YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

to certify or not to certify?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

yogi-boy
Posted 2005-01-31 12:36 PM (#15820)
Subject: to certify or not to certify?

Hi,

Is there compulsory certification for all yoga teachers?

All (5) of my yoga teachers have sugggested I teach yoga privately before certification. I'm about to embark on a two year study program and would love to start teaching anyway. Would that be illegal or unethical?

My teachers are already using me to substitute for them in their classes and I have a "waiting list" of private students who want me to teach them or their colleaugues.

Whats yr opinion...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-01-31 12:48 PM (#15824 - in reply to #15820)
Subject: RE: to certify or not to certify?

I wouldn't learn from somebody who had NO certification.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-31 12:54 PM (#15826 - in reply to #15824)

Expert Yogi

The question for me is whether the teacher teaches safely and at a level
where I can benefit by studying with them. Beginning teachers have to
start somehow, and some certifications are not very meaningful, so I'd say
it depends on whether the beginning teacher can work effectively with students
more than on whether they have a certification. I do think that some people
teaching yoga are badly underqualified for the job, however.
samantha77
Posted 2005-01-31 4:36 PM (#15834 - in reply to #15820)

Extreme Veteran

I'm currently looking for a yoga teacher, and their background is certainly something that I'm weighing in my decision. There was a studio that I was considering until I read the background of the teacher of the class I had planned to take. It listed having attended a bunch of workshops with big name teachers, but not having studied with one person for an extended period of time, or even having attended classes regularly for an extended period of time. (I'm sure she has been studying for awhile, but her bio should say that!) I really don't know anything about Yoga Teacher Certifications, but as someone who is searching for a teacher I can tell you what new students would be looking for. I would consider taking a class from a new teacher, but I would want to see that that teacher has an extensive amount of study under his or her belt. Not that being a long time student alone would make a good teacher, but I would try a new teacher who had been practicing for awhile under a teacher themselves.
Samantha
afroyogi
Posted 2005-01-31 5:09 PM (#15837 - in reply to #15820)
Subject: RE: to certify or not to certi

A certificate doesn't make a teacher in my eyes. For thousands of years yoga teachings were given from generation to generation without caring for paperwork and stuff. One of my teachers is like 80 years of age, practicing yoga since the stone age and has tremendous experience in teaching. I would never dare asking him about his certification. I bet he never in his long life even wasted one single thought about beaurocratic stuff like that.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-01-31 5:37 PM (#15839 - in reply to #15820)

yogi-boy - 2005-01-31 12:36 PM

Hi,

Is there compulsory certification for all yoga teachers?

All (5) of my yoga teachers have sugggested I teach yoga privately before certification. I'm about to embark on a two year study program and would love to start teaching anyway. Would that be illegal or unethical?

My teachers are already using me to substitute for them in their classes and I have a "waiting list" of private students who want me to teach them or their colleaugues.

Whats yr opinion...

There is no compulsory/mandatory yoga teacher certification in the US (or anywhere else as far as I know). However, Yoga Alliance is trying to start a national registry. They want to set certain minimum standards for certifications and registrations. This is good and bad for reasons I will discuss below. To answer your question in short: NO, it is NOT illegal or unethical to teach without being certified. However, you want to insure yourself before teaching.

Many yoga schools and traditions have their own standards for teaching. And many yoga schools defend their trade and servicemarks by requiring teachers to be certified by them before claiming to teach their style. See Bikram.

Remember that yoga is a 5000 year old tradition and like all "traditions" it was passed along from generation to generation. In yoga you have the teacher and the student and eventually the student learns enough to begin teaching on his/her own (either with or without the teacher's blessing). Most of our western yoga is from the T. Krishnamacharya lineage: ashtanga, iyengar and vini yoga.

Our society places a lot of emphasis on "certification," "documentation," "accreditation," and other pedigrees. This is good being that we are such a consumer driven society, but that is no guaranty of quality. It is merely ONE FACTOR.

Here is a statement that seems wrong but isn't: A good teacher has to be a good teacher.

