YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ana Forrest
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

JackieCat
Posted 2005-01-01 9:30 PM (#14207)
Subject: Ana Forrest

Extreme Veteran

Hi Everyone-

Happy New Year! I am going to an Ana Forrest workshop next weekend (1/9) at Exhale in NYC- a 3 hour workshop called "Journey Into the Core." I've never studied with her but from all I've read, I think I'm going to like it (trying to temper my expectations but I'm still looking forward to it!)

Has anyone done a workshop or teacher training with Ana, or even just done a class in the Forrest yoga style? I'd love to hear your opinions!

Also, is anyone else going to the workshop at Exhale?

Julie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MrD
Posted 2005-01-03 3:32 PM (#14279 - in reply to #14207)
Subject: RE: Ana Forrest

I took 6 hours from her last year, and wished I'd taken the entire 12 hours available.

Anna's Home page is forrestyoga.com. She has also been mentioned several times in Yoga Journal.

Here's what I discovered in her classes.

1. With her being a bit older than many national level instructors, she brings to her practice a knowledge that is tempered with a lot of experience.

2. She will make you sweat. She cranks the the heat in the room up, and it should be crowded. Bring a couple of beach towels to cover your mat and bring a lot of water. But don't use a towel to wipe off sweat until she gives you a break.

3. Fill out the medical history form, she will remember your issues, and respond with needed modifications.

4. If she asked you to bring props make sure that you bring everything she requested. You will use them. She does some core exercises using a block that are amazing. The substitute of using an extra mat doesn't cut it. Even if flexible, bring a strap, she used it even for advanced students.

5. Be prepared to do things differently. Her core exercises are unique, but really work the muscles. I don't know if you'll do many sun salutations, or twists, but she makes sure you keep tension off of the neck. She leans the head down in triangle pose, you don't look over your shoulder in sitting twists. The head is kept in the center of the chest and you look forward.

6. She is exacting. She will tell you precisely where to put your hands hands and feet and correct those who don't follow it and can. She was so insistent in exact placement of hands and feet (14 inches forward, 16 inches to the right, etc.) on the Ashtanga Half Moon pose that it seemed to take away from the otherwise excellent spirit of the class.

7. On the other hand she showed me some modifications for my hamstrings with patience and understanding. And was very good about teaching modifications when needed.

8. Her assistant is gentle and was very helpful. I had only been doing yoga for a year at the time, and he showed me some modifications that I still use.

9. She does a fair amount of pranayama.

10. Her yoga can bring up emotions. She did a Chakra meditation that had 80% of the students crying. (It was very positive) See the Yoga Journal Article that discusser her attitude on this issue.

11. Bring an open heart and you will be rewarded.

I found it a profound experience that still influences my yoga everytime I practice. I would even recommend trying to take more than one of her classes if you could since they are all different.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-03 6:31 PM (#14290 - in reply to #14207)

Julie

Looks like your other thread got hijacked! I'm going to Om on Friday night....maybe exhale on Sunday, but unlikely. I hope you have a great time. We'll compare notes next week.

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-05 5:04 PM (#14386 - in reply to #14207)

Grrrr!!!! I guess I'm not going to ANY of the Ana Forest workshops. My girlfriend never actually booked us and now it's sold out.

Oh well. Must be a sign that I was supposed to do something else this weekend. Have fun, JackieCat!!!! Tell me all about it!

Posted 2005-01-05 5:42 PM (#14389 - in reply to #14386)

Ah just show up, stand by the door and look pitiful (with your checkbook)--melt Ana's heart.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-05 10:30 PM (#14398 - in reply to #14389)

Expert Yogi

Bruce is right. Not everyone who signed up will actually show for the event,
so there may be room for walk-ins. As for your girlfriend dropping the ball ---
HO! Been there! Done that!

Suggestion --- based on long experience --- next time, do it yourself.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-06 10:15 AM (#14414 - in reply to #14207)

Long story... but it turns out I dropped the ball. Not her. $h1t, now I have noone to blame but myself. Yeah, I like that idea about standing around looking pitiful, but I think there are more deserving people out there that actually got it together in time. All the workshops in NYC are sold out and there are long waiting lists. I guess it's just not my time...
itchytummy
Posted 2005-01-07 9:44 PM (#14518 - in reply to #14414)

Sorry to hear that, YogaGuy, but hey at least you're displaying some very yogi-ish behaviour by keeping your cool about it. You're probably right, this probably isn't your time, and who knows, maybe a better opportunity will pop up in the future. I applaud you for your mature attitude, though.
sirensong2
Posted 2005-01-08 6:56 PM (#14547 - in reply to #14518)

happy new year all!

Keith, ( &/or anyone interested) if you don't mind the 4 hour travel- or 45 min flight, ana will be in Boston @ Back Bay Yoga march 4th-6th.

tasha
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-10 3:16 PM (#14618 - in reply to #14207)

Thanks for the update. Maybe a trip up to Boston would be nice.

Sooo.... who went and how was it? I want details!!!

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-10 3:17 PM (#14619 - in reply to #14207)

Julie

What happened???? How was it????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)