YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More Energy???
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-04 6:31 PM (#16097)
Subject: More Energy???

Here is a great message I received the other day. I replied offline, but thought it was a great topic for the Forum. She hasn't written me back yet so I've gone ahead and changed her name, just in case. If she comes along and wants to take credit later, that would be great.

Originally written by "ManicPanic" (2005-01-29 10:50 PM)

Hi, my name is Ana. I just registered and was reading through the Forums when I ran across your message. You seem to know a lot about the body and I was just wondering if you could give me some tips on how to naturally gain energy.
This is my situation:
I am a full time student and employee. I go to school 2 days a week (start at 8 end at 2 and then work 5 days a week usually totaling 45+hrs. I recently started "trying" to wake up early on the days I don't have school to do an hour of Yoga before starting my work day, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I get home at about 9 every night and go to sleep at like 11 pm after I do all of my prep for the next day. (I am doing the Yoga for Weight Loss) In the span of a week I have to say that I've actually waken up early about 3 times. I really enjoy doing yoga and would like to continue. If you could give me some tips I would greatly appreciate it.

MY RESPONSE:
Ana

That's a great question. Why don't you post this up on the board? Seriously, if you don't mind, I'll post it up on the board because I think it's a great discussion.

I don't know where to begin. Let me tell you my story. I work a full time job (40-50hrs/wk) and I teach 4 yoga classes and 2 jiu-jitsu classes per week, minimum. Occassionally I sub for other teachers and can teach as many as 6-8 yoga classes some weeks.

Do I have more energy than other people? I don't know. I don't think so. I think I just enjoy the things that I do and I make them priorities.

As for finding more energy, you should consider a few different things and see which of them works for you:

First, sleep. Consider getting as much sleep as possible. Get dark heavy curtains and sleep in a pitchblack and silent room.

Second, diet. Drink a lot of water work up to drinking a gallon a day. Cut some carbs from your diet. Refined sugar, refined flour and high glycemic index foods can cause insulin spikes which will cause you to crash and feel lethargic. Cut partially hydrogenated oils and trans fatty acids. Add lean proteins, fruits and vegetables.

Third, supplements. I think a good antioxidant supplement (A, C, E, Zinc and Magnesium) makes sense along with Omega 3 supplements (Ecosanoids).

Fourth, exercise. Exercise has great benefits including giving you more energy. Whether you do yoga, run, box, walk, dance or lift weights, doesn't matter. Just do something. Whether you do it in the morning, at lunch or before bed, doesn't matter. Just do something.

Finally, experiment. Coffee, tea, yerba matte and/or anything else that you like, is worth trying if it works for you. Yeah, some yogis swear off stimulants, but there are plenty that don't mind a little buzz. There are tons of products on the market that guaranty more energy. If you are searching for a quick fix, you can have a lot of fun experimenting with tons of crazy stuff. Tahitian Noni Juice, Ginseng, BodyQuicken, RedBull, SuperGreens, Green Vibrance, etc.

I still think the best source of energy is to love what you do.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mkotya
Posted 2005-02-04 8:58 PM (#16105 - in reply to #16097)
Subject: RE: More Energy???

Great response, Keith!
I would like to add that we ALL have very busy schedules and finding time is difficult. However, doing yoga for 15 minutes is better than not doing it at all and that is what saves me. Whenever I don't have an hour or two, I just do a really short yoga routine. Even 5 minutes is better than none. Surely, you can find 5 minutes in a day to do a few asanas. Perhaps, some days you can allocate 30. But doing yoga regularly even in small portions will help build up your energy and confidence and make you feel better about yourself.
Best of luck!

Just noticed that the user posted her original question on the board. Here is a link to the thread:
http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18316

Edited by mkotya 2005-02-04 9:07 PM
easternsun
Posted 2005-02-05 3:16 AM (#16125 - in reply to #16097)
Subject: RE: More Energy???

a fabulous answer keith. you should post it in yoga for weightloss too!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)