YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Motivation...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Posted 2004-12-17 7:34 PM (#13808 - in reply to #13807)
Subject: RE: Motivation...

I love it when Glenda speaks French.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-17 7:38 PM (#13811 - in reply to #13808)

Expert Yogi

French has a much sexier ring than Sanskrit, that's for sure.

Posted 2004-12-17 7:40 PM (#13813 - in reply to #13811)

Mais oui mon ami.
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-21 8:31 AM (#13878 - in reply to #13807)

tourist - 2004-12-18 6:32 AM

Good lists although I would suspect more studios of wanting to convert to Hinduism than Buddhism, n'est ce pas?

I don’t understand Mr.D's point at all Why do they do this?? Yoga has nothing to do with Buddhism. I think we all know that. Tourist Any idea you got why ? Im interested to know. I dont see much Buddhist yoga teachers. Majority of Indians are Hindus and not Buddhists. How is this possible? Or have they mixed up with Hinduism and Buddhism?

Edited by Thushara 2004-12-21 8:35 AM
tourist
Posted 2004-12-21 9:44 AM (#13879 - in reply to #13878)

Expert Yogi

I think he was confusing Hinduism and Buddhism.

It was a small joke on may part, une petite blague, if you will.
MrD
Posted 2004-12-21 12:20 PM (#13883 - in reply to #13552)

Not really.

I mention Buddism rather than Hinduism because the people I've known who are leaning to an Eastern Religion tend towards Buddism. Anusara Yoga follows Tantric philosophies which were rejected by Hindus, and accepted by Buddists. It's one of the most popular yogas today.

Of those I've known doing yoga who also are interested in Eastern Religions seem to gravitate to Buddism. The Dali Lama is their most influential figure. He's Buddist. Let's also be honest, the Cast issue may also tend to keep Westerners away. (I have friends who are East Indians, and cast is still very real to them.)

For me the answer to a yoga studio who does that is easy. I really enjoying hearing yoga philosophy, regardless of whether I agree or not. My favorite teachers always read quotes from yoga books at the start of Savasana. Philosophy Yes. Religion No. Fortunately for me there's only one religious studio in the area, and that's only with certain classes.

Edited by MrD 2004-12-21 12:40 PM
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-21 12:50 PM (#13884 - in reply to #13552)

Guys, I think it doesn't matter since no yoga studios are "fronts for conversion to Buddism". Neither buddhism nor hinduism are missionary religions. You can even practice yoga in an ashram, without being bothered. I remember, when I took the free meditation for beginners course in our ashram, there was a little altar with lots of object on it that you could use for meditating on them. There were little Buddha plastics, some Krishna figurines, photos of famous swamis, some ghee lanterns, some muslim stuff and also some crosses and Jesus and Mary figures. The hindus are very tolerant about different religions, so you mustn't worry about being converted to something. Anyways, if you feel that the christian believe is very strong in you, than no other religion will stand a chance to get you converted, right?
Me, I'm not religious at all but should somebody force me to choose one it would most probably be hinduism or buddhism. But first I would have to study all that stuff very very thoroughly...
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-12-21 2:23 PM (#13888 - in reply to #13552)

Dear Afroyogi:
There is a technical mistake in the statement, which you meant very well with: Hindus are tolerant of different religions. Correction: Hinduism automatically incorporates all religions because it is pantheist. Please see the comments under Christianity.

Dear MrD: What is more popular is not important. Also, what suits one's psychology such as lack of castism, shall lead them only to the end which is offered by any particular method. Castism in Hinudism is actuall very divine in Original Form. It is not based on birth. Later it got corrupted due to social power issues. This is same as Social Power using financial status in the Capatilistic world today. To become rich by one's hard labor is one thing (which is divine), but to become reach by slavary/exploitation/cheating/mal-advertising/corruption is another thing. Same happened in the Caste system at one time. However, if one wants to learn the final truth in Spirituality one can not avoid turning towards Advaita Vedanta. And, this includes the most respected Dalai Lama. You can confirm my statement with the respected Dalai Lama himself, directly.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
LoraB
Posted 2004-12-21 3:22 PM (#13889 - in reply to #13552)

I'll give the Dalai Lama a call tonight, as a matter of fact!
itchytummy
Posted 2004-12-21 7:48 PM (#13896 - in reply to #13889)

Tibet here I come! Oh wait, shouldn't that be Dharamsala?
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-22 12:02 AM (#13907 - in reply to #13896)

I still cant understand Mr.D

Simply what Buddha says is........" Hey listen and think.. This is the logic I found, If you can understand this logic by yourself, implement it. Otherwise go and fly a kite".

It doesn’t brainwash or force anybody to do anything. So don’t be afraid of it. Like afroyogi said., Don’t be bothered about it. Leave those aside and you do your things in the Studio.

In the same time., when people start to think out of the box, you cant stop them exploring other philosophies which they think more logical, no matter whether its from east or west..It might be clashing with the beliefs you have., But you got to accept it. . You may understand it or you may not. If you don’t understand its better to leave it , Complaining about something which you don’t understand can cause a bigger damages. Don’t forget that great philosophers like Aristotle were killed due to people’s disbelief.

If you think that people try to understand some other religions or philosophies instead of their own, You can’t blame on it either. Its upto them. But if somebody tries to convert others by force or for their benefits, then its tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad

---
Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. - Matrix

Edited by Thushara 2004-12-22 12:05 AM
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-22 12:23 AM (#13908 - in reply to #13889)

LoraB - 2004-12-22 2:22 AM

I'll give the Dalai Lama a call tonight, as a matter of fact!

Ooops Lora… I tried…No point.,

His phone system is automated .. it has a loooong menu , 1st it says.. if you speak in English press 1, for Sanskrit press 2 for Thai press 3………
When you select 1 It says.. If your question is related to meditation press 1, if the question is related to Karma press 2, if the question is related to Nirvana press 3 , … So on and it goes up to xxxxx.
And then when you select the option its directed to the call center in India and Kulkarrn comes on line., So you better ask him now itself in the forum… Same thing..
LoraB
Posted 2004-12-22 9:48 AM (#13918 - in reply to #13552)

Oh good, you got the same thing. I was afraid he had given me a fake number when we met in the pub last week! Guys can be so harsh sometimes.
tourist
Posted 2004-12-22 10:16 AM (#13922 - in reply to #13918)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn
Posted 2004-12-22 1:27 PM (#13928 - in reply to #13552)

that is really coooooooooool

coolkarni
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-23 1:06 AM (#13942 - in reply to #13928)

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)