YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stealth shots of studio
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-07 3:57 PM (#13326)
Subject: Stealth shots of studio

Hiya!
Today when we entered the class training room, like always I took my sweater jacket out of my gym bag and guess what I found sitting there, burried between towel, t-shirt and shower gel? Yup, my crappy digicam that I probably forgot there some time ago. So I used the opportunity and took two quick pics of the premises. Well, that's what yoga in a gym looks like. Nice elastic wooden floor but no usable space at the walls for starters inversions. Also (not shown in pic) the air-con is much too cold!
I'm always interested to see and hear under what conditions you guys are practicing. So, if you don't mind (and the bandwith of this site is not affected too badly), please send pics for comparison. Hey this might be fun ...

(DSCI0008.JPG)

(DSCI0009.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCI0008.JPG (70KB - 68 downloads)
Attachments DSCI0009.JPG (90KB - 67 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LoraB
Posted 2004-12-07 4:51 PM (#13327 - in reply to #13326)
Subject: RE: Stealth shots of studio

Reminds me a bit of the first gym I went to here that had yoga (the one that got me hooked). This room was actually set up specifically for yoga/pilates though, so it was a bit less crowded than yours. The gym I'm at now, though...Blah. Nasty ol' carpet, partial height wall looking out into the weight room, stacks of dumbbells and fitness balls. Not so great - but the teachers are nice.

I'll try and get some pics of the studio I'm designing up on here once I'm done (only a week!). It's just the retail area/juice bar, and a study area that I've had to render, but maybe as I have spare time throughout the rest of school I"ll finish it up and put an animation/walk-through to it for my portfolio. But my teacher says what I have so far is great! Bamboo flooring and millwork, 100% recycled glass tiles, and the floor plan even references the symbol for Om!
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-07 6:17 PM (#13332 - in reply to #13326)

Crowded? With x-mas coming up everybody's off for the holidays, we were only 7 people in a 250 sqm room today. Also the room in this gym too is especially designed for all stuff aerobics, pilates, jazzercice, Tai Chi, kick-box and all that. At least the windows giving us a very romantic view onto the parking lot, the other side would have a nice view on the mountain range but there are no windows
The body builders, treadmill and pool area are one storey below us. We're having the spinning room right next door though, so there's a lot of techno music umphta going on all the time The training rooms in other gyms I visit frequently are partly nicer, but today was the first time I had a camera with me by incident.

Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-07 6:56 PM (#13343 - in reply to #13332)

Expert Yogi

I used to practice in a studio that was above a dance studio, so we
heard all their music. It's hard for me to say which was the worst:
the Irish Step Dancing; the Walt-Disney-like ballroom music; or
the pop-tunes they'd put on for teenagers preparing for the Middle-School
prom. We'd get into Savasana and they'd be blasting some awful things.

I felt old when it was "Stayin' Alive" and I actually liked it.
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-07 8:49 PM (#13351 - in reply to #13343)

I started in a dance studio - barre along one wall (great for chest/shoulder openners) and semi flexible plywood painted floor.

Moved to a gym that taught kick boxing and capoiera (sp) so it had 6 ins of cushionning on the floor - not great for balance poses!

That class moved to the aerobics room of a brandnew community center - special really strong mirrors on all walls, and a fab wood floor w/ a gymnasium finish... oh what a room!

I take Ashtanga in a studio (stefan there are pics at www.redpearlyoga.com) that overlooks a waterway so the tropical (and it's still 80 here in Miami) breezes blow in the windows. The walls are painted the most gorgeous shade of dark red - there's a HUGE silver leaf mural of a cherry tree. Pergo floor is very cushy and the Kula is amazing - no one lacks a sense of humor, but no one is showing pictures of their ski vacation while the instructor is talking, either... I'm hoping my friend starts his new class at this studio so I can join on a yearly basis!
tourist
Posted 2004-12-07 10:00 PM (#13353 - in reply to #13351)

Expert Yogi

Melissa - my favourite part of the website is the pile of shoes at the bottom of the headings If it had more Birkenstocks and Tevas it would be a west coast studio
tourist
Posted 2004-12-07 10:17 PM (#13354 - in reply to #13326)

Expert Yogi

Great floor, though Stefan! I think I could find a way to use those walls with the barres for inversions. We used to have a space where there were Cub scouts (8 - 10 year old boys) playing indoor soccer and basketball all evening. Teaches a lot about cultivating inner peace.

