YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yogi's thoughts on Music :)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Thushara
Posted 2005-02-10 11:02 PM (#16583)
Subject: Yogi's thoughts on Music :)

How about yogi’s taste of music?? Do you think your taste has changed after adding Yoga in to your life style?

I’m curious about your taste of music in general, rap, rock, techno, pop urban, classic R&B or what ever you name it.. What’s your favorite song? Music?? Band???

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-10 11:02 PM (#16584 - in reply to #16583)
Subject: RE: Yogi's thoughts on Music :

Heavy Metal.

Edited after finishing reading the question...

I do listen to Yoga music while doing Yoga of course. :-) I couldn't imagine headbanging music while trying to do meditation! I did actually buy three yoga music cds as well. I listen to a variety of stuff.

Favorite band!? That's a hard question... I'll go with Metallica.

Edited by Dragon 2005-02-10 11:19 PM
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-10 11:14 PM (#16587 - in reply to #16584)

You didnt tell us your favourite song and band though....

its difficult to find a Chinese chef who listen to heavy metal But I wont give up

Enough playing.. off for a meeting now! Have a great day @Q!!!

Edited by Thushara 2005-02-10 11:14 PM
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-10 11:15 PM (#16588 - in reply to #16587)

Sorry, I edited it and added the band. :-) I'll have to think about the favorite song... hmmm...

I've only dated one guy ... okay maybe two... with similar musical tastes. I'll listen to almost anything... I like variety. I have a freind now who likes a lot of different music, and I give it all a try. I live in Tennessee and don't like country music though, ha ha!

Edited by Dragon 2005-02-10 11:20 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-02-11 10:10 AM (#16611 - in reply to #16583)

Expert Yogi

I have pretty eclectic taste in music. Everything from 1940's big band to "classic" rock (its the age thing...) to musicals, classical, blues etc. I don't listen to "yoga music" when I practice but when my kids were still living at home I got to hear all kinds of stuff, from Pink Floyd to Ani di Franco whether I wanted to or not

My favourite band is some local kids called Antilles and my favourite song of theirs is Madison Avenue. You can hear it at: http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?mode=longBio&Band_Id=12129

OK, I'll confess! It is my son's band A proud mama has to promote wherever she can!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-11 11:51 AM (#16618 - in reply to #16583)
Subject: RE: Yogi's thoughts on Music :)

I hated yoga music until I became a yoga teacher. Now I have a ton of yoga music on my ipod: Krishna Das, Jai Uttal, Bhagavan Das, Wah!, Deva Premal, etc.. Nonetheless, I still play Led Zeppelin, Jeff Buckley, Marvin Gaye, Massive Attack, Morcheeba, Jill Scott, Caetano Velosa, Cesaria Evora, Chico Cesar, Daude, Bebel Gilberto, Fatboy Slim, Tuck & Patti, Gavin DeGraw, Beatles, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Buena Vista Social Club, Baba Olatunji, Christina Aguilera, D'Angelo, Maxwell, Sarah MacLachlin, Hendrix, Outkast, Holly Cole, Poison, Bon Jovi and Guns & Roses in my classes. You never know what to expect. I get about a 7 to 1 ratio of people saying they love the music I play to the person that hates it and asks me to turn it down. I'm happy with that ratio.

Still working on my Valentine's day mix for this weekend. It's tough!

Keith
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-11 2:14 PM (#16633 - in reply to #16583)

For me it has to be fast, hard and loud ... or better faster, harder, louder!!!
No, really, with the age my taste mellows a bit I'm afraid to say. Now, very often I listen to jazz of the acoustic type with no brass. I hate everything blown into, like saxophones and stuff. My momentary favorite artist is Cassandra Wilson, not that I like singers but she's got a marvellous band!
Some of my favourites are (in no particular order or style):
- All the old 60s hippie and 70s glam-rock bands
- Many of the late 70s/early 80s punk bands
- Queens of the Stone Age / Kyuss
- Suicidal Tendencies (and their sidekick band The Infectious Grooves)
- Mother's Finest (in their late phase)
- Oceansize
- Everything Reggae and Dub (that stuff grows on you when you live in Cape Town's hippie community)
- Barbara Dennerlein (a german hammond organ jazzer)
- 24-7 Spyz
- Shootyz Groove
- Ash
- Springbok Nude Girls (my favourite SA band, very funny)
- BOO! (also a pretty cool gay band from SA)
- Urban Dance Squad
- Smashing Pumpkins
- RHCP
- Living Colour
- NEIL YOUNG!!!
- plus a lot more that I just forgot ... for example all the grunge bands of the early 90s

