YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Its Movie time :)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Thushara
Posted 2005-02-09 2:10 AM (#16394)
Subject: Its Movie time :)

Hey guys have you watched “million-dollar baby!” It’s a real classy movie. You will not regret the time. Its about a girl with lot of determination who fought for the Boxing title and what she ended up with. Its something unforgettable. The way she broke her neck… I can’t forget it. This reminded me about a story I heard some time back about an Indian guy who went to practice Headstand and broke his neck due to an accident.

Edited by Thushara 2005-02-09 2:12 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-09 9:49 AM (#16409 - in reply to #16394)
Subject: RE: Its Movie time :)

thushara: thanks for this. i always need help with English Movies. I shall watch it with my wife soon.
neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
mkotya
Posted 2005-02-09 11:15 AM (#16421 - in reply to #16394)

I actually didn't think the movie was that good. It was way too long, rather violent and a bit boring and predictable. Not my type of the movie, sorry.
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-09 1:55 PM (#16435 - in reply to #16394)

Extreme Veteran

Mybe I should bring my boyfriend to see it. He's a HUGE boxing fan. Then again, he's not interested in women's boxing. He doesn't think women can be serious boxers. Maybe this will change his mind?
Samantha
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-09 2:36 PM (#16448 - in reply to #16435)

samantha77 - 2005-02-10 7:55 PM

Mybe I should bring my boyfriend to see it. He's a HUGE boxing fan. Then again, he's not interested in women's boxing. He doesn't think women can be serious boxers. Maybe this will change his mind?
Samantha

You must be kidding, Samantha! I can't understand your BFs feelings against women boxing neither but he must be a really shallow person to allow his mind being changed by a hollywood movie.
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-09 4:33 PM (#16456 - in reply to #16448)

Extreme Veteran

I am kidding Even if Muhammed Ali knocked on his front door and endorsed women's boxing himself my boyfriend wouldn't change his mind. So no, a Hollywood movie certainly wouldn't.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-09 6:03 PM (#16462 - in reply to #16394)

Sam, do you know Regina Halmich? She's like world champion or sumthing. One german showmaster made some "fun" of her and invited her to a live fight during his show. Okay, they built a ring in the TV studio, it was all over the newspapers and Germany was waiting for the great moment. It turned out to be a short moment. Only a few seconds into round one the famous TV personality went down unconsciously with heavy concussion, broken nose and jaw bone. Okay, he's not really a boxer (he had some weeks of training with a famous coach though) but he definately made his last jokes about lady boxers.

Posted 2005-02-09 6:29 PM (#16463 - in reply to #16462)

Speaking of shallow...my endorsement for "Million Dollar Baby" is thumbs up--Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman are entertaining and Hilary Swank all buff and sweaty--whatz not to like?
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-09 8:29 PM (#16466 - in reply to #16462)

Extreme Veteran

No, I've never heard of Regina Halmich. That's a cool story though, I'll have to tell my BF. I sometimes tell him he deserves a good butt whooping, and if it was at the hands of a female boxer, it would serve him right, that chauvinist!
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-10 12:06 AM (#16492 - in reply to #16466)

How much you guys spend on a movie? I mean renting a DVD??
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-10 12:08 AM (#16493 - in reply to #16421)

mkotya - 2005-02-10 10:15 PM

I actually didn't think the movie was that good. It was way too long, rather violent and a bit boring and predictable. Not my type of the movie, sorry.

Its really great!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-10 7:11 AM (#16504 - in reply to #16492)

Expert Yogi

DVD rentals are roughly US$3.00 to US$4.00. You can keep them
for five or six days unless they are very recent releases.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-10 4:37 PM (#16547 - in reply to #16394)

Since my wife and me are some movie buffs we take out contracts at the videotheque. We pay 110 ZAR (that's roughly 15$) and can rent 15 movies for that. They have to be brought back right the next day though. But at least it's not as in Bikram, there's no time limit on the contract
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-10 5:12 PM (#16549 - in reply to #16394)

Just so that everyone knows what this thread is all about I copied this amateur review from the IMDb:

92 out of 117 people found the following comment useful:-
Loved The Ride, 20 December 2004
Author: delcash006 von New York City

Million Dollar Baby is a movie about boxing like Braveheart is a movie about men in kilts riding horses. What it is is a movie to experience if you find yourself ever entertaining thoughts about loyalty, determination, talent, no talent, age, youth, courage, fear, fate, and the pain and joy of both living and dying.

