YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Favourite & Least Fave Asanas?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-20 12:02 PM (#17268 - in reply to #16625)
Subject: RE: Favourite & Least Fave Asa

Uncouth??? You sure we're talking about the same part of the body here? Belly, tummy, it's all the same isn't it? The area starting roughly somewhere underneath your rib cage and ends slightly over your pubic area, at least in my case where there is an actually visible 'bump'. So, no matter if male or female, the area in question is not involved with any sexual organs. What's uncouth when referring to it as belly?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-02-20 12:19 PM (#17270 - in reply to #17268)

Expert Yogi

Stefan - you must remember that "polite" society in North America for our generation was modelled after Victorian England, whose influence is finally fading, thank goodness! See Christine's posts about not passing gas The Victorians, at their zenith, used to put skirts around the legs of pianos for "modesty". They had expressions like, "horses sweat, gentlemen perspire, ladies 'glow'" so you can imagine the area from ribcage to *ahem* pubic bone was simply not discussed in decent society. It wasn't quite like that when we were kids but the mentality was still there in a quiet way.
MrD
Posted 2005-02-20 1:42 PM (#17273 - in reply to #16625)

My dad grew up on a farm so there are some distinctions we used to have to do that may be fading.

You Rear Kids, but you Raise Animals.

When you had chicken, or turkey you always ate the white meat, or the dark meat. Definitely didn't use the B____ word, and rarely could you get away with saying leg or thigh around my Grandmother.

I also used to get corrected with Horses have Bellies, but people have Stomachs.

Of course it still carries over today. When someone says that he has a beer belly he's not being flattering.

Edited by MrD 2005-02-20 1:47 PM
MrD
Posted 2005-02-20 2:07 PM (#17277 - in reply to #16625)

Afro, When it comes to shoulder stand, it sounds to me like you may need to modify your shoulderstand like I did when me neck was weaker. The viniyoga shoulderstand doesn't rock straight up. It stays on the shoulderblades, and the legs are not straight up, but rather you bend at the waist.

It doesn't hurt the neck, and puts less pressure on the shoulders.

Some also call it Viparata Karani, or Ardha Sarvangasana. Here's some variations.

http://yogadancer.com/Pages/Sarvangasana.shtml#Salamba

Edited by MrD 2005-02-20 2:17 PM
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-20 5:29 PM (#17297 - in reply to #16625)

Now I'm confused even more. Isn't a belly what is visible from the outside while stomach is the non-scientist term for the intestine?

Although some of the shoulderstand variations on Christine's site look very nice it's not my neck that gives me problems but rather my elbows. My shoulder is not open enough yet to bring them close together behind my back so they stick out sidewards. That puts all the pressure onto the "funny bone" (in lack of the correct english term) and hurts quite a big deal. To be honest it already hurts by just touching it. So, even if I don't straighten out my legs the weight is still on the elbows. As soon as I take my legs further over my head (to reach plough) they are relieved and everything is fine again. Let's not forget that I carry some extra weight around the center of my body that needs to be supported by the elbows.
I hope that by practicing some extra shoulder openers I will soon be able to do better.

Thanx

Edited by afroyogi 2005-02-20 5:32 PM
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-03-11 11:42 AM (#18762 - in reply to #16625)
Subject: RE: Favourite & Least Fave Asanas?

Hiya Dragon,

This is late response to your question on: Least & favourite yoga position." Its been a while since I checked the site, bit I reckon better late than never!

Usually with Fish, we tuck our hands under our butts and try lower ourselves down. I find this most uncomfortable and sometime difficult to execute evenly.

I prefer to lie flat on my back, arms tucked in a straight line under my body with my index fingers meeting just under my buttocks. Upon inhalation I pull my weight up through my fore-arms and gently relax back so the crown of my head rests on the floor. It takes a little while to get used to but is much easier than the former version. I always stress in my classes that yogis do not rest their full weight on their heads, rather just rest your head on the floor, but maintain the connection in your forearms and abdominal muscles.

Let me know how it works for you, or even if it deifferent from what yr already doing.

Namaste!
CGG
Posted 2005-03-13 10:58 PM (#19000 - in reply to #16625)

yogi-boy - 2005-02-11 1:00 PM

Whats yout favourite / least favourite pose and why?

Downward Facing Dog is probably my absolute favorite pose. I just love it, and all it's variations. Nothing feels quite so good to me.

I'm also fond of hip openers especially Pigeon.

Tree makes me a crazy person though. It's the only pose I actively dislike doing.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-14 9:50 AM (#19020 - in reply to #19000)

Expert Yogi

CGG - I too have serious issues with tree pose and feel deeply humbled by how easily some folks do it. I have a secret fear I'll be asked to teach it in my upcoming assessment for teacher certification
CGG
Posted 2005-03-14 10:04 AM (#19023 - in reply to #19020)

tourist - 2005-03-14 9:50 AM

CGG - I too have serious issues with tree pose and feel deeply humbled by how easily some folks do it. I have a secret fear I'll be asked to teach it in my upcoming assessment for teacher certification

It seems to be one of those postures that comes easily, or is a constant struggle. There doesn't seem to be an in between with it. Good luck on your certifation BTW.
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-14 8:41 PM (#19079 - in reply to #19023)

Lately I love ardrah chadrasana (sp - you all know my sanskrit sucks) . I've been nailing it like there's no tomorrow.

