YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to forum
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

samantha77
Posted 2005-01-25 5:52 PM (#15554)
Subject: New to forum

Extreme Veteran

Hi Everyone,
My name is Samantha and I just registered to this forum today. I am so happy to have found a forum like this! I've been looking for awhile. I've been doing yoga for several years, on and off until recently. I do have one question regarding yoga and health problems if anyone can help me: I have some respiratory problems due to allergies, and I use an inhaler. I've noticed that while doing yoga, I feel like I am breathing much more efficiently and comfortably. I can't figure out how to make that happen when I am not doing yoga. I try to remain calm and do ugayi(spelling?) breathing, but I can't seem to get to that same state of breathing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make my yoga practice work with this breathing problem?
Samantha
Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-26 4:08 PM (#15606 - in reply to #15554)
Subject: RE: New to forum

Namaste and welcome, Samantha. Your breathing problem sounds a bit strange to me. During practice, when you treat your body in kinda unusual ways and bend into a pretzel you can do the uyaji (sp?) breathing - but not when you do norml things? It's probably just a question of concentration. This kind of breathing doesn't come naturally for many of us and we have remind ourselves from time to time to breath properly. I bet it will get better once you're a bit more into the yoga again.
See, I was breathing wrong all my life, inhaling and exhaling mostly through the mouth. Also I tucked my tummy in during inhalation cause it's conscious muscle work for me - and letting the abs loosen when exhaling. After 1,5 years of yoga I have adopted proper breathing though.
I guess the ujayi (sp?) breathing will come more naturally for you too.
samantha77
Posted 2005-01-26 10:13 PM (#15641 - in reply to #15606)

Extreme Veteran

Maybe it's not ujayi breathing. Whenever I have trouble breathing, I try to breathe the way I do when I'm practicing. It doesn't seem to work. I know something different happens when I do yoga that allows me to breathe better. I think it might be that when I do yoga, I'm aware of my body in a way that I'm not normally. I just have to learn how to get that kind of awareness during the rest of the day.
Thushara
Posted 2005-01-26 11:02 PM (#15644 - in reply to #15641)

Samantha,

You are practicing Ujayi Pranayama. (Ujayi = conquering, Prana =breath and Ayama = control over it. )Which you do with high pitch voice., As how I’ve learnt , Ujai Pranayama helps more in the area of Improving concentration, and it helps you to be focused.
After going through your post, I think you better practice Sitali( Breath air through your tongue while folding your toungue like a tube(protrud) , so you get cooling air )and Surya bhedana(inhalation through the surya nadi) before Ujayi pranayama. I hope this might help.

samantha77
Posted 2005-01-27 12:35 PM (#15674 - in reply to #15644)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks! I'm going to learn more about and try both!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)