YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is yoga for me?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

callen
Posted 2004-12-28 1:54 PM (#14071)
Subject: Is yoga for me?

Hello.

The gym I belong to offers a yoga class. I've been interested, but never actually checked it out. I'm really interested in the physical aspect of increasing flexiblilty. Part of my hesitation does stem from being self conscious (like most americans, I'm a little overweight). But I also have other reservations about it. I really don't consider myself a spiritual person, and many yoga enthusiasts that I have met have been almost fanatical. I guess I have an agnostic attitude. Is it okay for someone like me to take part in this type of class if I don't necessarily buy into the spiritual aspect of it all?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-12-28 3:10 PM (#14072 - in reply to #14071)
Subject: RE: Is yoga for me?

Zelotry can be a little off-putting can't it? Don't sweat it and give it a try. The new yoga converts are just excited and wanting to share the benefits--they're a harmless lot so don't be afraid. I was like that initially when yoga cured a stiff shoulder that conventional medicine had surrendered on--and in just one yoga session.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-28 8:06 PM (#14086 - in reply to #14071)

Overweight is not a problem, that's the reason why the other people are in the gym too. Probably 2/3 of your class mates will be a bit on the heavy side as well. Also, I'm not the skinniest guy either but nevertheless I've found out that I can do pretty much all of the asanas, sometimes even better than many of the skinnies.
Hatha Yoga in itself is not religious. Spirituality you won't find in yoga classes in a gym. Well, maybe a little, but harmless stuff. For example chanting the OM kinda belongs to a yoga class and it's not very spiritual. And putting hands in prayer position in some asanas is more of a technical aspect and not really praying. So don't you worry, Chris, everything will be just fine The only thing that might happen is that you're bored to death and never ever try yoga again...
Tsaklis
Posted 2004-12-29 3:04 PM (#14101 - in reply to #14071)

Just a thought... Are you sure you are correct in assuming that the yogis you are meeting were spiritual before they began doing yoga? What I mean to say is that yoga can certainly awaken your spiritual side. The caveat, of course, is that you have to be open to it. If you are not open to the spiritual side of yoga, maybe it's not the best course.

I have to agree, as well, that any classes you'll find in a gym are probably not going to be deeply spiritual in nature. I'm a lifelong gym rat and the only yoga classes I've ever seen taught in a gym are Asthanga classes (Power Yoga) and Hatha. It could be a good place to start.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-12-29 3:45 PM (#14104 - in reply to #14071)

Welcome to the board, Steven. Well, I guess there are mainly two kinds of yogis, the ones that start out cause of physical reasons, like becoming more flexible, stronger and losing weight. For me, never being any spiritual/religious at all, I'm slowly developing a growing interest in spiritual things. I don't believe in any god but at least I became a bit more tolerant about these things.
The second group are people who are religious/spiritual in the first place and start practicing yoga as just another aspect of their spirituality. Recitating mantras, searching for god while practicing asanas, meditation are all part of yoga too. So, yoga has something to offer for everybody and everymind
jamesmorris
Posted 2004-12-29 7:03 PM (#14111 - in reply to #14071)

believe me, the yoga class is the least judgmental place you can go. people of all ages, sizes, shapes, and abilities attend and some people only do some of the poses, some do modifed versions to make it easier. nobody ever judged anybody in the class I was in.
MrD
Posted 2004-12-29 7:29 PM (#14112 - in reply to #14071)

Gym yoga classes definitely won't be trying to get much into the philosophy of yoga, nor will they try to convert anyone to a certain religion. I've never seen any of that behavior in a gym yoga class.

In most gym yoga classes you're hoping the music will be loud enough to drown out the noise of the aerobics room next door, or the bounce of a basketball, or the thunk of weights dropping. Gym yoga is generally shorter than studio yoga and is usually quite physical. But that depends widely on the instructors.

Now don't confuse body awareness, or the need to relax as promoting a creed. There are a lot of health benefits in flexibility, body awareness and relaxation or de-stressing. I just saw an ad from the heart center online news letter that has a bio feed back machine that has been approved by the FDA called Respirate (designed to lower blood pressure) It simply monitors the rate of breath. Slow breathing lowers blood pressure. It's taught in yoga every lesson when doing relaxation pose.

Honestly in a gym they don't have time to emphasize the spiritual. And frankly they might get fired if they do. I know that's the case in my Gold's Gym. I'll bet those friends of yours are attending a yoga studio that gets into yoga philosophy, or they have studied on their own.

The usual approach is to discuss the physical issues and let the spiritiual ones take care of themselves.

And, Hey, if they do get carried away you can change teachers, or discuss it with them.

Edited by MrD 2004-12-29 7:47 PM
callen
Posted 2005-01-01 9:27 AM (#14187 - in reply to #14071)

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the feedback. I guess all that is left is for me to just check it out and see what I think.

Thanks again!

C
amasist
Posted 2005-01-01 7:56 PM (#14201 - in reply to #14072)

hi bruce u seem to know alot about yogo and i have only just attempted to do it can u please gove me some help because i just dont seem flexible at all

Posted 2005-01-02 7:49 AM (#14213 - in reply to #14201)

LOL! Boy have you got me wrong Amy! I'm just a yoga beginner! There are many others on this forum who are seasoned practitioners. But being a beginner, I can sympathize with your lack of flexibility--but that's why you would want to practice the physical part of yoga. If you could bend every which way possible, you wouldn't h\need to do it--you could go out and ride a motorcycle instead
tourist
Posted 2005-01-02 11:27 AM (#14228 - in reply to #14201)

Expert Yogi

Read through the threads here and you will find that nobody started out flexible and strong and most of us are still struggling somewhere with our bodies. Tell us more about the yoga you do and maybe we can help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)