YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raw food diet and yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

flipcat
Posted 2005-01-21 11:04 AM (#15253)
Subject: Raw food diet and yoga

Hello everyone. At the turn of the year, I adopted a 75% - 80% raw vegan diet. (Just seemed natural for me). Timing was a cooincidence. Prior to that I practically lived on milk, tofu, and breads. Also of note is that I have been struggling with moderate hip osteoarthritis that has plagued me since my mid 20's. I made this transition for spiritual purposes and have been really shocked at the difference.

I am not 'promoting' this way of eating per se, but one thing is for certain: that since this change I have become super bendy! My husband is completely flabbergasted when he walks by as I practice (and his is not a student of yoga...only me). I am practicing caution of course, but I can just slip into postures now that I could never have contemplated prior! For example, backbends. I am pretty comfortable (for a finite # of breaths) hangind out in basic backbend. Suddenly, I have so much space and strength that I just thought I'd try to walk my feet in...and then some more...and then some more.

Anyone else notice a link between food and stiffness or flexibility?

Oh, also I have had no arthritis pain since switching! I stopped my glucosamine habit (an expensive one)

Amy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-21 11:14 AM (#15255 - in reply to #15253)
Subject: RE: Raw food diet and yoga

WOW! That's awesome. I have heard numerous reports of people with similar stories. Many friends of mine swear by vege, vegan or raw diets...especially for the effects on their yoga practice.

I myself didn't experience any noticeable changes in performance when I tried to go vegetarian. Now I'm back on meat. Also I never tried going RAW. I

That's great though. I'm happy that is working for you. Keep up the good work.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-21 12:08 PM (#15256 - in reply to #15253)

Wonderul Flicat, an appropriate name for someone deserving such as you. You have done greatt and I congruatulate you and also bow down to you. However, I wish to add one thing, in case it is applicable to you, regardless of what energy gain you have, please take sufficient rest.

Yes, diet without any doubt, has enormous effect on the flexibility. And, so is Rest.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
flipcat
Posted 2005-01-21 12:50 PM (#15260 - in reply to #15253)

Thank you brother Neel!

I am relieved to hear that this influence of diet on flexibility is common. I will certainly take your advice to be mindful of my rest. I know you have much experience with these things.

Neel, I saw your wedding pictures and they are so lovely! I am truly delighted for you. I got married only a few months before you. After seeing how much joy it brought me to share your wedding pictures, I thought I should have posted mine as well...so here it is a few months late

(coupleanddeshek2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments coupleanddeshek2.jpg (10KB - 75 downloads)
itchytummy
Posted 2005-01-21 11:47 PM (#15297 - in reply to #15260)

Wow, that's a great observation flipcat. I was raised doing yoga, but not raised vegetarian.
Now that I think of it, when I did become a "veghead", I did become even more flexible
than I already was (don't know why I didn't think of it at the time, then again I was a young
impressionable pre-teen who didn't think about those kinds of things or make those kinds
of connections).
easternsun
Posted 2005-01-22 8:46 AM (#15319 - in reply to #15253)

hi flipcat,

i wanted to ask you what you eat for protein? i have tried similar ways of eating (notice i did not say diet ) and i just couldnt maintain required nutrition levels.

i dont know whether eating veg/vegan makes me "bendier". i have tried weaning myself off the glucosamine/collagen (i use to be a dancer until a year ago). i am doing better but still "need" it when the seasons change.

nice wedding picture! you're so puuuurrtty!!!!! maybe a personal quesiton, but did you have a buddhist ceremony?
flipcat
Posted 2005-01-22 10:25 AM (#15325 - in reply to #15253)

Hi Kira,

Thanks

Protein is a snap! Plant foods naturally are composed of about 10% protein (hence TVP product) and if I want a little more than that, I sprout some beans (lentils and garbanzoa are my favorite this week). Sprouted legumes (well and grains too) have tons of protein. Nuts and nut butters also have loads of protein. Current American culture right now is in love with protein and I am not sure why. It is something to be balanced and not maximized. ('If a little is good...then a lot must be better' really isn't true in nutrition.) Traditionally our bodies optimal nutritional breakdown is something like 55% carbohydrate (oh GASP! oh DEAR!), 30% GOOD fats (because you eat about 3x less fat to get the same calories), and 15% protein.

