YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Women's Health Question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Dragon
Posted 2005-02-12 3:09 PM (#16704)
Subject: Women's Health Question

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you out there have found any life-altering books, dvds, articles, (anything!), on the utilization of Yoga in relieving menstrual cramps?

I found one nice article:

Yoga for PMS and Menstrual Cramps

I also found a book, I may purchase online called Yoga for a Healthy Menstrual Cycle
by Linda Sparrowe. Anyone read it?

MASSIVE PAINKILLERS has been my only relief so far. I'd like to be able to do something besides be unconscious (or praying to be). Does anyone else have any suggestions (comments/snide remarks)?

Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-02-12 7:16 PM (#16721 - in reply to #16704)
Subject: RE: Women's Health Question

Expert Yogi

Linda Sparrowe's books are good. I believe that one is sort of an excerpt of Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness. In general a good, well rounded practice will make a difference and carefully observing the practices for menstruation will help a bit more. But nothing is 100% and I am still rather fond of my painkillers on those days. For years anti-inflammatories worked best so you could try ibuprofin like Motrin, Advil etc. Adventure racers call it "Vitamin I" and swallow it by the handful. Not recommended. If you are in the US you can get Aleve, which is naproxin and it is good, too. For the completel yogic approach, which I am sure involves fasting (
) you'll have to talk to Neel.
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-12 8:45 PM (#16724 - in reply to #16721)

Thanks for the reply tourist! :-)

I think I will get that Linda Sparrowe book. The more I'm reading about it, the more I want it! I read some little parts of it online, and it seems really good. I also found an article she's written here.

As for the meds, I've tried all you listed (Aleve included). I can even take 8 Advils (Ibuprofrin) at a time (as in like 8 Advil four times per day), and it gererally barely phases the pain. So I guess I really do "swallow it by the handful." I know, I know, that's overdosing. My doctor's solution has always been birth control pills which don't do a thing except allow me to predict the dreaded days when I take the green pills opposed to the white ones. I basically stay in a fetal position, unable to do any activity for 24+ hours. The great thing about Motrin though is it helps with water weight gain. :-)

I see a lot of asanas that are recommended, but do any actually help? The only one I've found effective for me so far has been the "Double Wind Relieving Pose" (Vatayanasana). I hope that's right. Where one is lying on ones back with both knees to the chest.

I guess my question is more like what else can one do to help besides meds? I'd like to find a way to be able to function during this time. I've always had to go in late or call in when working or miss classes when I was in college because of menstruation. Just looking for a way to improve the old quality of life.

Thanks for your comments tourist!

Edited by Dragon 2005-02-12 8:45 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-02-13 11:35 AM (#16754 - in reply to #16724)

Expert Yogi

Oh you poor thing! I sympathize. I really do. I do know one woman who actually has to go into hospital for an injection of anti-inflams since she seizes up and passes out on a frightenly regular basis. Yikes!

Yes, the birth control pills can be helpful, although even back in the olden days (1970's. Yes, I am that old ) when they were stronger, they didn't work for me until I had been on them for over a year and I know younger women on them now that find they don't help much. I was also told having a baby would help but it absolutely did NOT. Glad I didn't try that when I was 16! From my unscientific research, it works for only about 50% of women.

Have you tried all of the "natural" methods? Evening primrose oil? (made mine worse) Raspberry tea, the cohosh herbs? Adding calcium and magnesium can be good as well. I am going back on those as I recall some help there in the past. Apparently muscle cramping in general is linked to mineral imbalance.

The best asana "cure" for cramps for me was halasana but it is not recommended during menstruation. When I was a young teen practicing from pages ripped out of women's magazines, I would stay in halasana for up to 30 minutes to ease the cramps. What did I know?

My current doctor has known me for a long time and entrusts me with a decent sized prescription for tylenol 3 and a gentle muscle relaxer (flexeril, I think) . They are each useful for cramps and migraines. Workig with women, I do get some empathy but since women who have never "been there" just don't understand the pain, it is sometimes limited. Phoning in "sick" with cramps just doesn't feel right so I try not to do it.

