YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Motivation...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

PantherShadow83
Posted 2004-12-12 7:53 PM (#13552)
Subject: Motivation...

Hi, I'm new here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong board.

How do you guys get motivated to do yoga? I really want to start, but sometimes I know I'll put it off, and I don't want that. It's nearing Winter Break, so at least I'll have a lot of time to do yoga, but does anyone have any suggestions for motivation??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gogirl58
Posted 2004-12-12 8:22 PM (#13554 - in reply to #13552)
Subject: RE: Motivation...

Extreme Veteran

first, I believe that you need to find the right yoga for you. Then you have to find
how many times are week is right for you. Then I would mark the calendar, so that I
get to class without a lot of thought about whether I should go or not.

But I believe in going a little bit slowly in the beginning. Maybe if you went to 5 or 6 classes over a month, you would get a feel for how your body is handling it. peggy
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-12 9:09 PM (#13557 - in reply to #13552)

Expert Yogi

My suggestion is to block out the times when you will do yoga in advance.
Today, pick the hour or so you will spend on it tomorrow. Then treat that
time commitment the same way you would treat the classes that you usually
attend (or better, if you are prone to cutting class). Just block the time completely,
don't answer the door or the phone, and do your yoga then.

I answered the phone during my practice tonight --- Oy Vey, it was my
mother-in-law! After enough conversation to be polite, I put her
grandson on the phone and went back to yoga. Usually, I just let the
answering machine pick-up!!
Gracie
Posted 2004-12-12 9:32 PM (#13559 - in reply to #13552)

Visualization works for me. How am I going to feel afterwards? Blissful! Clear minded! Happy! High as a kite! I don't know if you've tried yoga yet, but these are some feelings that get me there. At first I only went once a week, then I started realizing that I needed more. This was after a year practicing. I moved to two days, and I felt withdrawals. So now I try for 3x's plus a week. Remembering how I feel afterwards wordks for me, but it took a while to "get the feelling", so don't push yourself.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-12-12 10:13 PM (#13563 - in reply to #13552)

Dear PantherS...:

Suggestion: Do NOT eat anything unless you complete your Yoga Practice, each day, Happy Winter Break.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
PantherShadow83
Posted 2004-12-12 11:18 PM (#13566 - in reply to #13552)

First of all, sorry, I gave the wrong impression, I can't take classes, just do yoga I find online.

I usually get out of school at three, and I have baby-sitting on Thursday and Fridays till 6:30, so maybe before then.

Why not eat? (sorry, I'm a true beginner)

Also, any yoga to reccomend for a beginner who is very stressed (and thinks that she has a big butt... )

BTW, on a scale of one to ten with flexibility, I barely make a one! (seriously... )
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-13 3:52 PM (#13583 - in reply to #13552)

Howdy Panther,
1. first let me say don't worry about your flexibility. Yoga will help you become more flexible. If you would be flexible already where's the challenge? Nobody of us was born in perfect lotus position! Take it easy, just go into the poses as far as possible without pain. It's not about looking perfect but about the benefits you get from stretchhing and twisting. So inflexible people will get much more benefits in the beginning than people who are already bendy.
2. The eating issue: In yoga you're working not only your joints and muscles but your internal organs too. If your stomach is full you'll feel like vomitting soon. So, the rule by thump is no big meals 3-4 hours before practice. Drink lots of water but only in small sips. Try not to drink too much during practice.
3. Motivation: I don't know how to motivate you to get started but once you've absolved some practices you'll know if yoga is your thing or not. Should you like it motivation will come easy when you first notice the benefits on your body and mind.
Getting motivated without taking classes would be quite a difficult task for me, as I am a procrastinator. I always depend on the external pressure from my timetable: Calendar says yoga class today so I go! Don't think, just do it! Easy. Many people found it helpful to take their yoga practice as important as every other appointment. Doesn't matter if it's an important business meeting or "only" yoga. Just make sure that it's absolutely "Me-Time", plug out the telephone, don't answer the door, focus on your practice!
4. Now allow me please to recommend you to take at least a few classes in beginners yoga. With a teacher you'll learn things you'll never learn by just watching some video. Really!

