YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Days Off
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Lakhesis
Posted 2005-01-25 5:02 AM (#15514)
Subject: Days Off

I'm currently doing 5-6 yoga classes per week, with 3 different teachers. This works very well for me, since I rely on exercise to soothe my natural tendency for nervous tension, so I always feel satisfied and stretched at the end of the day. In fact, on my one or two days off per week, I really miss a vigorous session.
For the first time in around 8 months of intensive practice, I recently took two weeks off yoga. I was in New Zealand, and did one Bikram class (yuck!) and one very easy gym class in that time, otherwise all I did was walk. When I returned to practice afterwards, I found not only a new lease of intensity of enthusiasm, but I was getting further into asanas with less effort. It made me wonder whether regular breaks like this are important.
What do you guys think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-25 6:21 AM (#15516 - in reply to #15514)
Subject: RE: Days Off

My experience is NO.
But it may differ from person to person

I stopped Yoga and the gym both at once for 4 weeks.,
Last few days, when I started practicing again., I felt like crying. It was so scary to find out how stiff my body had become. But these days I practice at home every morning before go to work., Week ends at least 2 sessions… So I feel I’m catching up very fast than I thought. I want to be ready before I go to the studio again.
I Didn’t start Gym sessions yet., But I started mountain biking and I feel like riding is better than going to the gym. Its fun and I love it. So I don’t feel like going back to the gym.

Is there anybody who goes to the Gym as well parallel to yoga sessions.. I would like to know whether it’s really benefiting? Stretching with dumbbells might help yah? But treadmill and other stuff Yack!!! I feel its boring now

BTW 5- 6 classes per week are awesome!! But how do you attend to this many classes with your work?? You go for classes after work?

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-25 1:06 PM (#15532 - in reply to #15514)

Dear Lakhesis:

1. Could you kindly tell me how you ffind the Yoga Scene in New Zealand in more detail?

2. As for your question: Regular breaks are useful when your life is hectic. If your life is peaceful, NO breaks are necessary and are not useful.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-01-25 6:35 PM (#15558 - in reply to #15514)

Expert Yogi

Lakhesis - I have found that happens with many things, from yoga to writing to whatever. Especially during a time of intensive learning, a break (not too long) will often allow the body/mind to absorb and consolidate the learning and you come back doing better than you were doing before. My husband is very athletic and has found it applies to many disciplines and I remember my kids doing better at music when they took short breaks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)