YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Non Funky Mat Bag
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-26 7:35 PM (#14008)
Subject: Non Funky Mat Bag

Hey, here's a question for anyone w/ a large mat bag - how does one keep it from getting "corn chippy" smelling? I know, hang the mats out after class, etc, but has anyone tried anything - lavender sachets, cedar blocks, etc - to keep the moisture and funk at bay?

DH just gave me a rockin' pink and black mat bag (all my "equipage" in one bag! yay) from www.wishingfish.com ($64.00 on sale) and I'd like to keep it pretty and sweet~

Just curious what everyone else does..

melissa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Avongoddess215
Posted 2004-12-26 7:57 PM (#14011 - in reply to #14008)
Subject: RE: Non Funky Mat Bag

Have you tried Febreeze? I don't know if I spelled that right, but I know you know what I'm talking about
tourist
Posted 2004-12-27 12:42 AM (#14020 - in reply to #14008)

Expert Yogi

Febreeze is great. It works quite well on DH's disgusting paddling gear, although it really works better if he would WASH it

For a mat bag I would think if you used it only for transport and not storage, it would be ok. I say that but I know darn well I often leave my dance shoes in their bag from class to class...
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-28 1:37 PM (#14070 - in reply to #14008)

Thanks for the responses... didn't think of Febreeze, but will keep it in mind.... meanwhile, I'm definitely putting a couple of silica packets in the bag (they come w/ shoes, dontcha know) and a cedar block... hoping that will help
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-28 5:03 PM (#14074 - in reply to #14008)

Melissa, silica gel basically works like salt, it sucks up the humidity. Please correct me but I doubt that it will help with the smell though

Posted 2004-12-28 7:19 PM (#14082 - in reply to #14074)

I spray my mats off with the garden hose after class and hang over a deck railing to dry--works well but you need several mats to rotate in case your wet one doesn't dry sufficiently before it's needed again.
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-29 12:30 PM (#14098 - in reply to #14074)

thanks Afroyogi... yes, the silica will suck up the moisture which, combined with the inherent humidity in S Florida, leads to mold and mildew and smell. Reduce the moisture and kill the smell.

Mostly I'm thinking that my bag should be a "travel" bag and not a storage bag.... or, I can just leave it open all the time.

Edited by Gruvemom 2004-12-29 12:30 PM
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-29 12:38 PM (#14099 - in reply to #14082)

Bruce, would you believe that I actually throw my mats in the washing machine? I don't know if we've had that discussion here or elsewhere.... it usually takes a day for my thinner mat to dry and several days for my thicker (1/4") mat.
Do you use Manduka/ Black mats? My friends leave their heavy mats out in the rain and/or hose them off and they dry pretty quickly.... but I don't want to lug those around...

I do keep my mats clean and stuff but there has been one or two occasions that I've forgotten to hang them out after class....

Posted 2004-12-29 12:54 PM (#14100 - in reply to #14099)

I have several different mats--the big ole madura does take forever to dry. I just got one of those hugger-mugger combined mat towel and I LOVE it--washes like a towel, dries quickly and is great in class--Bikram of viyasa ashtanga--in absorbing moisture while maintaining traction.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)