YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

practice yoga after surgery
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

china_yoga
Posted 2005-01-20 4:05 PM (#15202)
Subject: practice yoga after surgery

Can someone tell me how long I should wait after a surgery before I can resume the yoga practice?

Thank you very much!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-01-20 4:50 PM (#15207 - in reply to #15202)
Subject: RE: practice yoga after surgery

That's a much too complicated question to answer here China--best to consult the doctor performing the surgery.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-01-21 12:43 PM (#15259 - in reply to #15202)

What type of surgery are you having? There are probably some gentle yoga-based things you can do to ease the healing process, especially breathing exercises and relaxation. The poses you'll be able to do will depend a lot upon what type of surgery, how drastic, etc. Your doctor might not know a lot about yoga, so what you may want to do is get some recommendations from a good yoga teacher, then run them by your doctor and see if he thinks they sound okay.

I would be very keen to hear more from you, as I am a teacher looking to design a post-surgical yoga program. My main interest is in women's health, especially women experiencing partial or full hysterectomy. I had a partial myself about 6 years ago, and I wish someone had worked with me to ease some of the side effects of surgical recovery. Any input would be very much appreciated!
china_yoga
Posted 2005-01-22 2:45 PM (#15344 - in reply to #15259)

Thanks Bruce and Jeans. Actually it is my friends who have the questions. One is about to deliver a baby, the other has just undergone a surgery on the thyroid gland.
tourist
Posted 2005-01-22 8:38 PM (#15354 - in reply to #15344)
Subject: RE: practice yoga after surger

Expert Yogi

Usually after normal (ie. uncomplicated, unmedicated, vaginal) birth I believe the suggested wait time is 6 weeks. My DD had half of her thyroid removed and wanted restorative poses within a couple of days but nothing that stretched her throat in any way. Supta baddha konasana, savasana on support, forward bend with two chairs (sit on one chair, knees wide, lie the upper body on blankets on the second chair, head support) and some super gentle chair twists. But she was young (20) and had a "textbook" perfect surgery. Poses like that would be fine for post-birth too, but it would be helpful to have a solid grounding on how to set them up and get in and out of them safely. Savasana is almost always ok
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)