I still hate handstand. I'm trying to come to terms with it, but I hate it. Only way I can do it is to push off from the wall, or let my teacher drag my fat butt up into it...
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-15 2:16 AM (#19116 - in reply to #19079)

Gruvemom - 2005-03-16 10:41 AM

Lately I love ardrah chadrasana (sp - you all know my sanskrit sucks) . I've been nailing it like there's no tomorrow.

I still hate handstand. I'm trying to come to terms with it, but I hate it. Only way I can do it is to push off from the wall, or let my teacher drag my fat butt up into it...

well, i am with you on the handstand sister...my problem - the walls in my flat are so thin that when i practice handstands i am certain the neighbours think there is a domestic violence situation

you know last year i really hated utkasana and purvottanasana...sometime in december i just got over disliking them and they seem to be so much better than before...i actually like doing them now

this year i will trade all of my dhanurasana, parsva dhanurasana, urdhva dhanurasana....(it an ongoing theme!) for all of bruces savasana - me no likey.....

i am enjoying the entire shoulderstand series that i do especially karnapiidasana and eku pada sethu bandha sarvangasana...love those two at the moment

bomberpig
Posted 2005-03-15 4:59 AM (#19122 - in reply to #16625)

I can't find a wall at home to pracise my handstand. It's a real impediment.

A funny thing's been happening. I hate parsvakonasana and always dread doing it. but everytime I do it in class my teacher compliments me on it. Weird huh.

Still working on my down dog. Maybe I will get the alignment right when I am 80. Just discovered I have knocked knees too, guess that explains the shin splints when I try to run.
CGG
Posted 2005-03-15 6:54 AM (#19125 - in reply to #19122)

I can't find a wall at home to pracise my handstand. It's a real impediment.

We cleared a wall in the house so I could work on mine. I'm very new to hand stand, but I enjoy the heck out of it.
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-15 9:31 AM (#19139 - in reply to #16625)

Hehehe, I don't have a wall to stand on either!

And barely room to put out pillows to work on headstand - but I did it the other day and mentally it helped immensely! It's slowly becoming one of my favorite asanas to work on, even if I don't quite have it yet.

For a time Janusirsasana was killing me - it induced a near panicked state - but once I gave in to that panic it eased up and now I enjoy it more. Still not a favorite, but sometimes it's even likeable.

Pigeon remains a favorite, though, as does vrksasana - I love llove love them!
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-15 11:19 AM (#19147 - in reply to #16625)

In the short time I've been practicing, I've noticed that I have started to warm up to poses I HATED when I first started. For example:

Warrier I & II: these literally would piss me off, but now i like how strong I feel in them!
Shoulderstand: as I've gotten stronger this pose has become a nice finishing pose that I look forward too!

Though,I still hate:
utah plutihi (sp??....its the one where you hold yourself up in lotus...UGH UGH UGH)
Reverse Triangle
Kurmasana (mostly because I can't do it...it hurts!)

But I LOVE:
Surya Namaskar A (B is growing on me)
All the poses in the Primary Series after Supta Kurmasana!
Especially Chakrasana...so fun!

(Fun thread, BTW!!)

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-15 5:46 PM (#19156 - in reply to #19147)

Tigrsunam, I find the same thing... I once hated... triangle pose! Now, I don't mind it so much.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-15 6:36 PM (#19159 - in reply to #19156)

Expert Yogi

To all those with wall space problems - try practicing behind or in front of a closed door. Just be sure all other residents of the space are aware and don't come barging in and crash you inot a heap Where there's a will, there's a way.
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-15 10:47 PM (#19183 - in reply to #16625)

I don't have doors either! Well, I have a front door, but it's in this weird little tuck-away that I can only assume they did to make it seem like you have a hallway into the studio apartment - it's only as wide as the door itself, and if I go hands over I come down into the entertainment center - ouch!!! I'll stick to headstand for now, and work in handstand at the studio! But someday I'll have my very own yoga room. Wait and see!
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-16 1:08 AM (#19193 - in reply to #16625)

I LOVE flower. Its so simple, and FUN! I think it's pretty too. I also like downward dog. I always picture my heart 'resting' lol.

Hmmmm..... Im not a fan of the crab pose. Probably a few others that I can't remember esspecially right now. Ill get back to that ;)

I like hearing others perspectives on the different asanas. It's neat.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-16 4:33 AM (#19197 - in reply to #19193)

Flower and crab poses? Do you know what the Sanskrit names are as I'd love to look these up as I'm always keen to try a new pose.

Thanks,

Fee
CGG
Posted 2005-03-16 7:17 AM (#19201 - in reply to #19197)

Orbilia - 2005-03-16 4:33 AM

Flower and crab poses? Do you know what the Sanskrit names are as I'd love to look these up as I'm always keen to try a new pose.
Fee

Never heard of them either. Is crab maybe reverse table?
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-16 8:30 AM (#19204 - in reply to #16625)

Huh, well I couldnt find a true example online. Im a little embarassed to say, our instructor teaches also to children, and this pose (flower) is one she uses for the kids, haha. Thats why it is fun.
I can explain: You start off in butterfly pose, then, place hands under the ankles so that it is your wrist directly under (palms up). Gracefully tip back to balance on tailbone. Hold, then gently release. Hope that makes sense.
As for the crab, it very well could be reverse table. I couldnt find a pic, and since Ive never done one, perhaps the teacher calls it crab pose instead.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-16 8:42 AM (#19208 - in reply to #19204)

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a flower opening I like some of the kids' poses. Frog's fun.

Fee
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)