YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nicky Knoff
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Lakhesis
Posted 2005-01-21 2:52 AM (#15238)
Subject: Nicky Knoff

Does anyone have any experience, either workshopping or teacher training, with Nicky Knoff?
(www.nickyknoffyoga.com)
A close friend and fellow yoga junkie absolutely loves and endorses her. The appeal for me is that she's clearly very strict, has an Iyengar-based form philosophy with a dynamic and flowing style and there's an emphasis on Pranayama and meditation as being equally as vital as asana.
Am keen to get feedback: I'm thinking of doing her foundational teacher training course in New Zealand in October, and I'll be going to a workshop in Cairns in June to see if I connect with her style. In the meantime, any experiences would be great to hear about!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
twisti
Posted 2005-01-23 4:07 PM (#15429 - in reply to #15238)
Subject: RE: Nicky Knoff

I did Nicky Knoffs foundation course in June/July of last year in Cairns.

I was also attracted to it because of her strictness and extensive background. The course was good but I wouldn't rave about it.... alot of the other students also had some negative comments... a few loved it.

Nicky and her partner James are working on improving some aspects of the course so by the time you do it it should be a bit more smoothed out.

See how you like the workshop and see how you 'connect' with her (IF you connect with her.) She is a very harsh teacher, you will find out everything you are doing wrong (and perhaps one thing you are doing right) but you will learn alot!

Hope that helps.
Lakhesis
Posted 2005-01-25 4:42 AM (#15512 - in reply to #15238)

Thankyou!
This sort of feedback is just what I need!
I'll definately go and do a vworkshop with her before I sign up: can't think of much worse than 8 weeks intensive yoga with a teacher I don't get along with!
twisti
Posted 2005-01-25 8:48 AM (#15526 - in reply to #15238)

Exactly! What is your background lakhesis and how long have you been practicing for?

If you are a 'tough nut' you will be fine... however if you are a little emotional you could end up in tears. Alot of people ending up crying in class. Nicky will push you to the edge and alot of stuff may come up. This can be both good and bad depending on how it is dealt with.....

On the other hand Cairns is a beautiful place!

k
Lakhesis
Posted 2005-01-30 12:49 AM (#15781 - in reply to #15238)

Sorry its been a while since I've posted! I've been moving house and things.
My yoga experience is possibly slightly unusual, in that I got 'hooked' almost immediately after my first good class, and I'm in a situation where I can go to class every morning since I start work later in the day. So, basically, I've been doing 5-6 asana classes a week for around 8 months, and I've improved beyond belief in every pose I undertake.
More recently, my interest has veered also to yogic philosophy, so I'm treading through the ocean of Putanjalis sutras and regularly meditate. I'm meaning to do more work in pranayama.
Emotionally, I'm very curious and transformative, so being 'pushed' is sort of what I like. After years and years of emotional supression though, I still find it a little hard to cry in front of people, but this isn't a concern for Nicky's training: I'd be more than ready for some big shifts.
When did you do the training? And is her style as distinct as she says it is?
twisti
Posted 2005-01-30 12:37 PM (#15791 - in reply to #15429)

twisti - 2005-01-23 4:07 PM

I did Nicky Knoffs foundation course in June/July of last year in Cairns.

Well you might get alot from her course by the sounds of it ..... Any course is a learning experience though.

Her style is primarily Iyengar but she focuses alot more on breath than a traditional Iyengar teacher would (speficially the bandhas.)

Just a quickie cos I am in a rush today

twisti
Posted 2005-03-06 2:04 PM (#18341 - in reply to #15238)

Oh I forgot to mention... Nicky loves virasana and supta virasana so make sure you are comfortable in this pose. I swear she had us lying in supta virasana for 10-15 mins at a time, I could barely move my legs afterwards!!!

Be sure to let me know how you go with it.
Lakhesis
Posted 2005-03-06 11:57 PM (#18365 - in reply to #15238)

Some of my favourite poses!!!! I'm seriously glad to know this!
Thanks again twisti!!!
twisti
Posted 2005-03-07 12:29 AM (#18368 - in reply to #15238)

Well you might wanna through in some headstands and shoulderstands cos you do them for up to 10-15mins also...

In the meditation, we sat about 20 mins without moving which can also be hard on the legs if you are not used to it!!

This is from "My Yoga Journey" from my website:

"I was lead back to Susie and her teacher Nicky Knoff in June 2004 to complete an intensive eight week training course. After over a decade of self practice I finally felt ready to take the final leap. Nicky had studied with many teachers over a number of years, it was this broad range of experience that drew me to the course."

"The training itself was Iyengar based and covered all the aspects of pranayama (breathing), asana (postures) and meditation. Physically it was hard but it was the mental along with emotional stuff that almost made me give up. It was an intense overwhelming experience but I made it through, as did all the other amazing teacher trainees who completed the course with me."

"Nicky's aggressive style taught me many important lessons, ones that I am not likely to forget in a hurry."

Hope that helps.

k
Lakhesis
Posted 2005-03-07 1:50 AM (#18371 - in reply to #15238)

Hmmm... I can't do head stands!
Shoulder stands I'm fine with, but the head stand will have to be worked on!
Ya got me all scared now!
But in an excited sort of way!
twisti
Posted 2005-03-07 6:34 AM (#18378 - in reply to #15238)

You will get plenty of help. In the last 5 weeks we did headstand nearly everyday so you might want to work on it now. Just giving you the heads up

We weren't allowed to go up unless we could do a deadleg raise (two legs at the same time) so you might want to try practicing that up against a wall or something. Also start holding your postures longer, Nicky works on 10 full breaths (sometimes more if she gets distracted!!)

You will be fine either way but the more prepared you are the more you will get outta the course. I will keep posting whatever comes up

When is the date?
Thushara
Posted 2005-03-07 7:29 AM (#18380 - in reply to #18371)

Lakhesis, Dont be scared at all for the head stand. I was scared too.. First do ardha sirasasana, then sirasasana with help of the wall. then off the wall., But my new teacher said., she teaches off the wall even for the 1st time headstand people.

You need hip and stomach fallibility for this., be in padmasana , hold your toes and roll up and down. It was a good tip I got from my previous teacher., That improves flexibility

YOU CAN DO IT

BTW twisti I like your pic., Its one of my favorites too.. Holding your palms like this do you bend and touch your right knee / left knee with your forehead? I still don’t do that 2nd part

Edited by Thushara 2005-03-07 7:36 AM
twisti
Posted 2005-03-07 7:46 AM (#18381 - in reply to #18380)

Thushara - 2005-03-07 7:29 AM
BTW twisti I like your pic., Its one of my favorites too.. Holding your palms like this do you bend and touch your right knee / left knee with your forehead? I still don’t do that 2nd part

Thanks, it is one of my fav pics too. My friend took a whole bunch of black and whites for me a while back.

Is parsvottanasana the pose you are talking about?
twisti
Posted 2005-03-07 7:47 AM (#18382 - in reply to #15238)

Yes Lakhesis don't be afraid of headstand, I think going upside down is 80% psychological!

Have no fear fellow yogi
Thushara
Posted 2005-03-07 10:40 PM (#18437 - in reply to #18381)

Yeah twisti Thats the name I forgot it . Thanks

twisti
Posted 2005-03-18 6:58 AM (#19424 - in reply to #15238)

I love the little yogi bear Thushara

Looks like I might be doing the intermediate and perhaps advanced courses in August/Sept.... might bump into you there Lakhesis

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)