I just asked a friend of mine, who is a musician, musical scientist and a bit of a composer, to make me a recording which I can use for practice and meditation. Although I don't like "yoga music" I hope he will come up with something decent. Newest reports from his home-studio are telling me that he's already busy recording "the most boring **** you'll ever hear!" I'm really looking forward to it

Here's a shameless plug for my buddy's new band FAST SEATBELTS, who are playing many rock standards in true 50s rock'n'roll style:
www.fast-seat-belts.de

Rock on!

Edited by afroyogi 2005-02-11 2:21 PM
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-13 10:29 PM (#16796 - in reply to #16633)

I don’t think I have such a good taste in music., I need music, when relaxing or when I’m in the dance floor. I like MLTR as a band and normally I like hip hop, R&B and classical music.. Of course I like Country music too. Ohhh… heavy metal is not my type of music at all.. But Alt.Rock.. Yeah cool..I love yoga music anyway...

Some of my favorite songs are :

It’s not my fate to have you here with me – by REO Speedwagon (quite old song but lovely)
Take me dancing tonight – stolen car
When I look to the sky – train
Drops of Jupitor - Train
Sleeping child, Actor, Paint my love - MLTR
wake me up inside - Evanescence (Dare Devil Song)
Thank you for loving me – Bon jovi
And most of the songs sung by west life, bon Jovi, dido, Shakira and Brain Adams
Eastern - I like sythar music by Ravi Shankar and most of the songs by Latha mangeshkar

Edited by Thushara 2005-02-13 10:36 PM
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-13 10:53 PM (#16797 - in reply to #16618)

YogaGuy - 2005-02-12 10:51 PM

Still working on my Valentine's day mix for this weekend. It's tough!

Keith

Seems you are going to make soem money on Valantines's day . LOL

What do you use for mixing ?do you use Software Synthesizers and Samplers or do you have a console, mixer and the whole set up? Which brands and models ?

Any way Happy Valentine's day for you (Coz you worked very hard on it ) How did the Partner yoga thing work ??

Edited by Thushara 2005-02-13 10:57 PM
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-14 12:43 AM (#16805 - in reply to #16797)

Sorry., I said "Happy valentines day to you" .. (For you is wrong english yaah .. I didnt see tio correct it )
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 1:00 AM (#16811 - in reply to #16583)

Oooh, I like Evanescence too. :-)

Some of my non heavy favorites are Avril Lavigne, Jewel, No Doubt, Alanis Morissette, and Janis Joplin. 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, and Matchbox20 are some of my other non-heavy likes. They're more like "Rock" or "Alternative" I guess. Some music seems to flow into others. Like Sheryl Crow is kind of country according to my mom, but I don't think she is. We both like her.

More heavy favorites besides Metallica - Marilyn Manson, Disturbed, Dreamtheater, Korn...

Battlelore isn't very popluar here but is awesome - they sing songs bases on Lord of the Rings. :-)

I still don't know about favorite song. I really like "Sometimes It Be That Way" and "Love Me But Leave Me Alone" by Jewel and "The Unnamed Feeling" by Metallica.

Jewel is a BIG favorite too. Her poetry book rocks. Metallica AND Jewel I think are both my favorites. :-) They're so different, it's so hard to compare them. :-)

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-14 12:08 PM (#16874 - in reply to #16797)

Thushara - 2005-02-13 10:53 PM

What do you use for mixing ?do you use Software Synthesizers and Samplers or do you have a console, mixer and the whole set up? Which brands and models ?

Any way Happy Valentine's day for you (Coz you worked very hard on it ) How did the Partner yoga thing work ??

Thushara - I don't actually do a DJ mix although I would love to get the software and start doing that. I should have been more exact and said that I've been working on my VDay iTunes Playlist. I already spend a ton of time on playlists...getting into editing and mixing would force me to quit my job. However, I do wish sometimes that I could cut some songs short and crossfade them with other songs. One day

Vday playlist (short version):
Norah Jones, Lyle Lovett, Iron & Wine, Peter Stuart, Prince, Marvin Gaye, Keane, Elton John, Tuck & Patti, Ben Harper, John Mayer, Gavin Degraw, Bon Jovi, Joe 90, Paul Simon, Maxwell, Sade, Eric Clapton, Tuck & Patti, Holly Cole...

