YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Favorite ashtanga books?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Belandrew
Posted 2004-12-10 12:13 AM (#13463)
Subject: Favorite ashtanga books?

I'm looking to begin slowly building my yoga library, so I'm wondering what everyone's favorite ashtanga related books are. I'm currently thinking of getting David Swenson's manual to give me a good reference while I'm practicing at home and then Light on Yoga to help me further refine my poses, even though it's not Ashtanga specific, and learn more about their benefits/contraindications (not sure if Swenson discusses the latter).

What are the books you've found most helpful to your ashtanga and why?

Andrew
Top of the page Bottom of the page
flipcat
Posted 2004-12-10 11:00 AM (#13472 - in reply to #13463)
Subject: RE: Favorite ashtanga books?

IMHO, Anatomy of Hatha Yoga is a great book. I like it because I am a biologist and it carefully and accurately weaves the how's and why's of hatha yoga practice with western biological science. I like it because it is looking at the postures from a plain logical and scientific perspective. Although I generally like reading and learning about yoga from a more ancient or etherial wisdom perspective, it is nice to look at it from a different angle too. Plus, I am a science geek.
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-12 1:41 PM (#13542 - in reply to #13472)

I second your impulse to get the David Swenson book - he also offers modifications of different poses, based on your abilities.... I love the book
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-12 7:19 PM (#13550 - in reply to #13542)

Expert Yogi

I like the Swenson book. It has a format (spiral binding with big photos) that
makes it easy to keep open for reference when practicing.

I worship Light on Yoga, on the other hand. Wonderful, comprehensive,
knowledgable...who else will accurately tell you that "at first, you are likely to sit
down with a hard bump" when describing a pose.
redtail
Posted 2004-12-13 8:24 AM (#13572 - in reply to #13463)

I also recommend the Swenson book for the same reasons as everyone else. It is nicely bound (easy spiral binding) and has the wonderful pose modifications that can help get you in to the pose to begin with. I also like his preface material. The bandhas, ujjiya breathing (yogic breathing), and focal points (drishti) are nicely and simply described for beginners and those with more practice under the belt too.

Namaste
Belandrew
Posted 2004-12-14 3:17 PM (#13631 - in reply to #13463)

Thanks for your opinions. I guess my original ideas were good ones. Swenson's manual is on its way since getting a reference for while I practice is my first priority and it seems none of you like anything else for that role. I'll definitely pick up Light on Yoga next for its additional advice, since it sounds like it has good, practical advice on poses ("likely to sit down with a hard bump" ).

Anatomy of Hatha Yoga sounds interesting and I'll look into that much farther down the road. My attitude is that the practice comes first so my first book choices are to help there and the theory behind it can come later.

Namaste
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)