YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opening New Studio
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Shaunaly
Posted 2005-02-12 4:02 PM (#16711)
Subject: Opening New Studio

Hi, I am new to this forum! Can anyone give me any of the expertise in opening up a new yoga studio? I am in the process and would just like some thoughts, suggestions and recommendations from anyone who has been on this path. Thanks so much!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yogabrian
Posted 2005-02-14 8:59 PM (#16902 - in reply to #16711)
Subject: RE: Opening New Studio

I can field a little info towards this one! I just opened last year and here is just the tip of feedback you will need.

1 Location, Location, Location!
2. Be prepared not to make much money personally for awhile.
3. Be prepared to teach all your classes until you can hire someone.
4. Make sure all your paperwork is in order (permits, insurance, business idendity, ect...)
5. Have a solid business plan, go to www.score.org for help!
6. Would help to have an existing following and lots of teaching exerience.
7. Be ready to clean the studio yourself.
8. Don't pay more then a $1.00 a sqft for your space.
9. Have a decent marketing plan for your particular area that is cost effective.
10. Keep all you cost as low as you can until you start making some money for yourself.
11. Above all remember YOUR practice!

Good luck, it is not as easy to run a yoga studio as you might think. Hope it works out for you!
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-16 10:57 AM (#17027 - in reply to #16711)

Extreme Veteran

Hi!
I don't know anything about opening a yoga studio, but I would recommend the 'Dummies' guide to opening your own business. It has alot of good information regardless of what type of business you are opening.
Samantha
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-23 11:23 PM (#17524 - in reply to #17027)

Yoga brain, do you have your own studio? Your points seems quite useful

Any way I’d add some interior deco tips/ questions (My area of interest )

Have some nice Yoga pics and posters in the studio., I find it very encouraging for students to get in to perfection of Asanas.

One of my friends who joined a very famous Yoga studio in Singapore told me that they light Aroma candles all over the studio. Seems its very nice and relaxing, but I don’t think that’s a good idea.

I have always seen wooden floors in yoga studios. Is that the best type of a floor for a studio?

Is it better to have big wall mirrors in the studio? I feel like its useful to correct our alignments.,
But some people say that we shouldn’t have mirrors in the studio, because it’s distracting and students will concentrate more about their appearance when they see their reflection.

If you can have a way to get fresh air and good ventilation, , I feel that would be great., My newly renovated yoga studio(I’m just a student there) has lot of French doors ., they keep these doors open when conducting lessons

You can keep few huge clay pots in some corners, filled with water and floating flowers., That gives a very fresh look

The very first studio I used to go had big posters and wall hangers of “Chakra”s and a Poster with some nice quotes from Bhagawad Geetha. It was quite nice.

I think appearance is very important, It will attract students.

tourist
Posted 2005-02-24 10:28 AM (#17552 - in reply to #17524)

Expert Yogi

Oh the mirror, floor and scent questions again! I think there are a few discussions on those issues here somewhere. Here's my view, for what its worth:
- mirrors - generally a distraction but can be useful. If you find a way to cover them and uncover them, it may be the best option.
- floors - LOTS of different ideas but wood, bamboo and cork seem to be excellent choices. We have a laminate (wood lookalike ie "Pergo") floor in several studios and it works very well, looks nice and is a cheaper option that can be installed by amateurs like DH and myself in the case of our home studio.
- scent - NO! Clean is good, anything else will undoubtedly bother somebody. I had a perfumer in class last night and although I liked the scent, it was a big distraction for me.
- walls - in an Iyengar studio we use the walls a lot so pictures need to be out of the way for hand and headstands etc. Ropes are our main "decoration"
yogabrian
Posted 2005-02-24 1:04 PM (#17571 - in reply to #16711)

Thushara,

I do own my own studio (check out my website, www.yogicmotion.com)! I think to resolve the issues you are talking about you have to look at what you are trying to accomplish. Myself, I teach a heated yoga, do personal training and teach martial arts, so what I needed was very different then most I know. I needed mirror and went with a different type of flooring then usual. One thing I did forget to mention is try and get as large as a space as you can afford. I am now looking at moving my studio or opening a second location nearby to be able to accommodate the volume I am starting to get.

Brian
sivaram
Posted 2005-03-13 7:14 AM (#18932 - in reply to #16711)

Interior space is crucial. Natural light; Indirect artificial lighting - bounced off the cieling rather than facing down on the students; light colored flooring - I see nothing wrong with commercial carpeting, thin or no padding; SOUND QUALITY - be able to teach meditation anytime, listen to the ambient sounds from the neighborhood - can you do yoga nidra?; aroma should be light and pleasant; plants are nice - oxygen ; convenient parking or transpo access; sattvic neighborhood. What else?? oh, yeah, mirrors - I don't like them personally. I want them focussing INSIDE and feeling into the asanas; but that's just me.
Best of luck!

Edited by sivaram 2005-03-13 7:16 AM
Darren
Posted 2011-12-12 7:09 PM (#209584 - in reply to #16711)
Subject: Yoga Studio Business Solution

New User

Hi there,

I am with a company called PerfectMIND. I head our yoga division here and act as both consultant, and software provider for yoga studios.

If you'd like to book a free 30 minutes consultation with me, feel free to email me at darren@perfectmind.com. I'd be more than happy to share some of the tips I've shared with 1000's of yoga studios, and there is nothing I enjoy more, than helping the startup.

Feel free to check out our website at yoga.perfectmind.com or call me at 1-877-737-8030.

I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely

Darren
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)