YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

good books
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2005-01-18 8:50 AM (#15059)
Subject: good books

my husband left last friday for india. he is on his own yoga quest for 4-6 months !!!. this means that i have a lot of extra time to hit the books. i have a huge order in with amazon. i have decided to give up all dinners with friends, excursions and extras for books!

I AM ON A MISSION!!

while i wait for my order, i have been going through the shelves for some oldies but goodies.

i wanted to recommend a couple books for those interested.

the first one is YOGA PSYCHOLOGY by Swami Abhedananda

a great companion to the yoga sutras.

this book helped me so much last year.

the second one is EASTERN BODY, WESTERN MIND: Psychology and the Chakra System by Anodea Judith

what can i say about this one...psychology, spirituality and metaphysics. very interesting reading.

at the moment i am reading AUTOBIOGRAPHY of a YOGI by Paramahansa Yogananda

i will let you know about that one a little later on!!

SOOOOO.....whatcha readin'???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-01-18 1:43 PM (#15071 - in reply to #15059)
Subject: RE: good books

i have decided to give up all dinners with friends, excursions and extras for books!<<

I know I just metcha, but have you lost your ever lovin' mind??? It's gonna be a loooooonnnnngger 4-6 months! And it's winter!

To answer your question: recent good books include - East of Eden by Steinbeck, 5 people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom (not on a par w/ Teusdays' w/ Maury) anything by Ann Rivers Siddons, The Good Earth and Peony (that's 2 books) by Pearl S Buck, and magazines... I love magazines... Oh, and the Traveller Series by Diana Gabaldon.

Posted 2005-01-18 2:45 PM (#15072 - in reply to #15071)

One of the most amazing books I've ever read is "Instance at the Fingerpost" by Iain Pears.
Amazon .com says: "An Instance of the Fingerpost is that rarest of all possible literary beasts--a mystery powered as much by ideas as by suspects, autopsies, and smoking guns. Hefty, intricately plotted, and intellectually ambitious, Fingerpost has drawn the inevitable comparisons to Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose and, for once, the comparison is apt. "
LoraB
Posted 2005-01-18 3:12 PM (#15073 - in reply to #15059)

Funnily enough, just got back from the bookstore on my lunch hour...There are so many good ones to choose from right now!

Blink, by the guy that wrote The Tipping Point, looks really interesting and I'd love to read it and draw some connections to yoga practice. It's an exploration of how people think, and make complex decisions in the "blink of an eye". It goes into how some people are wired to make good decisions and quickly, while others need to ruminate a bit more. Veddy veddy interesting...

Another goodie looked to be Nick Hornby's latest. It's a series of essays based on the books he buys in a month versus the books he actually reads in a month. Mini literary criticisms that from the couple I scanned look to be amusing if you're into intelligent, somewhat dry humour.

I'm also reading Autobiography of a Yoga. Truthfully, I've been reading it for, oh, 8 months. I would read a bit, and then put it down for a couple weeks, and during that time the information would just kind of soak into my brain. It seems that every time I read a bit I end up learning a lesson similar to what I've just read about. It's not exactly a page-turner, but still very good.

Enjoy all your time to read! Lucky you! I'm with Melissa on this one though, HOW can you give up all dinners w/ friends???? Are you just going to read a couple books quickly and then hibernate for the rest of the time?
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-18 10:31 PM (#15095 - in reply to #15059)

easternsun - 2005-01-19 7:50 PM

I AM ON A MISSION!!

All the best Kira! I wish if I also can take some 2 weeks off and go for a Yoga workshop or something and read lot of books. But this never happens

BTW can anybody suggest a good translation of Yoga Sutra ?? The one I have is not so good.

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-18 10:55 PM (#15097 - in reply to #15059)

Thushara:
I am thinking of writing one of Translation. Commentary shall take me a long time, however I shall be giving lectures on Patanjali in Arlington VA for next 4 months. See www.sunandmoonstudio.com.