Best of luck and you can cry on my shoulder any day
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-13 3:30 PM (#16771 - in reply to #16704)

I've struggled with this for many years as well, and just had my 4th surgery for endometriosis on Friday. Obviously yoga hasn't brought me to complete cure, since I have had so much surgery!! But I can tell you some things that relieved symptoms.

1) NO CAFFIENE - at least during your period. Caffiene makes the uterus and intestines cramp up and will make any cramps you may have much much worse. You can experiment with this during the rest of the month to see if you might need to go without it completely. I find that just abstaining during my period is enough to keep the cramps at bay (but if you drink a lot of coffee or cola the rest of the month, going cold turkey might give you a headache).

2) Avoid dairy if you can. If you must have dairy, try to get organic, hormone-free milk, cheese, ice cream, etc. I've read a bit that the hormones given to cows to keep them lactating also stimulates the human reproductive system. It makes sense. Also, dairy tends to gum up your digestion so it's best to avoid it or at least cut back. This was tough if not impossible for me, I LOVE CHEESE! I used to dream about pizza when I wasn't eating any. I wound up making my own cheeseless pizzas using a Boboli and lots of fresh veggies at home, delicious but still not the same.

3) I found that asana works best as a preventative measure, not during your cramps. When you have cramps, it's best to rest and do as little as possible. However, if you can do some belly-heating poses 1-2 weeks before your cramps begin, they may be decreased. I've had EXCELLENT luck with this. Most important are the belly-down poses like Cobra, Locust, and Bow. Some upward-facing poses, like Boat, heat the belly and work well also.

4) Take your Aleve (or whatever works best for you - Aleve was a godsend for me) as soon as you know your period is coming. It works much better if you take it before the cramps are in full-force. A lot of us like to wait and say "Maybe it won't be so bad, maybe I can handle it this time" and the medicine doesn't work as well after we're doubled-over in pain.

Those are the tips that worked best for me, at least to keep me functioning throughout the month. Linda Sparrowe also has a great book called The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health, that covers all the basis and is very good. You might also look into an author called Christiane Northrup - she has a book called Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom that is very informative if a little dry. Many years ago she had an audiocassette series called Creating Health that really got me interested in alternative health - it's awesome if you can find it anywhere. That one really did change my life.

Good luck, I hope that you find some things that work for you! Please keep us posted!

love, Jean
tourist
Posted 2005-02-13 6:52 PM (#16778 - in reply to #16771)

Expert Yogi

Thanks for that input Jean. Sounds like you're doing a bit better - at least enough to come to the computer:-) Yay!

Caffeine - yes! I had more problems when I was a heavy coffee drinker for a short while in my youth. Dunno about dairy but the idea of keeping the digestion clear is VERY important, for sure. A regular asana practice does help a lot and lots of women swear by aerobic activity so a few Sun Sals a week couldn't hurt.

Pain meds. Soooooo important to be proactive if you have decided to use pain meds of any kind. Even the mainstream medical community is finding that it is better and easier to control pain if you start ealry. Waiting until you are in severe pain means taking a lot more drugs in the end. Also, if you use anti-inflams, you must take them on a schedule as Dragon mentioned doing. Inflammation is like a burning fire. you can't control it by throwing a glass of water on it from time to time. Gotta dump the water on and keep it up until it is out.

And all of this assumes you are being checked for possible complications, such as Jean's.
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 12:46 AM (#16807 - in reply to #16704)

Thanks tourist and Jean!

First off, I'm glad to see you're on the computer again Jean. :-)

Now, my novel...

tourist - this assumes you are being checked for possible complications, such as Jean's.