To answer your other question, I guess I will say that we honored Buddhism the best that we were able in Birmingham Alabama for our ceremony. Marriage is not a fundamentally a Tibetan Buddhist ' principle' and therefore our lama and teacher could merely bless us and chant for a cool breeze as it was the hottest day of the year in AL last year It was the most bizarre mixture of old traditional Southern values (husband is pretty traditional Southern conservative) and my family of Buddhists and transendental meditation teachers We had a GREAT time!
I guess you could say we put the zig in each others zag.

Amy
easternsun
Posted 2005-01-22 11:37 AM (#15331 - in reply to #15325)

hi flipcat,

i asked about protein because i was a vegan long before i realized that i had to eat a balanced diet! the result was i lost a lot of weight (which i couldnt afford to), was ill often, and had mad sugar cravings. i never liked sweets as a kid (still dont). a nutritionist sorted me out and explained that my sugar cravings were due to a lack of protein in my diet. these days it is all good.

one of my favourite snacks is garbanzo beans sprinkled with balsamic vinegar! i eat them as a snack instead of potato chips

nice that you were blessed at your nuptials! congratulations.

i am assuming you are veg due to buddhist practices?? am i right?

so maybe this is another thread, but what do you think about all the meat eating buddhists (including the monks) the dalai lama even eats meat. i have been studying for about three years and this is one of the things i cant quite get my head around.
Kabu
Posted 2005-01-22 11:41 AM (#15333 - in reply to #15253)

I'm new to seriously practicing yoga, but I have been experimenting with raw meals for a couple of months now.

I eat raw for breakfast and lunch, and then try to have a reasonable dinner (okay...except for pizza night ). I've also added more Soy products to my diet.

I can't comment on my yoga practice yet, but my skin has really responded wonderfully. I've been battling acne since I was 20, and it seems as if eating raw has significantly toned things down.

In fact, I notice I tend to break out shortly after pizza night. You'd think the lesson here is to cut out the pizza, but no...I just make sure to use my benzoyl peroxide more frequently.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-22 1:27 PM (#15337 - in reply to #15253)

Flipcat:
You and your spouse both look most divine in the picture, and of course the priest. May your wedding be most happy. While you posted on Raw Food diet, and also called me brother, let me give some tips:

- Do not force or push Raw diet on your spouse.
- Let the spouse take its own direction, and you can show what by example and love, of course, not sacrificing your values.

As for others: If you do not think Raw food is satisfying you, there is no harm in adding some conservatively cooked (for example, steamed broccoli as compared to totally cooked broccoli, ETC with other foods), to satisfy you.

Brother Neel
www.authenticcyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-23 7:59 AM (#15399 - in reply to #15337)

Expert Yogi

I agree with the steamed versus cooked concept (especially for brocolli). Vegetables
prepared well are just great. Overcooked --- yuk.

The wedding photo is lovely, and I think that your mixing of Buddhism and Southern
tradition sounds really charming. Best wishes for the future!
samantha77
Posted 2005-01-25 10:39 PM (#15573 - in reply to #15253)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Flipcat,
How did you transition into a raw food diet? I'm in the process of going vegetarian, the only type of meat I'll still eat on occasion is chicken, and after I've gone totally vegetarian, I'd like to start working into a raw food diet. Is the transition hard?
Samantha
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-25 10:58 PM (#15575 - in reply to #15253)

Flip cat this is great!!!! Can you give us more details on this., What exactly you eat, drink and all these stuff. Im a vegetarian too But I have never tried these raw diet thing., But Yes very interesting.. And your wedding pic is very nice! Wish you lot of happiness !

Kabu
Posted 2005-01-26 5:01 AM (#15579 - in reply to #15337)

As for others: If you do not think Raw food is satisfying you, there is no harm in adding some conservatively cooked

Oh, I like Raw simply because it's one less meal I have to cook. This may be one situation where I actually *benefit* from my laziness.

