YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cleansing Practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Lakhesis
Posted 2005-02-01 4:32 PM (#15875)
Subject: Cleansing Practice

I know this isn't really a yoga post, but I wanted you all to get the chance to see this!
I saw a wonderful practitioner yesterday who had the simplest cleansing remedy tip in the world. It's an old, old Chinese martial arts technique where you drink 1.5 to 2 litres of warm water as quickly as is manageable, then do 1000 skips with a skipping rope!
It's rather comical to visualise, but I tried in this morning and it's incredibly effective! I only managed 500 skips (its much tougher that I though it would be!) and getting all the water down was a bit tough, but I've been assured that it gets easier. Martial arts masters do this every day for a month at a time. Over this time, it has the same action as a series of colonics, plus it's cleansing to the genito-urinary system!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-02-01 9:41 PM (#15883 - in reply to #15875)
Subject: RE: Cleansing Practice

Expert Yogi

Yikes! And yet perhaps not worse than the rice protein powder cleanse I attempted a couple of years ago. When someone says something tastes "good" - always ask them to define "good"...blech! Nevertheless, I think this one would have me cleansing the floor at some point....
Lakhesis
Posted 2005-02-02 1:41 AM (#15893 - in reply to #15875)

Heh, heh, heh...
It's pretty extreme, eh?
Those martial arts masters!!!!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-02 9:23 PM (#15975 - in reply to #15875)

Someone gave me a remedy years ago to drink one cup of warm water containing a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon (or was it two?) of pure maple syrup, and a couple of dashes of cayenne pepper. It tastes much better than it sounds! I don't know how much it helped, I'd probably have been better off doing some belly-down poses and adding more fiber to my diet.

Posted 2005-02-02 10:27 PM (#15977 - in reply to #15875)

"It's an old, old Chinese martial arts technique ..."

And I'd like to point out, how many old Chinese martial artists does one see anymore? Nada--'cause of stunts like that. I gotta ask, what makes people do things like that? I never saw Bruce Lee do that--thank God.
MichaelJ
Posted 2005-02-02 10:42 PM (#15978 - in reply to #15875)

Isn't the next line:

"Their walls are built of cannon balls, their motto is Don't Tread on Me."
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-02 11:18 PM (#15981 - in reply to #15875)

This only cleans the inside lining of the system and should be used only in emergencies. It is NOT a good practice for Health at all, in fact repetitions of this is BAD for health. Better cleaning effect of the system is achieved by proper diet, exercise, and rest.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-03 2:45 AM (#15987 - in reply to #15981)

Kulkarnn, Then why is that Ancient Ayurvedic medicine always has body cleansing methods such as Panchakarma with vamana, Virechana, Vasthi, Nasyam and Rakthamoksha?

LoraB
Posted 2005-02-03 9:27 AM (#16003 - in reply to #15875)

I thought the next line was "got some things to talk about, here beside the rising tide". Love that song! There's a great Indigo Girls version that I've been trying to get my hands on for some time, and can't seem to find....

Posted 2005-02-03 9:30 AM (#16006 - in reply to #16003)

Glad to see there are some Dead fans among us.
MichaelJ
Posted 2005-02-03 9:35 AM (#16008 - in reply to #15875)

I looked it up on google: (forgot about that last line)

Uncle John's Band

Well the first days are the hardest days, don’t you worry any more,
’cause when life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door.
Think this through with me, let me know your mind,
Wo, oh, what I want to know, is are you kind?

It’s a buck dancer’s choice my friend; better take my advice.
You know all the rules by now and the fire from the ice.
Will you come with me? won’t you come with me?
Wo, oh, what I want to know, will you come with me?

God****, well I declare, have you seen the like?
Their wall are built of cannonballs, their motto is don’t tread on me.
Come hear uncle john’s band playing to the tide,
Come with me, or go alone, he’s come to take his children home.

It’s the same story the crow told me; it’s the only one he knows.
Like the morning sun you come and like the wind you go.
Ain’t no time to hate, barely time to wait,
Wo, oh, what I want to know, where does the time go?

