YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More schlebs
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-06 7:13 PM (#16216)
Subject: More schlebs

Some time ago we had a little thread about celebs doing yoga. I forgot where it was exactly. Anywho, here are some more famous people and fellow yoga students:

Yehudi Menuhin (studied with Iyengar), Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan, Madonna (yes, you knew that already), Gwyneth Paltrow, Willem Dafoe, Christy Turlington, Sharon Stone, David 'Mulder' Duchovny and Flea (bass player/Red Hot Chili Peppers). The last two guys are students of a certain Rainbeau Mars btw.

Let's start a celebrity yogis collection ... your turn ...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-06 8:35 PM (#16217 - in reply to #16216)
Subject: RE: More schlebs

The other guitarist from Red Hot Chili Peppers (forgot his name) and Sting.

My teacher just attended a workshop last weekend and was surprised to see Sting next to her. She spent two hours trying to think of something cool to say to him and ended up never saying a word. But she added, "My SHOES were next to his!"

I think Sheryl Crow practices Yoga as well. And one of the women from NYPD Blue ~ Sharon somethin'-or-other.

Next!
LoraB
Posted 2005-02-07 9:49 AM (#16259 - in reply to #16216)

Kabu, are you thinking of Anthony Kiedis from the Chili Peppers? If I recall correctly and am not mixing him up with Flea (wow, how often do you get to say that!?) he is/was really into Kundalini yoga. I'm pretty sure Dave Navarro practices as well - or at the very least I saw this on his wedding show on MTV (can't remember the name of it...)

My ex and I were having a cocktail at a swank hotel bar right when we first moved to Chicago, and he came back from the restroom and told me he saw Sting....He looked at me like I was crazy for thinking he would violate the male bathroom code of silence just to talk to Sting.
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-07 2:51 PM (#16290 - in reply to #16216)

Extreme Veteran

I saw something on FITtv about Astanga yoga. They interviewes Willem Dafoe, and Gwyneth Paltrow about studying with Guruji. Woody Harrelson also studies Yoga. Supposedly, he was the one who got Rainbeau Mars started on it when they were filming The People vs. Larry Flynt.
Samantha
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-07 6:34 PM (#16302 - in reply to #16259)

LoraB - 2005-02-07 3:49 PM

Kabu, are you thinking of Anthony Kiedis from the Chili Peppers? If I recall correctly and am not mixing him up with Flea (wow, how often do you get to say that!?) he is/was really into Kundalini yoga. I'm pretty sure Dave Navarro practices as well - or at the very least I saw this on his wedding show on MTV (can't remember the name of it...)

Lora, Anthony Kiedis is not a guitarist but the singer with RHCP. It probably is Dave Navarro, who indeed played as substitute guitarist with RHCP for some time. That makes 3 of the peppers yoga students. Cool! Everything that keeps 'em away from the drugs ...
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-07 8:12 PM (#16306 - in reply to #16302)

Actually, it's the lesser known, current guitarist ~ the one Dave Navarro replaced for awhile. It bugs me that I can't remember his name, but he was a serious heroin addict. That's why he disappeared for a bit, but he cleaned up his act.

I didn't know the other guys in the band practiced.

*Edited because I *had* to look up this guy's name: John Frusciante

Edited by Kabu 2005-02-07 8:18 PM
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-08 4:11 PM (#16352 - in reply to #16216)

Okay, that makes 4 of alltogether 5 peppers yoga practitoners. Have you seen John Frusciante lately? OMG, he's only a shadow of the man he once was. He looks like hell and, even worse, he can't play the guitar anymore. Imagine Muhammad Ali trying to play, that's how bad he looks ... and sounds.
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-08 8:49 PM (#16371 - in reply to #16352)

Oh man, I hope he isn't on drugs again. Or maybe he contracted something during his heroin years and it has caught up with him. That would suck.
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-10 10:36 PM (#16574 - in reply to #16216)

I read Angelina Jolie practiced Yoga while working on the Tomb Raider movie.

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-10 10:42 PM (#16578 - in reply to #16574)

Expert Yogi

Did she have a hard time with shoulder stand and forward bends?
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-10 10:46 PM (#16579 - in reply to #16578)

I didn't ask her.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Also guitarist Kirk Hammett from Metallica.

afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-11 1:43 PM (#16629 - in reply to #16579)

Dragon - 2005-02-11 4:46 AM
Also guitarist Kirk Hammett from Metallica.

Yah, he's always been the sissy of the band.
MrD
Posted 2005-02-11 1:55 PM (#16631 - in reply to #16216)

Catherine Bell of JAG does yoga exclusively. Hot tempered John McEnroe of tennis fame is a Bikram afficionado.

Edited by MrD 2005-02-11 1:56 PM
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 2:11 AM (#16830 - in reply to #16631)

Found some more...

Drew Barrymore
Halle Berry
Nicholas Cage
Jody Foster
Gwyneth Paltrow

...and Jerry Seinfeld.

Edited by Dragon 2005-02-14 2:29 AM
loli
Posted 2005-02-14 11:27 AM (#16872 - in reply to #16216)

In the UK,
I have rubbed shoulders (almost) with David Walliams (the tall guy in "Little Britain", hit comedy over here) and Mel C (aka Sporty Spice) in yoga classes in London.....

