YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is Yoga for Christians
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Malt
Posted 2005-01-08 8:34 AM (#14530)
Subject: Is Yoga for Christians

I am a christian and I would like to know if it is wise to pracitse it. I have heard a lot of things that it is something spiritual and not to be practised, especially as a christian. If one has faith in God why would they have to go to Yoga to help them to meditate.

Please let me know as I need to know the real facts about it, rather than opinions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-08 9:29 AM (#14534 - in reply to #14530)
Subject: RE: Is Yoga for Christians

Expert Yogi

There's a long long thread on Christianity in this forum. Why not start by
reading that?
tourist
Posted 2005-01-08 12:25 PM (#14538 - in reply to #14530)

Expert Yogi

When you call yourself a "christian" you will have to define that a little more. Do you belong to an organised church? Which one? What do your spiritual leaders say about other faiths and beliefs? Meditation is a very well accepted form of spiritual practice in many Christian churches but not in others. You do not have to do yoga to meditate. You do not have to meditate to do yoga.

Posted 2005-01-08 2:34 PM (#14540 - in reply to #14530)

Oh Malt, your major question, "...I need to know the real facts..." presents quite an impossible dilemma--how do you ascertain the truth when one's religion is based on faith as developed by an organized religion who's doctrine has been tweaked by mere mortals over 2000 years? Combine that with yoga that is based on even older writings and speeches and you'll go crazy if you have to analyze the basic rules of engagement for each. I'm guessing you've read the Bible and especially the New Testement. Maybe you could read the Upanishads and the Bhagad Gita--you can acess them through Yoga.com or other Web locations or any bookstore--Then you my Malt friend can decide if yoga is for Christians and indeed for you. I'll add that I was raised as a Quaker, am very conservative, vote Republican, spent 30 years in the U.S. Air Force, married for 30 years to the same woman and I'm a yoga praticing fool. If some preacher would tell me that yoga is not for Christians, I'd write him off as a ill-informed doof and if some yogi said Chistianity is not for yogis, they'd merit the same amount of contempt.
bomberpig
Posted 2005-01-08 6:02 PM (#14543 - in reply to #14530)

The other day I googled 'world taekwondo' and ended up in this webite ( Australian too ! ) that basically says yoga is heretical and no Christian should ever do it. I was so steamed up. No wonder people like Malt are confused. Malt, Bruce is right, do your research and decide in your own heart and mind whether you want to try it and whether it might help your practice in Christianity.

Edited by bomberpig 2005-01-08 6:08 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-08 10:25 PM (#14560 - in reply to #14543)

Expert Yogi

You guys are gonna get me going on this, when I was trying to show some
restraint. The question is whether Christianity is for people with Christian
beliefs. Seems like there's always some Elmer Gantry out there selling
blessed squares of cloth and pointing out some other set of beliefs that
is assuredly the work of Devil. Oooooo Scary!!! And then of course
this fellow will tell you to go out and condemn and persecute those who
hold different beliefs.

Yet, as Christ said "Judge not, lest ye also be judged." Or, "Let him who is
without sin cast the first stone." These same ideas are at the foundation
of yogic philosophy.

As Brother Neel often says, Jesus was a yogi. End of story.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-09 12:15 AM (#14561 - in reply to #14530)

Dear Malt:

You said you want to know the real facts, and not opinions. Let me attempt this. The fact is that according to you or according to what you heard or according to your belief or according to the belief of the person you heard, 'If one has faith in God, one does not need to go to Yoga to get help in Meditation'.

Yes, you are correct in that statement, only with your WRONG understanding of the word Yoga. Correction is as follows.

Having Faith in God is Yoga at a very high level. For example, if you have a real faith in God, you would NOT need to ask this question on www.yoga.com. Now, having Faith in GOD is the real Yoga at a very high level. But, to get that real faith in GOD, you need to do some thing. That some thing is called Yoga Practice.

For example, you may be doing running, etc to keep your fitness. Instead, you can do it by Yoga Exericse. For example, you may like to keep heathy body using healthy food habits. This is done by Yogic Diet. You may like to keep peace of mind, this is done by Yogic Mental Exercise or Practice, called as Meditation. Thus, anything good you will try to do to develop a Real Faith in God, will need Yoga Practice, without any chance of avoiding it.

Now, if you say one has real faith in God, and one can go on doing whatever they wish, then one can go on driniking alcohol, steal others money, rape women, kill people, etc. and still be Faithful to God. Does not that happen in some religions? Also, as I said, if one has real faith in God, no questions such as the one you asked should arise.

