YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Partner Yoga / Couples Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

gogirl58
Posted 2005-01-10 2:09 AM (#14594 - in reply to #14437)
Subject: RE: Partner Yoga / Couples Yoga

Extreme Veteran

"The partner classes I do are billed as partner classes in advance so you come with somebody or you come alone knowing that you could get a sweaty guy or an ugly woman"

This didn't bother me when I first read it, but during yoga class, I found that it went through my mind. It feels bad that there is this "pick up" aspect of yoga class..... and that a part of it means talk about pretty young women, and ugly women, and not about hunky guys and
ugly men.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-10 5:27 AM (#14599 - in reply to #14594)
Subject: RE: Partner Yoga / Couples Yog

Hey dont feel bad about it

Its because girls are more generous to think equally about guys as humans irrespective of how they look

Posted 2005-01-10 5:43 AM (#14601 - in reply to #14599)

And we guys are appreciative that you gals are more generous toward us. You know, seriously, of course it's natural for there to be a desire to associate at whatever level with whom an individual finds attractive. But if you want to improve in asana ability, the wise yogi-in-training chooses a partner to do so rather than a partner with whom he THINKS he might get lucky.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-10 10:07 AM (#14605 - in reply to #14594)

Expert Yogi

gogirl58 - 2005-01-10 2:09 AM
It feels bad that there is this "pick up" aspect of yoga class..... and that a part of it means talk about pretty young women, and ugly women, and not about hunky guys and
ugly men.

Physical beauty is overrated anyway.

I went to one yoga studio where everything seemed geared toward pretty people
looking cool and stylish doing their yoga. Everybody wore expensive yoga outfits,
had a nice tan, and was well coiffed. The paint on the walls was stylish, and even
the music was stylish. It annoyed me so much that I never went back to the
place (besides, I wear crappy old gym shorts, have messy hair, and sweat a lot).
I like doing yoga with other people, but I'm in yoga class to learn and practice yoga.

Posted 2005-01-10 11:44 AM (#14610 - in reply to #14605)

We'll have to practice together Brother Bay Guy--sounds like no women would EVER want anything to do with us/
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-01-10 1:14 PM (#14612 - in reply to #14577)

there's a good work-around for that, Melissa. We all have a mouth attached right in our face, don't we?<<

Absolutely! But I don't know how far YOU can go. I would feel horrible (and pissed) if someone pushed themselves too far w/ me as a partner, got hurt and then blamed me for it (which I have seen happen).
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-10 3:48 PM (#14626 - in reply to #14437)

>> Ultimate goal of Yogi is to reach Samadhi and once you attained Samadhi, there is nothing called me and mine., Everybody becomes you and you become everybody. <<

Then I hope that I will never attain samadhi. Honestly, I think most people are bad. I don't wanna become them, nooooooo!

>> Absolutely! But I don't know how far YOU can go. I would feel horrible (and pissed) if someone pushed themselves too far w/ me as a partner, got hurt and then blamed me for it (which I have seen happen). <<

Are people really that stupid? At least I always say stop as soon as I hear the first loud pops and ripping noises coming from my body
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-10 4:05 PM (#14628 - in reply to #14437)

YG, I see where you're coming from. Please believe me that I'm not the self-centered, spoiled and egomaniac person you imagine me. I'm kinda famous for being a little sunshine, oozing out love, always smiling, caring, sharing, giving and stuff.
I once heard that if you want to really love, you must first be able to love yourself. I guess that's the same with yoga. I think I first have to learn to master myself, learn about myself, getting to know me, to be able to focus on my practice, before I can be of any help to others. In order to do that I simply need some me-time, it is very precious luxury to me.
However, if this partner thing is really so important, how come that most yogis are still practicing in solitude, centered in themself? Heck, during class we're not even supposed to look at the other students.
But please believe me, as soon as we do some partner poses of course I do my very best to support and help my partner in any way possible. Since I'm one of the more experienced students in the beginners class, I even dare to give a little correction here and there. Also I gladly accept help and correction from fellow students.
But you can't force me to like the partner stuff, can you?
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-10 4:29 PM (#14630 - in reply to #14628)

afroyogi - 2005-01-10 4:05 PM

I once heard that if you want to really love, you must first be able to love yourself. I guess that's the same with yoga. I think I first have to learn to master myself, learn about myself, getting to know me, to be able to focus on my practice, before I can be of any help to others. In order to do that I simply need some me-time, it is very precious luxury to me.

