YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Suggestion
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-01-05 9:32 PM (#14397)
Subject: Suggestion

OK - ideas needed. I have a good friend who is about 80- 100 lbs overweight. She is now having chronic back trouble (discs) - big surprise I know - and some heel spurs as well. She also had a severe blot clot in one leg about 10 years or so ago which never really went away and is on cumidim (sp?) forever basically, so has to be careful in general. She is a great person - never complains - but I just see where this is heading and I wish I could help. She does have a treadmill, but because of her back trouble is not able to do even that at this time. She will not go to a yoga class - I have tried, but she is simply too self conscious. Is there a video/dvd someone would recommend for absolute beginners and designed for those overweight (not perfect body people in every shot)? I have read the posts about (and agree with) beginners working with a teacher, but at this rate she will become yet another of those people in back surgery and it is just so unfortunate. Maybe if she does a little on her own it will inspire her....
Thanks, Maria
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-01-06 7:20 AM (#14408 - in reply to #14397)
Subject: RE: Suggestion

I hate to say this, but your friend's condition is exactly why she should never be anywhere near a yoga dvd or video. Her history of back and circulation problems greatly increases the risk of injury during yoga, and the idea of her trying to learn asanas on her own from a dvd is just asking for trouble. She needs a caring, comprehensive person to guide her through this process. Yoga may definitely be the answer for your friend, but she has to desire it enough to take the first steps. Check around for teachers that offer in-home instruction. It may be a bit more expensive, but would only be necessary until she felt comfortable enough with yoga to go to a class. Help her choose the proper style of yoga as well. A person in her present condition should probably avoid Ashtanga yoga in favor of something a bit more gentle. Most people who are greatly overweight will find they benefit as much, if not more, from the relaxation and mindfullness of yoga than from the asanas. The key, I believe, is finding someone who stresses kindness in their teaching.
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-01-06 7:47 AM (#14409 - in reply to #14397)

Thanks. That's a good idea - to have someone work privately - she may be willing to try that. The relaxation/focus is one reason why I would think yoga would benefit her, to get her beginning to think about her body in a different way, but I would never suggest anything close to Asthanga. I just thought there may be an exceedingly gentle video which has a very low danger/injury worry. But perhaps that simply is not possible.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-06 10:08 AM (#14412 - in reply to #14397)

She needs to consider a few stays at Fasting Retreats.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-06 6:03 PM (#14435 - in reply to #14397)

Say, MariaFloresta, what about you as a teacher? I don't know about your knowledge or your ranking on the "yoga career ladder" but for a simple and gently beginner's practice you're certainly good enough as a instructor, aren't you? Heck, even I could teach a little well-rounded home practice and give enough support and corrections, so you can too. It's the better way than DVD to avoid your friend getting in trouble. And regarding her self-consciousness that would probably be the most comforting way for her too.

Edited by afroyogi 2005-01-06 6:04 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-01-07 10:44 AM (#14468 - in reply to #14435)

Expert Yogi

Good point, Stefan. Practicing with a friend is very nice and you never know, it could lead to bigger and better things MariaFloresta, if you are uncertain about what to teach your friend, we could give you some poses and sequences to try. If she hesitates, as her to help you with "your" yoga - sneaky but nice in the long run!
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-01-07 12:18 PM (#14480 - in reply to #14397)

Stefan - good idea and I will try it. She's actually quite successful in everything else she does work wise, but has this deep self esteem issue when it comes to her body - which is why she avoids classes. She's actually said that to me. I do feel comfortable with basic yoga poses - it's the mental part that worries me. I don't want her to get down on herself, when things that are easy for me, - since I've been practicing for a while and have always been athletic - simple stretches - are hard for her. I honestly think if large people see other large people trying things they will be less intimidated and stick with it. Why I was thinking of a video. There really should be one - it just seems logical... But basically, like anything, she needs to want to change, and I will be there and try to help, but if surgery doesn't scare her into looking at her health differently...well unfortunately she will join many others in this world who choose severe medical procedures in the hopes of a quick fix versus the more long term solutions.
MrD
Posted 2005-01-07 2:22 PM (#14489 - in reply to #14397)

Complete Yoga for weight Loss by Suzanne Deason is specifically designed for those with larger bodies. It given detailed instructions, but you might want to do it with her to see where she goes wrong.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-07 7:08 PM (#14501 - in reply to #14397)

>> I do feel comfortable with basic yoga poses - it's the mental part that worries me. I don't want her to get down on herself, when things that are easy for me, - since I've been practicing for a while and have always been athletic - simple stretches - are hard for her. <<

