YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and child-rearing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-04 5:00 PM (#16089)
Subject: Yoga and child-rearing

Just to throw this out there . . . how many of you long-term practicing yogis/yoginis have children of your own? I'm curious because nearly so many people in my age group (and geographic area) are completely focused on having and raising children. But I don't find that so much with my fellow yoga teachers. Also, yoga magazines seem to be the only ones that aren't chock full of articles about babies & kids.

Everyone's thoughts please???

Top of the page Bottom of the page
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-04 5:44 PM (#16090 - in reply to #16089)
Subject: RE: Yoga and child-rearing

Extreme Veteran

I don't have any children, nor am I a long practicing Yogini, but I have noticed that there seems to be less emphasis on families and children in yoga publications. I would be curious to know why this is as well.
Samantha
tourist
Posted 2005-02-04 6:40 PM (#16098 - in reply to #16089)

Expert Yogi

My kids are in their 20's now and I didn't practice when they were small but I know lots of people who practice and have small kids. It is a challenge, I'm sure. My own teacher practiced when her children were quite young and felt sometimes guilty that she was spending time away from them. Her teacher finally said "did you ever consider that practicing yoga will make you a better mother?" Wise teacher
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-04 6:43 PM (#16099 - in reply to #16089)

Can't say I've found that to be the case. I know lots of yoga teachers that are moms, or moms to be (off the top of my head 2 women I trained with and 3 of my favorite teachers have all had or are pregnant within the last year). Seems to be quite in fashion in NYC to be a yoga mom. Lots of mommy and me yoga around and lots of prenatal/post natal classes. I just think moms here have discovered how to maintain their practice and their lifestyle and have a family.

I suspect that in other parts of the country, people still see pregnancy and children as an end to daily practice and an active yoga lifestyle. It doesn't have to be that way. You just need to find ways to make it a real option for people.

I can't speak to why magazine's don't write about it more. As far as I can see if they can sell an accessory or a clothing line around it, it'll make its way into Yoga Journal as fast as you can say "downdog."
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-04 11:35 PM (#16115 - in reply to #16089)

I have 2 daughters who went upto state level gymnastics and were all A students in the school. They did Yoga from the age 1 yr as that was one activity in the house.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
easternsun
Posted 2005-02-05 3:10 AM (#16123 - in reply to #16089)

neel. that is really cool! i guess it is like learning a language, if you introduce it from birth - they know no different!

last year, four of my best friends had children. when i visit them, i am totally fascinated by how much work it is, how they never stop, and how they never seem to have even a minute to themselves. i have a whole new respect for mothers!

i am trying to teach them yoga (when the baby stops crying, pooping, eating) and they really like it. the biggest complaint is just not having any time to do it. of the four families, only one dad is involved in the kids lives beyond bring home the bacon. he is studying to be a buddhist monk, and spends more time at home than the others. most japanese salarymen work outside the home for atleast 12-16 hours per day......sad but true.

i really want to start a group for moms and tots - the challenge is finding the space!

my dear husband and i are currently in negotiations for our first - trying to fit it in with all the stuff going on in our lives over the next couple of years. he emailed me yesterday from india to ask "how many kids i need" (his english isnt perfect) i think the beautiful indian family vibe is rubbing off on him. continuing my studies is really important to me and i cant imagine how i would teach yoga and be pregnant...has anyone done it??

yes, i want it all - babies, yoga, travel
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-05 10:22 PM (#16171 - in reply to #16089)

Well, I flirted with Yoga after the birth of my second child, only recently approaching practice more seriously. But I have *always* devoted an hour to some type of exercise (long before discovering Yoga), and that didn't change when I had children. The girls consider it routine.

I have noticed all the teachers in our studio are childless. I'm sure it's a combination of age, timing and such, but it is an interesting observation.

As a mom, I'm kind of glad YJ doesn't do too many articles on children. I live it day in and day out, I've read the popular child rearing books ~ now that my kids are a little older, I'm a little tired of the advice articles. But that's just me.
jebaz
Posted 2005-02-07 11:10 AM (#16273 - in reply to #16089)

I am not a long time yogi , not yet 2 years but I am a stay at home dad with 3 kids 5, 3, and 3 months. Two out of three of the local yoga teachers are moms and long time yoga practicner's. One of these yoga teachers teachs a yoga for kids class.

I think that while there are not articles directly about parenting, learning to care for oneself makes you a better parent, spouce, or what ever hat in life you wear.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)