YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Its so sad
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Thushara
Posted 2004-12-26 10:15 PM (#14013)
Subject: Its so sad

Hi All,

Hi All,

It’s a very sad situation in my country. Lots of people lost their lives, families, loved ones due to yesterday’s catastrophe., My 2 coleques have lost their parents too. It was just like day after tomorrow. They have found 5000 bodies only in Sri Lanka including locals and tourists.(There were Local reports) 1000s are missing and no hope for them. We all are trying our best to help people who are affected. In most of the areas Tidal waves has exceeded 10 feet height.

Edited by Thushara 2004-12-26 10:27 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
easternsun
Posted 2004-12-26 11:29 PM (#14015 - in reply to #14013)
Subject: RE: Its so sad

Thushara:

i have been thinking of you since we first heard the news last night. i am glad to hear that you are ok. my thoughts are with you.

to the other readers of this forum:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11790525%255E1702,00.html

if you are feeling charitable, please check out this site
http://www.ifrc.org/helpnow/donate/donate_response.asp

you can specify the funds you donate go to help those in the tsunami/earthquake affected areas.

Thushara
Posted 2004-12-26 11:52 PM (#14017 - in reply to #14015)

Thanks a lot kira
Lot of my friends and customers in other countries has tried to reach me yesterday but some of them have failed to contact due to communication problem. I have tons of emails today by asking about the situation and sympathizing. Just now I got to know that the girl who was working at our office as a helper is missing too. Some other people have not got news from their families who were living in down south and no body can reach those areas yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/26/asia.quake/index.html

Edited by Thushara 2004-12-27 12:11 AM
bomberpig
Posted 2004-12-27 12:17 AM (#14019 - in reply to #14013)

Thushara,

I wish to express my shock and sorrow hearing about what's happening in your country ( and a large part of SE Asia ). Please be assured that the rest of the world are all thinking of your misfortune right now. Just heard on the news the Aussie government will be sending aid, I am sure the people will try to do what they can to help too.
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-12-27 10:13 AM (#14027 - in reply to #14019)

Thushara - I'm so glad to hear you are alright and so sorry for all of your losses.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-27 11:05 AM (#14031 - in reply to #14013)

Expert Yogi

Dear Thushara,

I am so sorry for your losses in this horrible disaster. I hope that better
days will follow soon.

Bay Guy

Edited by Bay Guy 2004-12-27 11:06 AM

Posted 2004-12-27 4:08 PM (#14039 - in reply to #14031)

What can be said at a time like this? Nature can be wonderous and cruel. It's impossible for people who haven't encountered this type of disaster to comprehend the magnitude of the destruction and the loss of life. For me, it does reinforce that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
jebaz
Posted 2004-12-27 6:27 PM (#14046 - in reply to #14013)

Thushara

There are no words so express such a lose

I hope your able to draw support from you family and friends.
Thushara
Posted 2004-12-28 12:26 AM (#14054 - in reply to #14046)

Thanks a lot for all your thoughts. It means quite a lot at this time

Actually it was a very big shock to see this and I couldn’t explain much about it in my previous posts. What happened here was that on Sunday around 10.30 I saw people were running on the street and shouting and screaming., The house where I was like 250m away from the sea. Then I heard the news that seawater is floating to the land. But to tell you the truth I didn’t believe it. I thought it must be some sort of a false rumor and people are just panic., Then I saw people running with wet cloths with kids and I realized that its something serious. Then I walked further down the road to see what has happened and whether there is anything I could do as people said the water went off to the sea again.

I asked a person on the road what happened and he explained how the sea waves came and washed off people and their properties to the sea.

No body expected there would be another one. Suddenly the 2nd tidal waves came and I saw the water force coming., (It was somewhere around 11AM I think) Everybody started running as faster as they could. I ran far as I could. I think people who couldn’t run and who were more towards the seaside were washed off. This was the deadliest tidal wave, which came. Believe me it was like a movie.
All the people who lost houses were accommodated by nearest churches and temples soon. Everybody did their best to help them.
In the evening, I saw so many bodies were taken in vehicles, heads and legs were just hanging., and it was such a horrible nightmare. Parents were crying for their lost kids. I don’t know to explain what I saw.