Which languages you know?

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-18 11:07 PM (#15098 - in reply to #15097)

Im ok very fluent in Sinhala, Ok with English , Pali(to some extend - ( with English or Sinhala lettering as it has no alphabet on its own., Its written in Sanskrit ) Sanskril -( Little.- Have learnt in school )

very vey very little Greek too

Im sure your translation will be a very good one., Can I wait for it ? When are you planning to release it ?

Just 1 more question Kulkarnn., do you visit India for any workshops like this ?

Edited by Thushara 2005-01-18 11:37 PM
easternsun
Posted 2005-01-19 1:13 AM (#15105 - in reply to #15071)

Gruvemom - 2005-01-19 3:43 AM

i have decided to give up all dinners with friends, excursions and extras for books!<<

I know I just metcha, but have you lost your ever lovin' mind??? It's gonna be a loooooonnnnngger 4-6 months! And it's winter!

i guess i should explain that english language books are NOT cheap and dinner at a restaurant here is always split equally. that means that even if i dont drink much or eat meat, i still end up paying for it. not to mention that food in japan is really quite expensive. japan is really expensive.

i will still cook for my friends at home. i am trying to look at it like i am going to school for awhile. it is also a good practice for me to be unattached. unattched to social events, coffee, shopping. IT IS ONLY HALF A YEAR......SORRY MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK I AM NOT YELLING!!

I ADORE READING MAGAZINES FROM HOME BUT AT 8-10 US DOLLARS PER 'ZINE, IT IS VERY, VERY RARE THAT I GET THE CHANCE TO READ THEM.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS I AM ALREADY SAVING FOR MY NEXT TRIP TO INDIA (WITH HUBBY) SO I TEND TO PINCH MY YEN THESE DAYS!! I EVEN TELL MY STUDENTS WHEN THEY PAY ME THAT THEY ARE PERSONALLY SPONSORING MY NEXT TRIP
easternsun
Posted 2005-01-19 1:29 AM (#15106 - in reply to #15073)

LoraB - 2005-01-19 5:12 AM

I'm also reading Autobiography of a Yoga. Truthfully, I've been reading it for, oh, 8 months. I would read a bit, and then put it down for a couple weeks, and during that time the information would just kind of soak into my brain. It seems that every time I read a bit I end up learning a lesson similar to what I've just read about. It's not exactly a page-turner, but still very good.

Enjoy all your time to read! Lucky you! I'm with Melissa on this one though, HOW can you give up all dinners w/ friends???? Are you just going to read a couple books quickly and then hibernate for the rest of the time?

i know what you mean - it isnt a quick read but i really enjoy indian writers. they have such a way with words. it may take awhile for my review of this one!

as for hibernation, not possible! i shop daily for food, take classes in ikebana, meditation, buddhism, and japanese cooking. i figure if i keep myself busy i wont miss him so much!
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-19 6:44 AM (#15114 - in reply to #15106)

easternsun - 2005-01-19 12:29 PM
as for hibernation, not possible! i shop daily for food, take classes in ikebana, meditation, buddhism, and japanese cooking. i figure if i keep myself busy i wont miss him so much!

Kira,

Its nice to hear that you are interested in Ikebana. So you can do beautiful flower arrangements by now ????
I love it so much and it is my hobby some times., But I have not learnt anything formal related to that,. So when I do an arrangement, I don’t know whether its Ikebana or something else, I just look at pictures, Collect flowers and leaves from the garden and just do the way I like., Nice thing in that is, I can do arrangements even with 2 wooden sticks and some leaves. I like when people admire those.. I like if I can learn techniques too. You said you go to a class to learn Ikebana right? So do they teach you many different types of arrangements? Do you learn a lot from a class? I’m just wondering., So far I thought what you need is your talent and you just think and do it freely the way you want . But I think there must be so much more to that., That’s the reason you go to a class right ? Do you have pictures of the arrangements you have done?

