YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Etiquette question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

athansor
Posted 2005-01-12 3:39 PM (#14770)
Subject: Etiquette question

Hi everyone

I'm a new mom with a 2 month old son, and am looking forward to returning to my yoga class. I took classes until about 6 weeks before the delivery, and am now doing yoga at home (sometimes following a post natal dvd, sometimes just doing my own home practice). My stituation is kind of odd, however. I live in a remote, rural area, and work in a small town about 25 miles away at a college campus. I'm able to bring my son to work with me, which is really nice. I had been taking yoga classes at the college (only yoga option for miles around, but luckily, with a real great teacher), where they are offered in the gymnasium.
I'd like to sign up again, and bring my son with me to class. Since the class is taught on the basketball courts, there is a lot of space, and I could hang out toward the back, where I could keep an eye on my son and stop to feed him if necessary. He's pretty quiet, and if he got fussy, I'd just step out of class so as not to disturb anyone. I can get the teachers OK, but I'm concerned that other students might find it upsetting or distracting. My other option is to stick with the home practice until he's a bit older, and then try to find someone to watch him so I can take a class. So, my question is, would you be bothered by a baby at your yoga class under these circumstances?

Edited by athansor 2005-01-12 3:40 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jebaz
Posted 2005-01-12 4:49 PM (#14774 - in reply to #14770)
Subject: RE: Etiquette question

I would ask the yoga teacher. I know some yoga studio's are real strick about cell phones and pagers. I have to bring my cell phone to class in case my kids school calls. I have it on vibrate. My teacher knows and is cool with it. Some studio's are agaist it Big Time! For me going to class is more than just doing the poses with someone to watch. It is a time and space to leave behind my 3 kids 5,3 and 2months. I know juggling kids is tough. I am a stay at home dad so they are my day each and every day. Since our last was born I have only made it to class 3x's I know the people in my class so I don't even ask about bringing our newest son. So I will ask you a couple qick questions. I think you know your answer all ready. Do you know the regulars at your yoga class and the teacher? I assume yes. What would they say? If one would be offened then don't do it. I would be more distracted by a baby than a cell phone but that's just me. Do you have a girlfriend who also is a new mom? You might trade off child care so that you can both get a break. Having a break from our children is a healthy thing to do. Trading with friends keeps the cost down and also address fears of strangers watching our little bundles of joy.
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-13 5:52 AM (#14804 - in reply to #14770)

Athansor, Im sorry to say But I don’t think this will work out..

1. You need lot of concentration on your breathing while you do posses and your attention to baby might be a disturbance to you. (Don’t forget we do most difficult asana easily with breathing techniques.)
2. If the baby start crying, others will get distracted, especially when the class is practicing pranayama.

Any way this is what I think.,
Orbilia
Posted 2005-01-13 6:33 AM (#14805 - in reply to #14804)

I don't suppose that there's a parents and children's yoga class near you is there? Your youngster's too youn to join in of course, but there'd be no worries about disturbance!

Fee
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-13 7:24 AM (#14808 - in reply to #14805)

Expert Yogi

I have seen a number of yoga classes oriented toward moms with babies and
moms with toddlers. It might take a bit of digging to find one, but they are out
there.
tourist
Posted 2005-01-13 10:09 AM (#14815 - in reply to #14770)

Expert Yogi

Although I am extremely in favour of mother/baby togetherness and new-mom yoga, it would drive me crazy to have a baby in class both as a teacher and a student. I would be the one offering to hold the baby for you while you practiced and end up not having a class myself Hope you can find a good solution
athansor
Posted 2005-01-13 12:07 PM (#14824 - in reply to #14770)

Thanks for the replys. I think that I'm just going to stick with home practice for a while.
That's one of the drawbacks of living in the middle of nowhere (but the benefits make up for it!)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)