YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kirtan/Krishna Das Concert
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

bomberpig
Posted 2005-01-20 5:12 AM (#15170)
Subject: Kirtan/Krishna Das Concert

I was going to post in the other link ( yes Bay Guy ) but it appeared to have been frozen. Anyway can anyone tell me what actually happens in a Krishna Das concert ? Do the audience chant along ? It's just that I want to drag a friend along so I want to give her ample warning. I don't know anything about kirtan as such apart from that it is devotional chanting. I do some chanting to Tibetan mantras that's about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-20 7:15 AM (#15178 - in reply to #15170)
Subject: RE: Kirtan/Krishna Das Concert

Expert Yogi

Hmmm, I wonder why that link was frozen? Maybe b/c our discussion of comparitive
religion had drifted off to KD and cricket? The general topic had been running for
many many months.

Anyway, at a Krishna Das concert, he leads the group in Kirtan. Kirtan is call-and-response
chanting of simple Sanskrit or Hindi phrases, like Om nama Sivaya or Sri Ram Jai Ram
Jai Jai Ram. He plays harmonium and is usually accompanied by percussion (typically
Tablas and related instruments). He'll sit at the front of the room, everyone else sits
facing him, usually up pretty close (I've sat close enough put my hand on him),
and usually everyone is sitting on the floor.

The chants start slow and with simple melodies to give the group a chance to pick up
the words and the tune. Then he starts speeding up and throwing in variations to the
melody. It works up a lot of energy in the singing (I've heard comparisons to Ray
Charles, the Blues, and Gospel, although his that's not quite the music he's doing).
This gets to be really fun, and often rather moving.

Musically, KD seems to have his roots in rock-n-roll.

Posted 2005-01-20 7:51 AM (#15179 - in reply to #15178)

Frozen topics I beieve occur when a certain max point is achieved--think it's 8 pages. As far as I know, there's no problem starting another one with the same or similar topic.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-20 9:22 AM (#15180 - in reply to #15179)

Expert Yogi

Glad to hear that the thread was frozen for a reason independent of its content.
I'm sure that line of discussion will continue.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-20 10:57 AM (#15188 - in reply to #15170)

bomberpig - 2005-01-20 5:12 AM

I was going to post in the other link ( yes Bay Guy ) but it appeared to have been frozen. Anyway can anyone tell me what actually happens in a Krishna Das concert ? Do the audience chant along ? It's just that I want to drag a friend along so I want to give her ample warning. I don't know anything about kirtan as such apart from that it is devotional chanting. I do some chanting to Tibetan mantras that's about it.

I just went last Friday night, the 14th, to a Krishna Das Kirtan. It was my first one and it was great. I love peoplewatching and that certainly was a great opportunity to see some really fun people. I was expecting more of the young yoga crowd but it turned out to be more old hippies.

As for the "what happens." It reminded me of being in college when we would sit around in our dorm rooms and play guitar and sing songs. This particular Kirtan was held in a gym. KD and the band set up and everybody sat on the floor. People that knew this brought blankets and cushions, the rest of us tried to get comfortable by balling up our coats and sitting on them. Anyway, if you've ever heard some of his music in class, it sounds the same. They had a cheat sheet available with the chants on it (not in any order). He sings/chants for a while then everybody joins in. It's a call and response style. It's fun and easy and there is no pressure to sing if you don't want to and no self consciousness.

There are a couple of things that distinguished this from a "regular" concert. First, you chant OM at the beginning. Second, there wasn't clapping between songs (although this may vary in your town).

It's fun and enjoyable but if you're not used to seeing a bunch of hippies chanting "Hare Krishna" you might find it "weird."
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-20 9:03 PM (#15217 - in reply to #15188)

YogaGuy - 2005-01-20 4:57 PM
There are a couple of things that distinguished this from a "regular" concert. First, you chant OM at the beginning. Second, there wasn't clapping between songs (although this may vary in your town).

I guess that's because of the religious content of the music. As far as I know one isn't supposed to applaud at concerts in christian churches as well. Except it's a "worldly" concert.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-20 9:40 PM (#15222 - in reply to #15217)

Expert Yogi

No, actually the reason people don't applaud is that they are all part of the
"performance" too, and everyone stops to catch their breath between chants.
That, and the fact that people often wind up clapping while they sing, or
sometimes standing up and dancing. The comparison to church music is
pretty weak, unless you happen to be a black Southern Baptist.