To give you the trust that I am not giving my opinions, but the facts from Yoga Science, let me quote from the most popular Yoga Text, namely Shree Patanjali Yoga Aphorisms.

ahimsa satya asteya brahmacharya aparigrahah yamah - non killing, truthfulness, non stealing, not taking others propertyy, and sesual control in order to develop faith in GOD are called Yamas.

jati desh kala samayavachchinna sarvabhauma mahavratam - these disciplines are beyond the boundaries of caste (type of people), place of people, time of day, and time period.

I think your misunderstanding may be caused by wrong usage of Word 'Yoga' without studying what it is.

Best Luck in your study and faith.
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

bomberpig
Posted 2005-01-09 6:36 AM (#14564 - in reply to #14530)

Neel when are you going to write a book ? I'd be one of the first to buy it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-09 4:43 PM (#14575 - in reply to #14530)

Dear Bomberpig:

Thanks for the comment. My material is on www.authenticyoga.org (books, videos, and audios). If you wish to buy anything, send the money to Neel Kulkarni, Apt 104, 2536 Chain Bridge Road, Vienna, VA 22181, and I shall send you the material.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-09 11:51 PM (#14590 - in reply to #14530)

Malt - 2005-01-09 7:34 PM

I am a christian and I would like to know if it is wise to pracitse it. I have heard a lot of things that it is something spiritual and not to be practised, especially as a christian. If one has faith in God why would they have to go to Yoga to help them to meditate.

It says……….Before god came to this world everybody was equally smart.. And equally foolish...

samantha77
Posted 2005-01-31 3:31 PM (#15830 - in reply to #14530)

Extreme Veteran

Yoga can be what you want it to be. It doesn't necessarily have to be an observance of a religion that you don't believe in. I don't believe in facts where religion is concerned. Yes, some things can be proved or disproved based on history, but when it comes down to whether or not practicing yoga goes against your beliefs as a Christian, would be your call, or so it seems to me. Don't let anyone else tell you what God wants you to do, or doesn't want you to do. There's no way they could know that. Although religion is usually observed as a part of a congregation, or other type of group when it comes down to it it's a private thing. You say that if someone has faith in God, then why would they need Yoga to meditate. If you don't use Yoga to achieve that end, then you'll have to use some other method. Go with what makes you happy, and the most connected to your faith and don't worry about what anyone else says.
MrD
Posted 2005-01-31 6:38 PM (#15842 - in reply to #14530)

Malt - 2005-01-08 8:34 AM

Please let me know as I need to know the real facts about it, rather than opinions.

The best way to get to God through Meditation is the way that works for you. Christian Sources have literally hundreds of methods to meditate. James Finnley, Thomas Merton, Ignatius of Loyola are good sources that I've read. If you look In Amazon.com you can find a large number of books if you search on Christian Meditation, Contemplation, or Christian Contemplation. So clearly you don't have to use Yoga to Meditate.

In the past individuals would use fasting, sleep deprivation, purgatives, or other techniques to get into a meditative state. Yoga can also assist in getting to a meditative state and makes you physically stronger as well. Thoughts are calmer when the body is tired.

Hatha Yoga in its bare essentials is a set of physical exercises that strengthen the body and quiet the mind. This is the way it's typically taught in American classes. When meditation is mentioned, usually they focus on getting the body to relax and the mind to still by paying attention to how the body is reacting, and awareness of the breath.

I've found it's easy to find instructors that will not try to teach Buddism or Hinduism. The vast majority of instructors I go to are practicing Christians. One of them even said, I'm not looking to change my religion. Yet she confessed to me in private that yoga increased her relationship to God.

It's easy to find non-dogmatic instructors. Gyms rarely get into religious philosophy. Any yoga studio that advertizes that they will not get involved in Dogma, or advertise that they won't be teaching yoga philosophy are usually safe bets. Most Bikram, Power and Ashtanga classes emphasize the physical aspects and are usually careful not to impose any specific philosophies.

There are all kinds of yoga philosophies (Neel would be the one to direct you in that direction), but it's easy to find places that don't do it if you wish.

Edited by MrD 2005-01-31 6:47 PM
autumneve
Posted 2005-03-27 11:49 AM (#20194 - in reply to #14530)

I think it depends on whether you spend more time practicing yoga than you do reading your Bible.
the_muse
Posted 2005-03-30 2:02 AM (#20511 - in reply to #14530)

Once upon a time, someone said to me "I'm a CHRISTIAN!" You should have seen the shock when I responded with bemusement, "Already?"