Merely having a certificate does not make you a good teacher. Merely being a strong practitioner does not make one a good teacher. Merely studying under a great teacher does not make you a great teacher. These are all important factors, but in the end a teacher has to be a good teacher. Some aspects of being a good teacher are learned and others are innate.

If your teachers tell you to teach, then you should go ahead and teach. If you have students that want to study with you, then you probably have something to offer and that's great. Do you need to get certified? NO.

HOWEVER, you SHOULD get certified! Why? Several reasons. It makes good business sense. If you are trying to hold yourself out as a teacher, you want to have more qualifications, not less. It will be easier to get insurance. Not only that, but if anything should happen, and you are not certified, it looks really bad to a jury. And because you can't actually learn everything you need in a yoga class, you have to do some studying outside of class. Maybe you have read a lot about yoga and anatomy and teaching techniques, but a good teacher training course will at least introduce you to many of the things that you will need to know and study to be fully versed and ready to tackle teaching safely and smartly.

Edited by YogaGuy 2005-01-31 5:43 PM
vivage
Posted 2005-01-31 6:35 PM (#15841 - in reply to #15820)

Hullo, rather new to this board but not to yoga.

I teach yoga and am not certified. I've taken teacher training with David Swenson (certified by P.Jois) and Erich Schiffmann (not certified by anyone but his practice). I've also done countless workshops with both nationally known and unknown teachers. I've been practicing for nearly 7 yrs.

I've gone to both certified and non-certified teachers. Being certified doesn't always give you quality; it only tells you that the teacher has completed at least 200 hours of receiving instruction from another certified teacher training course. There is also a 500 hour level. I have well over 200 hours of instruction under my belt but choose not to go for a certification...because it (imho) doesn't mean I'm a good teacher.

There is no state or countrywide mandatory licensing or certification for yoga teachers or fitness instructors. It is neither illegal or unethical to teach without certification. Although I'd say it's unethical if you hide your inexperience or *fudge* it if a student asks.

I hope people give each teacher a chance, if the teacher doesn't seem right to you, don't go back. I'm sure you'll find both good and not-so-good teachers in both pools of cert and non-cert.

p.s. Check out the White Lotus website for their stance on not being certified.
tourist
Posted 2005-01-31 9:56 PM (#15845 - in reply to #15841)

Expert Yogi

Welcome Vivage - nice to see you here from MIS

Certification is an issue that will not go away. I have no choice since I am an Iyengar student. If I want to teach, I go through their training and become certififed when I am ready. However, I did teach before I entered teacher training (although it was the blind leading the blind! Just other yoga friends and I getting together really) and in our system one does begin to teach long before certification, but with a mentor teacher monitoring, constant study, practice and evaluation.

My initial reaction to the idea of teaching privately before training struck me as odd, but then I realized I had also done a bit of that, but with no payment. I had given little sessions at home to a few friends. I would have absolutely not been comfortable with being paid for those sessions since my level of knowledge and experrtise was so slim at the time. I think if your teachers say it is time to teach, you should start to teach! If nothing else it teaches you how much you still need to learn.

A long list of famous names would not impress me much. Anyone can take a workshop and add the name of ther teacher to their list. It doesn't mean anything was learned there! The long tradition of teacher to student learning was one on one and we don't have that anymore. Those old gurus wouldn't even see a student if s/he hadn't previously demonstrated solid understanding of the yamas and niyamas. Now a student is often accepted into training simply by writing a cheque. If I were looking for a teacher now I would look at their lineage, look at their practice and ask about their philosophy and hope for the best!
vivage
Posted 2005-02-01 12:40 AM (#15853 - in reply to #15845)

Hi Tourist, thanks for the welcome. I like this board, lots of fun folk.

Ya know thats how I began thinking about teaching. My (Iyengar) teacher said I was more than ready to teach. It took a little while for me to digest that and after my teacher trainings I realized she was right. I initally took the tt's to deepen my own practice, which it did and then began to see how I could help others. It's been a good journey so far.

yogi-boy
Posted 2005-02-02 11:33 AM (#15917 - in reply to #15820)

Thanks for all yr input! I really value all the different opinions- pretty much the same ones I'm experiencing while coming to a conclusion myself.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)