I haven't been able to be checked for complications for quite sometime actually. :-P That's why right now I don't even have birth control pills to be able to predict the period (no insurance). I am getting insurance back in May for I GOT A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-) I will have a list for my doctor. The doctor I had been seeing is a woman, but she doesn't seem to take my pain seriously... she must be one of the lucky ones that have minor cramps. I may have to change doctors due to different insurance, so that may be a good thing. Even though I do like her, maybe someone else may take me more seriously.

tourist - Have you tried all of the "natural" methods? Evening primrose oil? (made mine worse) Raspberry tea, the cohosh herbs? Adding calcium and magnesium can be good as well. I am going back on those as I recall some help there in the past. Apparently muscle cramping in general is linked to mineral imbalance.

I will try that! Ironically, I LOVE raspberry tea, and I usually crave it around that time. I never thought about it helping. :-) I will be getting back on some vitamins again too.

tourist - My current doctor has known me for a long time and entrusts me with a decent sized prescription for tylenol 3 and a gentle muscle relaxer (flexeril, I think) . They are each useful for cramps and migraines.

I need to see your doctor! LOL! Strong pain killers are usually all that will work for me. I get migraines as well (fortunately not at the same time... shhhhh......). I usually save up any pain pills I acquire (dentist and things that are painful in theory) and save them for that time of the month. If I could get just a few GOOD pain pills a month I think it would help tremendously.

tourist - Phoning in "sick" with cramps just doesn't feel right so I try not to do it.

That is one of the main reasons I posted this thread - I want to avoid that! In my past job in social work, I had my 30 kids that I was responsible for, so no one could really take over my job. If I missed a day, it was okay, as long as I got my 90+ visits in somewhere, you know? In my new job, I won't be able to do that, so that's why I'm writing for these wonderful alternatives. :-)

jeansyoga - 1) NO CAFFIENE - at least during your period. Caffiene makes the uterus and intestines cramp up and will make any cramps you may have much much worse.

I did not know that. I am the Queen of Diet Mountain Dew. My blood is green and is all caffeine. :-) Okay, I'm not THAT bad, I have cut down A LOT. My NEED is down to one big 20 oz. per day. Much better than the 6 pack I used to drink per day... on top of coffee. :-) Maybe I can substitute that raspberry tea and have just a little caffeine. NOTE TO SELF - buy raspberry tea tomorrow...

jeansyoga - 2) Avoid dairy if you can.

I hadn't heard that one. Can and will do!

jeansyoga - 3) I found that asana works best as a preventative measure, not during your cramps. When you have cramps, it's best to rest and do as little as possible. However, if you can do some belly-heating poses 1-2 weeks before your cramps begin, they may be decreased. I've had EXCELLENT luck with this. Most important are the belly-down poses like Cobra, Locust, and Bow. Some upward-facing poses, like Boat, heat the belly and work well also.

I've been doing the Cobra (that one's tough for me!), I just began Locust this month, and haven't tried the Bow yet. I've been doing the Boat just this month too. Maybe next month I will be able to tell a difference.

jeansyoga - 4) Take your Aleve (or whatever works best for you - Aleve was a godsend for me) as soon as you know your period is coming.

I've been doing that. Some months it helps, and some months I'm still in the fetal position. I shutter to imagine if I hadn't been proactive... *cringe*

jeansyoga - Linda Sparrowe also has a great book called The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health, that covers all the basis and is very good.

I looked at that book today! I will buy it when I get my first paycheck, lol! I'd like to get that other book by her that I mentioned as well.

jeansyoga - Christiane Northrup - she has a book called Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom

Will look for that one too. :-)

tourist - A regular asana practice does help a lot and lots of women swear by aerobic activity so a few Sun Sals a week couldn't hurt.

Besides these past two days, I have been doing Yoga every day for right at a month! :-) *yeah!* Unfortunately, when it comes to that aerobic stuff, I'm way slacked. The Sun Sals make me dizzy, but I'm going to try to start doing them very slowly, and see what comes of it.

tourist - Inflammation is like a burning fire. you can't control it by throwing a glass of water on it from time to time. Gotta dump the water on and keep it up until it is out.