I live in a silver mine and I call it beggar’s tomb;
I got me a violin and I beg you call the tune,
Anybody’s choice, I can hear your voice.
Wo, oh, what I want to know, how does the song go?

Come hear uncle john’s band by the riverside,
Got some things to talk about, here beside the rising tide.

Come hear uncle john’s band playing to the tide,
Come on along, or go alone, he’s come to take his children home.
Wo, oh, what I want to know, how does the song go.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-03 9:40 AM (#16009 - in reply to #15875)

Kulkarnn, Then why is that Ancient Ayurvedic medicine always has body cleansing methods such as Panchakarma with vamana, Virechana, Vasthi, Nasyam and Rakthamoksha?

Dear Thushara:
Good question. During the ancient times, the habitat of people was such that emergencies could crop up. For example, they did not drink water from bottles, or from a distilled sources or filtered sources such as today. This can be extended to all other intakes through the digestive, nasal, and other openings. Again, they did not have access to food in the variety and clean form as today (of course, assuminng that we are not screwing it up with Chemicals, Raditation, etc. which actually screws us up not in the digestive track but once it goes into the blood and cells). Therefore they found these methods. However, these are methods which should be used only when must. These methods use the vital power of the body and actually, reduce the energy of the body. For example, try this: For next 2 months you perform Vamana each day, and keep all other things same, and you shall find you are weaker without any doubt. Now, if you do waman, and take more rest, you will feel better if previously your digestive track (meaning stomach) was dirty. If it was clean, you will feel NOT much different.

Any thing Ancient, or Modern, should be Used in a proper context. For example, in the ancient times, Yogis meditated in a forest, with dead animal skin for sitting, in the midst of cold and wind. Do we do this today?

To make it interesting: No Yogis of the ancient times used Yoga mat which is becoming so popular now!!!!

Peace
neel

Posted 2005-02-03 10:23 AM (#16015 - in reply to #16009)

Beloved Brother Neel wrote:
"To make it interesting: No Yogis of the ancient times used Yoga mat which is becoming so popular now!!!!"

No warriors of ancient times used stealth fighter jets either--but they're popular now. If Alexander the Great had modern tools, we'd all be speaking Greek now--of course, to Brother Neel, I do anyway
MrD
Posted 2005-02-04 2:10 AM (#16059 - in reply to #15875)

Neel wrote "For example, try this: For next 2 months you perform Vamana each day"

What's Vamana?
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-04 11:35 AM (#16070 - in reply to #15875)

Now I shall leave that to Big Brother Bruce or Thushara. But, dear MrD: Why are working at 2:10 a.m.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-04 4:55 PM (#16088 - in reply to #15875)

I just misread this thread as "Cleaning parachutes"

Time for me to go to bed ...
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-06 9:25 PM (#16222 - in reply to #16059)

MrD - 2005-02-05 1:10 PM

Neel wrote "For example, try this: For next 2 months you perform Vamana each day"

What's Vamana?

Vomit

easternsun
Posted 2005-02-06 10:00 PM (#16234 - in reply to #15875)

brother neel:

what is your opinion of practicing vamana dhauti once per week?

in my case, it consisted of first practicing sun salutations, jala nedhi, sutra nedhi, then drinking warm, salted water until you literally bring the water back up, at that point we were encouraged (instructed) to continue bringing up water until no more would come up. (for clarification, no bile or stomach contents come up).

then rest for a couple hours before eating some rice soup. then rest until lunch.

i can tell you that the morning of cleansing practice i was usually physically spent but by the afternoon i felt GREAT!

i still do jala and sutra nedhi but i have ceased with vamana dauti.

i understand that the six main (there are lots more) kriyas are : Trataka for eyesight, Neti for upper nasal tract, Kapalbhati for lower respiratory part ie., from nostrils to lungs, Dhauti for cleaning stomach, Nauli for abdominal muscles and Basti for lower intestines.

is that right?

i have never done Nauli or Basti - anyone have an experience to share?

also, neel can you comment on this from hatha yoga pradipika:

suddhimeti yada sarvam nadicakram malakulam tadasiva jayate yogi pranasangrahane ksamah

If the physical body is rid of toxic substances, then it is possible to hold the breath for as long as you like. The impediments to the practice of pranayama are removed.

i would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

thanks, kira

Thushara
Posted 2005-02-06 11:17 PM (#16252 - in reply to #16234)

Kulkarnn,

Thanks for the reply. But Ayurveda medicine was introduced while there was a great civilization in India., When people were far away from eating raw meat and drinking muddy water., Ayurveda itself teaches how to select and prepare food to maintain a good digesting process. During that era food must have been more cleaner, more fresher than today. True that these methods should be used only when needed. You cant perform vamana for 2 months Unless preggy Normally Panchakarma cleansing (At leat 2 methods out of 5 ) we do only twice a year.

