356 hours I spend working on rendering programs for class can much be better spent getting into that darn headstand!
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-03 5:35 PM (#13195 - in reply to #13190)

I don't wanna be picky, Lora, but wouldn't that be TRIMESTER then?

See, in germany the universities and colleges are splitting the year in half, there's the summer semester and the winter semester. Schools which are doing the threesome, like in America, are actually calling the school terms trimesters. It's quite unusual though.

Posted 2004-12-03 6:15 PM (#13197 - in reply to #13195)

Stefan, I think I can speak for most of us American males, we like the idea of threesomes--more power to trimesters!
LoraB
Posted 2004-12-03 7:42 PM (#13199 - in reply to #13157)

We do have trimesters here, but I think it's more like the quarter system (oh dear god where are we going with this). Since the summer semester is not required of me, it's considered a semester system at my school...Other schools set it up differently.

Bruce, what are we going to do with you? ::sigh::
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-04 9:55 PM (#13217 - in reply to #13199)

Expert Yogi

Speaking of slipping in bandhas and kriyas during your daily activities,
I found myself sitting in a tremendously dull presentation last week. Envision
Powerpoint with tiny little unreadable labels on the figures in a semidark room,
while you wonder how the guy's supervisor could have had him waste so much
time on such a project. I finally leaned forward in my seat and worked
on Uddiyana Bandha and Nauli Kriya (being careful not to hold my breath too
long...wouldn't want to gasp when the speaker announced another startlingly obvious
finding). It's remarkable what you can hide under a dress shirt.

And doing my yoga during the presentation helped me control the overwhelming
impulse to lay into the supervisor for such stupidity, although I'm afraid that
it did not improve my opinion of the work.

LoraB
Posted 2004-12-04 10:02 PM (#13218 - in reply to #13157)

Oh good! I thought I was the only one who found bhandas to be a cure for boredom. Many times in class I find myself working on mula and uddiyana bhanda. Jhandalahara's a little tougher to pull off without getting a strange glance or two, but it can be nice when the lights are out and the teacher's showing us some crazy AutoCAD trick on the main screen.
tourist
Posted 2004-12-05 11:39 AM (#13227 - in reply to #13217)

Expert Yogi

Did I post something here about the bandhas? I thought i did and now it is nowhere to be found... This is one of those "is it the site having problems or am I losing my mind?" questions
LoraB
Posted 2004-12-05 3:04 PM (#13229 - in reply to #13157)

Well, if you didn't post it we've somehow tapped into the collective consciousness! I know you did - you had a nice pair of trousers with snaps!

....right?
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-05 4:00 PM (#13232 - in reply to #13227)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2004-12-05 11:39 AM

Did I post something here about the bandhas? I thought i did and now it is nowhere to be found... This is one of those "is it the site having problems or am I losing my mind?" questions

Yes, you definitely had a post about using the bandhas while bending over to keep
your trousers from popping open. My post above was a response to it. Something
is strange on the site...
tourist
Posted 2004-12-06 9:57 AM (#13266 - in reply to #13232)

Expert Yogi

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. So I'm not crazy - yet I have been trying to figure out what I had said that might offend a human censor (not likely) or a virtual censor (highly likely) but usually they just delete a word or send a message that it can't be posted. Ghost in the Machine, eh?
itchytummy
Posted 2004-12-06 11:14 AM (#13276 - in reply to #13266)

I read your post about bandhas too. Something funny happened to me to with this site as well. I put up a post about "Why do some people think yoga instructors are rich?" and after only a day it was frozen. I couldn't figure out what happened and tried to find out, but still have no idea why. Also, I put up a laugh out loud icon in response to someone's funny post and I found that deleted the next day too. Yup, from personal experience, I know things sometimes can get funny here. Maybe this site is haunted. Booga booga booga!

Posted 2004-12-06 2:57 PM (#13283 - in reply to #13276)

I don't know gang--the site has several owners and they're the only ones who can freeze threads. As for altering particular posts, Lora and I can but I don't know why we would unsolicited, i.e., I've had emails asking me to delete repeated posts. Minor glitches though, I imagine that can be expected, things like the emoticons not appearing or disappearing. Now I know on occasion, after I post, the next page to appear may say 401 error or some such so there could just be server problems.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-07 7:12 PM (#13348 - in reply to #13283)

Expert Yogi

Anyway, despite the loss of Tourist's interesting post, is anybody else
slipping yoga into their routines when nobody's watching?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)