YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Newbie - Need Answers
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

OURDILLER
Posted 2005-01-16 8:59 AM (#14979)
Subject: Yoga Newbie - Need Answers

Hi everyone. I am very new to Yoga and I am really interested in Ashtanga Yoga. I live in Guttenberg, NJ which is right across the river from NYC. I am looking for opinions for Ashtanga studios and/or teachers in NYC. I have quite a few questions and I apologize in advance for the lenght of this post. But I am researching this carefully before making my final decision.

I am visiting Yoga Sutra NYC whose Ashtanga class is taught my Christopher Hildebrandt. I am also going to visit Ashtanga Yoga Shala where Guy Donahaye is affiliated. As well as, Beryl Bender Birch's studio.

What advice or information can you give me on each of these facilities and/or teachers, particularly Yoga Sutra NYC (Christopher Hildebrandt). That studio is more convenient for me in terms of location.

And one final question regarding Beryl Bender Birch regarding her book Power-Yoga. I have heard that the title of the book is somewhat of a misnomer. That in fact her book and her studio teach classic Ashtanga Yoga and is not to be confused with Power-Yoga as taught by Baron Baptiste and others. Can anyone familiar with her and/or her studio clarify that for me?

Thanks for any input you can give.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-01-16 10:39 AM (#14980 - in reply to #14979)
Subject: RE: Yoga Newbie - Need Answers

Thomas--welcome to the forum and the world of yoga. I'm no help as to NYC but wanted to give you kudos as to researching and asking for input and just add one thing. Don't think of it as a final decision. If you're like most, you'll do lots of learning and sampling many aspects of the physical aspect of yoga. Subsequently, you'll see there's much more. It's a long journey but you're beginning on a sound footing and good direction. Afterall, as George Harrison wrote, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."
OURDILLER
Posted 2005-01-16 6:57 PM (#14987 - in reply to #14980)

Thanks Bruce for the kind words. I just picked up David Swenson's book tonight in an effort to further my research on Ashtanga Yoga. I plan to keep my mind open in this process. And it's very exciting to read about the various Yoga styles.

Thanks again for the input.
Divine
Posted 2005-01-16 7:55 PM (#14988 - in reply to #14979)

Hi welcome to the group. After trying different yoga styles, I too preferred Ashtanga to some of the other forms. I do like variety and change up on the weekends, but daily I follow the Ashtanga series.

I highly recommend going with an instructor that follows the Mysore teaching. I'm not sure about Beryl's power yoga and the video called "The Practice" didn't flow as well as other classes/videos I've tried.

YogaDancer
Posted 2005-01-17 5:13 PM (#15027 - in reply to #14988)

If you can get to Beryl's studio, I'd do it.
If I could claim a teacher as other seem to do so glibly, I would love to claim Beryl. She has a very pragmatic approach, looks at Ashtanga as something that feeds her soul, and just puts what she has to offer out there in a kind of here-it-is-take-what-you-want-and-leave-the-rest philosophy. At least that is my take.

I'm doing 2 weekends with her this spring and can't wait!
Christine
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-17 5:34 PM (#15029 - in reply to #14979)

OURDILLER - 2005-01-16 8:59 AM

What advice or information can you give me on each of these facilities and/or teachers, particularly Yoga Sutra NYC (Christopher Hildebrandt). That studio is more convenient for me in terms of location.

And one final question regarding Beryl Bender Birch regarding her book Power-Yoga. I have heard that the title of the book is somewhat of a misnomer. That in fact her book and her studio teach classic Ashtanga Yoga and is not to be confused with Power-Yoga as taught by Baron Baptiste and others. Can anyone familiar with her and/or her studio clarify that for me?

I have taken classes with Chris Hildebrandt. He is awesome. I definitely recommend him. Be warned he is from the classic ashtanga school of deep adjustments. There is seldom a simplified version of the poses in his class. So you're in for a penny in for a pound.

Beryl is another real ashtanga person...despite the "power" terminology. I have never taken class with her, but I liked her books.

Yoga Sutra is supposed to be the most beautiful yoga studio in the city right now, I am going there in a couple of weeks and can't wait. I hear such great things about it. I took classes from Chris when he ran the ashtanga program at Karma Yoga. I hear Yoga Sutra blows that out of the water.

I have a lot of friends that are starting to practice at Yoga Sutra and loving it...so I wouldn't hesitate about going there if I were you, Thomas. I don't think Chris is known on the national level like Beryl Bender Birch but within the ashtanga community especially in New York, he is held in very high regard. He goes at least a couple of times every year to study with Sri. K in Mysore and has been teaching around NYC for a quite a while.

YogaDancer
Posted 2005-01-17 8:00 PM (#15037 - in reply to #14979)

Yoga Guy is right.

Everyone should read Beryl's book Power Yoga, just like anyone practicing yoga should read The Heart of Yoga. They are fabulous. Unfortunately the term "Power Yoga" has become another misused literary term, just like that of "the Ugly American." (Which is a heart-warming short story about Viet Nam.)

Beryl refers to the power within, not the nutty, jerk yourself about and rely on momentum to carry you through practices that so many "Power" yoga classes are.

Beryl is one of the first westerners to study Ashtanga with Pattabhi. She teaches Ashtanga and teaches it beautifully.
OURDILLER
Posted 2005-01-18 8:20 AM (#15058 - in reply to #14979)

Bruce, Divine, Yoga Guy and Yoga Dancer - thank all of you for your responses.

Keith, I am so glad to hear that Chris Hildebrandt is a great teacher. His studio is much more convenient for me to get to. Beryl's studio is a little far uptown for regular practice. But at some point I think I would like to take a class or two with her. I was in Border's yesterday looking at some Yoga books and saw her DVD and picked it up. But too advanced for me right now. Will just watch it until I'm ready.

Keith, since you have attended Chris' classes before, do you think I should start with his Ashtanga class or begin with one of the Iyengar or Vinyasa classes offered at his studio?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)