Those days yogis used deer skin mats instead Synthetic mats

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-06 11:21 PM (#16253 - in reply to #15875)

I shall comment on Thushara later. Let me first comment of Easternsun, that is Kira.

Dear Kira:
I am commenting as suggested by you. See my comments with ===> below your statements.

rother neel:

what is your opinion of practicing vamana dhauti once per week?

===> As I said Vanman is NOT needed once a week if you take proper diet, rest and exercise. If you are exposed to bad environment so that the internal environment of your stomach gets polluted, and there is no other control you have to prevent this, then you shuld perform Vaman or Vomition. If your environment requires this per week then you should do your best to leave that environment. Environment includes Air, Water, Food, which reaches stomach inside due to Force (concentration camp or prison), Inavailability (poor country or environmental disaster), or Mistake (alcoholism, etc.). If that is not possible, you may do that per week.

in my case, it consisted of first practicing sun salutations, jala nedhi, sutra nedhi, then drinking warm, salted water until you literally bring the water back up, at that point we were encouraged (instructed) to continue bringing up water until no more would come up. (for clarification, no bile or stomach contents come up).

then rest for a couple hours before eating some rice soup. then rest until lunch.
===> This Rest for couple of hours is saving you. Try removing this rest, and you shall suffer.

i can tell you that the morning of cleansing practice i was usually physically spent but by the afternoon i felt GREAT!
===> Due to Rest

i still do jala and sutra nedhi but i have ceased with vamana dauti.

===> Good.

i understand that the six main (there are lots more) kriyas are : Trataka for eyesight, Neti for upper nasal tract, Kapalbhati for lower respiratory part ie., from nostrils to lungs, Dhauti for cleaning stomach, Nauli for abdominal muscles and Basti for lower intestines.
===> All these kriyas are necessary only when really needed as explained earlier above in and in the past postings.

is that right?
===> Yes, I can myself invent more kriyas such as this. Basically they clean the internal linnings of the cavities of the body.

i have never done Nauli or Basti - anyone have an experience to share?
===> Basti is same as enema which was used by Medical field.
===> Nauli is churning of small and large intensitines and within limit it can be beneficial as an exercise to them. While doing this, intenstines should be relatively empty. However, this can be achievved by many Yoga Poses in a gentler way.

also, neel can you comment on this from hatha yoga pradipika:

suddhimeti yada sarvam nadicakram malakulam tadasiva jayate yogi pranasangrahane ksamah

If the physical body is rid of toxic substances, then it is possible to hold the breath for as long as you like. The impediments to the practice of pranayama are removed.
====> Please give me the verse numbers for the above from the HYP. There is something missing in your versionn. But, see my quotations from the Hathayogapradipika which prove my points. These are given at the bottom.

i would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

thanks, kira

====>
meda\-shleShmAdhikaH pUrvaM ShaT\-karmANi samAcharet |
anyastu nAcharettAni doShANAM samabhAvataH || 21||
dhautirbastistathA netistrATakaM naulikaM tathA |
kapAla\-bhAtishchaitAni ShaT\-karmANi prachakShate || 22||

21. If there be excess of fat or phlegm in the body, the six kinds of kriyas (duties) should be performed first. But others, not suffering from the excess of these, should not perform them.