Much luck with your start
PantherShadow83
Posted 2004-12-13 4:16 PM (#13585 - in reply to #13552)

Hmm... how much do yoga classes usually run? I don't know if I can get my parents to spring for it, so maybe I can use Christmas money... or ask for classes for Christmas!!

So they don't reccommend that you eat for a couple of hours before doing yoga... ugh, tht's gonna be hard!! You see, I get stressed easily, so I bite my nails. To stop biting my nails I snack on something small (I have fast metabolism... luckily!!). Hmm, maybe it'll help me to stop snacking??

One more thing: please, no one get offended by this, but I just need to be reassured... yoga is for clearing your mind and making yourself feel better, right? You see, I have this REALLY religious friend who thinks yoga and meditation are ways to go against God... I just need to be reassured that it isn't true...

Sorry if anyone got offended...
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-13 5:05 PM (#13588 - in reply to #13552)

Hello again,
first let's get that religious thing outta the way, shall we? Your friend is probably a christian, right? You'll hear these prejudices very often from that direction. But please believe me, even if yoga was invented by hindus or buddhists (I don't even know and quite frankly - I don't give a flying f**k) it is in itself non-religious. Indeed yoga is practiced by people from every religion. One of my teachers is a muslim for example. Most people here in SA are protestants or muslims and I've also seen jews in my class. In the western world yoga is mostly more seen as a very cool and hip gymnastic. Satan has no business with yoga! By the way, christian priests and monks are practicing meditation as well, they just call it contemplation. Different name - same thing! Just tell your friend he should get better informed before he's starting to judge things he knows nothing about. Or even better ask him if he thinks his believe is very strong if he fears to be drawn to satan just by practicing yoga

Having a little (!) snack, a chocolate bar or some muesli will not be a big problem before practice. Yoga is to be done on empty stomach but being really hungry will not help your strenght or staying focused either. In fact, I find myself quite often at the take-away that's so practical located right next to the studio

I don't have the slightest idea about class fees in your area. I know that many studios have special offers for beginners though. Just call around and ask for beginners classes in Iyengar or Anusara style. Many studios just call it "Hatha". Are you member in a gym or fitness/wellness club? They often have yoga classes in their program. These classes are good enough to give you a clue about proper breathing and alignment. If you are not afraid of satan, you could even check out the next hindu ashram if there is one in your town. They often offer yoga classes for little to no money. And contrary to the christians these guys don't try to recruit or missionary you as a new follower.

Edited by afroyogi 2004-12-13 5:06 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-13 9:30 PM (#13596 - in reply to #13588)

Expert Yogi

There's a long thread on yoga and Christianity in the "General Meditation" forum.
You might want to read that for additional commentary on the idea that yoga
is somehow "antichristian".
PantherShadow83
Posted 2004-12-13 9:50 PM (#13599 - in reply to #13552)

OK, thanks to all of you!!
tourist
Posted 2004-12-14 1:31 AM (#13605 - in reply to #13583)

Expert Yogi

>> Nobody of us was born in perfect lotus position! <<

OMG!!!!! Let us not even contemplate this thought. Those of us who have given birth can tesitfy that it is absolutely too frightening to imagine
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-14 8:47 AM (#13620 - in reply to #13605)

Expert Yogi

If you've ever watched the way a newborn baby moves his or her legs,
you would HAVE to conclude that we are all born in a state of yoga.
frog71_uk
Posted 2004-12-14 9:31 AM (#13621 - in reply to #13620)

Bay Guy - 2004-12-14 8:47 AM

If you've ever watched the way a newborn baby moves his or her legs,
you would HAVE to conclude that we are all born in a state of yoga.