Kirtan isn't like some solemn "Ave Maria" or "Angus Dei" or even something
drippy like "Silent Night". Think ecstatic, okay?

So far as applause as a reward to the performer, I've seen people give KD flowers,
hugs, and handshakes. Usually, he's pretty open to some interaction when he's done.
tourist
Posted 2005-01-21 9:43 AM (#15247 - in reply to #15222)

Expert Yogi

Now you've got me wondering if I have ever applauded at kirtan. Obviously I haven't attended many but they are much as you describe. On the other hand, we have sung some Latin devotional songs (don't know if you would call them hymns or not) at kirtan in the past. Latin is a wonderful language to sing. Kirtan is fun for music lovers!
sirensong2
Posted 2005-01-21 5:09 PM (#15284 - in reply to #15247)

i loooove kirtan! just a totally pressure free way to sing with folks. & it feels great!

p.s. there are loads of christian denominations that sing in a similar vein..w/cheer! orthodox and more traditional catholic services tend to be beautifully solemn, though.
bomberpig
Posted 2005-01-22 5:10 AM (#15309 - in reply to #15284)

Well I asked my friend if she would be interested in coming to the KD concert ( armed with all the wonderful info from you guys ). Unfortunately she has a problem with her hip/ilioitibial band in one leg, and cannot sit for long on a cushion on the floor. is it an option for her to lie down or sit in a chair during the concert ? ( I hope the concert hasn't sold out... )

Edited by bomberpig 2005-01-22 5:16 AM
bomberpig
Posted 2005-01-22 5:20 AM (#15311 - in reply to #15170)

Oh I also assume that this is not 'religious' right ? ( My friend and I aren't into any organised religions )
tourist
Posted 2005-01-22 10:09 AM (#15323 - in reply to #15311)

Expert Yogi

Janet - as yoga folk are usually very accepting, it should be possible to get a chair for her if you explain it to the organisers. AS for religion - well, it is very spiritual and very much depends on the person's understanding of "religion". If she is one of those people who won't "om" because it feels like religion then it is not a good place for her. If she more broad in her definition, then she will be ok. Mostly it is just a really good time.Have fun!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-22 10:29 PM (#15374 - in reply to #15323)

Expert Yogi

Every time I've done Kirtan with KD, there have been chairs around the walls
or toward the back. What happens at your place will depend on the people
hosting, most likely. Give 'em a call a few days beforehand to make sure.
Maybe bring a folding chair?
bomberpig
Posted 2005-01-23 6:11 PM (#15442 - in reply to #15170)

Well guys I've booked the tickets. Shall let you know in a few weeks how the concert goes.
bomberpig
Posted 2005-02-17 7:16 AM (#17083 - in reply to #15442)

Well just came back from the concert. What can I say... it was interesting. The people there were mostly pretty regular looking types, a few yoga types and a few orange robes. The floor space was full by the time my friend and I got there so we settled for the chairs. Quite enjoyed the first hour or so, you can really feel the energy happening. Then it all kinda got a bit monotonous. The chairs were placed too close together and my friend kept getting repeatedly shoved by the woman next to her, who was also singing very loudly into my friend's eardrums. Anyway we left early because I am starving and tired and, well, had had enough. Have decided I am glad I experienced kirtan but it is not really my thing.
tourist
Posted 2005-02-17 7:18 PM (#17107 - in reply to #17083)

Expert Yogi

Smaller groups and people who more or less know each other make kirtan quite different, I think. More like the difference between sitting around with a few friends and a guitar and going to a rock concert
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-17 10:20 PM (#17118 - in reply to #17107)

Expert Yogi

Bomberpig --- Sorry to hear that the Kirtan didn't ring your bell. I can sympathize about
having someone yelling in your ear, of course! The last time I saw KD he had the PA
system cranked up a bit too loud and we had to ask him to lower it. The group energy
is the whole thing, so I agree with Tourist about the size of the venue. I've never been with
more than about 100 or 150 people, and sometimes as few as 30, when I've seen KD.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)