Easy fix for that: Just stress out over and over again that it's hard for her because she's a BEGINNER and not because she's a bit on the plump side. And don't show of too much of your subtle yogini body but rather keep on the pushing/pulling/correcting/supporting side of things.
For me it's always a big help when teachers are telling me that for a beginner it's not important to do the full pose and look cool. If she just goes as far as she can manage, she will already gain the benefits as long as she stays in proper alignment!
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-01-12 11:23 AM (#14761 - in reply to #14397)

Thanks for all the ideas everyone and I just wanted to post an update. The Suzanne Deason sounds very good and I found another one while searching - Easy Yoga. Also, links to 2 great articles at Yoga Journal are below for those who are interested in yoga and the overweight.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/1138_1.cfm

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/132_1.cfm

My friend has agreed to get together and actually sounded interested, so I guess she's at a point where she's open to it. Hopefully that's a good sign. Now she just has to get a dvd player since she watches movies on her computer in her bedroom. I know.....but she's in NYC and space is a huge issue. I'll keep working on it. It's why I live outside in the burbs - need my leg room.
Maria
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-12 1:39 PM (#14765 - in reply to #14397)

Maria

The problem is that there is no quick fix. Your friend has several important issues that need to be addressed. There is no ONE video that will help her. She needs a complete lifestyle change. Sounds like a lot of work. It is. But it can be done gently and slowly.

People that walk the yoga path find that it starts to have effects on other parts of their lives and soon find that a shift has occurred. Yoga might work for your friend but it will take a long time and she will have to adopt more than just a physical practice, she will have to change the way she eats, sleeps and breathes.

There are other paths too. She could get a trainer and a dietician. She could join weightwatchers. We all know what to do to lose weight. The problem is actually doing it.

Every day brings another opportunity to make new and right choices. She should begin to start making them every day.

MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-01-12 3:59 PM (#14771 - in reply to #14397)

You're definitely right in that there are multiple issues; just sometimes one thing can start the ball rolling. I am not expecting too much but, honestly, part of this is that I can live with myself down the road and know that I didn't sit back and did nothing. Since I work in classical music I know quite a few people who are seriously overweight (there is truth to the fat soprano thing!) but she is a good friend and has been there for me and I want to do what I can. She is very motivated and disciplined in the rest of her life, so if gives me a little hope.
tourist
Posted 2005-01-13 10:15 AM (#14816 - in reply to #14771)

Expert Yogi

The video mentioned in the first article by Mara Nesbitt is apparently very good. Yogadancer Christine has seen it and I think corresponded with Mara and liked her a lot. And Mara is not just a "rounder body" who is 10 - 20 pounds overweight by stick person standards. She is big.
fifi
Posted 2005-01-13 1:23 PM (#14827 - in reply to #14397)

Hi Maria,

Your friend is self-conscious about her weight, no? Can you stand one more recommendation? She'll trim down more walking in waist deep water (in a heated, indoor pool) for 30 min 3x week. Walking in water will tremendously ease the pressure on her spine.

I've found Iyengar Yoga to be really, really good for the joints. I think of Iyengar as warm milk and cookies for the body....yum. Neel is also very right on with the fasting retreats and if you're reading this, Neel, can you please recommend some in the US? Thanks.

Maria, your friend should prepare for one year doing super gentle stuff (for her body, self-esteem and mental health) before doing something really different (like various Hatha yogas). She's not well at 80 lbs overweight. Easy does it. Might want to try Tai Chi, even. Fifi
ShaktiGrrl
Posted 2005-01-13 2:41 PM (#14831 - in reply to #14397)

"She needs to consider a few stays at Fasting Retreats"

I'm just curious why she needs to starve herself? Yoyo dieting is so, so dangerous. Advising an overweight person not to eat is ignorant and insensitive.
fifi
Posted 2005-01-13 2:52 PM (#14832 - in reply to #14397)

Please!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-13 5:38 PM (#14846 - in reply to #14397)

I never tried fasting but I've heard that it's more supposed to cleanse the intestines and blood and not suitable for weight loss.
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-01-18 11:39 AM (#15065 - in reply to #14765)

There is a wonderful woman named Mara Nesbitt who does homemade (i.e. self-produced) videos for extremely large people.
I've spoken with her via email upon occasion and she is a really great person. I must warn you that we're talking large people yoga. If your friend isn't at this weight, there's another danger that you're somehow suggesting she is viewed as such, and if that doesn't match her self-image, it might be hurtful.

It's such a double-edged sword here. It all depends upon your friend's drive, depression, and attitude. But here's the link, just in case: Mara Nesbitt.

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)