That's a good point actually. Why is it that kids are really supple, then as we grow older, we tend to become less and less and actually need to practice it? I remember quite well being able to put my foot behind my neck when I was a kid, but there is no chance I can do that now. And also the teachers had us to the bridge in kindergarten, ditto can't do it anymore.
gogirl58
Posted 2004-12-14 10:05 AM (#13622 - in reply to #13552)

Extreme Veteran

About eating, I have found that I tolerate class more easily if I have something small within
the two hours before class. I really love to have a few handfulls of almonds. I also have had tea with milk and sugar and it helps me to tolerate class. Everyone's different. Experiment. peggy
amleu
Posted 2004-12-14 5:31 PM (#13635 - in reply to #13585)

Look into Gold's gym. I have a membership for $22 and I take yoga classes at the gym. As far as motivation, I attend class which keeps me going.
PantherShadow83
Posted 2004-12-14 5:52 PM (#13637 - in reply to #13552)

amleu: How long are the classes usually?
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-15 3:53 PM (#13676 - in reply to #13552)

Sorry I'm not amleu, but I can tell you that classes, no matter if in gym or proper studio, usually are 75 minutes. Like 60 minutes of asana practice + roundabout 15 minutes for pranayama and relaxation. That's for the typically beginners "hatha" class, maybe advanced classes in different styles are shorter or longer but those you won't find in a gym.
PantherShadow83
Posted 2004-12-15 6:08 PM (#13685 - in reply to #13552)

asana practice + roundabout 15 minutes for pranayama

Sorry for being stupid...O_o... but what's asana and pranayama?
Belandrew
Posted 2004-12-15 6:53 PM (#13689 - in reply to #13552)

Briefly, asana are the yoga poses and pranayama is controlled breathing.
PantherShadow83
Posted 2004-12-15 8:46 PM (#13691 - in reply to #13552)

OK, that makes sense...

Ugh, my mom doesn't think that taking yoga lessons will do anything more than watching the videos... *rolls eyes*
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-16 6:18 PM (#13749 - in reply to #13552)

Hm, Panther I don't know if your videos are any good, in fact I've never seen any video so I don't no jack about that stuff. So I shall not ***** about the quality of videos. But nevertheless I wonder:
- Do they show you how to breathe during the poses?
- Do they show you how to prepare for practice?
- Do they show you in detail what to look out for in terms of body alignment?
- Do they give you any hints how to get deeper into asana?
- Does the teacher on video actually step out of your TV and give you corrections?

Just some arguments you can use should your mom question the need of a proper yoga course again
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-16 10:08 PM (#13768 - in reply to #13691)

PantherShadow83 - 2004-12-16 7:46 AM

OK, that makes sense...

Ugh, my mom doesn't think that taking yoga lessons will do anything more than watching the videos... *rolls eyes*

Study and see….. If you think it’s right to do continue it. If you think yoga will make harm to you or no use of it, then don’t do it.

---
Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. - Matrix
MrD
Posted 2004-12-17 12:59 PM (#13796 - in reply to #13552)

I do yoga at Gold's gym at least 2 times a week as well as various studios.

Here are the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Gym.

1. As many classes as you want for the same price.
2. Usually a huge variety of teachers, Golds allows going to different gyms.
3. You will be with a fair number of other beginners.
4. You can get very experienced teachers who come from studios.
5. Classes are held at convenient times, often later in the evening.
6. It will not get into yoga philosophy.

1. A lot of teachers are just beginning to teach.
2. Repetiton
3. Much of the classes stay at the beginner level (more of a problem once you have experience)
4. Oh the noise, the noise, THE NOISE. (appologies to DR Seuss)
5. Larger classes don't allow for personal adjustment.
6. Classes are shorter
7. incomplete workouts, usually floor exercises and relaxation are seriously compromised.

Studio.

1. More intimate setting.
2. Personal attention better teaching of modifications
3. Quicker advancement
4. Much more experienced teachers
5. Will also do mediation and pranayama classes
6. Setting free of distractions
7. More varied workouts Often can choose from radically different types.
8. More challenging.
9. Complete workouts that leave you feeling more balanced when leaving.

1. Have to pay every time.
2. Hours may not be as convenient
3. Some studios seem to be fronts for conversion to Buddism.

Edited by MrD 2004-12-17 1:02 PM
tourist
Posted 2004-12-17 7:32 PM (#13807 - in reply to #13796)

Expert Yogi

Good lists although I would suspect more studios of wanting to convert to Hinduism than Buddhism, n'est ce pas?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)