Are you still talking about ma$turbat1ng?

afroyogi - 2005-01-10 4:05 PM
However, if this partner thing is really so important, how come that most yogis are still practicing in solitude, centered in themself? Heck, during class we're not even supposed to look at the other students.

You keep mixing up two ideas. I'm not pushing partner yoga. I'm just getting a sense of what people think about it. Personally, I love it. If other people don't like it, that's fine. It's NOT an essential part of yoga practice. It's just a part of MY practice.

What I AM pushing is the sense that being self-centered and doing "me me me" yoga is the wrong attitude. Certainly, I don't expect you to feel guilty for taking a precious luxury and enjoying your practice to the fullest. Your practice should be a gift to yourself AND TO OTHERS. However, if you never dedicate you practice to someone else or take a moment to thank other people for the luxury, the gift you are receiving then you are exactly the self-centered, spoiled and egomaniacal person I imagine you to be. I am not talking just about partner yoga, I am talking about ALL YOGA.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-10 6:36 PM (#14637 - in reply to #14437)

>> What I AM pushing is the sense that being self-centered and doing "me me me" yoga is the wrong attitude. <<

See, we're on the same side after all. I'm just saying that I do the yoga fucusing on myself - during practice not after. So I can become a better person in real life. I don't do it for the me me me reason. Okay, just a little me me me, since I enjoy my better flexibility, strenght and health if that's allowed. I accepted yoga as a gift and for that I'm very grateful.
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-01-10 8:31 PM (#14642 - in reply to #14626)

Are people really that stupid?<<

Is the Pope Cathoic?
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-11 9:36 AM (#14670 - in reply to #14610)

Expert Yogi

Bruce - 2005-01-10 11:44 AM

We'll have to practice together Brother Bay Guy--sounds like no women would EVER want anything to do with us/

Somehow guys aren't too popular as yoga partners, are they? Maybe if I let those guys
from "Queer eye" give me a make-over? They could trim my eyebrows and wax my
back. I doubt they could do much about the sweating, 'though.
mkotya
Posted 2005-01-11 11:15 AM (#14681 - in reply to #14471)

YogaGuy - 2005-01-07 11:31 AM
As for the whole ME ME ME thing. I think you people are missing the point entirely!!!! I cannot stress enough how yoga is sooo NOT about you! Yoga means union.

Working on yourself is not about trying to look better in the mirror. It's about trying to make you a better person so that when you leave class you contribute to making the world a better place. Giving back to the world can be as simple as smiling or saying "thank you." It's about NOT using other people to dump your issues on. It's about helping the people around you to be their best.

Wow! Some very heated discussion here. I want to address several points you brought up, Keith. I believe that practicing yoga is primarily about oneself. When I practice yoga, I don't think about making a world a better place, I think about bringing my body into balance. BTW, some scholars insist that the word "yoga" means balance, not union. I am focused on keeping my concentration, breath, locks, etc. and correcting the physical/emotional/psychological or whatever issues that I am dealing with and really at that point I don't think about the rest of the world.

However, once you are teaching yoga, you priorities shift. At that point, you are no longer focused on yourself, but rather trying to make sure your students do well and make progress, be encouraged to try their best and let their bodies remember the important details while not getting injured.

You can make a world a better place without practicing yoga; in fact, most of us believe that we all make our contribution. Whether you volunteer, donate money or your time and skills to a charity, or smile at someone has nothing to do with yoga. However, practicing yoga and meditation CAN make you do more of it. But then, I think it is false to assume that practicing yoga makes you an altruist. You and me and anyone else do all of those things above for ourselves, not for others. It is not because we want to make a world a better place; it is because by giving we enrich ourselves.

As to partner yoga, I tried it several times as part of a regular yoga class. I always got matched with another female, since the teachers usually make you partner with someone your size. Also, there are usually much fewer males than there are females in the class. I had mixed feelings about it. I really enjoyed doing the exercises where the contact between the partners is not that "intimate", i.e. you don't have to hold hands and stuff. I did, however, dislike holding hands with a lady whose hands were really sweaty. However, I am open-minded when it comes to trying new things, so I wouldn't shy away from practicing partner yoga if my teacher introduced it during the regular yoga class. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't sign up for an entire partner-yoga class.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-11 4:35 PM (#14706 - in reply to #14437)

Mkotya, I don't think the discussion was very heated. You should have read us during the US pres election . But thanx anyway for making my point clear in good english. See, I sometimes have trouble to come through, due to my very restricted english.

Posted 2005-01-11 5:16 PM (#14710 - in reply to #14706)

Stefan's right! The presidential election discussion ended up having the administrators freeze the thread.