Edited by loli 2005-02-14 11:28 AM
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-28 7:57 PM (#17973 - in reply to #16216)

Just found this list on the South African Moksha site:

* Christy Turlington
* Sting
* Madonna
* Gwyneth Paltrow
* Meg Ryan
* Paul Simon
* Ricky Martin
* Michelle Pfeiffer
* Jane Fonda (ditched aerobics)
* Drew Barrymore
* Woody Harrelson
* Courtney Love
* John McEnroe
* Donna Karan
* Sarah Jessica Parker
* Robbie Williams
* Geri Haliwell
* Willem Dafoe
* Steve Martin
* Frank Bruno
* Kareem Abdul-Jabber
* Charlie Sheen
* Angelina Jolie
* Uma Thurman
* Ethan Hawke
* Penelope Cruz
* Sharon Stone
* Monica Lewinsky

... Monica Lewinsky??? So the stain on her dress really was just some sweat from her exhausting yoga practice?

And here's what they had to say:

“I was interested in cleaning my body on a deeper level. Yoga really purifies your organs and blood. You feel that. You feel that circulation of energy.”
Christy Turlington

"They say that when the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear. My yoga journey began in 1990. My first teacher Danny (Paradise), walked into my studio in London and asked if I wanted to learn yoga. I had no idea what yoga was but I was intrigued enough to ask him to show me. Which he did. I was impressed by both his quiet confidence and the strength and flexibility that he demonstrated. I was even more impressed after I tried to emulate some of his movements.
I had always thought myself as fit. My job demands it. I was an athlete when I was younger and ran every day. But could I bend forward and lay my palms on the floor with straight legs? No way. Nor could I complete a simple sun salutation without huffing and puffing like an old train. This teacher's breath had been smooth and effortless. I asked him to come to my house the next day and teach me."
Sting, from the Foreword to 'Jivamukti Yoga'

'She (Madonna) is fanatical about Ashtanga yoga - an ancient and powerful discipline for cultivating holistic health. "There are no rules. All you need is dedication," she explains.

She believes that fitness, like spiritual enlightenment, is a lifelong pursuit, not a temporary fix. Her daily dose of yoga comprises progressive techniques of breath and posture that cleanse, stretch and strengthen the body, and that focus and calm the mind.

"I began practising yoga after I had my daughter. I practise for an hour and a half every day," she explains. (If you'd like to cultivate her shapely curves, watch out for a book she's rumoured to be penning on the subject.)'
Longevity magazine, August 2002

A friend told the US magazine Globe: "Jois's disciplines are the backbone of Gwyneth's life. She gets up at the crack of dawn to do stretching and strength exercises and to meditate. She says the guru has made her stronger, happier and much, much sexier. Gwyneth looks sensational and tells friends that his message is the key to everything."'
Sunday Times 17 February 2002

"Ashtanga yoga has completely changed me. I try to do it everyday, and the effect is amazing. It's not just during the hours that I'm practising. It's about how it filters through into the rest of my life.It makes all the other bull**** dissipate. Who I am has emerged and everything else has gone by the wayside."
Gwenyth Paltrow on keeping fit. (Marie Claire' Octoder 2003)
'Paltrow, who was once engaged to Brad Pitt, started practising the ancient Ashtanga system of yoga four years ago and is a passionate pupil. She gets up at 4am six days a week to workout and never skips it "unless I'm ill".
Gwenyth Paltrow

Edited by afroyogi 2005-02-28 8:00 PM
LoraB
Posted 2005-02-28 10:54 PM (#17987 - in reply to #16216)

4am??? I don't know if I would call that dedication. Madness, maybe, but dedication?

I'm lucky if I can get myself to practice 4 times a week! But that might be because I have to work on a daily basis. Yeah, if not for that I would SO be up at 4am practicing! That's the ticket!
ganesha
Posted 2005-03-01 4:03 AM (#17993 - in reply to #16216)
Subject: Brahmamuhurta

Dawn is a very good time for your sadhana; this is what Swami Sivananda has to say about it:

"Get up at 4 a.m. daily. This is Brahmamuhurta which is extremely favourable for Sadhana. Do all your morning spiritual Sadhana during this period from 4 a.m. to 6:30 or 7 a.m. Such Sadhana gives quick and maximum progress."

Well, I guess that 6:30 in the morning is a good compromise
Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-01 4:41 AM (#17996 - in reply to #17993)
Subject: RE: Brahmamuhurta

4am?! The only time I ever see that time of day is when I've been out partying *G*!

I understand the basic idea though.... I just don't think I'd be able to open my eyes..... can you do yoga in your sleep ;-)?

Fee
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-01 6:50 AM (#17998 - in reply to #17996)
Subject: RE: Brahmamuhurta

Expert Yogi

I think that movie people tend to be up early. I've occasionally seen film crews
in full swing (on location) just after dawn. They like the morning light, and the absence
of crowds.
bomberpig
Posted 2005-03-02 3:23 AM (#18068 - in reply to #16216)

Ganesha my problem is that 4am is not 'dawn' for me, it is the flaming middle of the night !

I wonder for people that get up at 4am, what time do they go to sleep at night ?
tourist
Posted 2005-03-02 9:55 AM (#18081 - in reply to #18068)

Expert Yogi

I'm with you bomberpig - getting up "dark and early" is no fun Actually, when my kids were little I used to say they got up "bright and surly" which would very much fit the bill if I had to be up at 4:00
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-02 10:53 AM (#18087 - in reply to #16216)

There's a 4 AM now?
yogabrian
Posted 2005-03-02 1:53 PM (#18090 - in reply to #16216)

Here are a couple more.

Racheal Welch
Charlie and Martin Sheen
Tom Smothers
Shirley Macclaine
Emilo esteves
Selma Hayek
Quincy Jones
Justine Bateman
Herbie Hancock
John Saxon
Jeff bridges
Ruth Buzzi
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Bruce lee (for a short time before he died)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)