YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fasting
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

frog71_uk
Posted 2005-02-11 9:06 AM (#16603)
Subject: Fasting

Hello all;

Lent started a few days ago and I sometimes use this period to try new things and find out a bit more about myself. I'm not religious, but lent is convenient because it allows me to give it off as a reason for doing what I'm trying when I can't be bothered going into much details with some people.

A couple of years ago, I was a bit drastic and cut down on all animal products, alcohol and cigarettes for the duration. I got much out of it, both in terms of learning to deal with my own impulses for food etc, and by realising the amount of social pressure you receive from people (the friendly ones are the toughest) if you do something that is not within the norm of the group. It wasn't a heatlhy regime though, as I didn't know what to eat very much.

I have quit smoking since then and my alcohol consumption is not source of concern, so this year I want to investigate nutrition again, especially with regards to vegetarian eating. I got some books about it, both dealing with the nutritional and morals of it as well as a nice recipe book.

Two days in, I have not eaten meat, but I have not kept to the healthy aspect of it either. So I come to realise that this is going to be a lot more about learning and discipline than I initially thought.

Because this is not just about about learning how to eat and about what I eat, but also how I behave towards food, I am thinking of adding a few days fast in this period.

I have found some information about fasting on the net e.g. http://www.freedomyou.com/ but wanted to get personal accounts of your experiences. I think quite a few of you are vegetarians, maybe some have done fasts before too? I remember Neel said he fasted for 50 days once, that's incredible. Obviously I'm not ready for this, I'm thinking of trying one day at a time, then maybe try two. Even not eating for three days seems impossible? How does your body cope without food for so long? Does it mean you cannot do any physical activity? After a while, I would imagine you would be pretty much house bound?

If you have any advice, any stories you have time to share with me, I would appreciate.

Take care

Edited by frog71_uk 2005-02-11 9:09 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-02-11 10:01 AM (#16610 - in reply to #16603)
Subject: RE: Fasting

Expert Yogi

frog - I am not a fan of fasting nor a vegetarian myself, so I have no insights for you. My feeling is though, that if you are still working on issues around eating well as a vegetarian, maybe that is a good work for you to do now. Really concentrate on making great veg food and consuming it with awareness and gratitude. If you do decide to fast, maybe start with one day. I would guess Saturday would be good if you work a "typical" work week. Then you have Sunday to recuperate if you get fatigued. I think more than that would require some careful supervision by someone who really knows what fasting is all about.
Bapfreak
Posted 2005-02-11 10:54 AM (#16615 - in reply to #16603)

I fast sometimes for religious purposes, but only for a few meals. Fasting for many days is very unhealthy. While fasting for short periods of time might draw out impurities in the body, fasting for days is not a smart idea. When you don't eat enough glucose your body goes into accelerated gluconeogenesis. Gluconeogenesis is the state in which you body breaks down muscle for protein. Your liver then converts the protein for needed glucose. Also, in this state your body kicks up the production of cholesteral. In simple terms, this means that you will lose muscle mass, your metabolism will go down, and your cholesteral up (After doing many crazy long fasts over the years you will devolop serious health problems like heart disease). As for being a vegeterian, If you are converting to vegeterianism for personal moral reasons then I respect that. But, if you are becoming a vegeterian for "health" reasons don't do it. I have had two relatives die of protein deficiency (they were vegeterians). I have one brother who currently is devoloping health problems because of it. He use to go on and on about how much longer he would live than me. What baffles me is that you are willing to quit smoking and be a vegeterian but you are not wiling to quit alcohol. There is nothing redeeming about alcohol. It will cause more problems, EVEN IN MODERATION, than "deadly meat" consumption. I don't smoke or drink and I would recommend the same to everyone. Personally, I am a hunter and can't really relate to anyone who thinks eating meat is wrong, BUT if that is the case I respect that and STRONGLY reccommend that you supplement your diet with SOY PROTIEN. Eat enough to get at least 60Grams of Protein a day or 0.8Grams of Protein per pound of body weight. What I would reccommend as the best option is quiting smoking and drinking permamently and eating only whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and lean cuts of meat. Supplement this diet with Flaxseed oil or some other type of Polyunsaturated Fat. Make sure that 30/40% of your KCals come from Carbohydrate, 30/40% come from Protein and that ~25% from healthy fat. Eat 10X you weight in KCals (Calories). From the looks of it, it sound like you already are making dietary changes and I applaude you. Drink plenty of grapefruit juice and take lots of Vitamin C to flush out that tobacoo.
flipcat
Posted 2005-02-11 3:46 PM (#16641 - in reply to #16603)

dearest frog,

I am a vegan who had dabbled at a fast or two, but I am no authority here. It seems that 'something' is drawing you toward vegetarianism. I strongly urge you to delve into yourself and find out what chord is sounding there. Research both vegetarian and hunter-gatherer philosophies. Nutrition research is a pain because you really can find a science paper to support whatever nutritional philosophy you wish to eat that day. I just know that if you are not strong in your 'reasons' to make a change, it makes it very difficult to have conviction when times are tough. (Also remember that you don't ever have to discuss your 'reasons' with anyone else if you don't wish too. People get very curious and I believe they mean very well, but it just opens the door to derail you. If you know what you want and why, then don't invite trouble if you don't have to).

As far as fasting goes my opinion is that it is a powerful thing. Just like yoga or any other powerful tool, it should be done correctly and under the guidance of a teacher. Fasting (although seemingly simple enough) is fairly complex. Those struggling with food addictions can be drawn to fasts as a way to feed their addiction (anorexia) or to punish themselves (emotional eaters or food addicts who fast without proper support and guidance and use their perceived failure to beat themselves up). Done correctly, fasting can detoxify the body and spirit, and free you from food addiction and relieve some ailments.

My advice is to tackle one bull at a time. If you chose to fast, do it correctly and go to a reputable retreat. Also remember that as the body detoxifies, you will feel like crud. (Not a good thing if you have the biggest project deadline of your career coming up).

Best of luck to you!

Amy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)