Anyone else who's interested in finding out more about eating raw, there are plenty of books out there on the subject ~ I found mine in our local library. Carol Alt's book "Eating In The Raw" is a pretty straight forward discussion about her journey, the benefits of raw and how to get started. I'm not doing it by the letter (like sprouting nuts or using coconut milk ~ you should see me trying to crack one of those), but she offers a nice personal story and some recipes. She even says you don't need to eat 100% raw (though she does) to reap the benefits ~ any time you replace processed stuff with fresh fruits and veggies, you're on the right track.

Edited by Kabu 2005-01-26 5:03 AM
flipcat
Posted 2005-01-26 12:51 PM (#15595 - in reply to #15253)

Wow, there is so much to say about that and I do not want to 'hog' up valuable yoga board space with a raw food discussion, but I will say this much;

The transition was VERY easy for me into raw food (when I was ready for it...it just seems completly right). That may not be the case for every person. Some people have probably struggled and fought very hard for this change and I am sure my 'ease' of transition is probably due to knowledge gained from their suffering.

There is tons of info on this on the web. Try www.rawfood.com. If you like to read and/or want to spend money, I recommend "Nature's First Law" by David Wolfe.

Also, this is not for everyone just as vegetarianism is not so like Brother Neel said, this should never ever ever be pushed on anyone. I go out of my way NOT to discuss it with acquaintances.

My final comment is to take it slowly. If you have interest, try eating more foods in their natural state and just see how you feel. Ultimately, that should be the motivating force behind what we shovel into our face right?

Have the best day ever

Amy
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-02 4:29 PM (#15935 - in reply to #15253)

Extreme Veteran

I have another questions for those of you that are following a vegetarian and/or raw food diet. What do you do when you go out to eat with people who are not vegetarians or not following a raw food diet? Finding a vegetarian dish isn't so hard, although I am getting sick of cheese quesadillas and veggie burgers , but what about raw food options? At mainstream restaurants like Applebees, or Olive Garden the only thing I can think of is salad.
Samantha
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-02 5:02 PM (#15939 - in reply to #15935)

I don't know how popular or doable this suggestion is, but it works for me:

I just go with the flow. I only eat raw about 70 - 80% of the time anyway, so going out to eat with friends doesn't affect me much. I simply consider that my non-raw meal for the day. I still get the great benefits of eating raw without having to overly restrict myself. Though I must admit, if I eat fried cheese sticks, I can depend on a mild breakout within a couple of days. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with.

I used to severely restrict my eating many years ago. Though I often patted myself on the back for being so "clean," I was miserable when missing out on a good meal with friends and/or family. Now, I'm much more laid back, and I don't resent having to hold back or munch on raw veggies when everyone else is enjoying deep dish pizza.
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-02 5:23 PM (#15943 - in reply to #15939)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the advice. I haven't started to eat raw yet, but you're right, when I do, I don't have to go 100%. (I don't know if I'd be able to do that anyway!)
DynamicSara
Posted 2005-02-02 5:31 PM (#15944 - in reply to #15253)

I like the Idea of the raw food diet, but I still live with my parents . Well it would just be hard to do I love my mom's cooking!
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-02 5:40 PM (#15947 - in reply to #15944)

Extreme Veteran

I live with my mom, but it won't be so hard for me because we each cook for ourselves. The big problem for me when eliminating meat from my diet was my dad's cooking. Lately he's been making meatless meals for me when I go over there though because he knows I'm a vegetarian.
Samantha
patelvipulk
Posted 2005-02-02 5:57 PM (#15950 - in reply to #15253)
Subject: sungazing

I recently came across Hira Ratan mankek ( www.solarhealing.com) who is teaching sungazing as a potential cure for mental and physical disorders and a lot of Raw Veg. practioneres are joining the group discussion on a yahoo group... ( HRM has been living on sunlight and water for past nine years and is based in florida,USA )..

Please let me know if anyone is intersted to find out more..

Vipul..
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-03 9:48 AM (#16010 - in reply to #15253)

Dear Samantha:

Then the only options you have are:

- Request, Push or Force your friends to go with you to places where you can find veg/raw foods of your choice and their likes, too.

- Do not go to the ones where you do not get what you want

- Ask those restaurants to add the dishes you want

- Carry your own.

If you can not get all this done, you must open your own place, and we shall buy from you.

Peace
neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)