Consider that being Christian is a process. No two journeys are the same regardless of the path, belief system or religion anyone takes towards a pure unconditionally loving self.

Perhaps these passages will help.
1 Tim. 4:15
Matt. 6:28
Ps. 19:14
2 Samuel 6:14

Hey even King David was quite the dancer and God was cool with that! God is so awesome and loving; what's a bit of downward dog, some deep breathing and meditation to One who has actually given us permission to do "even greater things?"

Hope this inspires!
sivaram
Posted 2005-04-01 8:21 PM (#20896 - in reply to #20511)

Muse:
These are lovely thoughts. Thanks for sharing your views...
Bunty
Posted 2005-04-01 10:09 PM (#20917 - in reply to #14530)

Just Remember only one thing...which is forwarded to us by our ancestors from thousand years back...

Humanity is the only religion
Breath is the only Prayer
Consciousness is the only God.

SAT CHIT ANAND
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-01 10:19 PM (#20921 - in reply to #20917)

Expert Yogi

Chitananda roopa, Sivoham Sivoham....
Bodhisattva
Posted 2005-04-12 5:34 PM (#21751 - in reply to #14530)

Jesus Christ himself taught a form of yoga. .But usually 'christians' just don't get it. I'm a christian myself and practice yoga the way Jesus taught it...it's sad that usually my fellow christians don't understand this stuff and I'm accused for blasphemy. When you mention a yoga and Jesus in the same sentence you're going to get a quite a lecture.

yogi-boy
Posted 2005-04-15 4:21 PM (#22068 - in reply to #14530)

Or reverse the question: Are christians for yoga?

I had the same dilema when I first started yoga. I was both inexplicably drawn to yoga, yet was equally wary after years pfv christian propaganda advocating against it. I wanted both. So guess what I did...

I asked God during my meditaions what His answer was. Reluctant to give up my yoga practice but prepared to obey his answer too. My recommendation to you is to do the same.

Ironically, for all those that argue yoga is contrary to the will of God, I've found it's brought me closer to him.

Seek and ye shall find...

Namaste / Amen
pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-20 12:27 PM (#22448 - in reply to #14530)

I'm a believer, and i love yoga. It has really changed me in a lot of ways, and i know i'm growing more each time i accomplish a session.

I enjoy doing yoga, and i focus on God and making and keeping my body healthy.
I wouldn't do yoga if i felt uncomfortable, or if i felt convicted about it. I have known other christains who have felt convicted, and they just practice at home.

Sometimes class can be a little "out there" for me, once in a GREAT while my teacher will say something i don't agree with at all, and that's fine. It isn't harming ME to listen. I am who i am and she is who she is.

I respect the differences, and i choose to do yoga because i love it. I have a book called "Prayer of heart and body: meditation and yoga as a christian spiritual practice". It's cool...check it out.

Also, i have found that my best yoga sessions with myself and God are when i incorporate my daily devotions within. I read from a small book which paraphrases the bible into God talking to me, and then i contemplate it and pray and ask God to be with me through my practice, and then my day.

I hope you will try yoga. It's something i am so thankful to God that i discovered!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-20 9:47 PM (#22477 - in reply to #22448)

Expert Yogi

Yogis pray with their bodies. As Dharma Mittra says "Everything is an act of
devotion to the Lord."

Om nama Sivaya.
the_muse
Posted 2005-04-21 2:29 PM (#22562 - in reply to #14530)

Yoga is powerful, but nothing is more powerful than love. There is just no way that yoga can be a sin against a God so big, so loving, so wonderous and awesome. In both Christian and yoga traditions, whatever we do is to be done with an open, loving and kind heart. Know the path of peace, say the wise yogis. "Lord, let me be an instrument of thy peace,” prayed Saint Francis. "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you," said Jesus. If by your faith you can walk through the valley of the shadow of death and fear no evil, then I can't imagine the local Yoga Center being much worse.

When you come right down to it, no matter what you do, as long as you do it in pure love and kindness with the intention of moving closer to the Divine, then we're all talking about the same thing no matter our religion, belief, path or practice.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-21 8:40 PM (#22604 - in reply to #22562)

Expert Yogi

Thank you, Muse. I second that thought. And with that in mind - I am off to teach

Edited by tourist 2005-04-21 8:40 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-21 10:23 PM (#22627 - in reply to #22562)

Expert Yogi

the_muse - 2005-04-21 2:29 PM

When you come right down to it, no matter what you do, as long as you do it in pure love and kindness with the intention of moving closer to the Divine, then we're all talking about the same thing no matter our religion, belief, path or practice.

I couldn't agree more.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)