(btw Stefan--I won)
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-11 6:15 PM (#14713 - in reply to #14710)

Expert Yogi

No Brother Bruce, we all lost.

I can't wait until Hillary Clinton gets elected in '08. She'll restore
social security, appoint human beings to the Supreme Court, and
restore my civil liberties. Right now, we are living in 1935 Germany.

Opps, sorry, you guys shouldn't have brought up politics....

...I'll start a new line of conversation. {below}
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-11 6:16 PM (#14714 - in reply to #14713)

Expert Yogi

So, what I'd like to know, is whether anybody out there met
their current love interest in a yoga class? Are yoga classes
good for singles looking to marry? And which styles of yoga
would you recommend to somebody hoping to meet someone
special?

Posted 2005-01-11 7:03 PM (#14717 - in reply to #14714)

Man, you liberal left coasters--your infatuation with Mrs. Clinton carries over to unbridled perversity in looking for sex on the yoga mat. We conservatives lie there in savasana thinking of privatization of social security and eliminating hostile threats--that's now that's red/white & blue arousal.
tourist
Posted 2005-01-11 7:06 PM (#14718 - in reply to #14714)

Expert Yogi

No chance in the goddess's green earth I would have ever met my DH in a yoga class Nope, never, never, never...

I would recommend, for the purpose of sweetie finding, whatever form of yoga helps you become your best self, as described in some of the above posts. When you look and feel great, you tend to be a better person (not always an altruist but better) and you will attract a better sort. Of course, you should make sure you attend classes which attract the appropriate gender for you, whatever that may be...
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-13 1:09 PM (#14825 - in reply to #14437)

I met my gf in yoga. I'm as happy as I can be!!!
LoraB
Posted 2005-01-13 3:13 PM (#14833 - in reply to #14437)

Most of the boys in my yoga classes are either with their girlfriends or not of my persuasion (or old enough to be my father - nice to talk to, not really my type)......Looks like I'm outta luck for now, but I'm not opposed to guy yogis.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-13 3:33 PM (#14835 - in reply to #14713)

>> I can't wait until Hillary Clinton gets elected in '08. She'll restore
social security, appoint human beings to the Supreme Court, and
restore my civil liberties. Right now, we are living in 1935 Germany. <<

What did I hear, in Virginia women who had a miscarriage are now going to be registered in a database, so that in the future they maybe can be held responsible for murder? Yah, maybe it's not quite germany 1935 but as close as it gets. Iran, Saudi Arabia and other evil empires look like havens of freedom compared to the US right now.
Just saw on telly "The Unauthorized Biography of **** Cheney", I bet you never get to see doccies like that, do you? It's hairraising stuff.
I'm ranting ... this is not about yoga ... I have to ... stopppppp
What's that black helicopter doing there? It's circling over my house ... it's coming closer ... have to split now, bye b............................................

Posted 2005-01-13 4:00 PM (#14841 - in reply to #14835)

Stefan, if that news story, what has to be BS, about the miscarriages in VA somehow happens to be true--watch the news for me leading the protest in the streets. That HAS to be crap. As for the docu-hooey on the Honorable vice president--the key to vieing it is in the title--"Unauthorized," it does NOT say "Unbiased." Finally, the helicopter isn't ours...we we hit, it's silent like the old adage "you never hear the shot that kills ya."
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-14 12:35 AM (#14863 - in reply to #14437)

I don't know if it's true or BS, but here's a (obviously biased) link:

http://democracyforvirginia.typepad.com/democracy_for_virginia/2005/01/legislative_sen.html

Also true, the TV doccie was biased in the point that they didn't find anything nice to report about ****. And like always, I'm much to lazy to do some research on my own to get all the accusations against him confirmed. Like everything on TV, I take it with a pinch of salt. But should all that stuff be true ... OMG!!! Like for example, no US citizen is allowed to do any business with Iran ... except Halliburton's mailbox on the Cayman Islands

BTW, good to know that your guys don't come by helicopter and are vewwy vewwy quiet. So, should I drop dead without a warning, at least I know who's responsible
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-01-14 7:22 AM (#14866 - in reply to #14863)

Like for example, no US citizen is allowed to do any business with Iran ... except Halliburton's mailbox on the Cayman Islands <<

There are a couple of other countries included in this, but do you really think Halliburton is the only US business w/ a Cayman mailbox??

BTW, good to know that your guys don't come by helicopter and are vewwy vewwy quiet. So, should I drop dead without a warning, at least I know who's responsible <<

Not if you don't know you're dead
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)