I read reviews of Million Dollar Baby and expected to like it. Roger Ebert can be soft on movies because he is plainly a big fan, but even he does not lightly toss around the M-word, masterpiece. Yet he drops it on MDB, and justly so. The story is simple and searing. A gal (Hilary Swank) with much heart and no experience aspires to be the champion of the world. She is Rocky in a sports bra. A grizzled fight trainer-manager/gym owner (Clint Eastwood) reluctantly takes her on. His best pal and wise-man assistant (Morgan Freemna) stands alongside them, as the plot unwinds steadily, seamlessly, picking up speed, scene by scene, act after act. Eastwood and Freeman are artists at the top of their profession and they, along with the brilliant Swank, present you the very worthy lives of three people you will care about and remember. The arena is boxing, but it might as well have been boating or baking. It is a story about values and truths that far exceed sports and movies. I walked into the Lowes Lincoln Square theater last night knowing Million Dollar Baby was taking me on a ride and willing to hop aboard. What a beautiful, memorable ride it was.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-10 10:12 PM (#16563 - in reply to #16549)

Expert Yogi

Hmm.... haven't seen this film. Freeman and Eastwood are actually decent
actors, and Hillary Swank did well in that one where she got murdered b/c some
guy was jealous of her sexual powers. Still, I don't like boxing, or tragedy. I made
the total mistake of watching Mystic River recently (another Eastwood-directed piece).
I am sooooooo bored with Sean Penn getting worked up and killing people, just like
I am sooooooo bored with Tim Robbins' weirdo roles. And I'm bored with movies
that want to make the East Coast "gritty". FO, okay?

So, that's my totally unfair assessment of a movie that I have not seen, but will probably
watch on DVD in a year or two.
mkotya
Posted 2005-02-11 7:22 PM (#16658 - in reply to #16563)

Bay Guy - 2005-02-10 10:12 PM
And I'm bored with movies
that want to make the East Coast "gritty". FO, okay?

Yuck, what angry language, Bad Guy. How very un-yogic. Better take your own advice above and practice more of that yoga.

Edited by mkotya 2005-02-11 7:22 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-11 10:33 PM (#16669 - in reply to #16658)

Expert Yogi

Oh I'm yucky, and calling me Bad Guy is so nice. Tisk, Tisk! But
I admit I fall short of yogic standards, so I will have to practice for
many more lifetimes.

Still, you live in the Northeast, do you think that "gritty" describes
your world? I think that the gritty Northeast was invented by movie
makers to scare people from LA -- you know, the same ones who
think that New Yorkers are rude.
mkotya
Posted 2005-02-12 12:15 PM (#16697 - in reply to #16669)

Bay Guy - 2005-02-11 10:33 PM
Oh I'm yucky, and calling me Bad Guy is so nice. Tisk, Tisk! But
I admit I fall short of yogic standards, so I will have to practice for
many more lifetimes.

Still, you live in the Northeast, do you think that "gritty" describes
your world? I think that the gritty Northeast was invented by movie
makers to scare people from LA -- you know, the same ones who
think that New Yorkers are rude.

Slapping my wrist as I write...
I am always very careful when it comes to stereotyping. It piles us up, individuals, into the same category and devoids us of those unique qualities and personalities we all possess. My view of the world and people in the Northeast may be entirely different from that of my next door neighbor. So, in my purely subjective opinion, "gritty" in not the way of the Northeast. In fact, I found New York, New Haven, Newport, Boston and other cities more welcoming and friendly than unforgiving and harsh. So many times when my car broke down, strangers stopped to help me. Taxi drivers would give me directions out of the windows of their cars. So many of those New Yorkers, Bostonians and others opened their hearts to help me, that I cannot possibly call the East Coast gritty. Of course, there are always those that are straightforward and will tell you what they really think of you. (Being the person that I am, I actually like this trait of character in people). Then, there are others that will be nice to your face, but cut you no slack behind your back. But that's the way people have always been, everywhere you look.
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-13 9:55 PM (#16795 - in reply to #16547)

afroyogi - 2005-02-11 3:37 AM

Since my wife and me are some movie buffs we take out contracts at the videotheque. We pay 110 ZAR (that's roughly 15$) and can rent 15 movies for that. They have to be brought back right the next day though. But at least it's not as in Bikram, there's no time limit on the contract

Afroyogi, I think its quite a good deal., I spend Rs 100 = (1USD - almost the same) to rent a DVD and my average is about 4-5 movies per week. Sometimes I watch camera copies as I cant wait till I get the original ....Too bad..

Edited by Thushara 2005-02-13 9:57 PM
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 1:17 AM (#16814 - in reply to #16394)

It's like $5.00 to rent a new movie here. :-P (Not including sales tax.)

A little expensive.
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-14 1:21 AM (#16815 - in reply to #16814)

Dont watch movies then
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 1:22 AM (#16816 - in reply to #16815)

Nope, too expensive! I see them years later when they're on network TV.

Thushara
Posted 2005-02-14 1:27 AM (#16819 - in reply to #16816)

Poor Dragon Ohh I wish if I could help you . Wont your friends give you DVDs when they hire them? too bad. ,.. Fire them all..
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 1:29 AM (#16820 - in reply to #16819)

My friends are poor too! LOL! We generally like totally different movies as well. Sometimes we'll accidently like something similar. If something GREAT comes out - say Resident Evil Apocalypse - I find a way to buy it when it's on sale. :-)

Maybe when that Chinese chef comes along, we can go to a movie.

Edited by Dragon 2005-02-14 1:31 AM
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-14 1:34 AM (#16821 - in reply to #16820)

if you behave well only ok., He doent like your heavy metal craze.. though .. Ah he asked me to show him a pic of you..

You better find a job which makes you rich., ..

Edited by Thushara 2005-02-14 1:36 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)