YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Handstands
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-01-15 8:53 PM (#14970)
Subject: Handstands

Would someone please tell me what the freakin' Anusara facination (sp) with handstands is all about? I go to a particular Anusara class occasionally and it always includes handstands (about 3/4 of the way through class when my arms and shoulders have already had it) and I can never hold the ****ed freakin' handstand... and by then I don't even want to - regardless of the fact that everyone else can do them... this drives the teacher absolutely around the bend.

I have been able to do handstand in the past, but fell a couple of months ago and haven't been able to hold it since.,,,

just curious - btw, I'm not insulting Anusara, it just seems that this particular branch of yoga is handstand happy

Edited by Gruvemom 2005-01-15 8:54 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-15 11:21 PM (#14975 - in reply to #14970)
Subject: RE: Handstands

It does not matter whether it is handstand or legstand or headstand. It should not be done far beyond capacity, it is to be useful. So, you do not have to worry. Just do not do it if falls beyond your capacity.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-17 11:16 AM (#15015 - in reply to #14970)

Gruvemom - 2005-01-15 8:53 PM

Would someone please tell me what the freakin' Anusara facination (sp) with handstands is all about?

It's funny, but I have been pondering this question as well. I love handstands and it is one of the reasons I love anusara is because they do seem to focus a lot on it. So I began to wonder why?

Here are my thoughts (I don't know if they have any basis is reality):

First, as a teacher handstands are actually safer and easier to teach than headstands and easier to align than shoulderstands. The more I teach, the more I worry about my students and the more I find that headstands are scary because people just don't listen. No matter how many times you tell them not to kick up, they insist on kicking up. You tell them not to turn their heads and they immediately try to turn their heads. But with handstands they concentrate more and they don't risk hurting their necks as much. They hurt their toes and wrists more, but it's better than headstands.

Second, it favors the less flexible person that can't put their head on the floor and walk their feet in really close or can't keep their arms bent around their head. There is much less time with "preparation" poses and modifications. Almost everyone can do it against the wall and a few people can start to come away from the wall. It builds strength in the arms and shoulders that translates better to forearm and headstands...the opposite is not true: headstands and forearm stands do not prepare you as well for handstands.

Finally, a big point is that handstands are very good at illustrating the balance of Muscular and Organic energy that is the cornerstone of Anusara yoga. Muscular energy is that inward energy that contracts the muscles and pulls muscle onto bone and limbs into the sockets and draws your energy to your midline. All of which are essential to handstand. Equally as essential is the application of Organic energy. That which moves from the core out and shines and expands. It opens the heart and grows out in every direction. As you push into the floor and shine up through the balls of the toes you apply organic energy. When you are in handstand you really start experience that sensation of balance.

Anyway, that's what I've been thinking about...
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-01-17 12:00 PM (#15018 - in reply to #15015)

Thanks for the explanation, Keith... it's interesting and makes lots of sense... just wish I could pull my handstand back together... the problem with that, though, is that I'm not all that interested in achieving the pose for me, I'm more interested in getting the instructor off my back about it...

Meanwhile, I've gotten headstand (only if I go in through bakasana, though) and he hasn't said a word about it... of course, if he blinked, he might be missing it....
elson
Posted 2005-01-23 3:44 AM (#15396 - in reply to #15018)

Maybe a gentle private conversation could restore (or create) the rapport that you need to reach from your heart to your teacher's heart. Maybe he doesn't know that you aren't excited about achieving the ultimate handstand. Or maybe he has let slip that the yoga isn't about getting someplace, but about the joy of the journey.

I love my teacher - she is very mothering of us, never critical, always complimenting (or silent :-), never pushing against us, but always coming alongside of us & pushing with us.

Grace to you :-).

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-02-03 6:39 PM (#16044 - in reply to #15396)
Subject: Update

Oh, Elson, a belated thanks for your post.... this teacher is also a friend and we have been going back and forth about the handstand until it's almost a joke.

I did a handstand last night (yay me) w/ my teacher's help. my arms gave out and I nuttered myself once again, but I did hold it for a few breaths... meanwhile, he's telling me to look between my hands and spread my toes whilst squeezing his fist between my knees.

Once down, I politely invited him to spot me again and put his head between my knees and I'd be happy to squeeze until his head pops
bomberpig
Posted 2005-02-04 3:36 AM (#16062 - in reply to #15018)

Gruvemom - 2005-01-17 12:00 PM

'Thanks for the explanation, Keith... it's interesting and makes lots of sense... just wish I could pull my handstand back together... the problem with that, though, is that I'm not all that interested in achieving the pose for me, I'm more interested in getting the instructor off my back about it... '

- Like my astanga teacher said in class last night, all the asanas are just an illusion anyway.

'Meanwhile, I've gotten headstand (only if I go in through bakasana, though) and he hasn't said a word about it... of course, if he blinked, he might be missing it....'

- Wow I am impressed ! I have been trying to get from bakasana to headstand for months, just can't do it.

Edited by bomberpig 2005-02-04 3:38 AM
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-04 10:21 AM (#16068 - in reply to #16044)
Subject: RE: Update

Gruvemom - 2005-02-03 6:39 PM

Once down, I politely invited him to spot me again and put his head between my knees and I'd be happy to squeeze until his head pops

//Bad sexual innuendo from Bruce in 5, 4, 3, 2......

Edited by YogaGuy 2005-02-04 10:21 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)