As for the Couples Yoga classes....UNBELIEVABLE!!! We has 7 couples on Saturday night and it was great. Really warm and fun and magical. I think all the nervous guys relaxed and had fun. Everybody was so cute with their partners. Helping each other and massaging each other and taking care of each other. Really a joy to teach. I wish all classes were filled with such love!

Dragon, check out www.metaljudgment.com reviews of CDs and concerts and stuff...also see www.metalupdate.com for metal news. Great sites. I have to figure out if I'm going to the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival again this year! Won't be much yoga up there though...

Edited by YogaGuy 2005-02-14 12:09 PM
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-14 12:37 PM (#16876 - in reply to #16583)

Extreme Veteran

I think my taste in music has mellowed out as yoga became a bigger and bigger part of my lifestyle or maybe it's just that as I've gotten older, my taste has just changed. I used to listen to Marilyn Manson, and Metallica mainly. Oddly enough at the same time I was a big fan of Sarah Mclauglin. I would have to say my current favorite musician is Jack Johnson, but I also listen to Gavin DeGraw, Sarah McLaughlin, Ben Harper, Jeff Buckley, Nikka Costa, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Juanes and Sheryl Crow. My longtime favorite bands are The Black Crows, and the Goo Goo Dolls. I've been a big fan of both those bands since high school. I recently started listening to Nick Drake. I absolutely love what I've heard so far. He is so relaxing to listen to on the way home from work, or on a long drive. I don't think I can actually pick a favorite song. I have a current favorite, which would be 'Pink Moon' by Nick Drake, but my favorite song always changes.
Samantha
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 9:12 PM (#16904 - in reply to #16876)

Dragon, check out www.metaljudgment.com reviews of CDs and concerts and stuff...also see www.metalupdate.com for metal news. Great sites. I have to figure out if I'm going to the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival again this year! Won't be much yoga up there though...

Oooh, I will check those out! As for the festival, I'd go for it! It won't be everyday you get a chance for that right?

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-14 10:02 PM (#16914 - in reply to #16796)

Expert Yogi

Thushara - 2005-02-13 10:29 PM
Some of my favorite songs are :

It’s not my fate to have you here with me – by REO Speedwagon (quite old song but lovely)

Old? I remember that like yesterday! It plays in my car (when not playing Kirtan, of course),
along with such treasures as Yes (Fragile), the Zep Force..aka Led Zeppelin (at the moment,
Presence), and anything from Rush. I would play Santana, but I have no decent CD's at the
moment (I bought that dismal greatest hits collection, but it was so bad that I gave it away;
eventually, I will get Moonflower or Zebop).

How about *this* for old: Kraftwerk (Autobahn) !

And the newer part of my music catalog: The B-52's and U2 (nothing after Joshua Tree, sorry)

I am also playing the Yoga Sutras in my car. I can do about half of the Samhadi Pada from
memory.
miss dee
Posted 2005-02-15 4:02 PM (#16973 - in reply to #16583)

hello all-

I teach at least 3 classes a week to music, usually more.
here is my experience:

I do not use any commercial or 'popular' music at all. I burn custom CDs with my computer from all of the spiritual/kirtan/yoga cd's i have collected over the years and from tracks I have downloaded on iTunes.

Music is very powerful- so I have always had concerns that someone might have connection to a popular or classic song that is unpleasant. even if it is as simple as 'that's my aunt violet's favorite song'... you might not want the student to be thinking about Auntie V while practicing.

At first I was concerned that my students might be turned off by the mantras and kirtans but I soon came to trust these ancient sounds. their wisdom and power is revealed to ALL that hear them in a way that is perfect for the listener. not one student has requested different music. they love this class and will often request a 'silent' class if all the students in attendance are experienced. I try to burn a different mix every couple of weeks and switch them around. it feels good to see the students benefit from this awesome sadhana in a way that is effortless for them. it's very good karma for everyone involved.

jai jai kirtan!
dee

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-15 4:53 PM (#16978 - in reply to #16973)

miss dee - 2005-02-15 4:02 PM

hello all-

I teach at least 3 classes a week to music, usually more.
here is my experience:

I do not use any commercial or 'popular' music at all. I burn custom CDs with my computer from all of the spiritual/kirtan/yoga cd's i have collected over the years and from tracks I have downloaded on iTunes.

