YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Asleep at the ... Pose?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

YogaDancer
Posted 2005-01-26 7:20 PM (#15630)
Subject: Asleep at the ... Pose?

So I've had the most interesting things happen recently. Or actually, I guess I've just become aware of this recently.

I've maintained forever that yoga and relaxation must just be in everyone's mind, because it sure makes no difference along those lines for me. The first thing a newbie gushes is how relaxed they feel. Huh? Sure, Svanasana is one of the single times in our lives that we actually give ourselves permission to relax. (However, the great art of Napping is not lost in my home!) Anyway. I practice, walk away and go on with my day. No huge physical releases or new outlook.

I've always found coming out of forward bends (of any sort) to be almost euphoric. I love them and have determined they must be at least somewhat relaxing as their genre is said to be. For me during coming out, there's this huge rush of Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. and ahhhhhhhhhhhh as I come back to myself in the next asana.

Well....
recently, after forward bends I found myself ... NODDING OFF ... in Virabhradrasana II! I was literally doing that body jerk thing that happens when one is so relaxed! Now, this is one of the reasons I hate to meditate. I get so relaxed that I either tip over (no, I'm not asleep) or I just know I"m going to do that muscle jerk and I hate it! And here I am, finding it happening in STANDING poses!

Wassa matter with me!?

Go figure, huh?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-01-26 8:38 PM (#15636 - in reply to #15630)
Subject: RE: Asleep at the ... Pose?

Good grief--we are all soooo different. I think forward bends are worse torture than the Iraqis got at Abu Grhaib. I'm totally unable to do them with any proficiency standing up or sitting down--backbends--I'll be a napping.
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-01-26 8:49 PM (#15637 - in reply to #15636)

Interesting, isn't it?
I guess it might be the sterum/sukha balance that we hope to achieve: Total relaxation, yet enough muscle energy to remain standing and not pie on my face.

hmm.
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-01-27 8:14 AM (#15659 - in reply to #15630)

I haven't visited the Land of Nod while practicing, but I have certainly encountered the euphoric reaction you described. It wasn't from forward bends, though. For me, I usually get it coming out of a deep twist or a long side stretch. The epitome of this, for me, is in Parivrtta Janu Sirsasana. I know I must look positively stoned after this pose. I get it from other twists as well, but this particular asana is by far the most pronounced. I will literally find myself anticipating the opportunity like some sort of junkie. The reaction is also stronger when coming out of it on the left side than when I work the asana to the right. Very odd.

YogaDancer
Posted 2005-01-27 8:56 AM (#15660 - in reply to #15659)

EXACTLY!

I actually get it in this asana, too, but it's because of the very deep forward bend I go into before I rotate. LOooooooong spine, then bring the bottom rib up towards the ceiling. Oh. My. God.

Stoned is just like it.
One of my more, um, blunt? crass? observant? friends says I look like I've just had a really strong, uhhhh, "Harry met Sally" experience. Only she didn't say that. What I want to know is how she knows what I'd look like, anyway!?!

But you get my point which is so totally cool! It's very hard to describe, isn't it? I could stay there forever, but the coming out part is such a cool release. I don't remember that, though, until I come out!

Yeah!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)