Edited by tourist 2004-12-07 10:26 PM
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-07 10:44 PM (#13357 - in reply to #13326)

afroyogi - 2004-12-08 2:57 AM
the air-con is much too cold!

You do yoga in a room with Air con on?
The both studios I went in they off aircons of the hall and open all the windows and doors for yoga sessions. You practice with aircons on ??Is this due to weather conditions in your country? or is this the normal practice? I thought and I have read in many books that Yoga should be practiced in a place where you have natural room temperature. It has many scientific reasons too.

Please correct me if Im wrong I’m very curious on this.
Orbilia
Posted 2004-12-08 5:45 AM (#13361 - in reply to #13357)

My classes are held in a Quaker Meeting Hall that's probably somewhere between 50 and 100 years old. High, white plaster ceilings, wooden pews either end, and a short-pile beige carpet. It's full of light and the acoustics are perfect for chanting - the whole room vibrates

This time of year we practise to the creaks, groans, bangs and whistles of the many electric heaters installed down the sides. There are plenty of chairs and cushions when needed but not much wall space.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2004-12-08 5:47 AM
naturally
Posted 2004-12-08 9:32 AM (#13366 - in reply to #13326)

I practice at the YMCA, and while the floors are ok, soft wood, and has two full walls of mirrors everything else pretty much sucks. It has cinder block walls painted the most obnoxious shade of lime candy green. On the other side of one wall is the family activity room, packed with pool tables and a rock wall, so tends to be rather noisy. Another wall separates from the gymnasium where there tends to be a rowdy basketball game going on. And since this the main room used for group exercise, and the class right before yoga is step aerobics, they tend to keep the air conditioner set around 65 degree fahrenheit. Sometimes it's even colder. The yoga instructor always turns it up, but it takes a lot of time to warm the room and it never really gets up to more than 70 degrees before the class ends. But I figure all this just gives me extra opportunity to work on my focusing. Most the time I can ignore the noise and cold, but sometimes the basketballs will slam into the door causing them to burst open. Kinda hard to ignore that one! Still, it's the best(only) thing currently available here, so I guess it's better than nothing.

Sounds like some of ya'll have ideal settings compared to what I'm used to!
Be Well
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-08 9:43 AM (#13369 - in reply to #13361)

Orbilia, are you in RI? I wish we lived near a Quaker community w/ a school for my DD. While we aren't Quaker, I love their schools!

Plus, the simplicity of the meeting halls is so lovely.... the one in downtown Newport is one of my faves.

Oh, Orb, I just read your location - guess it's not New England!

Tourist - I love the Red Pearl studio - that pile of shoes is just like the studio.... except the studio is very neat and clean

Edited by Gruvemom 2004-12-08 9:45 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2004-12-08 11:34 AM (#13381 - in reply to #13366)

I know what you mean, only in my case, it's the sound of the homeless outside as the Quakers run a kitchen for them that overlaps the first half of the course!

Fee
Orbilia
Posted 2004-12-08 11:36 AM (#13382 - in reply to #13369)

*gggg* Noooooo, it's the old country. I'm about 30 minutes west of London as the crow flies. Just follow the river Thames on a UK map until you reach Reading (pronounced Red-ding). I agree about the simplicity thing.

Fee

Gruvemom - 2004-12-08 2:43 PM

Orbilia, are you in RI? I wish we lived near a Quaker community w/ a school for my DD. While we aren't Quaker, I love their schools!

Plus, the simplicity of the meeting halls is so lovely.... the one in downtown Newport is one of my faves.

Oh, Orb, I just read your location - guess it's not New England!

Tourist - I love the Red Pearl studio - that pile of shoes is just like the studio.... except the studio is very neat and clean
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-08 12:54 PM (#13386 - in reply to #13382)

I'm about 30 minutes west of London<<

Note to self: Bring mat on next trip to London!
nataraj
Posted 2004-12-08 2:07 PM (#13387 - in reply to #13326)

Hello!

Im new, although I have commented on a few posts. I thought this was a good time to chime in because I am from RI and I know the spot you speak of (in Newport).
I have been practicing for a few or more years and I am an instructor.
I have enjoyed classes in gyms and some very beautiful studios....anywhere I can practice or share in the connection, is a good place to be.

