YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yogi's thoughts on Music :)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-16 6:04 PM (#17054 - in reply to #16978)
Subject: RE: Yogi's thoughts on Music :

YogaGuy - 2005-02-16 10:53 PM
Why not play a Bach chorale?

You're kiddin', right? I'm not a huge fan of baroque music but playing Bach chorales as ambient background noise during a yoga class would be like driving slow in Schumacher's newest Ferrari GP racing-car! JS Bach's music is supposed to be listened to. It's much to challenging and ambitious and therefore would draw the concentration away off the yoga practice. It would be downright disrespectful to misuse it for something as profane as a yoga class.
That said, I have to admit that I'm more into Heavy Metal, Punk, Reggae and Jazz.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-16 6:15 PM (#17055 - in reply to #17054)

Expert Yogi

Actual, a Chorale sounds really ponderous.... "Christ Lag in Todes Banden"
Might be good for Warrior I, you know? Stand there thinking somber thoughts.

Maybe the Two and Three Part Inventions, instead?

Edited by Bay Guy 2005-02-16 6:16 PM
MrD
Posted 2005-02-16 6:34 PM (#17056 - in reply to #17055)

Bay Guy - 2005-02-16 6:15 PM

Actual, a Chorale sounds really ponderous.... "Christ Lag in Todes Banden"
Might be good for Warrior I, you know? Stand there thinking somber thoughts.

Maybe the Two and Three Part Inventions, instead?

Now wouldn't that depend on the Chorale? One of my yoga instructors plays the Benedictine Monk chant, and another retularly plays baroque or other classical music. Sometimes it's really fun.

The thing I've been discouraged about is several Classical Music for Yoga albums. They seem to want the music to be monotonous and positively sleepy. It's OK if I want to relax before going to bed, but not for a decent vinyasa.

Now David Lanz (older music), David Arkenstone, Will Ackerman, George Winston, Jim Brickman, that's better.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-16 6:53 PM (#17058 - in reply to #17056)

Expert Yogi

Well, "Christ Lag...." is ponderous. Trust me. "Now Je-su-us Christ the Son of
Man [take a big breath] for our defence hath ri-i-i-sen. [take another big
breath] The anci-e-ent le-ven now forget [take another breath]...etc" Actually,
maybe this would be good for pranayama. Snicker snicker.

Bay Guy (ex-choirboy)
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-16 6:54 PM (#17059 - in reply to #16583)
Subject: RE: Yogi's thoughts on Music :)

I merely mentioned Bach Chorales and Gospel as alternative forms of spiritual music. I agree that most religious oratorios, gregorian chants and chorale music would probably make for horrible yoga music, but I'm sure we could find some notable exceptions. I merely wanted to point out that there was other music that uplifted the spirit besides Jai Uttal and Deval Premal. I don't think yoga music has a monopoly on spirituality.

It's kind of easy to put on a "music for yoga"-type CD and not really think about it. They are pretty good as background music and have an eastern flavor to them that lends nicely to most classes. I just think that some people can abuse that and get lazy. I think you can send a powerful message with the songs you play. Whether it is light hearted and easy by playing some pop music or very spiritual and chant based.

I think that when I have a class of beginners and they start hearing yoga music it calms them down and makes them pay attention because it is foreign to them and has a solemnity to it. They sense there is some ancient voodoo afoot. However, the same music I think becomes ponderous to more veteran practitioners. They sometimes get dragged down by hearing the same old songs.

It's a hard balance. Sometimes it is best to just forget about music altogether.

I try to mix things up. I think the right answer is to give your students a wonderful yoga class and from day to day and student to student that can change and be something different. You never really know until you go there and try to find the song, the sequence of poses, the words and adjustments that light up your students.

bomberpig
Posted 2005-02-17 7:29 AM (#17084 - in reply to #17054)

afroyogi - 2005-02-16 6:04 PM

YogaGuy - 2005-02-16 10:53 PM
Why not play a Bach chorale?

You're kiddin', right? I'm not a huge fan of baroque music but playing Bach chorales as ambient background noise during a yoga class would be like driving slow in Schumacher's newest Ferrari GP racing-car! JS Bach's music is supposed to be listened to. It's much to challenging and ambitious and therefore would draw the concentration away off the yoga practice. It would be downright disrespectful to misuse it for something as profane as a yoga class.
That said, I have to admit that I'm more into Heavy Metal, Punk, Reggae and Jazz.

Sorry Stefan I have to disagree with you on this one. Just because a piece of music is intellectually/analytically difficult/challenging doesn't necessarily mean it can't be listen to purely as beautiful sounds. I play Bach's Art of Fugue when I practise at home, you can't get much more challenging than that as music goes - but I love it as sound. I can hear God in it. When I practise I breath in and out and feel God around me.

Have you seen pictures of the Mandelbrot set ? A mathematician looking at it will probably think about the algebraic formula that generates it ( I can't key this in the keyboard ) and all the mathematical intricacies that goes with it, but another person will just see a beautiful, intereting picture. I wouldn't mind it as a screensaver on my computer really.

And Miss Dee, I have just been to my first kirtan concert ( Krishna Das ). And I would HATE to practise yoga with this stuff in the background. Guess everyone has different taste.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-17 2:06 PM (#17100 - in reply to #16583)

Good point, Janet. Problem is, since I'm not particularly into Bach, for me listening to him is work, hard work. I cannot find anything nice or beautiful in Bach's Music, even less godly. I can only listen to it as a analytic. So for me as background music it would just be a nuisance. If you can practice yoga to it, good for you. I take back everything I posted originally and rest my case

SO BE IT
ashpoo
Posted 2005-02-17 3:28 PM (#17101 - in reply to #16583)
Subject: RE: Yogi's thoughts on Music :)

I like everything except Opera and Country music ^^. Although I like classical music. I'm just not into the singing in opera sorry. But everything else I like to listen... And I mean everything ^^. I sometimes listen to music that's in a different language, but I still listen to it. So my music style hasn't change. But I don't listen to music when doing yoga, but I don't have a problem with listening to it if most of the group wants to, at home I like silence. I don't get much of it anyway ^^

Edited by ashpoo 2005-02-17 3:31 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)