YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IBS
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Jazel
Posted 2005-02-02 5:38 PM (#15945)
Subject: IBS

Hi! This is my first time that I would to try yoga, because I have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) with Constipation. My doctor says Yoga may can help me a lot with this problem. I would like to buy one of yours DVD's but I'm totally lost because there are so many of them that I don't know wich one is the best for my problem. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-02 6:21 PM (#15956 - in reply to #15945)
Subject: RE: IBS

Well, I can't comment on the DVD selection because I'm not sure if your doc was thinking of a specific branch of Yoga or Yoga in general. I check out the reviews of Yoga DVDs at Amazon.com before I buy anything. Generally, the reviewers are pretty helpful.

Have you thought about taking a class? My cousin has IBS and Diverticulosis. I'd love to see him give Yoga a try, but right now he's adjusting to his diagnosis and trying to figure out a diet he can live with. Once that settles down, maybe he'll join me in a class.

Posted 2005-02-02 6:23 PM (#15957 - in reply to #15945)

Welcome Jazel. First thing you'll get nearly universal guidance about is DO NOT begin your yoga journey with a dvd--get a teacher. If you insist on using the dvd, about any beginner yoga dvd would get you on your way. However, don't just limit your study and practice to the asanas (poses)--to effectively combat IBS, you need the combination of the asanas, proper diet, rest, meditation--in short, a yoga lifestyle. Yoga will help you relax and manage stress. Most beginning hatha dvds will help with the basic asanas that will help with IBS:
Easy Pose (Sukhasana)
Cat Pose (Bidalasana)
The Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Shvanasana)
Wind Relieving Pose
Corpse Pose (Savasana)

Good luck mate!
tourist
Posted 2005-02-02 6:29 PM (#15958 - in reply to #15945)

Expert Yogi

Jazel - yoga can be very helpful for IBS. I have lots of digestive issues and used to have IBS symptoms as well but since I started a serious practice, I rarely have them. Hope youa re able to find a class!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-02 9:10 PM (#15973 - in reply to #15945)

I have asked a doctor what to do about IBS, and he said one of the biggest things that helps is to reduce stress. Yoga is WONDERFUL for that! I'm so happy to hear your doctor recommends it.

If you don't have access to a good teacher right away, you might consider asking around (friends, coworkers, etc) to see if anyone you know has a couple of DVD's you might like to try. They are all different, so don't be discouraged if you don't like the first one! That way you can get a good sampling before you buy.

I agree that the Amazon reviewers have some great advice. But I often take their advice and then go pay even less on Ebay!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-02 11:13 PM (#15979 - in reply to #15945)

Jazel:
You can do Yoga for your situation, and tremendous other benefits more important than recovery from IBS. But, for your situation, more important thing will be Pure Water, Lot of Rest, and Proper Diet.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
jebaz
Posted 2005-02-02 11:32 PM (#15982 - in reply to #15945)

Neel is on the right path. Just as the others who said that a teacher is the way to go rather than a dvd. When I first tried a yoga dvd I didn't get it. But after taking a intro course and starting a flow yoga class. My issues have all but gone away. Like many things the IBS is a combo thing. Not just one thing and not just one thing to do.

Good luck
Namaste
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)