-n
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-08 3:17 PM (#13390 - in reply to #13326)

>> You do yoga in a room with Air con on? <<

See, air-conditioning is a complicated business, it affects the whole gym and once turned down it takes forever before you gain any results. Also the room we use is multi-purpose so sometimes the class before yoga is steppers or kick-box. Then the room really smells like a puma cage and you're grateful for some clima-control. And when our teacher turned the air-con off the other day we ended with a big puddle of melted water in the spinning room. Since then the clubs management have banned everybody related with yoga from fiddling around with the air-con
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-08 10:43 PM (#13403 - in reply to #13390)

I see your point.

Last night I was digging my books to find more about it,. I wanted to find what Krishna told Arjuna about the Air con

I just found some instruction of the place where you should practice yoga in Bhagawad Geetha under Ashtanga chapter. Though it may not be the most practical thing to do today I just thought of typing it here; It says

“To practice yoga one should go to a secluded place and should lay grass on the ground and then cover it with a soft cloth. The seat should be neither too high nor too low and should be situated in a sacred place (to avoid disturbances). The yogi should sit on it very firmly and practice yoga to purify the heart by controlling the mind, senses and activities and fixing the mind on one point “

But in many sites I found that they recommend places with natural ventilation for yoga practice.
Orbilia
Posted 2004-12-09 7:38 AM (#13407 - in reply to #13386)

I'm sure I've one you could borrow.... after all, you're going to need plenty of spare capacity in your suitcase for all your new purchases

Fee

Gruvemom - 2004-12-08 5:54 PM

I'm about 30 minutes west of London<<

Note to self: Bring mat on next trip to London!
sirensong2
Posted 2004-12-09 6:08 PM (#13432 - in reply to #13390)

"ce then the clubs management have banned everybody related with yoga from fiddling around with the air-con "

in my gym they recently banned EVERYONE from messing w/ the aircon- theres a big red angry piece of paper over it . i wonder if it's easier to just make one room w/ an independant heating/ventilation system....
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-12 10:48 AM (#13533 - in reply to #13432)

Expert Yogi

When I did Bikram yoga, there were incessant disagreements about
whether the studio was too hot or too cold. One woman in particular
was constantly throwing fits when people would ask the teachers to
kill the heaters. Others would position themselves near doors and remove
the towels that were supposed to block the draft from coming in.
For some people, it was as much a control issue as a matter of whether
the room was actually too hot or too cold: they simply wanted to be the
one who got to decide whether is was too hot or too cold.

These dynamics made things hard for the teachers, and they tended to
create an aura of tension in the room. I find that styles of yoga which
don't involve the heat (and in which nobody is making you feel like you
can't stop and catch your breath) tend to have much less tension in the
room. People seem to get along better when they aren't dealing with
other stresses on top of their yoga practice.
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-12 1:36 PM (#13541 - in reply to #13533)

Thanks, Orbilia~! What with all of your fabulous cashmere over there, you may have a point - the fact that it doesn't actually keep one warm is a non issue since I live in Miami - I promise not to leave the mat smelling "corn chippy"

OTOH, I could just buy a whole new bag!

Edited by Gruvemom 2004-12-12 1:36 PM
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-12 4:14 PM (#13546 - in reply to #13326)

Careful, Melissa! The UK isn't a cheap place for shopping anymore. In the old times (before Euro) we went quite often to London over the weekend for a little shopping spree, nowadays it's not affordable anymore.
Orbilia
Posted 2004-12-13 8:56 AM (#13573 - in reply to #13541)

*gggg* I'm not too proud to pass you the rug cleaner *gggggggggggg*

True, at the pound now equal to 2 US dollars, it's cheaper for me to go state-side than for you guys to come over relatively speaking.

Still, since when did exchange rates come into it retail-therepywise?! *spots all the hitched guys in the room clutch their plastic protectively*.

London's always dear due to the incredible land rates. In fact, south-west England is pricey. Other parts of the UK can be amazingly cheap and just as interesting by comparison though.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2004-12-13 8:56 AM
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-13 4:30 PM (#13587 - in reply to #13573)

Orbilia - 2004-12-13 2:56 PM

Other parts of the UK can be amazingly cheap and just as interesting by comparison though.

Fee

Oh well, I can hardly wait for my next very posh shopping spree to the scottish highlands
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-13 9:21 PM (#13595 - in reply to #13587)

Expert Yogi

You can load up on discounted jars of Haggis.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)