YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pondering...need some advice..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

kaliko
Posted 2005-01-08 8:42 PM (#14555)
Subject: pondering...need some advice..

hi fellow yogi's! i'm a newbie to the forum, so would also like to take a moment to introduce myself.

i've been practicing yoga for quite some time now, but since moving to europe, my practice started falling behind as the city where i'm currently living...does not even have one yoga studio, or space to practice in. practicing by myself has drawn so many people's interests in wanting to learn, that last summer i decided to take a YA registered teacher training course and now am a certified yoga teacher and also a member of the kripalu teacher's association.

i've been steadily busy trying to get my own studio opened up, and have realized it's alot of work trying to organize classes amongst such a diverse group of people. i've also realized that the more i've studies, the more i've wanted to learn more not only about yoga, but also about the body, and the more technical aspects of it.

i'm back in my hometown for the moment in canada, and have some time here before i head back to europe to open my studio, and was thinking of taking a fitness theory course...and also a basic power yoga teacher training. the only one i've found however, is a power yoga teacher training course offered by the YWCA. has anyone taken or heard of doing a teacher training from the YWCA?! i'm just bascially interested in getting to know more about power yoga, without getting too intensive about it, as my teaching style is hatha (with a kripalu twist).

well...i've definitely blabbered on enough, so thanks for reading! any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

namaste

kaliko

Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-09 4:34 PM (#14574 - in reply to #14555)
Subject: RE: pondering...need some advi

Namaste Kaliko,
too sorry I can't help you with your question ... but I'm helplessly curious: Whereabouts in Europe are you? Must be a very small town in a rather backward country if they don't have yoga studios there.
tourist
Posted 2005-01-09 7:01 PM (#14578 - in reply to #14555)

Expert Yogi

Welcome Kaliko - you can get great training at the Y (I've talked about this elsewhere) or terrible training. You'll have to check a bit more deeply, I think. The very first thing you should do is buy the Anatomy Colouring Book. If you don't know where to start, go to the area of your body you have personally injured or had trouble with. Follow the directions and do the colouring. It is very interesting
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-09 9:42 PM (#14583 - in reply to #14578)

Expert Yogi

Love that coloring book! And I did indeed start it out with places where I had had
injuries of one form or another. It's really helpful to see how things are actually put
together when you are practicing with healing in mind.

kaliko
Posted 2005-01-10 10:25 AM (#14607 - in reply to #14555)
Subject: RE: pondering...need some advice..

thanks for the advice guys!

I have the anatomy book...i used to use it back in university actually, but it has really come in handy during my yoga training.

Yes, I live in a small town north west of Milan. Small in the sense of small minded...and yes, it honestly has no yoga. They do tai-chi and indian dancing and stuff like that, but the only yoga teacher there was left 4 years ago...and since then there have been no classes.

I'm going to try and find out who's teaching the yoga course at the Y, and i'll do a nice google search.

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-10 11:27 AM (#14609 - in reply to #14607)
Subject: RE: pondering...need some advice..

Expert Yogi

If you don't mind travelling halfway to Venice, you could
study with Dona Holleman --- that's world-class yoga teaching.

http://www.donaholleman.com/index.htm

afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-10 3:22 PM (#14621 - in reply to #14555)

BG, I know for you Americans most European countries appear rather small and you guys are used to travel long distances. I really can't speak for Kaliko, it's not my business. Nevertheless, a commute from Milan to Venice a few times each week is a bit much just to go to class ... in my eyes.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-10 3:26 PM (#14622 - in reply to #14621)

Expert Yogi

No, not several times a week, but occasionally. Holleman seems
to do things primarily on a workshop basis anyway.
tourist
Posted 2005-01-11 7:40 PM (#14724 - in reply to #14607)

Expert Yogi

Yoga in Italy sounds like some sort of dream world - *sigh* I do know they have an active Iyengar association in Italy. There are tons of teachers listed at the BKS Iyengar site including someone named Orazio Stuccio in Milano.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)