Music is very powerful- so I have always had concerns that someone might have connection to a popular or classic song that is unpleasant. even if it is as simple as 'that's my aunt violet's favorite song'... you might not want the student to be thinking about Auntie V while practicing.

At first I was concerned that my students might be turned off by the mantras and kirtans but I soon came to trust these ancient sounds. their wisdom and power is revealed to ALL that hear them in a way that is perfect for the listener. not one student has requested different music. they love this class and will often request a 'silent' class if all the students in attendance are experienced. I try to burn a different mix every couple of weeks and switch them around. it feels good to see the students benefit from this awesome sadhana in a way that is effortless for them. it's very good karma for everyone involved.

jai jai kirtan!
dee

Dee
I certainly respect your opinion and you are entitled to teach your class and program your music any way you choose. More power to you.

However, I take exception to your concern that people may have a "connection to a popular or classic song that is unpleasant." People can have a negative reaction to ANY song or music whether it is popular or not. People can be just as annoyed by Krishna Das as by Led Zeppelin. Furthermore, the shirt you wear is as likely to cause them to think about "Auntie V" as a Cole Porter tune. Why do you think that you can control that? How do you know that Auntie V wasn't a horrible person that listened to Jai Uttal? Some things are out of your control such as what goes through your students head during class. You can set a mood and can point them in the direction, but (to mix metaphors) you can't make them drink.

I'm not saying you are wrong in turning to chants and kirtan music and playing that stuff for your class. That stuff is great. I just think you are maybe denegrating popular music for no good reason. Or placing some special importance on spiritual/kirtan/yoga music that may or may not be deserved.

You said yourself that "music is very powerful." I agree totally. But why say one style is "better" or somehow more "valid" than the other. It seems to me that Gospel music is no less spritual. Why not play a Bach chorale? Why not play a song that everyone knows the words to and understands the message?

I'm not trying to pick on you. Honestly. I just think you touched on something that I've been thinking about for a while. Why is the word "Om" more universal than the word "love" or some other random mix of vowels and consonants? I wonder if you wouldn't get more mileage out of chanting (or as I call it singing) a word that you understand vs. a word that you have to look up. Sometimes I think "Om" is like the algebraic "x", the variable that could stand for anything. We could ascribe any meaning to it and that would be great. Beyond that, why is praising Shiva better than praising G-d or Jimi Hendrix or just singing about Love?

I don't expect you to answer this, Dee. I'm not putting you on the spot. I'm just using your post as a sounding board for my rant. To say I prefer the mood that yoga music sets, is totally subjective and I can't argue with that. You should play what you like and that is a matter of taste and is part of your style. However, saying that yoga music is somehow more spiritual or that it doesn't cause any negative associations, is just plain conjecture.
tourist
Posted 2005-02-15 6:48 PM (#16987 - in reply to #16978)

Expert Yogi

My husband happens to detest anything with sitar-like sounds, including some of the wonderful old Beatles songs and I know others who cringe as much at the sound of a harmonium as others do (wrongly, IMHO) to the sound of the noble bagpipe A class with music would be very distracting for me, but perhaps that's why I got shoved toward Iyengar yoga by the "powers that be."
MrD
Posted 2005-02-15 7:09 PM (#16990 - in reply to #16978)

YogaGuy - 2005-02-15 4:53 PM

I'm not saying you are wrong in turning to chants and kirtan music and playing that stuff for your class. That stuff is great. I just think you are maybe denegrating popular music for no good reason. Or placing some special importance on spiritual/kirtan/yoga music that may or may not be deserved.

You said yourself that "music is very powerful." I agree totally. But why say one style is "better" or somehow more "valid" than the other. It seems to me that Gospel music is no less spritual. Why not play a Bach chorale? Why not play a song that everyone knows the words to and understands the message?

However, saying that yoga music is somehow more spiritual or that it doesn't cause any negative associations, is just plain conjecture.