Love those analogies. :-)

A question - when is it okay to start regularly practicing Yoga again? After the bleeding totally stops, or just at a state of no cramping? I know inversions are bad, but that's about all I know. I'm still doing pranayama at night, but I just don't want to take too big of a break and get lazy!

Thanks for all your input you two! I greatly appreciate it! I will get to work on it... especially that raspberry tea! *yum!*

tourist
Posted 2005-02-14 10:22 AM (#16866 - in reply to #16807)

Expert Yogi

Nice novel for a dragon Have I pointed you to the menstrual series yet? You will find a similar practice in the Sparrowe book but here is one online http://yogacircle.com/asana_menses.html. You can do all of the poses while menstruating but the big cramp day you might want to just stay fetal The only change to the online practice is that we tend to not always keep the arms overhead in the supta positions (it doesn't have supta virasana - that might be a good one for you) but by the sides like savasana. Trikonasana, Warrior II, Parsvakonasna, Prasarita Padottanasana are other "allowed" poses but you need to be feeling better and use support (put your back at the wall and allow the wall to support you in the pose). Sometimes getting into the hips is a big help. Huh - I just noticed they don't show baddhakonasana or upavista konasana supported at the wall. I have one friend who swears by upavista upright at the wall to get rid of her cramps. For women, baddha konasana and upavista are good any old time
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 9:17 PM (#16905 - in reply to #16866)

tourist - oooh, I like the link!!! I will try those out. I've not been able to do anything except pranayama for three days! I feel so stiff!

I will try some of the postures you've suggested as well, thanks for the feedback - it is greatly appreciated. :-) :-) :-) I can't wait to buy/read the Sparrowe book!

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-14 9:51 PM (#16909 - in reply to #16905)

Expert Yogi

....menses ....ah!!... why doesn't someone invent Iron John yoga for we
men when we are having... oh... forget it!

Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 9:59 PM (#16913 - in reply to #16909)

Bay Guy,

For some reason I knew a guy would wonder in here... hence my snide remarks comment in the intro, lol!

Start a men's health post. Call it iron John Yoga!

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-14 10:08 PM (#16915 - in reply to #16913)

Expert Yogi

Men have issues too!!!!! Big issues!!!! Great big issues!!!! But we can't
talk about them, so we have to act out instead. I'm going to go start
a war!!! Or kill off a social program!!! Or buy a large truck!!! With a big
big engine!!! My favorite team is better than your favorite team!!!

Yes, I'm having a bad day. It's that time for me!!!
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 10:19 PM (#16917 - in reply to #16915)

I was in social work, so I know men have issues too!

Feel free to vent here, you'll feel much better!

Sorry you're having a bad day - that's just valentine's day for you (unless you're married I guess!).

But we can't
talk about them, so we have to act out instead. I'm going to go start
a war!!! Or kill off a social program!!! Or buy a large truck!!! With a big
big engine!!! My favorite team is better than your favorite team!!

You CAN talk about them (the issues), men just generally choose not to do so (in my experience anyway).

Notice male friend is acting weird/different/quiet: "Is something wrong?"
Male friend: "Huh?"
...repeat previous question...
"No, nothing's wrong."
"Are you sure? You're very quiet today."
Male friend begins to bite the inquiring friend's head off becasue something IS wrong and doesn't want to talk about it. After a while of silence (since the inquiring friend's feelings are hurt), male friend apologizes and tap dances around the problem at hand.

So what sucked about your day?
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-14 10:28 PM (#16920 - in reply to #16917)

Expert Yogi

Nothing's wrong!! No!! Nada!!! READ MY LIPS: nothing is wrong!
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-14 10:31 PM (#16922 - in reply to #16920)

Bay Guy...

I have to say I'm having a bad day too, but you're making me laugh!

I love the Iron John Yoga post. :-) That's great! I can't wait to read the replies!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)