YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is touching involved in yoga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-22 10:27 PM (#15373 - in reply to #15244)
Subject: RE: Is touching involved in yo

Expert Yogi

Thushara - 2005-01-21 7:50 AM

You will like "Bride and Prejudice" for sure ! Its quite nice.

I will have to track that one down.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lakhesis
Posted 2005-01-25 4:37 AM (#15511 - in reply to #15134)
Subject: RE: Is touching involved in yoga?

Perhaps more an aggressive foot shove than a 'kick' perse? Either way, she's a pretty nasty peice of work on occasion: lots of chastising of students, favouritism, etc... Being in her class just defeats the purpose of doing yoga for me.
Actually, far more than kicking, her most annoying quality is insisting on holding poses for a certain number of counts, but then counting completely out of time. All my experiences with her have been very jarring.
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-25 6:34 AM (#15517 - in reply to #15511)

Its very rude

LoraB
Posted 2005-01-25 12:59 PM (#15531 - in reply to #15134)
Subject: RE: Is touching involved in yoga?

So you go back to the class because....?
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-01-26 7:55 PM (#15634 - in reply to #15145)

I understand the not touching and "getting over it" is sometimes not an option.
I spent quite a while teaching victims of domestic (and sometimes sexual) abuse. Touching is a HUGE deal and sometimes people do NOT get over it.

Ahtanga is one of the most touch-intensive traditions there is. Guruvemom's experience is unusual, as it is with her Anusara. Interestingly enough, although John Friend will adjust, the teacher training is such that it wants the teachers to be able to verbally adjust, so students can do it at home. Mix an Ashtanga teacher in with an Anusara teacher and you get a touchy Anusara teacher or an Ashtanga teacher who talks too much. I'm here to tell you!

As far as talking to a teacher about touching? The teacher should honor that without question. As far as being jealous and insecure about a BF leering at other women in yoga? Let me break it to you, honey: if he's gonna do it with YOu in the room, he's doing more outside the studio when you're not around. You cannot control and manipulate the world so a BF isn't a leech. I'd investigate the (lack of) health of this relationship.

Imagine being so busy watching for a BF's erection that you can't enjoy your own practice? Geeze. What if it's worse? That he is actually interested in doing yoga and your insecurities ruin that chance and experience for him. I'd suggest he take a different class because YOU feel uncomfortable.

I, too, live to be adjusted. My hand is in the air so fast the teacher's head spins when s/he needs someone for a demo. The pragmatic, genderless treatment of the human body is something that I really respect. After all, we all have bodies, right? They're just different.

After I was molested (several times) by a major yoga figure, it was the male teachers in my Ashtanga studio and their very general approach removed that discomfort and fear that figure had engendered. I'll be ever grateful to them for that.

I had a teacher that poked with a long fingernail. Finally, being who I am, I grabbed her finger and said, "Suzie-Q? You can bend me, twist me, step on me, stand on me, pull me, and tie me up any way you see fit. But if you poke me again, I'm gonna break that finger off. Are my sentiments about adjustments clear?" Evidently they are.

Touching happens. In life, in yoga, with humans. It's the intention that counts.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)