YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

huh??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2005-02-13 7:40 AM (#16736)
Subject: huh??

i had no idea!

http://www.yogaexpo.com/program/

anyone care to comment?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Smilla
Posted 2005-02-13 8:45 AM (#16738 - in reply to #16736)
Subject: RE: huh??

interesting link,

(I would chosen another "subject" though. maybe somethin like "Yogaexpo?" or "yoga competitions?" rather than "huh?". but on the other hand "huh?" made me currious ;-)

people know how to make a show and money out of everything. even things that should be more for one selfe and inner peace rather than vanity.

Edited by Smilla 2005-02-13 8:46 AM

Posted 2005-02-13 9:03 AM (#16739 - in reply to #16738)

I see Bikram is the presiding judge and no doubt the man behind the plan here--not surprised.
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-02-13 10:17 AM (#16742 - in reply to #16739)

What suprises me is this prevailing American projection as to what yoga is or (I hate this word) should be.

Yoga competitions have been held for centuries. It is how the teachers would gain students. It is how several renoun tradition founders met their brides. It is how, how, one known teacher continues to advertise himself.

The noncompetative element of yoga is not necessarily so overt. If you think of it in terms of competing with ourselves, or needing to be better to prove something to elusive ourselves? Yes, it's a negative.

If you look at it from a historic perspective, it's interesting. Dharma Mitra in his 60s, still travels to compete. Hearing him talk about the competitions, and how the hand is "here, not here" or the foot is turned "there, not there" is really interesting.

Get over it, guys. There are many things in life that remain about money and surviving. Yoga teachers are one of them. I don't are about all the hoo-ha about service. That's all nice, well and good, but who out there is living in a cave, homeless shelter, or card board box so they can teach yoga for free? Or who has given up their actual income to teach yoga for free? Hmmm? money is a competition, getting students is as well. The adage is that when the student is ready, the teacher will come. True, but in the meanwhile, the teacher will probably have other students, hope for others with whom to share his/her experiences (often mistaken as wisdom), and might want to eat once in awhile.

It's how and what we DO with it that makes a difference.
Yoga competitions are the same thing. It's what we DO with them that makes the difference.
I, for one, would love to go watch! Imagine the beautiful asana! And if they're not breathing? It's just gymnastics.

Christine
Smilla
Posted 2005-02-13 11:02 AM (#16749 - in reply to #16742)

I agree with you in that YogaDancer. Good point.

tourist
Posted 2005-02-13 11:11 AM (#16753 - in reply to #16742)

Expert Yogi

Yep, its true! Long tradition of yoga competitions in India. Honestly, I am half convinced that competition is what started yoga in the first place.

Indian Cave Dweller A: "Hey, look guys! I can stand on my head!"

Indian Cave Dweller B: "Big deal. I can do it with my legs twisted up like this!"

Indian Cave Dweller C: "Oh, I've been doing that for ages. What a pair of wimps! I can do it standing on my hands and turning my legs half way around. But I have to breathe really carefully or I fall down."

Yep. I see ti ALLLLLL so clearly....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)