This was in Colombo., but the down south area and East was worst., Busses and trains are washed away to the sea with hundreds of people., Now the bodies are floating to the seashore I saw them on TV yesterday. So the death rate is increasing heavily., In the morning Local TV announced that they have found 15,000 bodies so far., There are many tourist who came for beach side vacations (who managed to save their lives) are still stuck in some places. I heard that helicopters are searching them to bring them back to the Airport to send them back to their countries.
One good thing now is that everybody is helping as much as possible to get the things back in place without waiting for the government to do that., Corporate sector is helping a lot and employees are donating their weekly/daily salaries to get the things back in place faster. But it will take a long time to get the tings back in place., Most of the beach hotels were also washed off to the sea., It going to be a very hard time. Economy will be a very big question mark.( the physical/mental damage, stoppage of tourists, rebuilding infrastructure will be a major issue) Not only in SL , all other effected SE countries. It’s the most horrible day I have experienced in my life. I’m still afraid to look at the sea.

BTW how about other forum members from India and other SE countries., Hope they all are ok

Edited by Thushara 2004-12-28 12:36 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-12-28 1:07 AM (#14057 - in reply to #14013)

Dear Thushara:
I pray God: that all becomes well. that I get a wish to donate what I could and help as I could.

OM shantiH
neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
redtail
Posted 2004-12-28 6:04 AM (#14063 - in reply to #14054)

It IS so sad. I am so sympathetic for the horrendous loss in the area. I wish all that are suffering from this tragedy might find comfort and ease. I wish that you, Thushara, will be able to look at the sea again soon. I pray for peace of mind and healing for all in the affected areas.

Namaste
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-12-28 10:27 AM (#14065 - in reply to #14013)

It's rare that I am left speechless...

My heart goes out to Thushara and everyone around the world that has been effected by this devastating tragedy.

krisina
Posted 2004-12-28 11:52 AM (#14067 - in reply to #14013)

like the rest of you, I too am left speechless. the earth, our mother is sick and the physical symptoms she expresses are a cry for help. this year has been devastating in terms of natural disasters. closer to home for me, Florida, getting repeatedly battered by hurricanes this season. I was scared for our earth then, now it's just a horror. Eskimo communities residing on coastal regions have been pushed farther and farther back as the ice caps melt. long overdue is our attention to the earth. it's like yoga, treating the problem from the inside out, preventitive medicine.
anyone interested please check out the environmentaldefense.com website and sign some petitions to save our mother.
light and love to all in the wake of this disaster,
Kristina
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-29 9:35 PM (#14117 - in reply to #14054)

Expert Yogi

Thushara, you and everyone there are in my thoughts. I wish that there was something
useful that I could do to help. The news reports that I've been reading describe how difficult
things are at the moment. I hope that you are making out okay.

Bay Guy
Shavi
Posted 2004-12-30 2:44 AM (#14122 - in reply to #14013)

Dear Thushara,

Its very sad to read the post which you have explained about the incident. I know that you are ok and it’s a very big relief to me. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. I already went to the Sri Lankan embassy and helped to pack some stuff to send to Sri Lanka and donated some stuff too.I heard that 31st Friday is a National mourning day in Sri Lanka.

I cant believe this, its such a beautiful country with beautiful beaches and landscape. So many warm hearted people., I have been there and I have lot of friends there.Luckily all of them are ok except some damages to their houses. I’m sure the whole world is helping your country and other South east countries at this time., If not, its inhuman.

I always watch BBC and CNN and how much I wish if I can be there with you to help those victims. I know you do your best. I see there are lot of troops coming from other countries with aid and doctors. What I have heard is that you have enough food and cloths but drinking water, medicine and mental/physical health of survivors are the problems. I heard that authorities have counted 25000 bodies in Sri Lanka. And quite a lot in Thailand too. Everything will be ok soon. I pray that all the fears will go off and you and others will have peace of mind. My thoughts are with you always. Please stay away from danger.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-12-30 7:51 AM (#14128 - in reply to #14122)

My thoughts and prayers are with you and these families, too. Close to 80K souls now.

The temples here are taking donations and the Red Cross is looking for blood. (I'm an O-, so I'll be heading over there shortly.)

Take heart as best you can. Life will never be the same, but it will struggle on.

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)