22. The six kinds of duties are: Dhauti, Basti, Neti, Trataka, Nauti and Kapala Bhati. These are called the six actions.

23. These six kinds of actions which cleanse the body should be kept secret. They produce extraordinary attributes and are performed with earnestness by the best Yogis.
easternsun
Posted 2005-02-07 2:14 AM (#16254 - in reply to #15875)

hi neel,

thanks for the exchange. as for the chapter and verse, the quote comes from my class notes and it could possibly be from Geranda Samhita

i have this note:
satkarmana sodhanam ca asanena bhaveddrdham
mudraya sthirata calve pratyabarena dhirata
pranayamallaghavam ca abyanatpratyaksamatmanah
samadhina nirliptam ca muktureva na samsayah - I. 10,11

The text translates as follows:

Purification is acquired by the regular performance of the Sat-kriyas.

(translation may be wrong too??

then my next note is the quote from the above post...so maybe it is not from Hatha Yoga Pradapika?? maybe Geranda Samhita

anyway, i appreciate your knowledge!! sharing IS caring
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-07 11:18 AM (#16274 - in reply to #15875)

Let me address now Thushara's concern before I later possibbly go to easternsun.

Thushara says:
Thanks for the reply. But Ayurveda medicine was introduced while there was a great civilization in India., When people were far away from eating raw meat and drinking muddy water.,
===> Medicine is always introduced as a reaction to Disease, never as a reaction to Health. So, that means in Ayurvedic Times (I mean when the medicinal part of Ayurveda was formed) there were diseases. And, then the medicinal reactions in any medicine whether Ayurvedic, Homeopathic, Chinese, Acupuncture, or Allopathic (modern) are always such that they try to suppress the symptoms or obtain relief from the discomfort associated with symptoms. For each symptom, there is a different medicinal reaction. Thus, in Stomach Bile Excess, there is Vaman, when the Nasal Passage Cough Excess there is Neti, etc. For example Vaman is never prescribed in Ayurveda for Fever. Now, coming civilization, I agree that there was a great civilization in India, but the civilization has different properties. For example, then in Indian Civilization maintaining celibacry or at least pure attitude towards sex was well practiced without much challenge. In that respect, today's civilization is degenerated, in fact it is as low as one has seen ever. However in terms of travel, there is no doubt that people in Ayurvedic times were not going from India to USA via plane each day.

Ayurveda itself teaches how to select and prepare food to maintain a good digesting process. During that era food must have been more cleaner, more fresher than today.
===> Food was properly of higher qualities, about cleanliness I do not knnow. Fresher, yes. Yes, Ayurveda teaches how to prepare food to mainntain good digesting process. At the same time it gives method to remove the bile excess. It means it can not guarantee that by the processes it suggestted, the bile excess shall not occur. However, the fact is that if your diet is proper with proper exercise and rest, you should never get a bile problem. And, this has been demonstrated. However, when the environment is beyond one's control, the problem shall come. I can site many examples of this. Also, I can site many examples of those who have control over environment, that those who lived in better environment, suuch as those in Ayurvedic times, and followed the A Diet, still do have bile excess problems. This means the Ayurvedic Dietary Recommendations are Good but NOT the best. I know this for the fact, because I have studied and practiced Ayurvedic and Otherwise for a prolonged time to get convicction.

True that these methods should be used only when needed. You cant perform vamana for 2 months Unless preggy Normally Panchakarma cleansing (At leat 2 methods out of 5 ) we do only twice a year.

===> Correct, twice a year for some persons, thrice a year of some other ones, and once a year for some other ones, but alos NEVER for some other ones. That depends on the situation.

Those days yogis used deer skin mats instead Synthetic mats
===> Yes, they used Deer Skin to avoid cold and dust, not to get Traction.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-07 11:37 AM (#16279 - in reply to #15875)

Now, coming to easternsun (the correcct direcction for the sun to rise!!!):

satkarmana sodhanam ca asanena bhaveddrdham
mudraya sthirata calve pratyabarena dhirata
pranayamallaghavam ca abyanatpratyaksamatmanah
samadhina nirliptam ca muktureva na samsayah - I. 10,11

this means: by six cleansing techniques one gets cleanliness (of the internal skin of the body, Neel), by asana one gets steadfastness and strength, by mudras one gets balance, by pratyahara one gets courage, by pranayama one gets lightness, by xxx (wrong wording above), by samadhi detachment, and liberation.
There is NO doubt about it.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)