The transcendent can be found in all types of music. It can be found in Rock, Country, Folk, Classical, and Medieval, as well as many types of world music.

In our area an instructor went to the yoga journal conference and brought back quite a bit of Indian music, Jai Utal, Deva Premarin, and several others. Several of the students complained so she cut it back.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-15 7:38 PM (#16992 - in reply to #16978)

Expert Yogi

YogaGuy - 2005-02-15 4:53 PM

People can be just as annoyed by Krishna Das as by Led Zeppelin.

Beyond that, why is praising Shiva better than praising G-d or Jimi Hendrix or just singing about Love?

Annoyed with Led Zeppelin or Krishna Das???!! Not possible. Now James Taylor, there's
another story --- music to commit suicide by, if you ask me.

You're right on the others as well: Shiva is G-d, and G-d is love, and love is a flower, and
Flower Power connects back to Jimi, via 1969...so forget about all that and just Sing!

miss dee
Posted 2005-02-15 9:56 PM (#16995 - in reply to #16978)

QUOTE:: I just think you are maybe denegrating popular music for no good reason. Or placing some special importance on spiritual/kirtan/yoga music that may or may not be deserved.

You said yourself that "music is very powerful." I agree totally. But why say one style is "better" or somehow more "valid" than the other. It seems to me that Gospel music is no less spiritual. Why not play a Bach chorale? Why not play a song that everyone knows the words to and understands the message?

You should play what you like and that is a matter of taste and is part of your style. However, saying that yoga music is somehow more spiritual or that it doesn't cause any negative associations, is just plain conjecture.
END QUOTE

Hello Ya'll:

I am pleased to have brought up some discussion.
I am not on the spot nor feel defensive.
BUT I am moved to mention this is not conjecture...

Yoga is in the guna (quality) of sattva (goodness)-- so are, kirtan, bajan and other forms of spiritual chanting or singing, and most classical orchestral music. It makes sense that one would offer music in the same mode as the practice. I choose to take advantage of this time to maximize the karma points with Deva Premal- WAH!- Krishna Das- Jai Uttal and others.

Most "popular' music is in the the gunas of rajas (passion) or tamas (darkness). According to this ancient theory, these are less desirable for yoga practice.

AND when I am blasting down the street on my inline skates, my iPod shuffle blares The red hot chili peps, Hendrix, bluegrass, hip hop AND Krishna das. Passionate music for a passionate activities.

in regard to no one understanding the chants... as a bhakta I know it matters not if you 'understand' in your mind... your heart gets the message loud and clear.

Dee

Give love with no remorse.
-Anthony Kiedis
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-16 9:53 AM (#17015 - in reply to #16995)

Well said, Dee.
MrD
Posted 2005-02-16 5:08 PM (#17047 - in reply to #16583)

Keith,

Where the heck did you find out about MPB (Musica Popular Brasileira)? It's just not something that most people know about.

Brazilians like their music either Hot or smooth. Surprizingly you know about both kinds.

Good choices in artists by the way.

Ray.

Edited by MrD 2005-02-16 5:10 PM
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-16 5:16 PM (#17048 - in reply to #17047)

MrD - 2005-02-16 5:08 PM

Keith,

Where the heck did you find out about MPB (Musica Popular Brasileira)? It's just not something that most people know about.

Brazilians like their music either Hot or smooth. Surprizingly you know about both kinds.

Good choices in artists by the way.

Ray.

Ray
I hang around with a lot of Brazilians and/or people that like Brazilians (Brazilophiles). So I keep my ears open. I'm a big musicphile so my tastes run toward ecclectic.

Please feel free to make more suggestions as I am always looking for something Hot or Smooth.

Muito obrigado
Keith
MrD
Posted 2005-02-16 5:40 PM (#17051 - in reply to #17048)

Two that come to mind, right now are Toquinho e Vinicio, or Cristina Branco. Christina is a Portuguesa but she has some amazingly cool Fado songs without all of the angst that genre brings. I absolutely love her latest album. You shouldn't notice too much difference in the accent since the Rio de Janeiro accent most artists sing with is based on the Lisbon one. Unfortunately my record store decided to clear out of much of their world music, but I'll check and see what I can do.

If you want hot music, nothing beats Rio during Carnival, nothing.

Edited by MrD 2005-02-16 5:48 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)