BTW , One of my very good friends was in Japan studying there. She was always telling me how beautiful Japan is , About friendly people and of course like you said how expensive the food and living there.
I have never been to Japan but as how I see in Pictures I see it’s a very beautiful country. I have watched Oshin 2 times and I like that movie ., It’s a very famous story about a Japanese girl who was going through a very hard time in her life and how she win her life alone with the courage she has.. Have you watched Oshin?? I think it’s quite old tele series.

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-01-19 8:58 PM (#15146 - in reply to #15098)

very vey very little Greek too
<<

Thushara, just because you can order Souvlaki and an Ouzo doesn't mean you speak Greek!
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-01-19 9:00 PM (#15147 - in reply to #15105)

i guess i should explain that english language books are NOT cheap and dinner at a restaurant here is always split equally. that means that even if i dont drink much or eat meat, i still end up paying for it. not to mention that food in japan is really quite expensive. japan is really expensive. <<

OOOhhhhhh, I missed the whole Japan part! I thought you were snow bound in Montana or something! well, then, carry on!

Thushara
Posted 2005-01-19 10:33 PM (#15151 - in reply to #15146)

Duplicate post problem again .. Bruce, this happens when you click the back button in the browser and edit a post.

Edited by Thushara 2005-01-19 10:41 PM
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-19 10:35 PM (#15153 - in reply to #15146)

just because you can order Souvlaki and an Ouzo doesn't mean you speak Greek!

Yep I Agree., Actually its just an expression and a small joke I made there. You can see the smiley there right ?????

Its Not to say that I know Greek., Here, when you say "you know little Greek " means you just understand the things which cant be understood by others sort of a thing.
Im sorry., It doesn’t mean to say I can speak Greek., And any way I don’t think I’m lucky enough or smart enough to learn any of those European languages..,
I had no choice and I had to learn English. Still lot more to improve.

But I wish One day if I can learn Greek actually., Coz In the history, Like India has been the Land for most of the great philosophers who brought lot of great religious philosophies to the world, Greece has been the land for great philosophers who brought lot of scientific theories to this world. Any way it must be a quite interesting language. Some times when I refer to the dictionary, I see most of the English words are taken from Greek language., Specially the medical terms.

I don’t know what Souvlaki and an Ouzo any way.

Edited by Thushara 2005-01-19 10:36 PM
easternsun
Posted 2005-01-20 12:29 AM (#15156 - in reply to #15147)

Gruvemom - 2005-01-21 11:00 AM

OOOhhhhhh, I missed the whole Japan part! I thought you were snow bound in Montana or something! well, then, carry on!

i wish i was snow bound in montana!! i love snow! actually, i think it is ice hockey i miss the most

the amazon order arrived today so the mission begins! i ordered the anatomy colouring book and it looks really cool. cant wait to get out the pencil crayons.
easternsun
Posted 2005-01-20 12:56 AM (#15157 - in reply to #15114)

Thushara - 2005-01-20 8:44 PM

Its nice to hear that you are interested in Ikebana. So you can do beautiful flower arrangements by now ????

ikebana: http://www.ohararyu.or.jp/english/ikebana/ikebana.htm

i practice two types ikenobo http://www.ikebana.org/Schools/Ikenobo1.html

the other is moribana : http://www.valentine.gr/ikebana3_en.htm

my teacher is one of the best in the country (has her own national tv show) so i feel incredibly honoured to be able to study with her. it takes a great deal of concentration (looks so much easier than it really is!!) it takes years of study to become good at it.

it is quite meditative. that is one benefit. also, i always have fresh flowers in the house. we always use the seasons best (just like cooking!). i really love it!

i will try to post some pictures of my creations on here soon!

i havent seen oshin - i will try to look for it at the video shop.

in a way, i think of my ikebana practice as part of my yoga practice AND i have even converted my teacher from late night television infomercial exercise machines (she has a whole room full of the stuff!) over to yoga. it's all good!
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-20 10:42 PM (#15226 - in reply to #15157)

Kira,

Thanks a lot for sharing these., 1 site is very informative., Now I have more questions for you about asymmetric arrangements. But this will be a disturbance for others if we start talking Ikebana here., Im sure I will try some of these I see in pictures.

