YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teaching Pilates
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

samantha77
Posted 2005-02-04 3:53 PM (#16080)
Subject: Teaching Pilates

Extreme Veteran

I've been doing pilates since high school, when I was a dancer, but have only done mat work. I had the benefit of an instructor during high school and college, but currently I'm doing my Pilates workouts alone. I am interested in teaching Pilates, and have a question. Are there Pilates instructors who teach mat work only? The teachers I had taught the equipment as well, I just never took advantage of it. I know it owul benefit me to learn on the equipment. Would I be able to enter a teacher training program with only having mat work experience?
Samantha
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-04 4:17 PM (#16082 - in reply to #16080)
Subject: RE: Teaching Pilates

I'm no pilates expert. However, I did have a talk with my friend who is a pilates instructor about this the other day. Here is what I learned. You can get certified solely as pilates mat instructor. If you want to get certified as a reformer/machine/equipment instructor it requires lots of additional training.

Whether you can skip the mat work and just do the equipment training, I don't know, but I would guess no. I think that a complete pilates program would require you to do the mat before or during your reformer training.

Yes you can do just a mat training. For training on the equipment you will have to do a lot more training in addition. I say, get yourself some good teachers again and start asking them where they trained.
MrD
Posted 2005-02-04 6:04 PM (#16095 - in reply to #16080)

I have a yoga instructor who is just certified on the matwork. So it's clearly possible.
reinbeau
Posted 2005-02-04 6:20 PM (#16096 - in reply to #16080)

samantha77 - 2005-02-04 3:53 PM

I've been doing pilates since high school, when I was a dancer, but have only done mat work. I had the benefit of an instructor during high school and college, but currently I'm doing my Pilates workouts alone. I am interested in teaching Pilates, and have a question. Are there Pilates instructors who teach mat work only? The teachers I had taught the equipment as well, I just never took advantage of it. I know it owul benefit me to learn on the equipment. Would I be able to enter a teacher training program with only having mat work experience?
Samantha
You absolutely can be certified in just mat, Peak offers Mat 1, Mat II and Mat III, check this page .
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-04 9:57 PM (#16112 - in reply to #16096)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for that link! I'm definitely going to look into getting certified.
Samantha
easternsun
Posted 2005-02-05 3:44 AM (#16129 - in reply to #16112)

samantha77 - 2005-02-06 11:57 AM

Thanks for that link! I'm definitely going to look into getting certified.
Samantha

then, could you please move to japan as i need a certified teacher !
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-05 8:50 AM (#16137 - in reply to #16129)

Extreme Veteran

No Problem!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-05 9:31 AM (#16140 - in reply to #16080)

I have been looking into this too . . . Stott Pilates (www.stottpilates.com) and Power Pilates (www.powerpilates.com) also offer Matwork-only certification. I don't know what it's like where you live, but I can't imagine the gyms around here ever buying a reformer! Of course it would be valuable information to know, but a simple matwork course seems like a good place to start.

Another yoga teacher told me about a program called Fitour (www.fitour.com) which offers basically a correspondence course for $99. It kinda sounds like BS to me (especially since they also offer yoga, and I would not dream of taking a yoga class from a teacher trained this way). But, if you already know a lot about Pilates, and want to get started teaching while you save money for a more comprehensive course, it might be an interim measure.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes!!

Jean
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-05 10:11 AM (#16145 - in reply to #16140)

Extreme Veteran

Jean,
Thanks for the info. I'm starting Grad School in the fall so I may have to put it off for now. I'm going to try to get going on it though and maybe I can start a certification program before I start school. I let you know what I come up with!
Samantha
throwtoy
Posted 2005-02-07 1:17 PM (#16285 - in reply to #16145)

i was certified through Power Pilates and think it's fantastic! great instructors!
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-07 3:54 PM (#16297 - in reply to #16285)

Extreme Veteran

I did look into Power Pilates, and it looks like the one I would go with. They definitely offer what I was looking for. Thanks for telling me about your success with them.
Samantha
MrD
Posted 2005-02-07 6:26 PM (#16301 - in reply to #16140)

jeansyoga - 2005-02-05 9:31 AM

I have been looking into this too . . . Stott Pilates (www.stottpilates.com) and Power Pilates (www.powerpilates.com) also offer Matwork-only certification.

Another yoga teacher told me about a program called Fitour (www.fitour.com) which offers basically a correspondence course for $99. It kinda sounds like BS to me ....

Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes!!

Jean

At our gym we had an instructor who took a quickie Pilates course, and another who certified through Stott Pilates when she lived in Wisconsin. The one who took the expensive course, is a much better Teacher. She teaches more modifications, and is more precise.
tourist
Posted 2005-02-07 6:39 PM (#16304 - in reply to #16301)

Expert Yogi

MrD - I presume the more expensive course was also more extensive? We wouldn't want to think that the same amount of time plus more $$ = better teaching

But yes, it would seem to be self-evident that a better training produces a better teacher. Why does the rest of the world not see that?
MrD
Posted 2005-02-07 10:51 PM (#16312 - in reply to #16304)

tourist - 2005-02-07 6:39 PM

MrD - I presume the more expensive course was also more extensive? We wouldn't want to think that the same amount of time plus more $$ = better teaching

But yes, it would seem to be self-evident that a better training produces a better teacher. Why does the rest of the world not see that?

Yes, the more extensive training actually took place over several months.
reinbeau
Posted 2005-02-08 5:20 AM (#16324 - in reply to #16297)

samantha77 - 2005-02-07 3:54 PMI did look into Power Pilates, and it looks like the one I would go with. They definitely offer what I was looking for. Thanks for telling me about your success with them.Samantha

Power Pilates is a good choice, they're very similar to Peak (classical) and you're right, they're less money. A good instructor friend of mind is certified through Power.

Someone posted that expensive doesn't mean better, and that's correct, but a good instructor training program isn't done in a weekend, it takes time, you need observation time, hands on time, real experience teaching before you should be certified.  Time equals money, unfortunately.....although I do think the money involved in Pilates is a bit crazy, it keeps many people from coming into the Pilates world, few can afford quality lessons or quality training

Edited by reinbeau 2005-02-08 5:23 AM
pilates_cebu
Posted 2007-08-31 3:55 AM (#95424 - in reply to #16080)

Yes! ofcourse. Ive been teaching pilates in my hometown in Cebu, Philippines
and yet I dont have pilates machines. Their alot of certfication institution abroad
so i think you dont have any problem with that. Just skip the machine certification
and just get the mat.
raquel
Posted 2007-09-01 2:06 PM (#95506 - in reply to #16080)

Hy, my teacher was taught by both stott and peak, I think peak may suit you because it has more of a dance background, it incorporates rythm and timing amongst other dancy things. I was trained in mat first and have taught it for three years, I have just finished my reformer 1 today, but im glad I did the mat first, some of the girls who decided to go straight into reformers found the course very difficult.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)