Thnaks again.

easternsun
Posted 2005-01-21 8:00 AM (#15245 - in reply to #15059)
Subject: my first review

the first book is finished...yes, i must remember to pace myself!!

me, a hot bath and paul grilley's YIN YOGA outline of a quiet practice.

paperback, 118 pages (including his bio) although i will say there are large margins and only an average of 1-4 paragraphs per page, plus pages of black and white photos.

i picked this book because i have read some really positive feedback on his dvd and because of an article on yoga journal:

http://www.yogajournal.com/teacher/1439_1.cfm

summary - yang yoga focuses on muscles, yin yoga focuses on connective tissues. yin postures are held longer with the muscles relaxed.

he descibes briefly the modern meridian theory in which, the meridians of acupunture are currents flowing through connective tissues of the body.

i think i was expecting the book to be much more about anatomical theory of yoga relating to connective tissue. that is why we should never have expectations!

the book contains sample routines, instructions on how to do the poses and black and white photos of each pose.

the poses have names foreign to me: shoelace, saddle, snail, etc. but some of the poses look similar to asanas by another name. similiar but different.

there is a large bibliography, so if you are looking for any in-depth info, you are referred to another book.

this is so silly - but mr grilley's wife is the model for the poses and she is wearing an arm band of some kind. i kept looking at the arm band in the pics because i am always asking my students to remove their jewellery.

here is a bit from the back of the book:

connective tissue does not stretch like muscle and will not respond well to brief stresses. in addition, yin yoga better prepares people for meditation. for yoga practitioners looking for something beyond ohysical postures, yin yoga addresses the deeper spiritual dimensions of yoga, with helpful sections on chakras, breathing exercises and meditation.

chakras : 9 pages
breath & meditation : 5 pages
bibliography: 6 pages

the title is accurate in that this book is an overview. that is about it.

would i buy it again? nope. do i still want to see the dvd? yup.

Posted 2005-01-21 2:05 PM (#15267 - in reply to #15245)
Subject: RE: my first review

I gotta know, why do you ask your students to remove their jewlery?
bomberpig
Posted 2005-01-21 7:15 PM (#15293 - in reply to #15059)

easternsun
the second one is EASTERN BODY, WESTERN MIND: Psychology and the Chakra System by Anodea Judith

what can i say about this one...psychology, spirituality and metaphysics. very interesting reading.

SOOOOO.....whatcha readin'???

Hey Easternsun, I am reading this book at the moment ! It is pretty amazing stuff. I have just finished reading the chapter on the root chakra. I think I am going to discover that all my chakras are blocked somehow which is somewhat depressing.

Also just bought TKV Desikacher's 'Heart of Yoga', can't wait to start reading this one...
easternsun
Posted 2005-01-22 2:06 AM (#15299 - in reply to #15267)
Subject: RE: my first review

Bruce - 2005-01-22 4:05 AM

I gotta know, why do you ask your students to remove their jewlery?

good question! why do i do that? probably the same reason i tell them to tie back their hair. nothing like a pendant dangling in the face to break your concentration during inversions

am i alone on this one?
easternsun
Posted 2005-01-22 2:09 AM (#15300 - in reply to #15293)

bomberpig - 2005-01-22 9:15 AM

Hey Easternsun, I am reading this book at the moment ! It is pretty amazing stuff. I have just finished reading the chapter on the root chakra. I think I am going to discover that all my chakras are blocked somehow which is somewhat depressing.

Also just bought TKV Desikacher's 'Heart of Yoga', can't wait to start reading this one...

yeah, i know what you mean! i started doing some deep self-analysis!! i thought this book could be really benefical for expecting mothers....do you agree?

please tell me about 'heart of yoga' when you finish!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)